Steam HACKED?!

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
that's strange... I didn't get any email
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
forgive be but I've lol
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#53 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Guess I should check my email... So how many accounts does Steam have? More than 77 million...?

ianuilliam

It aint the account details, i'll bet my bank balance that Steam has at least three times the credit card info on their servers, granted it was encrypted and hashed and all sorts but then again so was Sonys... Yet look how that turned out, people still claim Sony to be unsafe and unsecure, guess it's Steams turn in the never ending hacking race.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#54 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
God damn it. I hate when this s*** happens.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
that's strange... I didn't get any emailohthemanatee
I got the message when I opened Steam. Also, would my CC still be compromised if I unchecked the 'remember information for next purchase' box when I made my last purchase which was 2 weeks ago? Dumb question. :P
jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

The scouts (PSN and Steam) have been slaughtered. I guess Xbox Live is the last warrior left standing to fend off the barbarian horde (aka hackers).

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

the hackers must be mistaken between gabe newell  vs. micheal moore

Kiro0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Kiro0
Member since 2009 • 1176 Posts

Well looks like senators need to write angry letters and people need to start a class action suit against Valve now. I mean that was the response to when this happened to Sony, right?

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]that's strange... I didn't get any emailDroidPhysX
I got the message when I opened Steam. Also, would my CC still be compromised if I unchecked the 'remember information for next purchase' box when I made my last purchase which was 2 weeks ago? Dumb question. :P

I still haven't gotten anything... i'm getting worried :|

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Well looks like senators need to write angry letters and people need to start a class action suit against Valve now. I mean that was the response to when this happened to Sony, right?

Kiro0
Sony waited a week to tell people what really happened and weren't really honest about it at first.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="Kiro0"]

lawlessx

Sony waited a week to tell people what really happened and weren't really honest about it at first.

here we go, the "Sony is always persecuted" stigma is about to start in full force...

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#62 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say people won't blame Valve like they blamed Sony with the PSN fiasco.

tryagainlater

Sadly, you're right. System Wars is full of hypocrites.

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say people won't blame Valve like they blamed Sony with the PSN fiasco.

tryagainlater

Sony got blamed because they basically opened the gates and let the hackers in with flawed security. If valve doesnt have this problem, then there is no reason to blame them. Anyone can get hacked, nobody is invulnerable to it. If you think they are you are in denial.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 JohnF111

[QUOTE="Kiro0"]

lawlessx

The forums were hacked possibly three days and we are now only finding out the credit card databases have been hacked? OMG Steam how could you!!! Sony clearly said they didn't know for certain, can't be more honest than that better than a false positive.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
[QUOTE="tryagainlater"]

Timstuff
Sadly, I bet you're right. System Wars is full of hypocrites.

Its not hypocritical since Sony tried to cover it up in the first place (very poorly might i add) and only admitted it when everyone knew about it.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#66 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Oh great, well I keep a eye on my account for now and will probably change the password the moment I get back home.

Jesus_on_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Jesus_on_fire
Member since 2008 • 2022 Posts

Oh S*** :(

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ohthemanatee
so... is the fact that I haven't gotten an email a bad sign?
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#69 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Why hack steam? Valve is everyone's friend.WithoutGraceXII

Hackers arn't on anyone's side. They're only in it for themselves.They would probably start stabbing eachother in the back if they gained something from it.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Timstuff
[QUOTE="Timstuff"][QUOTE="tryagainlater"]

DroidPhysX
Sadly, I bet you're right. System Wars is full of hypocrites.

Its not hypocritical since Sony tried to cover it up in the first place (very poorly might i add) and only admitted it when everyone knew about it.

By those standards so did valve, since like Sony they also waited until a few days after the hack to tell people their cards might be stolen. People should be just as enraged at Valve as they were at Sony, but they won't be since the anti-Sony rage was about everything but the actual incident.
jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 jimmypsn

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]Sadly, I bet you're right. System Wars is full of hypocrites.Timstuff

By those standards so did valve, since like Sony they also waited until a few days after the hack to tell people their cards might be stolen. People should be just as enraged at Valve as they were at Sony, but they won't be since the anti-Sony rage was about everything but the actual incident.

Sony lied to people about the hack. Then tried to cover it up. They are a very deceptive when it comes to these things.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 jimmypsn

I'm glad Valve is honest and upfront right away rather than wait a week or two like Sony hoping the news would blow over.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
so... is the fact that I haven't gotten an email a bad sign? ohthemanatee
Just watch your account info every afew hours.
Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

This is obviously a reaction to the development of Episode 3.... :P

BiscuitCruiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 BiscuitCruiser
Member since 2011 • 352 Posts

so... is the fact that I haven't gotten an email a bad sign? ohthemanatee

Don't think anyone got a email, it was a msg on the steam forums

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Wow. Is there cause for concern? I have an account better I never really use steam.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#77 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

[QUOTE="Timstuff"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] Its not hypocritical since Sony tried to cover it up in the first place (very poorly might i add) and only admitted it when everyone knew about it.jimmypsn

Sony lied to people about the hack. Then tried to cover it up. They are a very deceptive when it comes to these things.

What lie? I want to see a link to a lie directly attributed to Sony.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Timstuff
[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]By those standards so did valve, since like Sony they also waited until a few days after the hack to tell people their cards might be stolen. People should be just as enraged at Valve as they were at Sony, but they won't be since the anti-Sony rage was about everything but the actual incident.DerekLoffin

Doing research and citing credible sources to back up a bold statement is the mark of good debating skills, which is something you will rarely find in system wars.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 JohnF111

[QUOTE="Timstuff"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] Its not hypocritical since Sony tried to cover it up in the first place (very poorly might i add) and only admitted it when everyone knew about it.jimmypsn

Lie i'd like to see this "lie" you speak of. If you mean a non-direct answer such as "It's possible credit card info was compromised" then Valve are doing the EXACT same thing, "We are currently investigating", this is the forth day and Valve have only given the same answer Sony gave "There is a possibility".

Bashing is no fun unless the person bashing is at least a challenge.

Snakemaster9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Snakemaster9
Member since 2010 • 1420 Posts

Yup, Sony lied to me. For 2 weeks too! :O

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Guess I should check my email... So how many accounts does Steam have? More than 77 million...?

ianuilliam

MIght wanna change ur sig.... since 3.8 million is sold to retailers

also... on topic... Hope my CC info isnt taken....

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts
so then will people finally shut up about sony messing up too?
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Wow, this is some serious s***! I don't use a credit card for psn/xbl, but anything pc related, I do. Hmm.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 JohnF111

Wow, this is some serious s***! I don't use a credit card for psn/xbl, but anything pc related, I do. Hmm.

Heirren
Encrypted so should be okay, hell Sony used(possibly) weaker encryption and no one was ever defrauded of money, one or two people claim to have been but seems like coincidence, my only concern is that Steam has far more credit cards in the database so higher chance of determination winning through in getting to these details. Doubtful and my card runs out in a year so if they can get my numbers and use them in that time then i'd congratulate the gits.
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

For people who are using Steam, deactivate all other computers by using Steam Guard.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Timstuff

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

moistsandwich

MIght wanna change ur sig.... since 3.8 million is sold to retailers

also... on topic... Hope my CC info isnt taken....

Nope. Looks like someone missed IGN's update. 3.8 million sold to customers confirmed. :D
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Heirren

It's encrypted and you're insured. I wouldn't worry. Any fraudulent charges I get, I report them, have them issue a refund and then report the card lost/stolen. Nice and easy :P

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 jimmypsn

So as long as you don't get an email. You're safe right?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 JohnF111

For people who are using Steam, deactivate all other computers by using Steam Guard.

Vesica_Prime
Done, never knew about that little checkbox. Nice one!
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 lundy86_4

So as long as you don't get an email. You're safe right?

jimmypsn

Nope. There's a notification when you load up Steam. To be safe, just change your password (so you don't get locked out of your account), and if you want, report your CC lost/stolen to have a new one issued. If not, just watch for charges and report if you get one (then report your card lost/stolen).

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

Vesica_Prime

What's the purpose of that? Unless they hacked your email address too, there aren't going to be any other computers authorised to use your account.

Anyway, they can't steal accounts due to Steam Guard, and the forum accounts...well, who cares. The only issue is the credit card data, and that might not have been taken at all (and if it had, it'd still have Valve's best encryption on it, so...possibly not even a big deal?).

Also, fortunately the Store and games systems are all functioning just fine, suggesting that it's not an ongoing leak (and they've probably already prevented similar security breaches from ever happening again).

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

It's all good and well to say we're all safe with steamguard and whatnot but just look at Valve's message. It's full of doubt and not very reassuring.

Seriously, the future of digital downloads is very bleak if hackers can just get away with this crap so freely.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="tryagainlater"]

SolidTy

But the rage...lol. It's different when you like the company I think. :P

This exactly what's gonna happen.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#94 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="tryagainlater"]

Timstuff

Sadly, you're right. System Wars is full of hypocrites.

It's also full of people with selective memories.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

It's all good and well to say we're all safe with steamguard and whatnot but just look at Valve's message. It's full of doubt and not very reassuring.

Crossel777

The message doesn't seem particularly vague.

The hackers potentially have access to:

• user names (big deal)
  • hashed and salted passwords (again, not a huge issue - they're encrypted, there's SteamGuard, and the forum passwords don't matter)
  • game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses (these three might worry people who care about their identities, but it's not exactly compromising stuff on its own)
  • encrypted credit card information (the main issue - but it *is* encrypted).

They don't have evidence that any of this information was actually taken, or that their encryptions have been broken. If they had, they'd announce it right away, and tell us to take action immediately.

They don't have any evidence of credit card misuse, but suggest keeping an eye on your cards. That's fair enough - nothing unusual there.

They do know that some forum accounts have been compromised, so it's possible that the hackers have accessed forum usernames and passwords. Thus if you've used that forum password for any other accounts, you should change that password on your other accounts.
That's the only password change that they strongly encourage, and again, it makes perfect sense. Fortunately it shouldn't even apply to people who use multiple passwords for things.

They don't see the point in mandating that everyone get a new Steam password, but say that it wouldn't be a bad idea to change it. Again, that's fair enough.

I don't really see the doubt there, or the lack of assurance.
Sure, they don't know the extent of the hack, but on the plus side, there's no clear evidence that anything particularly damaging has occured. Also, the Store is still up and running, as are all of their games servers, so it looks like they're not worried about further breaches.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#96 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

WHAT KIND OF EVIL BEING WOULD HACK STEAM!? :x

Some people.

CammiTac
It's all a devious plot from micro$oft. They are hiring hackers (remember them wanting to hire geosnotz), to make PSN and steam look bad, and push their pay to play paradigm. Expect apple itunes app store to be the next target. :P
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

At least we can still play online unlike PSN :P

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Just goes to show, no one is safe from hackers.

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]By those standards so did valve, since like Sony they also waited until a few days after the hack to tell people their cards might be stolen. People should be just as enraged at Valve as they were at Sony, but they won't be since the anti-Sony rage was about everything but the actual incident.DerekLoffin

Still waiting on that source, hermits...

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 lundy86_4

Still waiting on that source, hermits...

xYamatox

Did you just call JimmyPSN a Hermit? :lol: