Super Mario Galaxy: Really Bad

• 173 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrEpyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MrEpyx
Member since 2007 • 716 Posts

Ok, this is the game I was praying to make me want to keep my Wii. After the travesty that is Metroid 3, I was hoping Super Mario Galaxy would be the game that would make me want to play my Wii again.

Needless to say I was extremely hopeful after GS claimed it to be the Holy Grail of gaming for 2007.

I am on the Bee Galaxy which is like the 2nd galaxy in the game. I am bored to tears and my left hand is cramped from holding the crappy nunchuck. PLEASE TELL ME IT GETS BETTER.

Challenging? No.. In fact I have over 30 extra lives at this point. The game is so not fun the whole thing feels like an absolute chore.

You can't possibly know how annoying this game is. You have zero control of the camera, yet the game relies on you moving around 3D "planets".. sometimes you are upside down, sometimes you are sideways, and sometimes you are right-side up. This is AWFUL!

The story isn't funny, the story isn't even slightly amusing. Its the same crappy Mario story that Nintendo has been shoveling in our face for years.

Honestly, if this is GOTY material I am not amused.

MASS EFFECT
BIOSHOCK
CALL OF DUTY 4
HALO 3
CRYSIS
ASSASSIN'S CREED

All of these games show more innovation and craftsmanship in their first levels than what I've seen in the first 6 of SMG. I guess we know where all that money Nintendo is making is going to... Paying off reviewers.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
Denial, I'm sorry that Lair and Halo 3 didn't win.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d773aa56272
deactivated-57d773aa56272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-57d773aa56272
Member since 2006 • 2292 Posts
From treading around some in the demo at Wal-Mart I knew it was a game that I wasn't Jonesing to play. Maybe Smash Bros. will deliver? I've already said I'm most looking forward to Wii Fitness anyway.
i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 i_like_pizza
Member since 2002 • 4683 Posts

GOTY?

SMG is the best 3D platformer that has ever been made. It has an average review of over 97%.

If you don't think it's good, I suggest you re-think what gaming is all about.

BTW, if you want a challenge, get contra 4. Nothing else that you can buy right now even comes close.

peter1191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 peter1191
Member since 2005 • 591 Posts
What the hell? At least put EFFORT into your posts. That game=amazing, and yes, I have a Wii, and I think it is the worst console of the 3 so far (software wise). Yet I have played, beat, and enjoyed, the awesomeness that is SMG.
MrEpyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrEpyx

Denial, I'm sorry that Lair and Halo 3 didn't win.UssjTrunks

I'm not saying Halo 3 or Lair should have won. I am saying SMG SHOULDN'T HAVE. Shouldn't even have been a nominee. Seriously.. this game is broken in many ways... 30 extralives already?? come on!

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts
It is good but not better than Metroid Prime 3.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

[QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]Denial, I'm sorry that Lair and Halo 3 didn't win.MrEpyx

I'm not saying Halo 3 or Lair should have won. I am saying SMG SHOULDN'T HAVE. Shouldn't even have been a nominee. Seriously.. this game is broken in many ways... 30 extralives already?? come on!

It's nice to see you haven't played it.
MrEpyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrEpyx

What the hell? At least put EFFORT into your posts. That game=amazing, and yes, I have a Wii, and I think it is the worst console of the 3 so far (software wise). Yet I have played, beat, and enjoyed, the awesomeness that is SMG.peter1191

what the heck does me clearly explaining with examples of what I dislike about the game have to do with a lack of effort in my post? Stop being so desperate to defend a really bad game.

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 goodlay
Member since 2005 • 5773 Posts

Good for you, I love it, so, as the game says when you die.

TOO BAD!

Rockclmbr6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Rockclmbr6
Member since 2004 • 3232 Posts

Ok, this is the game I was praying to make me want to keep my Wii. After the travesty that is Metroid 3

MrEpyx

Stopped reading there and skimmed through the rest. Metroid Prime 3 was excellent. Super Mario Galaxy is excellent. GS said it best: any of those games could have been GOTY, and they picked Mario Galaxy. Get over it.

MrEpyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrEpyx

It is good but not better than Metroid Prime 3.Solid_Link22

BANG! You hit the nail on the head.. Metroid 3 is definately better.. no question. Yet Metroid 3 wasn't (and shouldn't have been) a GOTY nominee.

badassriddick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 badassriddick
Member since 2004 • 183 Posts
It gets better.
i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 i_like_pizza
Oh, and since this is about SMG, I thought I'd ask, don't the lives reset? I don't think you retain all of your lives even after saves, but maybe I'm wrong about that. I don't pay attention to that. Oh, and if you're through the "first 6 levels," you don't know enough to be judging this game. I have 76 stars right now, and I still don't feel like I have completed enough of the game to say anything final about its difficulty or anything. There are a few very challenging levels that I have run into. For example, in the 5 stars level of the penguin place (I forget the name of the galaxy), there's this octahedron type thing where you have to collect the music notes from disappearing tiles.... try completing that level without the bee suit.
gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts

Oh trust me, it get's better.

You shouldn't call a game bad when you've barely clocked two hours. It's pretty much impossible to get 30 lives at your point, so I don't really beleive you. Also, the 5th and 6th domes are challenging. You're barely half way through the first dome.

MrEpyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrEpyx

TOO BAD!

goodlay

They are referring to you buying the game. ."TOO BAD!" LMAO. Yes, it is too bad.

haris12121212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 haris12121212
Member since 2004 • 7560 Posts

MASS EFFECT
BIOSHOCK
CALL OF DUTY 4
HALO 3
CRYSIS
ASSASSIN'S CREED

All of these games show more innovation and craftsmanship in their first levels than what I've seen in the first 6 of SMG. I guess we know where all that money Nintendo is making is going to... Paying off reviewers.

MrEpyx

IN what way is Halo3, Call of duty 4 more innovative than Mario? :|

As for your lives comment... it's a mario game dude... Since when was mario about having difficulties at the begining of the game. (It gets harder when you go further) Anyways I remember from mario games I've player, SMW,NSMB, SM64 all had easy lives to collect early in the game...

Mario deserves the title more than any of the 6 games you named.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
I personally like MP3 better.
goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 goodlay
[QUOTE="goodlay"]

TOO BAD!

MrEpyx

They are referring to you buying the game. ."TOO BAD!" LMAO. Yes, it is too bad.

Indeed, it is too bad. Why don't you go play some Wii Sports and Halo 3 since you prefer casual mediocrity over amazing games.

MrEpyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrEpyx

You shouldn't call a game bad when you've barely clocked two hours.

gingerdivid

Two hours into almost every other GOTY nominee had me believing they were GOTY material. Two hours into this game and I'm wondering why I have 30 extra lives, why theres virtually no voice acting, why this feels like every other mario game in recent history, why they masqerade the backtracking in the game by making you play through each level 3 times, and why the camera is such a broken mess that they had to resort to making things transparent so you can kind of see where you are half the time.

MrEpyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrEpyx
[QUOTE="MrEpyx"][QUOTE="goodlay"]

TOO BAD!

goodlay

Indeed, it is too bad. Why don't you go play some Wii Sports and Halo 3 since you prefer casual mediocrity over amazing games.

Oh you mean because both those games are fun, and compel you to continue playing, whereas in SMG you feel like you are forced to keep going in the hopes that the game gets better?

Zaxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zaxro
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts
[QUOTE="goodlay"][QUOTE="MrEpyx"][QUOTE="goodlay"]

TOO BAD!

MrEpyx

Oh you mean because both those games are fun, and compel you to continue playing, whereas in SMG you feel like you are forced to keep going in the hopes that the game gets better?

I continued playing SMG because it was one of the most fun games I've ever played. And it just keeps getting better. Opinion=fact now I guess.

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 goodlay
[QUOTE="gingerdivid"]

MrEpyx

Two hours into almost every other GOTY nominee had me believing they were GOTY material. Two hours into this game and I'm wondering why I have 30 extra lives, why theres virtually no voice acting, why this feels like every other mario game in recent history, why they masqerade the backtracking in the game by making you play through each level 3 times, and why the camera is such a broken mess that they had to resort to making things transparent so you can kind of see where you are half the time.

No voice acting, k, there was hardly any in SM64 or Sunshine, and the voice acting in Sunshine was god awful. Your complaints about the story are ridiculous, its a mario game, you knew the story wasn't going to be anything special. Backtracking? Thats been in SM64 and Sunshine, you play through the levels several times. And the camera has never been anything special, this isn't a surprise. It sounds like you've never played a Mario game or something.

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24 k_smoove
Member since 2006 • 11954 Posts

D-Pad and C button are camera controls. And you must've picked up every last star bit in the game to have 30 lives already.

Damage Control: Really Bad

gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gingerdivid
[QUOTE="gingerdivid"]

MrEpyx

The backtracking is very minimal, it's only a small planet or area you do again. I thought it was overated at the start aswell, but blimey, no I've finished the game it's my GOTY. Or you're just flamebaiting. The latter is more likely :)

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Metroid Prime 3 a travesty? I stopped reading right there. :|
i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 i_like_pizza
[QUOTE="gingerdivid"]

MrEpyx

Who cares if you have 30 extra lives? Really. You have INFINITE lives in any other game (and really you have infinite in SMG as well). You need to get off that point, because it's nonexistant.

It feels like every other mario game because Mario is the most successful franchise in the history of gaming, and he is the most recognizable gaming icon in the world by a long shot (more people can recognize Mario than they can recognize Britney Spears, to give a scale for his massive popularity), there is NO backtracking. You never HAVE to play through the same level more than once.

Every good 3D platformer that I have ever played uses the shadow technique, and also, the camera was meant to play the way it does when you're going around planets (upside down, backwards, etc). It's supposed to be somewhat disorienting, because it's just that type of game. It's unlike anything else you can play right now.

My suggestion? Get over it, learn how to play the game, and get better.

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
I had no probelms with the camera at all and I have all 120 stars.
MrEpyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrEpyx

I continued playing SMG because it was one of the most fun games I've ever played. And it just keeps getting better. Opinion=fact now I guess.

Zaxro

Ok when does it get better? I'm tired of running through grass and flowers to collect star pieces and coins. I'm also tired of the tacked-on feeling of collecting the star pieces by waving the pointer back and forth across the screen.

Tell you what. I would have actually enjoyed the game a little if they allowed you to control the view with the wiimote instead of forcing you to use it to collect the stupid star pieces.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

To be honest i didnt read any of your post besides the title.

all i can say is.

lol ... damage control.

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 goodlay
[QUOTE="Zaxro"]

MrEpyx

Ok when does it get better? I'm tired of running through grass and flowers to collect star pieces and coins. I'm also tired of the tacked-on feeling of collecting the star pieces by waving the pointer back and forth across the screen.

Tell you what. I would have actually enjoyed the game a little if they allowed you to control the view with the wiimote instead of forcing you to use it to collect the stupid star pieces.

Try collecting a star. :|

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 T3H_1337_N1NJ4
Member since 2005 • 2225 Posts
Hmm... Cramps from holding the nunchuck? You better go see a doctor, or start using your right hand for the activity that might be causing that to you (And I'm sure it ain't holding the ''nunchuck'' ;) )
Zaxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zaxro
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts
[QUOTE="Zaxro"]

MrEpyx

I thought every single level was fun. So what makes it bad is that you can't control the camera (which you can btw, d-pad)? I have had one point through my playing (at about 75 stars now) where I felt the camera hindered me.

peter1191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 peter1191
Member since 2005 • 591 Posts

[QUOTE="peter1191"]What the hell? At least put EFFORT into your posts. That game=amazing, and yes, I have a Wii, and I think it is the worst console of the 3 so far (software wise). Yet I have played, beat, and enjoyed, the awesomeness that is SMG.MrEpyx

what the heck does me clearly explaining with examples of what I dislike about the game have to do with a lack of effort in my post? Stop being so desperate to defend a really bad game.

Understand this: SMG is, by multiple reviewers, GOTY. Secondly, you are barely anywhere in the game. Just beginning. So, if I'm so desperate, why haven't you finished the game before you bash it? Obviously this is platforming gold. If you don't like the genre, don't buy the game. Its that simple. The camera not only does its job, it does it extremely well (upside down, rightside up, its meant to be confusing at first). THe game has massive variety in its levels, so you'll never be doing the same thing twice. It doesn't have cinematic flare, nor a story, but it doesn't try to have them. This is GOTY because its graphics are great, its gameplay is spectacular, and it is fun. So, lets argue over how "bad" SMG is, after you beat the game, eh? Because I could play to that level your on in an demo at Gamestop

gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gingerdivid
[QUOTE="Zaxro"]

MrEpyx

Once the hungry looma appears near the terrace dome, feed it the starbits, the sweet sweet galaxy is the best part of the initial stage in the game.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Cramp from the knumbchuch ? what on earth? its light and requires little to no movement to sue fully :S...

I call fakeboy.

haunt9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 haunt9
Member since 2006 • 206 Posts

I am on the Bee Galaxy which is like the 2nd galaxy in the game. I am bored to tears and my left hand is cramped from holding the crappy nunchuck. PLEASE TELL ME IT GETS BETTER.

Challenging? No.. In fact I have over 30 extra lives at this point.

MrEpyx

I call shennanigans, that's like what 15-20 minutes into the game depending on how well you play? There is no way you have over 30 lives that soon into the game unless you purposeley went about getting them.

Also, what kind of hideously arthritic claws do you have if you can't play 20 minutes of smg without getting cramps?

Everybody get their brooms.

MrEpyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MrEpyx

Every good 3D platformer that I have ever played uses the shadow technique, and also, the camera was meant to play the way it does when you're going around planets (upside down, backwards, etc). It's supposed to be somewhat disorienting, because it's just that type of game. It's unlike anything else you can play right now.

i_like_pizza

Unlike anything else I can play right now? You have to be kidding me. This is every other 3D platform game with a mario skin on it, and the addition of a really bad camera system and teh innovative walking upside down.

And if I got any better at playing the game, it would probably crash when I got to 10000 extra lives.

If the lives aren't important, they should have made it infinite lives.. but oh no, if they did that, half the game would be pointless (no need to collect 100 star fragments for an extra life, no need for grabbing the 1-up mushrooms, no need to do half the "hidden" rooms, etc) The problem with all that, is the extra lives system is broken if you have so many that it doesn't matter.

Nintendo fans claim there is something special about the game.. the gameplay mechanics are OLD, the music is DULL, the story is BORING, the levels are UNINSPIRED.

CONKER is worlds better than this game.. Making this game out to be innovative because the levels are little planets you can walk upside down on is a TRAVESTY.

gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gingerdivid
If you really want to get on the sheep's nerves, just say it would of worked better with a GC controller.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#40 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts
I'm actually surprised, when I saw this thread like an hour ago I was thinking it would surpass the 100+ posts in less than 30 minutes. BUT, I guess I was wrong lol.
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
ROFL, tell me now, LIST the best aspects of your favorite game of 2007 (which, for some reason i think it will be a FPS), and list the best aspects of SMG, and please do the same with the negative's as well.
tman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 tman93
Member since 2006 • 7769 Posts

You cant fail much harder then this.

TC=

Private_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Private_Vegas
Member since 2007 • 2783 Posts

Shame you can't enjoy it. I think it's a rousing larf.

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 goodlay
[QUOTE="i_like_pizza"]

MrEpyx

Unlike anything else I can play right now? You have to be kidding me. This is every other 3D platform game with a mario skin on it, and the addition of a really bad camera system and teh innovative walking upside down.

And if I got any better at playing the game, it would probably crash when I got to 10000 extra lives.

If the lives aren't important, they should have made it infinite lives.. but oh no, if they did that, half the game would be pointless (no need to collect 100 star fragments for an extra life, no need for grabbing the 1-up mushrooms, no need to do half the "hidden" rooms, etc) The problem with all that, is the extra lives system is broken if you have so many that it doesn't matter.

Nintendo fans claim there is something special about the game.. the gameplay mechanics are OLD, the music is DULL, the story is BORING, the levels are UNINSPIRED.

CONKER is worlds better than this game.. Making this game out to be innovative because the levels are little planets you can walk upside down on is a TRAVESTY.

Ok Skip Bayless, lawl. Star bits aren't useless, they are so plentiful because you use them as currency, for buying stuff in levels sometimes, and for feeding hungry lumas to unlock offshoot planets/levels. Worst fakeboy ever.

MrEpyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MrEpyx
[QUOTE="MrEpyx"][QUOTE="Zaxro"]

gingerdivid

Once the hungry looma appears near the terrace dome, feed it the starbits, the sweet sweet galaxy is the best part of the initial stage in the game.

I've already finished that galaxy. I'm on the next one, which is the bees.. I'm on the 3rd star for it.. Really, why must they make you play every galaxy 3 times? People complained about some of Halo 2's levels containing repetitive areas, and it was bashed for that.. EVERY SMG level has to be played 3 times, and all of a sudden, repetition is innovative!

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 goodlay
[QUOTE="gingerdivid"][QUOTE="MrEpyx"][QUOTE="Zaxro"]

MrEpyx

I've already finished that galaxy. I'm on the next one, which is the bees.. I'm on the 3rd star for it.. Really, why must they make you play every galaxy 3 times? People complained about some of Halo 2's levels containing repetitive areas, and it was bashed for that.. EVERY SMG level has to be played 3 times, and all of a sudden, repetition is innovative!

The same thing was in SM64 and Sunshine. :roll: /headache face

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 T3H_1337_N1NJ4
Member since 2005 • 2225 Posts
[QUOTE="i_like_pizza"]

MrEpyx

Self-own alert, it's 50 star bits, and if you DO have 30 lifes and HAD played the game, you would know it by now.

kthxbye /thread

MrEpyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MrEpyx

Ok Skip Bayless, lawl. Star bits aren't useless, they are so plentiful because you use them as currency, for buying stuff in levels sometimes, and for feeding hungry lumas to unlock offshoot planets/levels. Worst fakeboy ever.

goodlay

A fakeboy is someone who lies about having a system or a game. Since I own the system and the game, you make no sense when you use that term.

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
[QUOTE="gingerdivid"][QUOTE="MrEpyx"][QUOTE="Zaxro"]

MrEpyx

The level is different each time you play it. Its not like its asking you you to do the same thing 3 times.

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 goodlay
[QUOTE="goodlay"]

MrEpyx

A fakeboy is someone who lies about having a system or a game. Since I own the system and the game, you make no sense when you use that term.

Oh, it makes perfect sense when you read some of the ridiculous reasons you've come up with for hating SMG.