Super Mario Galaxy's "good" graphics are an optical illusion.

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

laulaulaulau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 laulaulaulau
Member since 2006 • 42 Posts

Haha, does it matter if it is a 'optical illusion'? All we should care about is the end product and it looks great. Look, I agree the graphics when looking at first person view looks rather suspect, but other than that it is gorgeous for a wii game. It goes to show the brilliance of Nintendo for pulling this off. There are a number of 'shortcuts' Nintendo did in the game to make it look and run great. Developers should take note.

Avatar image for Apathetic-Irony
Apathetic-Irony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Apathetic-Irony
Member since 2006 • 1391 Posts
[QUOTE="Apathetic-Irony"]

[QUOTE="sexy_chimp"] [QUOTE="Apathetic-Irony"]After watching the comparison, I can honestly state Galaxy's graphics are not a big improvement over Sunshine. What IS a HUGE improvement is style, mood, and setting. And to be honest, it felt really bias in favor of Galaxy. It reminded me of those commercials where they go "Tired of your regular dessert?" in black and white with everybody sleeping at the table, then go "THEN TRY THIS MEGA ULTRA DELIC DESSERT!" in bright and vibrant colors, with everybody throwing a party.Optusnet

How is it biased? They mainly show Mario doing the same exact thing in each game.

I was stating how it felt, and used an example everybody is familier with to express the vibe the video gave off. Either way, I've already expressed my views on the title, but I'll summarize them:

• Galaxy's graphics are not a large improvement over Sunshine, from a technical perspective.
  • The mood, setting, and style is a huge improvement. Lighting is much better for the tone, and the game has a certain ambience from the combination of lighting and the stary sky.
  • Mario has very appealing graphics. Nintendo did an amazing job with them, knowing what to emphasize to give the best overall visual experience.

Those are not your views - those are facts.

By saying 'my views' as opposed to 'facts', not only do I come off as less of a jackass, but it makes it less likely that people will argue with me/flame me. :)

Erkidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#54 Erkidu
Member since 2007 • 2744 Posts
Who honestly plays games to zoom into and analyze the texture quality? :| I was too busy enjoying it. Oh, and 9.5 (GS). Oh, and 97.4% (GR).
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
Who honestly plays games to zoom into and analyze the texture quality? :| I was too busy enjoying it. Oh, and 9.5 (GS). Oh, and 97.4% (GR).Erkidu
Kinda agreed. SMG really wasn't meant to be viewed form a 1st person angle.
Avatar image for Apathetic-Irony
Apathetic-Irony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Apathetic-Irony
Member since 2006 • 1391 Posts

Who honestly plays games to zoom into and analyze the texture quality? :| I was too busy enjoying it. Oh, and 9.5 (GS). Oh, and 97.4% (GR).Erkidu

It's a bit overrated, but it's still a solid AAA title.

Glitch321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 Glitch321
Member since 2003 • 913 Posts

[QUOTE="Erkidu"]Who honestly plays games to zoom into and analyze the texture quality? :| I was too busy enjoying it. Oh, and 9.5 (GS). Oh, and 97.4% (GR).Apathetic-Irony

It's a bit overrated, but it's still a solid AAA title.

Nah, Halo 3 is overrated but Mario ain't.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#59 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
Now God of War 2 and MGS 3 are the kings of Optical illusions. They putted so many trick into making those games, it's rediculous...
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
It's the result that counts.
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts

Sad graphics whores who spend more time watching the game than playing it. They will also buy any game that has good graphics no matter how bad it plays.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
K, since you said they're an illusion I'm going to ignore the fact that they are visually pleasing to me and say the graphics suck. Maybe even go so far as to not play it :roll:
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
Did anyone bring up that making pictures move on a monitor consists of showing 24 slightly different images in one second and therefore falls under the heading of an optical illusion?
TheWiikestLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 TheWiikestLink
Member since 2006 • 1730 Posts
pics or this thread fails.