Star Citizen Dev: Consoles Couldn't Handle The Game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#101 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@topgunmv said:

@Wasdie said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Wasdie said:

@Pray_to_me said:

Star Citizen's looking pretty unimpressive since the new Next gen exclusives have been revealed.

Sorry Hermits. You're gonna need a $4000 rig to play this game and thats only because it's going to be horribly optimized.

This is trollbait right? Or are you that ignorant?

I can imagine this game will take far more power than whats actually physically required of GPU's to run this game. Do you disagree?

Due to the fact that I can play a completely unoptimized version of the game on my GTX 780, I'm going to disagree heavily. I run it at high settings at 2560x1440 at about 40 FPS despite the completely unoptimized state the game is currently in.

What's the spread in quality between high and maxed out?

Some distant LODing and some reflective surfaces. They are the CryEngine default settings, they have not been optimized at all. There is very little LODing going on and a lot of unnecessary detail being rendered. Lots of optimization work to go yet.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Except visually there is nothing special about the game. It reminds me when Cevat from Crytek was blabbering about how Cryisis couldn't run on consoles and years later he was talking about how awesome it was on consoles. This is the best way to sell a game to PC gamers so at least he knows how gullible they are.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

Except visually there is nothing special about the game. It reminds me when Cevat from Crytek was blabbering about how Cryisis couldn't run on consoles and years later he was talking about how awesome it was on consoles. This is the best way to sell a game to PC gamers so at least he knows how gullible they are.

Said the guy who said AC Unity was a amazing looking game. BTW it doesn't look as good as Star Citizen.

Crysis on console was made with a different engine with the second Crysis being much smaller in levels. They were not the same as the pc version. Comparing developers of Crysis to those from CIG yea wonder how its going for Crytek right now.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#104 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

Well I just broke down and bought an Avenger and am downloading the early access stuff now. I've been looking for something to challenge the new cards.

Did you buy the game package or just the ship?

Avatar image for highking_kallor
highking_kallor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#105 highking_kallor
Member since 2014 • 594 Posts

@foxhound_fox:

You cant moan about weakass consoles and then game on that. My kids have better laptops and they arent even at high school yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@foxhound_fox: Game package. I have to pay the $5 for the dogfight alpha but I will have beta access among other things.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By foxhound_fox

@highking_kallor said:

@foxhound_fox:

You cant moan about weakass consoles and then game on that. My kids have better laptops and they arent even at high school yet.

Translation: "My e-peen is bigger than your e-peen, so I am right and you are wrong".

Your counter-argument does nothing to prove the fact that my laptop is a capable gaming platform.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#108 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

I dont think any PC gamer ever doubted this.

Giving this assurance to reinforce a popular PC gaming opinion is just a silly PR stunt.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 AM-Gamer

@CroidX: You do realize just about every professional preview said AC unity looked amazing visually.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By CroidX

@AM-Gamer:

And so did many who were extremely impress with seeing Star Citizen what's your point. Unless your going to pretend as if people aren't talking about the game because many are.

I seen far more people praise SC graphics than AC Unity.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#111 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

Unless this game is released in 2020 I don't believe them. If the consoles can't handle this games "massive galaxies" then the majority of pcs wont be able to handle it either. Or they are using this as a marketing stunt to drive up PC sales because PC gamers would love an exclusive game that "can't" be done on consoles. Do you all remember when Crysis "couldn't be done on consoles"? How'd that turn out? Granted it lost a ton of visual fidelity the game was accomplished on 256mb of ram and 256mb of vram.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

@CroidX: You do realize just about every professional preview said AC unity looked amazing visually.

I don't think we've seen any "gameplay" of Unity yet...

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By CroidX

@bigblunt537 said:

Unless this game is released in 2020 I don't believe them. If the consoles can't handle this games "massive galaxies" then the majority of pcs wont be able to handle it either. Or they are using this as a marketing stunt to drive up PC sales because PC gamers would love an exclusive game that "can't" be done on consoles. Do you all remember when Crysis "couldn't be done on consoles"? How'd that turn out? Granted it lost a ton of visual fidelity the game was accomplished on 256mb of ram and 256mb of vram.

They are targeting a certain audience not someone that casually plays something like the sims and like you said it was downgraded they had to make a different engine for the game not the same as the pc version.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

This is the best way to sell a game to PC gamers so at least he knows how gullible they are.

Oh the irony.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 AM-Gamer

@CroidX said:

@AM-Gamer:

And so did many who were extremely impress with seeing Star Citizen what's your point. Unless your going to pretend as if people aren't talking about the game because many are.

On System wars maybe. Nobody says it looks far beyond anything on next gen consoles because it doesnt. Its just standard hyperbole.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

So thsi game will only run on very high end system, and not pc spec comparable to next gen console? This cuts at least 90% of market, then cutting more of piracy and people who wait for sale to buy game. Aiming for very small consumer segment if this is the case.

I guess this is ok when raising so much money already, but a lot of donor will not be able to run this game and disappointed... I think game look very good however and I hope it is good and strong community.

What sales? People have already bought their access to the game, and then some.

The average backer has pledged $96.50 USD so far.

Apparently PC gamers are willing to pay well over retail MSRP for something they really, really want.

After release of game, often retailer discount price to entice more buyer. Do you need other simple concept explain to you?

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By CroidX

@AM-Gamer said:

@CroidX said:

@AM-Gamer:

On System wars maybe. Nobody says it looks far beyond anything on next gen consoles because it doesnt. Its just standard hyperbole.

OK dude if you insist just like how your claim AC Unity was somehow on par or better looking I'm sure people in SW had a laugh not as bad as the guy who claim COD Advanced somehow looked better.

Where are all the games with the sheer scale and graphics of SC on next gen console?

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By AM-Gamer

@melonfarmerz said:

@AM-Gamer said:

I don't think we've seen any "gameplay" of Unity yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpJ6GICqQyc

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 foxhound_fox

@GoldenElementXL said:

@foxhound_fox: Game package. I have to pay the $5 for the dogfight alpha but I will have beta access among other things.

Good. At least you got some ship insurance.

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

After release of game, often retailer discount price to entice more buyer. Do you need other simple concept explain to you?

Yeah, your English is so terrible I can't understand the crap you just said.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#120 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

So thsi game will only run on very high end system, and not pc spec comparable to next gen console? This cuts at least 90% of market, then cutting more of piracy and people who wait for sale to buy game. Aiming for very small consumer segment if this is the case.

I guess this is ok when raising so much money already, but a lot of donor will not be able to run this game and disappointed... I think game look very good however and I hope it is good and strong community.

What sales? People have already bought their access to the game, and then some.

The average backer has pledged $96.50 USD so far.

Apparently PC gamers are willing to pay well over retail MSRP for something they really, really want.

retailers? star citizen is going to be a free2play title

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 AM-Gamer

@CroidX said:

@AM-Gamer said:

@CroidX said:

@AM-Gamer:

OK dude if you insist just like how your claim AC Unity was somehow on par or better looking I'm sure people in SW had a laugh not as bad as the guy who claim COD Advanced somehow looked better.

Where are all the games with the sheer scale and graphics of SC on next gen console?

AC unity is showing crowds with 100s of people on the streets in massive citys. Firs of all I realize most AC's have just rehashed the same last gen engine but that is simply not the case with AC unity it looked outstanding. As far as massive games. The Witcher 3 is huge and will be done on consoles with no load times. Its even larger then Skyrim. You have Infamous SS which rendered the entire city of Seattle with very impressive detal. So all this BS about scale is just that. Both consoles have plenty of Ram to render large scale enviorments at high quality. I realize open world games will probalby not look like The Order 1886 or Uncharted but none the less they are still doing massive world games with impressive visuals.

The diffrence is back in 2006 when we saw Crysis running on beastly PC's it looked like something that was far ahead of consoles. Star Citizen simply doesnt have that look. Not even close. It would be nice if the guy actually made a game for a console before he talks about its capablitiles.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#122  Edited By bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

@CroidX said:

@bigblunt537 said:

They are targeting a certain audience not someone that casually plays something like the sims and like you said it was downgraded they had to make a different engine for the game not the same as the pc version.

I understand that they are targeting a gaming audience on PC's, but if it "can't" run at all on consoles than one would think that the majority of systems not running a Titan or equivalent shouldn't even bother trying this game. That being said if most gaming computers GTX 750(equivalent) and up can run this game at least at low then this game can in fact run on consoles. By run I am not saying that it needs to be 1080p 60 fps with all the bells and whistles. Regardless anyone that has any business sense understands that all they are doing is marketing. I'm a PC gamer myself and look forward to seeing how this turns out, but saying it "couldn't" run on a console is pure PR BS.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By CroidX

@AM-Gamer:

We know nothing about how exactly big these places are in AC Unity since AC game generally never were that massively large and SC is far larger than skyrim or witcher also not as good graphically either compared to SC. ISS isn't even that big far smaller than Witcher 3 or Skyrim.

Why is Crysis even being bought up its not even massive scale game and please I seen nothing that tops SC scale and it will only become better once the developers optimize it more. And so far most of the game you mention can't even be played yet.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#124 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Why do I get the impression these guys are trying to squeeze the same nitch market they got when they made the original crysis especially given how poorly their performance has been on the console space

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By CroidX

@megaspiderweb09:

SC devs have nothing to do with Crysis

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 CroidX

@bigblunt537 said:

@CroidX said:

@bigblunt537 said:

I understand that they are targeting a gaming audience on PC's, but if it "can't" run at all on consoles than one would think that the majority of systems not running a Titan or equivalent shouldn't even bother trying this game. That being said if most gaming computers GTX 750(equivalent) and up can run this game at least at low then this game can in fact run on consoles. By run I am not saying that it needs to be 1080p 60 fps with all the bells and whistles. Regardless anyone that has any business sense understands that all they are doing is marketing. I'm a PC gamer myself and look forward to seeing how this turns out, but saying it "couldn't" run on a console is pure PR BS.

The GTX 750 gpu is better than what's in the console from what I read

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

Er, you wot mate?

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By CroidX

@gpuking said:

Er, you wot mate?

Cut scene from Games that have yet to come out with little to no gameplay and far linear

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@aroxx_ab said:

@foxhound_fox:

Ah sorry that is right, if you count 500k sold is good so sure...is that normal "good" numbers for indie games? I was comparing it to those AAA-games consider all the hyping hermits doing about this game...

Star Citizen is an indie game with a greater-than-AAA budget ($10-20M is "normal" for a AAA game these days).

Let that mull around in that noggin of yours for a while.

It's being marketed to a very specific crowd of gamers. Cloud Imperium isn't trying to get everyone and their grandmother to play it. They have made a game that people want to play, and are paying a lot of money for the privilege. More than any modern console retail MSRP.

Mhmm, 500k sold is pretty great considering people on average spent close to $100 on the game.

Here's a scenario: 1 million sales at $5-15 (typical indie price range) or 500k sold at close to $100, take your pick.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#133  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@lostrib said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

PLAYSTATION 4 IS WEAK CONSOLE FOR NOOBS!!!

Why only mention PS4?

Because he's the latest of the lemming refugees, as if he's fooling anyone. Hilarious to see so many XBox faithful make the same tactical retreat in the last year...

On topic: Considering most current gaming PCs can't run it either, this isn't really news, except for those that need to keep reassuring themselves.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

It can run on consoles just like Doom 3 and Half Life 2 ran on the original Xbox, the problem is just how much would they have to strip back to get it to run?

PC is and always will be the better platform for performance and game play experience, you can play the games on consoles but it's a much better game play experience on PC due to higher frame rates and less frame rate dips.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@system-reboot said:

@sam890 said:

UC4 & The Order still looks better.

1. Linear corridor cinematic action game vs fully open space.

2. CGI footage vs In game gameplay

try again

Lol you are just ignorant. UC4 is not CGI footage. It was real time on PS4. It said on the beginning "captured on PS4".

It was CGI footage. Captured on PS4

Deep Down and Uncharted 3 had same case
Captured on PS4:

REAL GAMEPLAY ON PS4:

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

I for one am happy because I will finally be able to get some software that can max out my pc. Same deal with ac wifi routers most of my home gear is 2x2 n band only my pc can use ac. Same deal with my tv I only have netflix 4k and it is not maxing out my hdtv.

I might even have to upgrade my pc but from what I have seen it's worth it.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@system-reboot said:

@sam890 said:

UC4 & The Order still looks better.

1. Linear corridor cinematic action game vs fully open space.

2. CGI footage vs In game gameplay

try again

Lol you are just ignorant. UC4 is not CGI footage. It was real time on PS4. It said on the beginning "captured on PS4".

It was CGI footage. Captured on PS4

Deep Down and Uncharted 3 had same case

Captured on PS4:

REAL GAMEPLAY ON PS4:

Downgrade confirmed.... The armour in the bottom shot looks like it was rendered on PS3

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@highking_kallor said:

@foxhound_fox:

Translation: "My e-peen is bigger than your e-peen, so I am right and you are wrong".

Your counter-argument does nothing to prove the fact that my laptop is a capable gaming platform.

and your "translation" applies to EVERY PC gamer who feels the need to compare their open platform to static hardware such as the consoles.

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 gpuking

@CroidX

Cutscene or Linear still rendered realtime and the gameplay looked the same confirmed by the devs. These two utterly destroy anything on PC right now or upcoming in sheer graphics fidelity.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@handssss said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@highking_kallor said:

@foxhound_fox:

and your "translation" applies to EVERY PC gamer who feels the need to compare their open platform to static hardware such as the consoles.

Consolites are the people who start 99 percent of the graphic threads. Then they get salty when the master race aka hermits add in their two cents about the real graphic king the almighty pc. This gen consoles ps4/xflop started off with mid now low end pc hardware and it's only 2014. The ps5 most likely won't come out till 2020. Seeing how pc hardware 2x in power every year 4k gaming with soon become the norm on pc while consoles struggle to do 1080p.

If you want to know the future oc console gaming play pc gaming today. Pc still has a insane backlog of games due to real BC. It has mods for most games. It has the most aaa/aa games and exclusives. It has emulators for consoles from the wii on back and the wii u emulator is up but not stable yet. It has the best price on games by far. It has the best online gaming and it's free. You can play how you want on a high quality monitor/s or on a hdtv on the sofa. You can use kbam or a gamepad or even a kinect.

Pc only does every thing why are peasants still gaming on consoles is beyond me unless your a little kid with no money. Even so tell your mommy you need a pc for school and just upgrade it as needed over time like I did back in the day.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#141  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@gpuking said:

@CroidX

Cutscene or Linear still rendered realtime and the gameplay looked the same confirmed by the devs. These two utterly destroy anything on PC right now or upcoming in sheer graphics fidelity.

Man, I don't see open world games becoming popular on console anytime soon if devs know they can profit by making eye-candy games on a linear close corridor FPS exclusive.

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 gpuking

@BldgIrsh

But there will be plenty open world games on consoles to choose from.
MGS5, TW3, DA3, ACU, Batman AK, GTA5 remastered, FC4, Dying Light, ME4, Mad Max. I probably missed a few too.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

@CroidX: how so, do they not work for or used to work for crytek?. If so, my bad but then the quoted statement is exactly in that line of thought. Target that nitch market that the original crysis did

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#144  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@scottpsfan14: yeah and they keep switching sides too.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

*Microsoft puts $20 million on the table*..........................

Chris Roberts: "Consoles most certainly can run Start Citizen"

LOL.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#148  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

With enough cuts I'm sure they could make it work, but I'm not surpised they don't want to. This is massive project and it will be expanded for years after launch, at which point trying to update version for hardware-static consoles would turn into nightmare. Plus the control system also is a lot more complex than typica sim.

Plus console versions would be a waste of resources. Resources that should be poured into pc version. With this much money it's not like they can claim they need console sales.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#149  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

*Microsoft puts $20 million on the table*..........................

Chris Roberts: "Consoles most certainly can run Start Citizen"

LOL.

Chris Roberts is propably the last person who wants to have anything to do with Microsoft. MS already screwed one of his babies.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 SYSTEM-REBOOT
Member since 2014 • 658 Posts

@gpuking said:

@BldgIrsh

But there will be plenty open world games on consoles to choose from.

MGS5, TW3, DA3, ACU, Batman AK, GTA5 remastered, FC4, Dying Light, ME4, Mad Max. I probably missed a few too.

but none of them looks even close to Star citizen graphically.