Steam HACKED?!

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#101 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
That'll tell Steam to stop monopolizing the market.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

That'll tell Steam to stop monopolizing the market.Mr_Cumberdale

I don't see why. This is just an inconvenience for them. They've already stated that the important information was encrypted.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

Geez, I have learned one thing today. Sony will always get the ****** end up the stick.

Steam gets hacked, Xbox Live goes down... it's all good.

Xbox 360's RROD like crazy, players can't even play their games for a month... it's all good.\

Sony gets hacked so they shut off PSN to completely rebuild everything (but can still play their games, just not online) ... HAHA SONY SUCKS!

Uncharted 3 sells 3.8 million copies on day one... FALSE.... CAN'T BE REALZ.

I swear System Wars has a severe hatred for Sony and the Playstation brand and games.

AiurProtoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 AiurProtoss
Member since 2010 • 1080 Posts

Geez, I have learned one thing today. Sony will always get the ****** end up the stick.

Xbox 360's RROD like crazy, players can't even play their games for a month... it's all good.\

Sony gets hacked so they shut off PSN to completely rebuild everything (but can still play their games, just not online) ... HAHA SONY SUCKS!

I swear System Wars has a severe hatred for Sony and the Playstation brand and games.

contracts420

I would haate sony too If I couldn't play online for over a month on a system I paid 300 bucks for. Steam gets hacked and it could potentially be as bad a Sony's problem, and Xbox live rarely ever goes down, Its happened twice for like 2-4 hours due to maintenance not a month for **** security. Prooblem?

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts

contracts420

You reap what you sow. :P

Honestly though all factions attack each other. It's the name of the game... System Wars.

AiurProtoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 AiurProtoss

I guess Xbox Live has yet to be hacked on a grand scale like PSN and Steam, granted Valve was exponentially smarter than sony to encrypt all the important data, but still a mass hack is a mass hack. Microsoft is dubbstepping in its G5 airplane saying "If your having network problems i feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems and network aint one." lol. OH **** I HAVE A STEAM ACCOUNT!!!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! *insert laughter and applause here*

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

DireOwl

Honestly though all factions attack each other. It's the name of the game... System Wars.

Yep... this is most certainly System Wars. Although I think it should be called NintendoLoversValveRocksMicrosoftMakesMeFeelWarmAndFuzzyButSonySucksTheBigOne Wars. That's the impressions I get when I am on System Wars.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#108 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

contracts420

Xbox RROD was a laughing stock, but that's several years old now.

Steam and XBL going down was nothing compared to PSN getting majorly stuffed up.

Uncharted 3 randomly selling almost four million copies on day one is almost unbelievable considering the performance and popularity of the last two (Uncharted 2 has only sold 3.5 million since), and the fact that Black Ops' holds the record at 5.6 million copies on day one, across all platforms. But if it's true, it's true, and holy crap was it unexpected.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
That'll tell Steam to stop monopolizing the market.Mr_Cumberdale
and marvelous input like always..cumberdale
DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 DireOwl

[QUOTE="DireOwl"]

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

contracts420

Yep... this is most certainly System Wars. Although I think it should be called NintendoLoversValveRocksMicrosoftMakesMeFeelWarmAndFuzzyButSonySucksTheBigOne Wars. That's the impressions I get when I am on System Wars.

If it makes you feel any better go to the thread "worst system of 2011". Lots of lem/sheep hate going on there.

AiurProtoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 AiurProtoss

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

FrozenLiquid

Xbox RROD was a laughing stock, but that's several years old now.

Steam and XBL going down was nothing compared to PSN getting majorly stuffed up.

Uncharted 3 randomly selling almost four million copies on day one is almost unbelievable considering the performance and popularity of the last two (Uncharted 2 has only sold 3.5 million since), and the fact that Black Ops' holds the record at 5.6 million copies on day one, across all platforms. But if it's true, it's true, and holy crap was it unexpected.

It sold because of subway LOL!!!! but hey it went with the green cups.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

FrozenLiquid

Adding to that: Steam hasn't even gone down. I bought and downloaded a game a few hours ago - everything but the forums are running perfectly fine.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

Planeforger

Adding to that: Steam hasn't even gone down. I bought and downloaded a game a few hours ago - everything but the forums are running perfectly fine.

What did you buy Planeforger?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Planeforger

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

FrozenLiquid

Jamestown DLC. :P

Still waiting for my Skyrim code to be shipped out (not that I'll be playing it for a few days, but...)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#115 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Steam? Hacked? This is wonderful! :lol:

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Lame. I already cancelled my CC earlier this year when the PSN thing happened. Guess I might have to do it again...

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

This proves no one is safe

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

Planeforger

Jamestown DLC. :P

Still waiting for my Skyrim code to be shipped out (not that I'll be playing it for a few days, but...)

I really wanna try out Jamestown. Hopefully a friend or two will also opt to dip in and play it.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I also got that message.
istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#120 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts
Great that's just wonderful -_- Now I have to monitor my cc.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
huh, i didn't get that message. Why does steam not love me?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
huh, i didn't get that message. Why does steam not love me?ferret-gamer
You're probably a filthy pirate. :P
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#123 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
i got it after restarting Steam. it's an update message. (jesuschristyoursigholycrap)
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 lundy86_4

Your account is clearly protected by a team of Solid Snake, Chuck Norris, and the best special forces team on the world. Count yourself lucky :P

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#125 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
this better not affect my dota invite
agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

Looking forward to seeing "Sorry we got hacked, here's a free game." :P

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 lundy86_4

agpickle

Knowing Valve, it'll be "Sorry we got hacked. Here's a free mansion, plus awesome gaming PC, to say sorry!"

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts
Just for reference it has yet to be confirmed if Credit Card numbers were taken (even though they are encrypted).
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

Just for reference it has yet to be confirmed if Credit Card numbers were taken (even though they are encrypted). lostrib
Yep... exactly like the PSN deal. In fact, a whole lot about it is exactly like the PSN hack. Beach allowed access to account info, including names? Yep. Passwords? Yep, but they were hashed. Credit Card info? Yep, but its encrypted. No reason to think CC data was viewed/copied, but can't rule out the possibility? Yep. So why was there a media storm about "Biggest hack ever! 77 million CC numbers leaked!!!!" with PSN, but I haven't seen anything about the Steam thing, outside of this one thread on SW, when Steam surely has a ton more CC numbers in their system?

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

To do: Change password (and make sure that you also change your email password if it was the same) & don't let Steam keep your CC #

[QUOTE="lostrib"]Just for reference it has yet to be confirmed if Credit Card numbers were taken (even though they are encrypted). ianuilliam

Yep... exactly like the PSN deal. In fact, a whole lot about it is exactly like the PSN hack. Beach allowed access to account info, including names? Yep. Passwords? Yep, but they were hashed. Credit Card info? Yep, but its encrypted. No reason to think CC data was viewed/copied, but can't rule out the possibility? Yep. So why was there a media storm about "Biggest hack ever! 77 million CC numbers leaked!!!!" with PSN, but I haven't seen anything about the Steam thing, outside of this one thread on SW, when Steam surely has a ton more CC numbers in their system?

It's the top story at Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
This is one of those times where owning every platform sucks. Seems like I'm resetting passwords more often at home than I do at work, all because some juveniles can't behave on a public network.
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

To do: Change password (and make sure that you also change your email password if it was the same) & don't let Steam keep your CC #

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]Just for reference it has yet to be confirmed if Credit Card numbers were taken (even though they are encrypted). Tezcatlipoca666

Well, that kinda goes along with what I said. 3 days in, and there's one story, with a rather mild headline of "Valve confirms steam hack: credit cards, personal data may be stolen," versus the same site having stories every day during that first week of the PSN with headlines saying things like "Sony admits utter failure: your personal data has been stolen!" despite the fact that the actual facts are almost identical: they both are saying CC info was encrypted, passwords were hashed, and that they have no reason to think CC info was taken, but they can't rule it out. The Steam thing is arguably worse, since it's a pretty safe bet they have a lot more CC numbers stored, so why such a neutral tone here, but such a negative one before?

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts
Ep 3 was not found, the mission was a failure : (
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

so when sony gets hacked everyone gets their pitch forks out and hate them but when valve gets hacked, "oh well, i'll just change my credit card, darn those hackers", also for people saying valve has their passwords better encrypted then sony how the heck do you know? obvisouly it ain't that great if valve says credit card information may have been compromised. also valve waited 3 days to tell people, its not like they were fast on the reponse. Thats 3 days that you were unaware that your information was out their. So i'm loving the double standards that are going on in here, its all good though, i hope steam recovers and that its not that bad.

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 DireOwl

[QUOTE="Tezcatlipoca666"]

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]Yep... exactly like the PSN deal. In fact, a whole lot about it is exactly like the PSN hack. Beach allowed access to account info, including names? Yep. Passwords? Yep, but they were hashed. Credit Card info? Yep, but its encrypted. No reason to think CC data was viewed/copied, but can't rule out the possibility? Yep. So why was there a media storm about "Biggest hack ever! 77 million CC numbers leaked!!!!" with PSN, but I haven't seen anything about the Steam thing, outside of this one thread on SW, when Steam surely has a ton more CC numbers in their system?

ianuilliam

Well, that kinda goes along with what I said. 3 days in, and there's one story, with a rather mild headline of "Valve confirms steam hack: credit cards, personal data may be stolen," versus the same site having stories every day during that first week of the PSN with headlines saying things like "Sony admits utter failure: your personal data has been stolen!" despite the fact that the actual facts are almost identical: they both are saying CC info was encrypted, passwords were hashed, and that they have no reason to think CC info was taken, but they can't rule it out. The Steam thing is arguably worse, since it's a pretty safe bet they have a lot more CC numbers stored, so why such a neutral tone here, but such a negative one before?

Isn't obvious? Everyone hates Sony... EVERYONE.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Planeforger

so when sony gets hacked everyone gets their pitch forks out and hate them but when valve gets hacked, "oh well, i'll just change my credit card, darn those hackers"Chris_Williams

Remember how PSN was down for ages after/during the hack? Steam's still up and running just fine.

Also, the hate for Sony was already pretty high even before the hack (which wasn't long after the whole GeoHot saga), so the differences in reactions is pretty much expected.

also for people saying valve has their passwords better encrypted then sony how the heck do you know? obvisouly it ain't that great if valve says credit card information may have been compromised.Chris_Williams

It's common knowledge that Sony kept their CC info in plaintext, while Steam have announced that theirs is encrypted. That's a big difference in security between the two.

Also, you're confusing the security of their servers with the encryption on the CC info.
And for that matter, Valve already had better security with SteamGuard - the forum passwords are the only things that may have confirmable been leaked so far, and they're separate from the account passwords. Plus the account passwords themselves are useless due to how accounts are tied to individual PCs.

also valve waited 3 days to tell people, its not like they were fast on the reponse. Thats 3 days that you were unaware that your information was out their. So i'm loving the double standards that are going on in here, its all good though, i hope steam recovers and that its not that bad.Chris_Williams

That's also three days in which Valve were most likely unaware about the extent of the hacking. They still seem to be, for that matter. They're whole orders of magnitude smaller than Sony too, so that's pretty much expected.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="Tezcatlipoca666"]

DireOwl

Isn't obvious? Everyone hates Sony... EVERYONE.

Oh yeah, that must be it. People HATE Sony...

Problem is that I can't think of any reason why EVERYONE would harbor irrational hatred towards Sony. Not a single reason.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Remember how PSN was down for ages after/during the hack? Steam's still up and running just fine.

Also, the hate for Sony was already pretty high even before the hack (which wasn't long after the whole GeoHot saga), so the differences in reactions is pretty much expected.

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]also for people saying valve has their passwords better encrypted then sony how the heck do you know? obvisouly it ain't that great if valve says credit card information may have been compromised.Planeforger

It's common knowledge that Sony kept their CC info in plaintext, while Steam have announced that theirs is encrypted. That's a big difference in security between the two.

Also, you're confusing the security of their servers with the encryption on the CC info.
And for that matter, Valve already had better security with SteamGuard - the forum passwords are the only things that may have confirmable been leaked so far, and they're separate from the account passwords. Plus the account passwords themselves are useless due to how accounts are tied to individual PCs.

also valve waited 3 days to tell people, its not like they were fast on the reponse. Thats 3 days that you were unaware that your information was out their. So i'm loving the double standards that are going on in here, its all good though, i hope steam recovers and that its not that bad.Chris_Williams

That's also three days in which Valve were most likely unaware about the extent of the hacking. They still seem to be, for that matter. They're whole orders of magnitude smaller than Sony too, so that's pretty much expected.

1. sony brought down psn, to rebuild it, they had to do what they had to do

2. sony passwords were encrypted, as far as i know i haven't heard any body credit cards getting charged, where as their are numerous reports coming in that people are receiving charges on their accounts

3. how do you know what valve did in those 3 days, thats 3 days they didn't tell anyone just like sony but sony was 6 days

basically, steam got hacked yet your trying to justify why is okay and not a big deal, when it really is a big deal just like it was with sony, if Gabe Newell and steam have to send out messages and write a message to the masses that they have been invaded and you need to change your password then thats a big deal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="agpickle"]

lundy86_4

Knowing Valve, it'll be "Sorry we got hacked. Here's a free mansion, plus awesome gaming PC, to say sorry!"

Knowing Valve, it'l be "Sorry we got hacked. Here is a free hat for TF2"
agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="agpickle"]

ferret-gamer

Knowing Valve, it'l be "Sorry we got hacked. Here is a free hat for TF2"

Aww, that wouldn't be fun. If everyone has one, I wouldn't be able to get anyone to buy me a game for it like I usually do with my hats. :lol:

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 lundy86_4

Knowing Valve, it'l be "Sorry we got hacked. Here is a free hat for TF2"ferret-gamer

Lol, I never understood the hat obsession in that game :P

26whitewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 26whitewolf
Member since 2011 • 323 Posts
Why Valve, indeed. The guys always provied excelent support, their games always have tons of mod tools, its a rock solid secured system, reliable, we can buy games for cheap prices. God damn hackers. Gabe and valve didn't deserved that. now I **** scared, because even a reliable and old thing like steam got hacked, imagine the vulneraiblity of something bugged and unstable like ORIGIN?
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i think we should blame valve for not having the proper security in place... i mean.. the hate works for sony no?
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]Knowing Valve, it'l be "Sorry we got hacked. Here is a free hat for TF2"lundy86_4

Yeah it's not like it's a Third Person shooter anyway. You will never notice unless you do a taunt or something only good for other people to look at :P

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

i think we should blame valve for not having the proper security in place... i mean.. the hate works for sony no?campzor

1. Sony used outdated software that was easy to hack, I doubt Valve had the same problem

2. Sony knew that we got the master key in january and they still didn't care that all their security was on consoles

3. Sony screwed us by excluding functions like Linux

4. Sony sued small guys that just wanted to bring back what Sony took from them

5. Sony lied to us and tried to cover it up, we didn't get information for a long time

6. The PSN was down for a long time because they had no clue what they were doing

Valve on the other hand was always nice, the DRM was rather easy, they gave us fantastic sales and they have fantastic support. No need to hate Valve at all

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Looks like Valve may have to hire some people to do some wetwork.

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]i think we should blame valve for not having the proper security in place... i mean.. the hate works for sony no?ArchoNils2

1. Sony used outdated software that was easy to hack, I doubt Valve had the same problem

2. Sony knew that we got the master key in january and they still didn't care that all their security was on consoles

5. Sony lied to us and tried to cover it up, we didn't get information for a long time

6. The PSN was down for a long time because they had no clue what they were doing

Valve on the other hand was always nice, the DRM was rather easy, they gave us fantastic sales and they have fantastic support. No need to hate Valve at all

Still waiting on a link to prove this. I hear a lot of people saying Sony lied, and not a single source to back it up. The rest is simply you trying to justify for the hacker's point of view, when it's pretty obvious they just used the linux removal as an excuse. Honestly, who do you know who actually USED the linux feature on their PS3? Pretty much just hackers, and it's not like they needed to update their consoles with the firmware that removed it.

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#148 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

[QUOTE="ArchoNils2"]

[QUOTE="campzor"]i think we should blame valve for not having the proper security in place... i mean.. the hate works for sony no?xYamatox

Still waiting on a link to prove this. I hear a lot of people saying Sony lied, and not a single source to back it up. The rest is simply you trying to justify for the hacker's point of view, when it's pretty obvious they just used the linux removal as an excuse. Honestly, who do you know who actually USED the linux feature on their PS3? Pretty much just hackers, and it's not like they needed to update their consoles with the firmware that removed it.

Yeah the whole defense of hackers bit is old. Its obvious they weren't truly out fighting for gamer rights, or they wouldn't have hacked PSN causing the outage in the first place. Still dont have Linux support right? Where are the hacker heros now? Oh yeah, they are all running from the law or helping us out with Valve here. I'm sure there is some injustice we are unaware of that has caused them to attack Valve in a similar manner...the noble crusaders. lol
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#149 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]i think we should blame valve for not having the proper security in place... i mean.. the hate works for sony no?ArchoNils2

5. Wheres the proof they lied? Don't gimme a load of trash about defending Sony and damage control, proof or it didn't happen, Casey clearly says if you have a statement it should be backed up.

6. It was down so long because they had to update their entire network and add a hundred layers of security, clearly evident in their blogs but again a hater won't acknlowedge these things will he?

anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]Knowing Valve, it'l be "Sorry we got hacked. Here is a free hat for TF2"lundy86_4