Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46694 Posts

@Cranler said:

Steam is required for almost every recent multiplat as well the last few Total War games.

Yet millions of PC gamers don't use steam. As they are playing games that don't require it like WOW, Starcraft, Diablo and LOL or many, many older games with very active communities...

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Cranler said:

Steam is required for almost every recent multiplat as well the last few Total War games.

Yet millions of PC gamers don't use steam. As they are playing games that don't require it like WOW, Starcraft, Diablo and LOL or many, many older games with very active communities...

So WoW players don't ever use steam? Everyone I know who plays WoW uses steam. Many console gamers aren't on psn as they are playing games that don't require it like Gears, Halo and CoD.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

@Cranler:

And yet I know of none WHO is not on PSN, see I can play blind numbers and speculations aswell. How is my claim different then yours? given based on emprical evidence, then it must be true?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 Cranler

@Maddie_Larkin said:

@Cranler:

And yet I know of none WHO is not on PSN, see I can play blind numbers and speculations aswell. How is my claim different then yours? given based on emprical evidence, then it must be true?

You just did to me what I did to Ragnarok. Did you not read the speculative nonsense that I was replying too. Speaking as if no one who plays Blizzard games ever use steam

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 R4gn4r0k

@Cranler said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Cranler said:

So WoW players don't ever use steam? Everyone I know who plays WoW uses steam. Many console gamers aren't on psn as they are playing games that don't require it like Gears, Halo and CoD.

anecdotal evidence for the win

Plenty of PC gamers don't use steam. Plenty of PC gamers don't launch steam on startup.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#206 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@Cranler said:

Nothing here about running games on linux.

There is more to the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system than you may have assumed. In addition to playing games, watching movies, listening to music, and viewing photos, you can use the PS3™ system to run the Linux operating system.

Your right desktops don't work like consoles. That makes comparisons apples and oranges. Hermits keep wanting to compare all computer gaming software sales to one specific console. All computer platforms vs one console platform isn't a fair comparison. That's all I'm trying to prove and that's why I bring up steam calling mac and pc separate platforms.

You are moving the goal post again, and it is very transparent. You claimed that Mac and PC and Linux were different platforms because Steam said so, and Steam's view on the subject outweighed any System Warriors.

I respond with a post in which Sony not only boasted about the ability to have multiple operating systems, but calling the PS3 an entry level PC. Thus by your logic it should outweigh the the view of any System Warriors. Besides, even your moving of the goal post sucks, because you could use the PS3 to emulate XP and play XP games. So not only could you play PC games, the method one was forced to use in order to do say destroys the claim that operating systems are different platforms.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 Cranler

@kittennose said:

@Cranler said:

Nothing here about running games on linux.

There is more to the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system than you may have assumed. In addition to playing games, watching movies, listening to music, and viewing photos, you can use the PS3™ system to run the Linux operating system.

Your right desktops don't work like consoles. That makes comparisons apples and oranges. Hermits keep wanting to compare all computer gaming software sales to one specific console. All computer platforms vs one console platform isn't a fair comparison. That's all I'm trying to prove and that's why I bring up steam calling mac and pc separate platforms.

You are moving the goal post again, and it is very transparent. You claimed that Mac and PC and Linux were different platforms because Steam said so, and Steam's view on the subject outweighed any System Warriors.

I respond with a post in which Sony not only boasted about the ability to have multiple operating systems, but calling the PS3 an entry level PC. Thus by your logic it should outweigh the the view of any System Warriors. Besides, even your moving of the goal post sucks, because you could use the PS3 to emulate XP and play XP games. So not only could you play PC games, the method one was forced to use in order to do say destroys the claim that operating systems are different platforms.

So the ps 3 becomes a multiplatform device, what of it? Emulate xp on PS 3? Any footage of this. All Sony said was that you could install linux and I'd like to see the PS 3 play linux games like Civ 5

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

I don't even know what you're all arguing about.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By KittenNose

@Cranler said:

So the ps 3 becomes a multiplatform device, what of it? Emulate xp on PS 3? Any footage of this. All Sony said was that you could install linux and I'd like to see the PS 3 play linux games like Civ 5

Are you high? The PS3 couldn't play play Civilization Five, it would be lucky to pull off Alpha Centauri. It was underpowered and had to emulate on top of that. Sony also said it was a low end PC at the start of the generation. Low end. Besides, by Sony's word and your logic it was not a multiplatform device, it was a PC. Worse then that, calling it a multiplatform device destroys your argument, as every PC that had the ability to boot more then one operating system would be a multiplatform device. How can you break up PC gamers into three categories if most of their rigs could run and/or emulate all three "platforms."

Finally: By this logic Sony lost the last generation hard, as it was selling PCs until 2010, and consoles for the rest. If you are going to argue that Mac and Windows are different platforms, and concede that PCs and consoles are so different comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges, how the heck are you going to argue that Sony's PC and Sony's console is one platform?

You seriously need to think a bit about the implications of your arguments before you post.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Cranler said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Cranler said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Cranler said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@MBirdy88 said:

In before some console peasant that makes some stupid "There are already 7 million PS4s LOL PS4 has as many users as pc gamers!" comparison.

You would think they would look up the definition of concurrent.

It's how many steam users are logged in at the same time. If you look at in game stats they're much much lower. Steam auto launches by default on startup. Many people leave their pc's on for days.

I can't argue with that, because it is a valid point. that being said, steam is a very small part of pc gaming... it is a store that is only beneficial in certain countries.

but as I expected though, people came in and compared overall console sales to concurrent users of ONE digital store. spot on the money as usual.

One digital store that will allow you to install a game you bought elsewhere in your library as a backup and an easy way to patch your games. One digital store that happens to be required to play many games.

I mean look at this huge list of games that require steam: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_Steam_authentication

A tiny list in the grand scale, that doesn't include any MMOs, only 1 moba and quite a few modern publisher titles.

Can we monitor how many people are actually playing games o nthe X1 or PSN at the moment? instead of just using apps? how inflated is Xbox Live's numbers considering it includes windows 8 games, windows phone xbox live ect?

League of Legends alone has as many concurrent users as steam has concurrent ingame players (if it is a million at peak) ... and thats not represented by steam.... let alone Blizzard's isolated yet ridiculously popular eco system.

so again, what are we even comparing to here?

PC has a lot more functionality than consoles. How many people could be doing work on the same pc that steam is on and most people don't leave their console on when not in use.

I think it's a good comparison since steam and consoles offer a lot of the same games.

... yes but its not representive of PC gaming as a whole. so how can it be compared to a console, where the exact number is accurate because EVERYONE has to use the same service all of the time?

I am well aware of ingame and not-ingame, but that is still not representative.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@kittennose said:

Until March of 2010 Playstation was advertizing their console as a linux based entry level PC. By the standards of your own argument they didn't even release a console until the middle of last gen, until then cows were PC gamers. Please drop that asinine diatribe, and shut up about auto launch while you are at it. Consoles encourage their customers to watch TV and do their social networking on their PS or Xbox. They are even talking about making original shows.

If you do not at least try to make a single argument that isn't equally true of consoles, people are going to start thinking you are a fakeboi.

Yes because sony wanted to be smart ass and try to pass the PS3 as a PC s that it get a discount on EU like PC get,the whole reasoning was that and in fact on PS3 linux had the GPU lock you could not access it,unlike you can on a PC,because well sony never had that intention in mind it was all about getting the discount in tax.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 tormentos

@R4gn4r0k said:

Plenty of PC gamers don't use steam. Plenty of PC gamers don't launch steam on startup.

Most do and this thread is a testament of how big hypocrisy is here,""Steam is the greatest when the steam sales comes oh PSN and live fans eat your hart out peasant"",Steam is great when it reach 8 million concurrent users,""oh no console online community is as big as steam eat your heart out peasants""...

As soon as steam is use against Hermits like on steam stats all of the sudden steam isn't great any more,Most PC gamers have weak PC,""oh steam doesn't represent all hermits"", Steam stats say that the most played game by far can be play on a Pentium 4 with an X800,""Oh not all gamers play on steam"".

Plenty do and just having it open count you online.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

Why do you guys even bother engaging with @Cranler anymore? He will come up with a ridiculous claim, which when countered with logic and fact, he will simply change the subject and come up with another ridiculous claim and start arguing with someone else. It's the same thing in every single topic he participates in.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@tormentos said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Most do and this thread is a testament of how big hypocrisy is here,""Steam is the greatest when the steam sales comes oh PSN and live fans eat your hart out peasant"",Steam is great when it reach 8 million concurrent users,""oh no console online community is as big as steam eat your heart out peasants""...

As soon as steam is use against Hermits like on steam stats all of the sudden steam isn't great any more,Most PC gamers have weak PC,""oh steam doesn't represent all hermits"", Steam stats say that the most played game by far can be play on a Pentium 4 with an X800,""Oh not all gamers play on steam"".

I see no proof. Why don't you show me some evidence that everyone who plays Blizzard games also has a steam account for example ?

Plenty of PC gamers stick to one game and don't need a steam account. You may not know this, actually I'm pretty sure that you don't know this, but Steam is only massively popular in Europe and the US. Outside of those, steam is not really that popular.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 KittenNose

@tormentos said:

@kittennose said:

Until March of 2010 Playstation was advertizing their console as a linux based entry level PC. By the standards of your own argument they didn't even release a console until the middle of last gen, until then cows were PC gamers. Please drop that asinine diatribe, and shut up about auto launch while you are at it. Consoles encourage their customers to watch TV and do their social networking on their PS or Xbox. They are even talking about making original shows.

If you do not at least try to make a single argument that isn't equally true of consoles, people are going to start thinking you are a fakeboi.

Yes because sony wanted to be smart ass and try to pass the PS3 as a PC s that it get a discount on EU like PC get,the whole reasoning was that and in fact on PS3 linux had the GPU lock you could not access it,unlike you can on a PC,because well sony never had that intention in mind it was all about getting the discount in tax.

You are arguing with the wrong person. I think the guy's logic is asinine, and it gets worse and worse the more he tries to defend it. If however we go by his logic, the PS3 was released as a PC. For the first half of it's generation all the exclusives on it were PC exclusives, and when tallying up the sales for last gen consoles you have to remove everything from 2010 and before because the PS3 didn't become a console until then, it was magically a PC.

The entire point of this is to illustrate how myopic the whole "Well this publisher's website says X so it must be true!" line of reasoning really is. It is the exact same logic, just applied to his platform of choice instead of the one he wishes to attack.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@tormentos said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

talk about delusional reading comprehension.

Steam is great. but its far from representative of the entire platform... how stupid can you be to assume such a statement is anything but accepting that while its great, its not required for most games. its a friggin digital store, not an operating system.

act your age tormy, your an embarrassment.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 tormentos

@MBirdy88 said:

Steam is great. but its far from representative of the entire platform... how stupid can you be to assume such a statement is anything but accepting that while its great, its not required for most games. its a friggin digital store, not an operating system.

In this very moment you can't own a PC and not use steam,most hardcore hermits if not all of them have steam,even if it is for just a few games.

So again is ok when it favors you when it doesn't bah who cares about steam..lol

@R4gn4r0k said:

I see no proof. Why don't you show me some evidence that everyone who plays Blizzard games also has a steam account for example ?

Plenty of PC gamers stick to one game and don't need a steam account. You may not know this, actually I'm pretty sure that you don't know this, but Steam is only massively popular in Europe and the US. Outside of those, steam is not really that popular.

Because that is impossible to prove,unless they come forward but how the opposite doesn't apply can you prove all of Blizzard gamers play nothing but blizzard games and don't have steam accounts.?

Owning a $700 GPU for 1 game is the most down right moronic crap i have ever read in my entire life,PC gamers don't stick to just one game,you may say that some games have higher user count that others from there to say some PC gamers stick to 1 game is a joke.

What other PC gaming service has 80 million users.?

@kittennose said:

You are arguing with the wrong person. I think the guy's logic is asinine, and it gets worse and worse the more he tries to defend it. If however we go by his logic, the PS3 was released as a PC. For the first half of it's generation all the exclusives on it were PC exclusives, and when tallying up the sales for last gen consoles you have to remove everything from 2010 and before because the PS3 didn't become a console until then, it was magically a PC.

The entire point of this is to illustrate how myopic the whole "Well this publisher's website says X so it must be true!" line of reasoning really is. It is the exact same logic, just applied to his platform of choice instead of the one he wishes to attack.

Yes it was market as computer entertainment system,in hopes that sony was able to get a tax deduction,it never worked and it was drop.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#218 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

So much ignorance in this thread . There are some who think there are 8 million total PC gamers out there and then there are others who are saying that this is cheating , since Steam support 3 platforms (Windows , Mac , Linux) . Facepalm .

Steam reaches 8 million concurrent users , that's new record . Accept it and move on with your lives .

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#219 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13672 Posts
@tormentos said:

@MBirdy88 said:

In this very moment you can't own a PC and not use steam,most hardcore hermits if not all of them have steam,even if it is for just a few games.

So again is ok when it favors you when it doesn't bah who cares about steam..lol

How people act and use Steam in SWs discussions, doesn't contribute to how it should be considered as a representation in general.

PC gaming is vast and comes in many shapes and sizes for a platform which is used so much all over the world. To globally single out Steam as a representation isn't accurate.

Steam versus PSN and/or XBL doesn't automatically equal PSN and/or XBL versus PC gaming as a complete entity. Steam is just one of the many part os PC gaming available to people.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@tormentos said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Because that is impossible to prove,unless they come forward but how the opposite doesn't apply can you prove all of Blizzard gamers play nothing but blizzard games and don't have steam accounts.?

Owning a $700 GPU for 1 game is the most down right moronic crap i have ever read in my entire life,PC gamers don't stick to just one game,you may say that some games have higher user count that others from there to say some PC gamers stick to 1 game is a joke.

Nope, you and cranler are making the claims that every single PC gamers is on steam. Even those that play games that aren't on steam and older games.

Why should I prove you wrong ?

Now you are claiming shit like all PC gamers spending 700 dollars on GPUs. Hahahahahaha

LMAO, just stop, your arguments are getting worse and worse XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@tormentos said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@kittennose said:

Yes it was market as computer entertainment system,in hopes that sony was able to get a tax deduction,it never worked and it was drop.

... assumptions assumptions, there are many PC gamers that just play WoW, or just play LoL that couldn't give a flying f*ck about steam, there are also the anti DRM people.... and you know.... them arkets where steam is irrelevant. stop talking out of your ass please.

Pleanty of PC gamers that buy the device for specific uses, same as those chavvy console gamers that only buy CoD. hell I know alot of people that upgraded to PS4/X1 ... and... only ... play ... CoD.... anecdotal right? yea same as your crap... only difference is, everyone falls under the same flag on consoles.

so again, what are we comparing to? we have no numbers for XBOX LIVE or PSN? the earlier one would also include people playing friggin solitaire on their tablets/win8 store and win phone too.

so tell me tormy... what is the point in even TRYING to label PC gaming as STEAM? to compare... to nothing?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@tormentos said:

@MBirdy88 said:

How people act and use Steam in SWs discussions, doesn't contribute to how it should be considered as a representation in general.

PC gaming is vast and comes in many shapes and sizes for a platform which is used so much all over the world. To globally single out Steam as a representation isn't accurate.

Steam versus PSN and/or XBL doesn't automatically equal PSN and/or XBL versus PC gaming as a complete entity. Steam is just one of the many part os PC gaming available to people.

at the end of the day. hes an idiot.

I'm playing Wildstar and FFXIV at the moment, neither are on my steam. yet im logged into steam.

Oh no... am I an "idler" I can't possibly be playing a game outside of steam because all hardcore hermits only use steam.

Tormentos.... is a tool.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 R4gn4r0k

@MBirdy88 said:

... assumptions assumptions, there are many PC gamers that just play WoW, or just play LoL that couldn't give a flying f*ck about steam, there are also the anti DRM people.... and you know.... them arkets where steam is irrelevant. stop talking out of your ass please.

Pleanty of PC gamers that buy the device for specific uses, same as those chavvy console gamers that only buy CoD. hell I know alot of people that upgraded to PS4/X1 ... and... only ... play ... CoD.... anecdotal right? yea same as your crap... only difference is, everyone falls under the same flag on consoles.

so again, what are we comparing to? we have no numbers for XBOX LIVE or PSN? the earlier one would also include people playing friggin solitaire on their tablets/win8 store and win phone too.

so tell me tormy... what is the point in even TRYING to label PC gaming as STEAM? to compare... to nothing?

To be honest this is what console gamers always do when attacking pc:

and that's grasping at straws...

"Who cares about the millions of games you can play, you can't play GTA V lololololol"

And countless other examples.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Cranler

@kittennose said:

@Cranler said:

Are you high? The PS3 couldn't play play Civilization Five, it would be lucky to pull off Alpha Centauri. It was underpowered and had to emulate on top of that. Sony also said it was a low end PC at the start of the generation. Low end. Besides, by Sony's word and your logic it was not a multiplatform device, it was a PC. Worse then that, calling it a multiplatform device destroys your argument, as every PC that had the ability to boot more then one operating system would be a multiplatform device. How can you break up PC gamers into three categories if most of their rigs could run and/or emulate all three "platforms."

Finally: By this logic Sony lost the last generation hard, as it was selling PCs until 2010, and consoles for the rest. If you are going to argue that Mac and Windows are different platforms, and concede that PCs and consoles are so different comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges, how the heck are you going to argue that Sony's PC and Sony's console is one platform?

You seriously need to think a bit about the implications of your arguments before you post.

Civ 5 min reqs are below those of most multiplats over the last 4 years.

Their still separate platforms even if ran by the same hardware. Blu ray players can play dvd's does mean it's not a multi format device.

You're really stretching here dude. PS 3 was sold as a pc until 2010? Are you high! That's the craziest thing I've ever read on this forum. And that includes all of loosing ends nonsense. What pc games does it run? Provide links that prove Sony's initial ad campaigns were focused on their $700 blu ray/video game player being used as a pc.

Again it's apples and orabges because console gaming isn't monopolized. You have Sony, Nintendo and MS while there's no platform competition on computers. Majority buys pc verisons of computer games.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

'steam play'

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 KittenNose

@Cranler said:

Their still separate platforms even if ran by the same hardware. Blu ray players can play dvd's does mean it's not a multi format device.

You're really stretching here dude. PS 3 was sold as a pc until 2010? Are you high! That's the craziest thing I've ever read on this forum. And that includes all of loosing ends nonsense. What pc games does it run? Provide links that prove Sony's initial ad campaigns were focused on their $700 blu ray/video game player being used as a pc.

Again it's apples and orabges because console gaming isn't monopolized. You have Sony, Nintendo and MS while there's no platform competition on computers. Majority buys pc verisons of computer games.

Do you even know what Emulation is? The PS3 was was listed as an entry level computer eight years ago, and on top of that you would have to emulate windows. Emulation is incredibly inefficient, and we are talking about bare bones entry level eight years ago. I am however sure there is some Linux game out there that can be put on a PS3 with little effort.

And of course the idea that the PS 3 was a PC until 2010 is crazy, my entire point is that the support for your position is too full of holes to apply consistently. It is your logic behind the argument. I already provided links of Sony calling the PS3 an entry level PC. By your "If an official website says it is true that website trumps any system warrior" argument the PS3 is a PC. Sony said so, and according to you Sony trumps any system warrior. This is why it is important to think through the implications of an arguement before you you make it. The argument you use to claim PC and Linux are two platforms is far more devastating to cows then hermits.

And holy crap, now you are claiming that Windows has a monopoly? You realize that your entire argument was that PC gaming is three platforms not one, now you are claiming there is only one choice? Think, then post.

Finally: Platforms refer to hardware not software. With a foolish amount of time and effort you can get DOS running on almost anything made in the last two decades. By your "software changes equal platform changes" logic freaking everything is a PC, even devices designed to be used by an operator instead of the end user.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

How is that even possible when there's only 7 million people in the world?

What the ****?

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 CrownKingArthur
@BPoole96 said:

@bldgirsh said:

What the ****?

fyi dude http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Faith+in+humanity+-1_4f0080_4150475.jpg

link is safe: personal guarantee from cka.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#231  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:
@BPoole96 said:

@bldgirsh said:

What the ****?

fyi dude http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Faith+in+humanity+-1_4f0080_4150475.jpg

Haha. I just couldn't resist saying the joke. xP

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
@bldgirsh said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@BPoole96 said:

@bldgirsh said:

What the ****?

Haha. I just couldn't resist saying the joke. xP

lmao thank god you were joking

RepetitiousV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 RepetitiousV2
Member since 2014 • 74 Posts

Wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub

I frickin love that song.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@BPoole96 said:

@bldgirsh said:

What the ****?

hahaaha yeah that comment made me laugh, there's more than 7 million people in London, never mind the world

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Cranler

@kittennose said:

@Cranler said:

Do you even know what Emulation is? The PS3 was was listed as an entry level computer eight years ago, and on top of that you would have to emulate windows. Emulation is incredibly inefficient, and we are talking about bare bones entry level eight years ago. I am however sure there is some Linux game out there that can be put on a PS3 with little effort.

And of course the idea that the PS 3 was a PC until 2010 is crazy, my entire point is that the support for your position is too full of holes to apply consistently. It is your logic behind the argument. I already provided links of Sony calling the PS3 an entry level PC. By your "If an official website says it is true that website trumps any system warrior" argument the PS3 is a PC. Sony said so, and according to you Sony trumps any system warrior. This is why it is important to think through the implications of an arguement before you you make it. The argument you use to claim PC and Linux are two platforms is far more devastating to cows then hermits.

And holy crap, now you are claiming that Windows has a monopoly? You realize that your entire argument was that PC gaming is three platforms not one, now you are claiming there is only one choice? Think, then post.

Finally: Platforms refer to hardware not software. With a foolish amount of time and effort you can get DOS running on almost anything made in the last two decades. By your "software changes equal platform changes" logic freaking everything is a PC, even devices designed to be used by an operator instead of the end user.

Linux can be installed on PS 3 so I brought up Civ 5 which runs on linux.

You still haven't explained what difference it makes that PS 3 can run linux and how is that more devastating to cows?

Windows being a monopoly is the whole point of it being unfair to compare pc to one console. Imagine if console gaming were monopolized and mac and pc games sold equally. Console sales would destroy mac or pc individually.

Platforms refer to hardware? Maybe you should inform valve of this. So does that mean a pc with amd cpu and gpu is a different platform from intel/nvidia? Xbox one and PS 4 have more in common than many pc configs so does that mean the next gen consoles are same platforms?

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 KittenNose

@Cranler said:

You still haven't explained what difference it makes that PS 3 can run linux and how is that more devastating to cows?

Windows being a monopoly is the whole point of it being unfair to compare pc to one console. Imagine if console gaming were monopolized and mac and pc games sold equally. Console sales would destroy mac or pc individually.

Platforms refer to hardware? Maybe you should inform valve of this. So does that mean a pc with amd cpu and gpu is a different platform from intel/nvidia? Xbox one and PS 4 have more in common than many pc configs so does that mean the next gen consoles are same platforms?

Ahh, we are circling back there huh? Okay.

http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/

By installing the Linux operating system, you can use the PS3â„¢ system not only as an entry-level personal computer with hundreds of familiar applications for home and office use, but also as a complete development environment for the Cell Broadband Engineâ„¢ (Cell/B.E.).

PS3s were entry-level personal computers, so spoke Sony.

@Cranler said:

You're really stretching here dude. PS 3 was sold as a pc until 2010? Are you high!

Perhaps you should ask Sony.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Cranler

@kittennose said:

@Cranler said:

Ahh, we are circling back there huh? Okay.

http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/

By installing the Linux operating system, you can use the PS3â„¢ system not only as an entry-level personal computer with hundreds of familiar applications for home and office use, but also as a complete development environment for the Cell Broadband Engineâ„¢ (Cell/B.E.).

PS3s were entry-level personal computers, so spoke Sony.

@Cranler said:

You're really stretching here dude. PS 3 was sold as a pc until 2010? Are you high!

Perhaps you should ask Sony.

You still haven't explained how being able to install linux on ps3 is bad for my argument.

RepetitiousV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 RepetitiousV2
Member since 2014 • 74 Posts

Ah snap here comes the solo

Wubwub wub wub wub wubwub wub wubwub wubwubwubwubwub tish

BloodyTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By BloodyTides
Member since 2014 • 239 Posts

I'm using linux right now on muh pc but I thought it was a separate platform and shit

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Cranler

@bloodytides said:

I'm using linux right now on muh pc but I thought it was a separate platform and shit

Windows 2000 and the Mac OS X are examples of two different platforms. http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/definition/platform

One pc can run 2 platforms.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#241 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@Cranler said:

@bloodytides said:

Windows 2000 and the Mac OS X are examples of two different platforms. http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/definition/platform

So dogma much?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Cranler

@bldgirsh said:

@Cranler said:

@bloodytides said:

So dogma much?

I've given multiple examples of operating systems being considered a platform. You saying they're all wrong?

BloodyTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By BloodyTides

@Cranler said:

@bloodytides said:

So duh pc isn't a platform and shieet?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

So much damage control ITT.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Cranler

@bloodytides said:

@Cranler said:

@bloodytides said:

By pc do you mean windows computer or personal computer? If you mean the latter then we could just call game consoles all one platform.

@Jankarcop said:

Still no counterpoints, just another useless post.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@Cranler said:

@Jankarcop said:

Counter points to what?

Separating PC games, users, and sales by OS has 100% of the time been nothing but bait here. Stop baiting/trolling.

You guys are only doing this because the 8milion figure trumps consoles. You guys do the same "its on mac it isn't exclusive" crap when you see PC's exclusive count trumps consoles. It's damage control.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 CrownKingArthur

@Cranler said:

@bloodytides said:

@Cranler said:

@bloodytides said:

By pc do you mean windows computer or personal computer? If you mean the latter then we could just call game consoles all one platform.

Why? If one had an Intel based Apple Mac computer, they can buy the windows OS and install it, or download a Linux iso and install it.

No equivalent functionality exists in consoles, so I reject your claim. An Xbox One can never play a Wii U game (Where Wii U game means the entire disk is designed for Wii U, the binaries are compiled for Wii U, etc).

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 KittenNose

@Cranler said:

You still haven't explained how being able to install linux on ps3 is bad for my argument.

Sony called the PS3 an entry level PC. By your 'logic' that means the PS3s were a PC, and nothing you can say changes that.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Cranler

@kittennose said:

@Cranler said:

Sony called the PS3 an entry level PC. By your 'logic' that means the PS3s were a PC, and nothing you can say changes that.

Yes we've already established that but you don't explain how this changes anything.

They said it can be used as an entry level pc. The PS 3 runs one platform by default and another non gaming platform if you install linux. This has zero impact on the discussion.

BloodyTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By BloodyTides

@Cranler said:

@bloodytides said:

@Cranler said:

@bloodytides said:

@Jankarcop said:

PC means personal computer what did you think I was meaning. Can duh xbox360 be modded to run ps3 OS and games and shieet?