Star Citizen Dev: Consoles Couldn't Handle The Game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#251 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

@melonfarmerz: The Division has shown no downgrade yet. FC3 and WD are there only offenders. I doubt AC unity will get one when it's coming out in 4 months.

Pretty sure there's been a few articles saying it's already been downgraded (The Division). As for AC4, I guess we'll see soon enough.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#252  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@SambaLele said:

@AdrianWerner said:

@SambaLele said:

Since when are developers omniscient? Just specs are enough? They don't get obstacles they didn't foresee when programming? They can't get impressed when working with a hardware hands-on?

Or what they say is set in stone? Certainly, it can't be a marketing move, righ?

In case of a game like Star Citizen I expect it's memory that will be the problem. Plus you can do a lot of neat tricks while working on consoles to bridge the gap, but majority of them don't work in MMO enviorement. Add to all this the fact that the game will keep on expanding and upgrading for years and it's easy to see why they can't imagine ever making it work on consoles. Because even if they could somehow make it work on intial release, how would they push it even further after updates?

Also..notice how your links were about last gen hardware. This time consoles are bassicaly PCs, with exact same architecture as PC. THere's nothing to be surprised by in them. Devs who worked on PC know pretty much everything about PS4 and xbox one already/

Ever? I mean, really?

Chris Roberts himself said before that he'd consider releasing the game on the PS4 and/or X1. The conditions he brought up in order to do it didn't even list anything related to performance:

"IF the platform holders (Sony & Microsoft) allow us to update the code and data without restrictions and odious time consuming [quality control] procedures, IF they allow our community to openly interact with each other across platforms then I would CONSIDER supporting them."

He just doesn't want to impact the quality of the PC product, and doesn't want Sony or MS having a say in how it'll work. That's great, I wish there were more devs like that. But I never saw him saying that he'll never consider a console port, actually there's he saying that it's a possibility.

This (the affirmation brought by the OP) is all semiotics, marketing strategies meant to go unnoticed. It's not made freely, this is an almost $50 million budget game. Before any interview, everything he can or can't say is already defined by the marketing team, and for a purpose...

Again, I never said that the game can run perfectly on consoles, equal to PC (that simply can't happen, one is a pre-defined complex of parts, the other is just an abstract concept of any complex of parts with unlimited potential). Only that this kind of talk sounds outright like a marketing move. And I wouldn't be surprised if one day they backtracked on it, just as if it was never said in the first place (much like Crytek with Crysis).

Well, those articles are a year old. I can't imagine the limitations the console version will have. I mean it can't even run the PC minecraft version with infinite sized worlds and dedicated servers on the next-gen...

Butcer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#253  Edited By Butcer2
Member since 2010 • 75 Posts

Star citizen is a vanity / vaporware project that will go the same route of duke nukem forever , killed by feature creep

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#254  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Butcer2 said:

Star citizen is a vanity / vaporware project that will go the same route of duke nukem forever , killed by feature creep

because....why?

Butcer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By Butcer2
Member since 2010 • 75 Posts

@lawlessx said:

@Butcer2 said:

because....why?

the hallmark of vaporware is adding in endless features same shit that happend with duke nukem forever due to george broussard feature creep

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Butcer2 said:

@lawlessx said:

@Butcer2 said:

because....why?

the hallmark of vaporware is adding in endless features same shit that happend with duke nukem forever due to george broussard feature creep

i'd agree if they didn't have separate teams working on different parts of the game. i wouldn't be completely shocked if something gets cut or delayed..but the core game is where most of my interest is in

Laharl5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 Laharl5
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

LOL. This guy.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#258  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@SambaLele said:

Ever? I mean, really?

Yes. Ever. Those were from over a year ago, when the scale of the whole project was pretty small compared to how it is now. Considering what devs newest comments are, it's obvious the project grew beyond what consoles will be able to handle.

Of course you can downrage the game to hell and back and make it work. I'm sure they could even make it work on Wii U if they tried, it's just not worth it.

Plus even taking technical problems aside, I don't think it makes a lot of sense financially to support consoles. MMOs live and die on how often they are updated and how fast they improve. Trying to support consoles is like shooting yourself in the foot. Creating those versions and then supporting them take a lot of resources, resources that you don't spend on already hard work of improving PC SKU. I think ultimatelly almost all PC/console multiplat MMOS will fail because of that.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#259  Edited By Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 705 Posts

@lostrib: PS4 is DVD player for people who suck at video games. Everything else is.... above average

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#260 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Alexander2cents said:

@lostrib: PS4 is DVD player for people who suck at video games. Everything else is.... above average

what...?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife:

Loading Video...

1920x1080p low settings for 7770

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@Alexander2cents said:

did you just revive an 8 month old thread?

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#263 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

@deadline-zero0:

Well he just had to get at lostrib since he's so hard to track down in other threads. lostrib hardly even posts on this forum anymore. What's the point? >_>

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#265  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@ronvalencia said:

@FreedomFreeLife:

Loading Video...

1920x1080p low settings for 7770

I know the thread is old and shouldn't have been bumped but

Arena Commander is not Star Citizen, just a tiny portion of what will be in the final game. Let's see how a PS4 level cpu and a 7850 level GPU gets on with around 100 players in ships ranging from M50 single seaters to massive multi-crew Javilin destroyers or even Bengall carriers all at the same time as 1000's of npc's controlled and crewed ships. Today's high end PC's will likely struggle to run this,in its entirety, on anything more than medium settings.

That's not taking into account the 8Gb total of system RAM.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

that must mean 90% pc cant handle it either considering ps4 is more powerful than most pc

#beggar racer owned

#selfownage

#hashtag abuse

See... this is why console gamers get made fun of.

Seriously, just accept that PCs are more powerful than consoles. Give the Hermits their just dues. Saying dumb things like "The PS4/XB1 is more powerful than __% of PCs" just opens the door for Hermits to tear us all a new one.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@sam890 said:

UC4 & The Order still looks better.

<sigh>... seriously... STOP IT. You are just giving Hermits ammunition to belittle console gamers.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61483 Posts

Given the sheer scale, i'm more than inclined to believe him. It definitely seems like your usual hype, but what we've seen shows ridiculous visuals.

Edit: Wow, old thread. It must be a lot of fun bumping old threads.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#269 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

We don't need to necro old threads.