Still No need for Blue Ray in video games...Sony Lies again

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lawsonboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lawsonboy
Member since 2006 • 618 Posts

At this point it is clear sony lied about the need for blue ray for gaming just to get their new media out for movies. Not only are huge games like GTA IV, Mass Effect, and others still fitting comfortable on dvd 9's, every multiplat so far that comes on the 360 and PS3 plays better on the 360.

Finally I just read an article from the latest gameinformer that many of the PS3 games require multi-gig downloads to run making the seemingly large 80gig hardrive fill up in no time. Seems like such a scam to have a piece of media that can hold 50gigs and then ask somebody to use another 4-5 gigs of their hardrive to play the game.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 4 and Lost Odyssey

/thread

Plus there are tons of games on PS3 and 360 were the load times on PS3 are much faster.

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
That's a very fair argument. Blu Ray is certainly not needed in this generation of games. Regardless of what the Company behind the technology (Sony) might have claimed.
JCblueside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JCblueside
Member since 2005 • 14529 Posts

MGS4 - 45Gb
Ratchet & Clank Future = 17 Gb
Uncharted = 15 Gb
Resistance: Fall of Man = 12 Gb

Its clear that Sony is taking advantage of the Blu Ray & they aren't ripping us off. 3rd party games will soon follow the trend, specially 3rd party PS3 exclusives like MGS4, Final Fantasy, etc.

clintos59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 clintos59
Member since 2008 • 1320 Posts

At this point it is clear sony lied about the need for blue ray for gaming just to get their new media out for movies. Not only are huge games like GTA IV, Mass Effect, and others still fitting comfortable on dvd 9's, every multiplat so far that comes on the 360 and PS3 plays better on the 360.

Finally I just read an article from the latest gameinformer that many of the PS3 games require multi-gig downloads to run making the seemingly large 80gig hardrive fill up in no time. Seems like such a scam to have a piece of media that can hold 50gigs and then ask somebody to use another 4-5 gigs of their hardrive to play the game.

lawsonboy

Dude unless u like changing cd's which I dont like to do anymore, then I guess its ok, but Lost Odyssey had to many cd's but still an awesome game and Hideo Kojima would never lie and has also stated using up almost 50gb on MGS4, so I think bluray is very helpful and will be used as the gaming industry moves forward.

SiKh22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SiKh22
Member since 2006 • 4661 Posts
I think if Mass Effect used more space it would have ran a lot better. As the company in a article said they barely fit the game on one disc
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts

MGS 4. This thread has failed.

And don't bring up the uncompress sound data argument because leaving it uncompressed allows for a better sound experience... If you can afford it. lol

Jhung207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jhung207
Member since 2005 • 1154 Posts

/thread

Plus there are tons of games on PS3 and 360 were the load times on PS3 are much faster.

-Renegade

I guess the faster load time had nothing to do with the game being install on ps3's harddrive.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

And don't bring up the uncompress sound data argument because leaving it uncompressed allows for a better sound experience... If you can afford it. lol

Cedmln

Yes because 450,387 audio languages is needed in every video game.

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts
The point being made is that games aren't handicapped by lack of storage space...everyone knows this.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

MGS4 - 45Gb
Uncharted = 15 Gb

Its clear that Sony is taking advantage of the Blu Ray & they aren't ripping us off. 3rd party games will soon follow the trend, specially 3rd party PS3 exclusives like MGS4, Final Fantasy, etc.

JCblueside

wow R&C took up that much space? It was a great game but... 17Gigs!!!!!!!!!

TheKonspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheKonspiracy
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts
[QUOTE="Cedmln"]

kingtito

didn't kojima say that each region the game is sold in will only have one language?

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts
[QUOTE="-Renegade"]

/thread

Jhung207

I guess the faster load time had nothing to do with the game being install on ps3's harddrive.

Like 10% of the ps3 library needs that though...I dont see how install times are even a valid argument. Maybe if most games require it one day but otherwise big whoop. Besides. Its not exactly like ps3 owners are grasping for more HDD space.

(besides those poor 20gig-ers) Which can easily be solved by buying a 65-75 dollar laptop harddrive

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

/thread

-Renegade

Yeah sure after a 10-20 minute install on your HDD are PS3 load times faster. So that pretty much cancels out the validity of that statement. Its a cool feature but you can't use it too justify PS3 having faster load times. Game that don't install do have worse load times.

PSBox3SixWi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PSBox3SixWi
Member since 2007 • 1341 Posts
you can argue that bluray is not needed. but i can argue that i dont wanna swap discs and have crappy compressed sound coming through my $3000 stereo. i say not needed, but defenetly useful. but i also dont NEED to pay taxes. unless i want the luxury of owning property.
MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts

/thread

-Renegade

When installed...most reviews I've seen multiplat before this installation thing happened, 360 games were faster loading.

hywel69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 hywel69
Member since 2002 • 1086 Posts
Most of that is repeated textures to speed up load times mate.
hywel69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hywel69
Member since 2002 • 1086 Posts
On a side note. PC games must have been gimped for YEARS! How come I'm playing a 30GB MMO with no blue ray?
7fold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 7fold
Member since 2003 • 282 Posts
I think its fair to say that newer games will start taking advantage of the technology of the extra storage of blueray. That being said, I dont think MS messed up not using the Blueray drive. If anything the reliability of the 360 is where they messed up. Anyways Im sure by the time the new Xbox hits the shelves Blue ray will be included and needed for some games. But atm you can hardly blame MS for going with the DVD player, its working out fine, and the 360 has to be getting near its mid life, so I think its safe to say they did the right thing. Of course the generation after this would be suicide without the extra capacity.
JCblueside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JCblueside
Member since 2005 • 14529 Posts
[QUOTE="JCblueside"]

MGS4 - 45Gb
Uncharted = 15 Gb

NinjaMunkey01

wow R&C took up that much space? It was a great game but... 17Gigs!!!!!!!!!

Probably beause of the artisitic details, voice actings, & cutscenes. Take note that the demo alone was almost 2 Gb! :shock:

blue663544

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blue663544
Member since 2003 • 45 Posts
i didnt think dvd was needed when ps2 came but it worked. microsoft even put it in the xbox. i was happy when cds were being used. but dvd opened up new ideas for games, which led to one of my favorite games (ffx) which looked great and had voice acting (!) now sony has blu-ray. one blu-ray disc can hold up to 50 gigs. thats better than 2 or 3 dvds, which if i lose one then thats game over. not to mention they're more scratch resistant. plus they just look nice. imo, i think the transition here is just the same as it was from ps1 to ps2. new format with the latest playstation being the "trojan horse", being more blu-ray players into peoples houses. more space is always better, just ask anyone. is it needed? only time will tell, but i for on am happy although the $30 blu-ray movies do suck
TheLordHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#23 TheLordHimself
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

Given the fact that Blue Dragon comes on 3 DVDs and Lost Odyssey comes on 4 DVDs, i'm guessing that Blu-ray isn't a complete waste of time. If it was, these games would happily be shipped on a single disc.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

Given the fact that Blue Dragon comes on 3 DVDs and Lost Odyssey comes on 4 DVDs, i'm guessing that Blu-ray isn't a complete waste of time. If it was, these games would happily be shipped on a single disc.

TheLordHimself
not to mention those dont even have high qaulity audio,add one more dvd:)
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
Just because a 7 hour FPS game like Gears of War can fit on DVD9 does not mean a 40 hour JRPG loaded with cutscenes can. Oh, and Blu-ray has other advantages as well, such as durable surface.. As for speed, keep in mind that Blu-ray is still in its infancy. The PS3 has a 2x speed Blu-ray drive, and it may get 6x Blu-ray soon one day, which is as fast as 20x DVD.
Avatar image for dragon_master11
dragon_master11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dragon_master11
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts

For all those cows saying MGS4, the reason it used up 50 gigz is because of all the CGI cutscenes.

OK?

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

For all those cows saying MGS4, the reason it used up 50 gigz is because of all the CGI cutscenes.

OK?

dragon_master11

AND uncompressed audio

AND character textures...Oh and most of the cutscenes are actually in game

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

/thread

-Renegade

What, 2 games? There are actually way more games on the XBox 360 that load faster then on the PS3. This is a fact. Has already been proven by various websites including this one. The only thing Blu-Ray is good for is extra space and 1080p HD visuals and sound. It's transfer rate is technically slower them DVD (right now anyways) and games that get released on Blu-Ray hasn't really been better then the same games released on the XBox 360. 2-3 years from now it'll be worth having because there will be much better Blu-Ray players with faster transfer rates and better firmware.

The only reason Blu-Ray was even in the PS3 is because Sony wanted to get their media out to the world quickly and the PS3 was it's Trojan horse for doing so. If Blu-Ray had failed, Sony would have had a dead media in the PS3 for the tech 8-10yrs. The media still hasn't really caught on yet. People are still buying more DVD's then Blu-Ray movies and I don't see that changing right away.

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XanderZane

On a side note. PC games must have been gimped for YEARS! How come I'm playing a 30GB MMO with no blue ray?hywel69

Because the whole game is loaded on your HDD on the PC. You probably don't have a 20GB HDD. Most PS3 games aren't completely loaded on a HDD like a PC game. I'm sure the 30GB game game on 2-3 DVD's and not one Blu-Ray disc. ;)

Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
ChinoJamesKeene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ChinoJamesKeene
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts
[QUOTE="Cedmln"]

kingtito

Why not? if i could get rid of the crappy North American dubbing in all of my RPGs i probably would. The fact that it's even possblie is a plus.

Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Great_Ragnarok
Member since 2007 • 3069 Posts

lawsonboy

glad you understand! go to my blog or the topic in my sig.I went in depth on this issue and you mite like what you see.:)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

lawsonboy

DVD isn't needed, what's your point?

Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Great_Ragnarok
Member since 2007 • 3069 Posts

also its just insane how people justify Blue-ray players by saying you don't have to change disks anymore???

so is that why you made such an expensive purchase??? they scammed us coz they said it was necessary for GAMING!

sure for movies more space is really helpful coz in a movie it stores memory of each frame picture!!! and at HD that amounts to lots.but even then good formats like matroska(.mkv) are good and reduces the required space.

oh and for everyone who says MGS4...I say Crysis!!

jonesy1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jonesy1911
Member since 2003 • 3483 Posts
[QUOTE="Cedmln"]

kingtito

Are yuo saying games should only have English audio? because well, thats the only language you speak?
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

There's not really a severe need for it yet, maybe consoles with smaller HDDs can use it to compensate.

And it's probably not a viable technology in the long term, like all other forms of entertainment and PC gaming, consoles will move to digital distribution within the next few years, removing the need for a physical format.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
[QUOTE="kingtito"][QUOTE="Cedmln"]

jonesy1911

Are yuo saying games should only have English audio? because well, thats the only language you speak?

I think he means each region only needs the language (or two languages) that it would speak.

tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tmntPunchout
Member since 2007 • 3770 Posts

OK?

dragon_master11

It's not CGI... automatic loss for you..

tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tmntPunchout
Is bluray really a bad thing? Since when was more disk space a bad thing. Lemmings with all this hostility is just hilarious. Sure, it might not be 'needed' for some games, but it certainly improves the gaming experience by allowing devs w/ more room to work with.
sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts
[QUOTE="-Renegade"]

/thread

Ket87

Yeah sure after a 10-20 minute install on your HDD are PS3 load times faster. So that pretty much cancels out the validity of that statement. Its a cool feature but you can't use it too justify PS3 having faster load times. Game that don't install do have worse load times.

Doesn't burnout paradise have faster loading and better graphics on PS3?

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#40 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Didn't Sony say they were struggling to fit MGS4 on a Blu-Ray disc, let alone on a DVD9 disc :?
sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts

also its just insane how people justify Blue-ray players by saying you don't have to change disks anymore???

so is that why you made such an expensive purchase??? they scammed us coz they said it was necessary for GAMING!

sure for movies more space is really helpful coz in a movie it stores memory of each frame picture!!! and at HD that amounts to lots.but even then good formats like matroska(.mkv) are good and reduces the required space.

Great_Ragnarok

What do you mean, for everyone who says MGS4 you say crysis... and what expensive purchase? The PS3 isn't even that expensive anymore, here in the UK a bundle sells for £300... and what do you mean they scammed us, Blah what do I expect from fanboys...

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 XanderZane
[QUOTE="dragon_master11"]

OK?

tmntPunchout

Yeah, it wasn't the CGI, it was actually all the audio they put on there that are of the storage. Konami has already stated this awhile back. The Audio along took about about 1/3 of the space. lol!!

tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tmntPunchout
[QUOTE="tmntPunchout"][QUOTE="dragon_master11"]

OK?

XanderZane

Yeah, it wasn't the CGI, it was actually all the audio they put on there that are of the storage. Konami has already stated this awhile back. The Audio along took about about 1/3 of the space. lol!!

Start a new message, I never said anything about sound. Are you trying to tell me something I already knew about?

glenn2709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 glenn2709
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts

Didn't Sony say they were struggling to fit MGS4 on a Blu-Ray disc, let alone on a DVD9 disc :?fabz_95

Sony said that ? i thought it was Kojima ?

trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
[QUOTE="Cedmln"]

kingtito

You fail epicly. There will only be one audio language pr region. Japanese for japan and english for the rest.
Kojimasan has stated that he had to cut things out of the game to make room.

plainoldsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 plainoldsam
Member since 2006 • 1038 Posts

Some of you are saying "Lost Odyssey /thread" but that sorta goes against your statement. Multi-DVD discs are Microsoft's way around games like these (RPGs with a load of cutscenes) that go beyond the 9 (8?) GB limit.

Now if you said "PGR4 /thread"... I would've agreed.

cramoisi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cramoisi
Member since 2007 • 251 Posts

My god TC got owned sooo bad.

joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts

/thread

-Renegade

Agreed!

clintos59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clintos59
Member since 2008 • 1320 Posts

Great_Ragnarok

U may be right but u cant really sit there and say that bluray cannot help out in any way more then a regular dvd9 can. I mean seriously if bluray was just a normal cd like a DVD but with higher quality and had the same space as DVD does now then I would say that is one usless product but just from the ammount of gb's on one bluray to the picture and audio quality which is better then a DVD and also has a coating on the outside of each bluray disc to prevent it from scratches and stuff, its hard for me to say that bluray isnt very helpful and not needed. U agree? Even if u dont I guess u have your reasons but I think bluray is a great step forward for gaming and movies.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 donwoogie
Member since 2004 • 3707 Posts

lawsonboy

Not ever multiplatformer works better on the Xbox 360. Also, games primarily developed on a platform are supposed to run a little better on that platform than the port counter-part. Also, multiplatform games are supposed to be able to run on both platforms therefore need to use the same amount of space on each hence why multi-platforms will not occupy more space than the DVD9. In addition, game development would be a lot quicker if devs didn't have to spend so much time optimising and compressing games. Also, unlike the Xbox 360, the PS3 hard drives are cheaply and easily replacable. Also, at this point, jumps in the standard of gaming are determined by the standards of exclusives and a tonne of them are expected this year for the PS3. Finally, there are games that have pushed the envelope in terms of space requirements. Uncharted, R&C and Resistance. In addition, MGS4 and KZ2 will be using a tonne of space which the Blu-Ray can afford.