Still No need for Blue Ray in video games...Sony Lies again

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

Lost Odyssey

-Renegade

The so called "need" was solved with multiple discs. Please just stop.

Given the fact that Blue Dragon comes on 3 DVDs and Lost Odyssey comes on 4 DVDs, i'm guessing that Blu-ray isn't a complete waste of time. If it was, these games would happily be shipped on a single disc.

TheLordHimself

It indeed isn't a waste of time, however, neither is it a requirement or a need as is evident by the Xbox 360 games that have managed to uphold a high quality despite being on multiple discs.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

I think if Mass Effect used more space it would have ran a lot better. As the company in a article said they barely fit the game on one discSiKh22

There was even a thread claiming that blu-ray was important for gaming. It was by some user with a Calvin and Hobbes avatar.

CossackNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 CossackNoodle
Member since 2004 • 232 Posts

At this point it is clear sony lied about the need for blue ray for gaming just to get their new media out for movies. Not only are huge games like GTA IV, Mass Effect, and others still fitting comfortable on dvd 9's, every multiplat so far that comes on the 360 and PS3 plays better on the 360.

Finally I just read an article from the latest gameinformer that many of the PS3 games require multi-gig downloads to run making the seemingly large 80gig hardrive fill up in no time. Seems like such a scam to have a piece of media that can hold 50gigs and then ask somebody to use another 4-5 gigs of their hardrive to play the game.

lawsonboy

your telling me every multiplat so far plays better on 360? I wish people said IMO instead of stating it as fact because the facts show otherwise.

and do you mean many by less then 10 that i know of to the 100+ games available?

GameRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 GameRogue
Member since 2008 • 111 Posts

THIS JUST IN. MAJOR NEWS!!!!

DVD9 NOT NEEDED. Developers are making a new Tetris game that can fit in 1MB of space. Next-gen, we are taking out DVD9 and so no need for BR too.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44180 Posts

B.R. is needed ONLY for playing B.R. movies - FACT !

The best GAMES this gen are on DVD - FACT - IMO. :twisted:

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
Yep it seems the only use of blu ray is for multi languages on the 1 disc. And heres me thinking it's supposed to make games longer. :| No doubt MGS4 is going to be around 5-10 hours to complete. :|
Avatar image for Eddie_Munster08
Eddie_Munster08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Eddie_Munster08
Member since 2008 • 414 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 4 and Lost Odyssey

/thread

Plus there are tons of games on PS3 and 360 were the load times on PS3 are much faster.

-Renegade

FF7 on PS1 no one cared:roll: Again i say this to all the lazy people out there. If you can not get off your sofa once every 8hrs to flip a disk. Then man you have real issues.

Blu-Ray was never needed. I will say for next gen it will be more appropriate. But even then maybe not i mean. Compression tech keeps getting better and better. And maybe if we get 500gig HD with the new systems. We will see a lot more downloaded games.

But for Sony to keep having these mandatory hard-drive installs. It is completely making the whole Blu-Ray need excuse Sony proclaimed laughable at this point.

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
i agree that you don't NEED it but since it's there it's nice to see dev use that space to make teh game even better. you act like GTA4 couldn't have been a bit bigger it it didn't have 25 gigs to work with
StringGuard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 StringGuard
Member since 2008 • 619 Posts

The point being made is that games aren't handicapped by lack of storage space...everyone knows this.MadExponent

False. That's nothimg more than 360 owners hopefulness. Actually, we all know that DVD-9 is falling short this gen. We do know that devs have to cut things in order to fit their game on DVD. We all know that 360's problem isn't only the DVD constraints but also the constraints of having no standard HDD.

Tell you what. At least Sony has the brains to back up any known issue. Blu-ray read speed issues? Use HDD. DVD-9 space issues, cut game down. ANY PS3 owner can play ANY PS3 game. Where's the harm in that? The same can't be said for 360.

And to say every multiplat is better on the 360 is nothing but false. That's more of a 2007 argument. Much has changed over the past 5 months or so.

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts

/thread

Plus there are tons of games on PS3 and 360 were the load times on PS3 are much faster.

-Renegade

is that not because it dumps certain files onto the HDD :roll:

wagexslave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 wagexslave
Member since 2007 • 1123 Posts

There's a big difference between compressed data and uncompressed data.

If you like compressed data, buy a 360. If you like uncompressed data, buy a PS3.

It seems like lemmings still have their panties in a bunch that they have to pay $60 for regular dvd games and are stuck with repeditive loading screens after loading screens because all of the good games on the 360 are compressed to hell.

Kenshi_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#62 Kenshi_is_god
Member since 2004 • 5414 Posts
[QUOTE="JCblueside"]

MGS4 - 45Gb
Ratchet & Clank Future = 17 Gb
Uncharted = 15 Gb
Resistance: Fall of Man = 12 Gb

Its clear that Sony is taking advantage of the Blu Ray & they aren't ripping us off. 3rd party games will soon follow the trend, specially 3rd party PS3 exclusives like MGS4, Final Fantasy, etc.

NinjaMunkey01

wow R&C took up that much space? It was a great game but... 17Gigs!!!!!!!!!

Yeah it took up 17 gigs...uncompressed. The compressing tech. can easily make that game fit on a 9gb DVD. Easily.

all those, except MGS4 can be put onto a DVD with no problem

wagexslave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 wagexslave
[QUOTE="-Renegade"]

/thread

Eddie_Munster08

Blu-Ray was never needed.

You're right, thanks for pointing that out and let me correct anyone who says Blu Ray was needed.

Blu Ray is not needed, it's WANTED. Who wants to be stuck your games on low end media and sit through boring loading screens all the time? NOBODY. Stubborn lemmings, just admit that if you could have your games on Blu Ray instead of old DVDs, you'd choose the Blu Ray in a heartbeat.

Saying Blu Ray isnt needed is almost as bad as sheep saying better graphics arent needed. Sure, you could play games in 8 bit polygon all day but who wants to stay in 8 bit polygon graphics when there's new technology to put to good use.

Kenshi_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64 Kenshi_is_god
Member since 2004 • 5414 Posts

[QUOTE="MadExponent"]The point being made is that games aren't handicapped by lack of storage space...everyone knows this.StringGuard

Tell you what. At least Sony has the brains to back up any known issue. Blu-ray read speed issues? Use HDD. DVD-9 space issues, cut game down. ANY PS3 owner can play ANY PS3 game. Where's the harm in that? The same can't be said for 360.

And to say every multiplat is better on the 360 is nothing but false.

Oh Really? I asn't aware I can't play some of the games I own.

and no, reviews show, many games work better on 360.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 donwoogie
Member since 2004 • 3707 Posts
[QUOTE="-Renegade"]

/thread

toxicmog

is that not because it dumps certain files onto the HDD :roll:

That, and redundant data. The large space on the disc means data can be duplicated and put multiple times onto the disc to reduce the distance the laser has to travel to access certain frequently retrieved data. Oh, and also the extra space affords the dev the ability to store large amounts of uncompressed data on the disc. In addition, the PS3 processer is technically faster than the Xbox 360 one so it, in theory, could be better at handling compressed data.

Avatar image for Eddie_Munster08
Eddie_Munster08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Eddie_Munster08
Member since 2008 • 414 Posts
[QUOTE="Eddie_Munster08"][QUOTE="-Renegade"]

/thread

wagexslave

Blu-Ray was never needed.

You're right, thanks for pointing that out and let me correct anyone who says Blu Ray was needed.

Blu Ray is not needed, it's WANTED. Who wants to be stuck your games on low end media and sit through boring loading screens all the time? NOBODY. Stubborn lemmings, just admit that if you could have your games on Blu Ray instead of old DVDs, you'd choose the Blu Ray in a heartbeat.

Saying Blu Ray isnt needed is almost as bad as sheep saying better graphics arent needed. Sure, you could play games in 8 bit polygon all day but who wants to stay in 8 bit polygon graphics when there's new technology to put to good use.

LMAO we are already through level one of those highly anticipated games. Why your still clogging up your hard drive for an 1/2 hour mandatory installs.:lol:

wagexslave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 wagexslave

It takes a lot to clog up a 40-80 gig hard drive, didn't you know that? Oh wait.. you dont. You're stuck with cheap 20 gig hard drives and you're only allowed to use 10 on games and music.