TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22686 Posts

https://xpgained.co.uk/news/starfield-achieved-an-unprecedented-player-count-record-in-2023/

Happy weekend! The game everyone hates and no one plays garnered attention for being recognized as the last bastion of single player count....

What say you system wars? Does it make you happy Starfield had such high player counts? Does it cause you pain?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56123 Posts

Well, this is gonna piss-off hardwenzen for sure🤭😁

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69521 Posts

When a single player game is sporting multiplayer engagement, that is at least interesting.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58987 Posts

Just goes to show,

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11099 Posts

C'mon, Starfield. Get up! You're still relevant! I swear!

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sonny2dap  Online
Member since 2008 • 2067 Posts

Shows the market is there, the end product was undercooked, but there's an audience for a title like Starfield and when/if the creation kit hits I could see starfield being iterated on to correct some of the tonal problems that Bethesda clearly ran into.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:

C'mon, Starfield. Get up! You're still relevant! I swear!

😂😂
😂😂

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38853 Posts

I see a title like this, i come to see sales numbers. What are the sales? What are they? Stop hiding them, and show me the sales. Until that's done, whoever rented the game for $1-10 on GP means nothing.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator

@hardwenzen: I give it a year later before we hear anything about sales figures. We'll just have to wait till Sept 2024.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hardwenzen  Online

@davillain said:

@hardwenzen: I give it a year later before we hear anything about sales figures. We'll just have to wait till Sept 2024.

Why? Its supposed to be a successful title, remember?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator

@hardwenzen said:
@davillain said:

Sure I guess. I just don't expect any sales reports anytime soon.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen  Online

@davillain said:
@hardwenzen said:
@davillain said:

Sure I guess. I just don't expect any sales reports anytime soon.

Hiding low numbers just so the socials don't pick them up, and make Starfield even more of a joke than it already is.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26101 Posts

This just means a lot of people were excited to try it at launch. It says nothing of its present popularity or player count.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hardwenzen  Online

ON A WEEKEND🤣

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19573 Posts

I call bullshit on this. Show us the numbers.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6059 Posts

@davillain: @hardwenzen: Its was the 11 highest selling game of 2023 (in the US) which is kinda impressive when you consider it was day 1 on GP.

But im sure wenzy you will DC it somehow, it's just what people like you always do lol.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hardwenzen  Online

@last_lap said:

@davillain: @hardwenzen: Its was the 11 highest selling game of 2023 (in the US) which is kinda impressive when you consider it was day 1 on GP.

But im sure wenzy you will DC it somehow, it's just what people like you always do lol.

WHAT ARE THE NUMBERS, bro? WHAT ARE THEY?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 12978 Posts

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hardwenzen  Online

Gamers are worried, and if you're one, you should be worried as well.

Loading Video...
GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2475 Posts

Starfield slipped from the NPD top 10 for 2023. MAUs are nice and all, but unless they result in some sort of meaningful financial transaction, it’s just Xbox leaving money on the table. Which is why they are now porting games to competitors hardware…

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Let's do some math shall we, so if you look at the list I provided you will see that the 10th highest selling game of 2023 in EA FC 24 sold 6.8 million copies (more by now) and the 12th highest selling game of 2023 was Resident Evil Remake 4 which sold 6.4 million copies (more by now) so i'll leave the rest up to you to deduce how many copies were sold in 2023.

For someone who wants the NUMBERS SO BADLY, you don't seem to have the grey matter to figure it out for yourself, now I await your obvious spin.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hardwenzen  Online

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Let's do some math shall we, so if you look at the list I provided you will see that the 10th highest selling game of 2023 in EA FC 24 sold 6.8 million copies (more by now) and the 12th highest selling game of 2023 was Resident Evil Remake 4 which sold 6.4 million copies (more by now) so i'll leave the rest up to you to deduce how many copies were sold in 2023.

For someone who wants the NUMBERS SO BADLY, you don't seem to have the grey matter to figure it out for yourself, now I await your obvious spin.

No, we won't do any math. This is a super successful title, yea? WHAT ARE THE NUMBERS?

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By palasta
Member since 2017 • 1397 Posts

Ok. Am i suppose to cheer that so many people like to play trash?

Or being surprised the most hyped game of 2023 by the most overrated developer will sell well?

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 687 Posts

I wonder if they will be able to pull a no man's sky/cyberpunk and actually turn it around.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

No, we won't do any math. This is a super successful title, yea? WHAT ARE THE NUMBERS?

My bad, I should have known you couldn't figure it out for yourself.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pedro

@palasta said:

Ok. Am i suppose to cheer that so many people like to play trash?

Or being surprised the most hyped game of 2023 by the most overrated developer will sell well?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44196 Posts

Congrats to Microsoft and Bethesda and of course, thank you Game Pass. 🙏😎

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

'Had' being the key word of course.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hardwenzen  Online

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

My bad, I should have known you couldn't figure it out for yourself.

What are the numbers. Simple question, yea? How many copies have it sold? Hope that's not too much to ask for for a very successful game. Numbers, give it to me.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2140 Posts

The only relevant numbers here are: how many new gamepass subs did it generate, how much money did they lose by having the game on gamepass from day 1.

A bunch of people, who already had gamepass, trying out the game for an hour is not the metric that counts when it comes the time for financial reports.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

Congrats Xbox and Bethesda on proving that SP games are still viable on console, despite not one single Sony SP game making the list. Wenzen is already having a full blown meltdown over this, despite ignoring his ps5 for over a year now.

It’s hilarious as usual.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2930 Posts

I still believe that Starfield deserved better than a 7, though it is not as good as Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. It tries too much, and it makes some missteps.

I completed the main story, all faction quests and many side quests, but now I have lost interest in the game. I think I have spent around 150-200 hours on the game.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1253 Posts

Nice to see starfield still bringing cows the pain......best get some painkillers,xbox have some bangers on the horizon

... playstation has nothing 🤣😂

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 670 Posts

I could probably play Starfield on my newish PC on minimum specs but I have no interest or desire to. I have no interest in playing a Bethesda game in the same way that some people have no interest in playing an Atlus game or a Ubisoft game.

Also crowing about player numbers of game that was part of the subscription of the reported 30 million Game Pass subscribers does not show a game is successful. A flagship GP title should be getting high player numbers. They were just hitting par. Even niche games like Genshin Impact and Honkai Star Rail have ten of millions of players and they are games that get boring very quickly.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

It causes me both great pain and joy to see this. I'm very confused :P.

In all seriousness though I haven't played the game yet so I can't really make a call on it's quality. I'm waiting for patches and the expansion before taking the plunge.

I'm not surprised to see it high up though as it is a new BSG game with a new IP backed by a big hype machine. I mean the game is more than likely already successful in terms of sales. Whether it's legacy (since reactions have been...er...mixed) will come back to bite BSG in the ass, only something time will tell.

However using a player count metric or user engagement metric to measure the success of a SP game is...er....flawed. SP games have a shelf life. They have an end. People move on. Nothing wrong with that. It's not a poor reflection that people do move on. It's good for the industry. Really the only way to measure the quality of a SP game are the players reactions and reviews.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 12978 Posts

@ghostofgolden said:

Starfield slipped from the NPD top 10 for 2023. MAUs are nice and all, but unless they result in some sort of meaningful financial transaction, it’s just Xbox leaving money on the table. Which is why they are now porting games to competitors hardware…

As a gamer I am concerned about MAU, not how much money a $3 trillion corporation gets. I have no shares in Sony nor MS.

Why are you more worried about MS becoming a $4 trillion corporation?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34617 Posts

Doesn't bother me that much. A bit lame that what I think is a bad game can be so popular just because of marketing, but that's just how the world is. Next time Bethesda could half-ass a game even more, and still sell millions. And that's just not very cool to me.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro

@kvallyx said:
@ghostofgolden said:

As a gamer I am concerned about MAU, not how much money a $3 trillion corporation gets. I have no shares in Sony nor MS.

Why are you more worried about MS becoming a $4 trillion corporation?

Because as a gamer you must be concerned about the well being of multi trillion dollar companies.😂

Only applicable to idiots.😏

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8089 Posts

Good deal, I really enjoyed the game and poured tons of hours into it.. Glad to see many others enjoyed it as well..

And last time I checked, Starfield isn't available for free. Whether at retail or via a subscription, those players paid Microsoft to play the game.. So please stop with the usual damage control..

The game performed extremely well.. Get over it...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro

@Antwan3K said:

Good deal, I really enjoyed the game and poured tons of hours into it.. Glad to see many others enjoyed it as well..

And last time I checked, Starfield isn't available for free. Whether at retail or via a subscription, those players paid Microsoft to play the game.. So please stop with the usual damage control..

The game performed extremely well.. Get over it...

Starfield is a free to play game. Everyone knows this.😏

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8854 Posts

@hardwenzen: Here we go again, super-cow pointing to Steam.

Your broken-record comments have reduced you to the point your more parody than fanboy.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hardwenzen  Online

@dabear said:

@hardwenzen: Here we go again, super-cow pointing to Steam.

Your broken-record comments have reduced you to the point your more parody than fanboy.

dabear please. you try your hardest to defend starfield and infinite, but we both know that's not working against me. my posts are hard hitting because they're true. So true that you create your own little reality to cope with the situation.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9549 Posts

Look, I like Bethesda, although I feel like their last two games were a bit of a dissappintment, but let's not pretend these numbers aren't being propped up by Gamepass. Not saying thats a bad thing, just saying,

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22686 Posts

Microsoft, Bethesda and Todd Howard were like King Leonidas and the brave 300 holding off all that multi-player, free to play trash like the Persian army....

THIS.... IS..... SPARTA!!

I thought you big single player guys would rejoice at Starfield getting us on the list.... No?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50563 Posts

Oh, sweet! What were the numbers/sales?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro

@Chutebox said:

@last_lap said:

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50563 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Chutebox said:

@last_lap said:

Wait wait wait, when boy in FF7 thread was doing this, you weren't having it. But now it's all good???

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pedro

@Chutebox said:
@Pedro said:
@Chutebox said:

@last_lap said:

Wait wait wait, when boy in FF7 thread was doing this, you weren't having it. But now it's all good???

I point you to someone who provided information and you reference an incident not relating to this thread that literally didn't do what @last_lap did?😂 I guess that really stuck with you and you can't even discern difference. Feel free to quote since you are so inclined.😊

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 275 Posts

Amazing game and well deserved.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points