Sony's philosophy on BC is deeply concerning for PS5, exposes their short terming thinking

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@scatteh316 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@scatteh316 said:

So people idiots in here... lets explain why they can't offer BC

1. Cell is MASSIVELY difficult if not impossible to emulate on current hardware due to freaky ass design and the sheer power required to brute it is not available.

2. Even the highest end PC can't emulate PS2's Emotion Engine at full speed in hundreds of games and you think PS4's CPU can?

3. Original Xbox had a Pentium 3, easiest CPU in the world to emulate

4. 360's CPU is no where near as customer and backwards as Cell making that really easy to emulate.

Sony made decisions in terms of hardware design for previous generation consoles that makes emulation difficult or nigh on impossible with current hardware, was Emotion Engine and Cell a bad choice? I don't think so, Sony went with the hardware choices they felt was right at the time and when designing a custom chip you won't really be thinking about BC for future consoles.

1. Let's see... Persona 5, God of War 3... emulated and playable! Not impossible.

That's just free time programmers.

Each SPE has 256 KB local memory hence it needs 1:1 with Core i7's 256 KB L2 cache counterpart. Normal Core i7 SKUs only has 4 CPU cores and exceeding CPU's L2 256 KB limit, causes L3 cache fall back.

Skylake X CPU core's L2 cache has 1024 KB which is higher than Kabylake CPU core's 256 KB L2 cache.

2. What PS2 game has problems on PC's PS2 emulators? Sony already has PS2 emulator on PS4. https://gamerant.com/ps2-emulation-titles-ps4-full-list/ PS4 owners needs to pay for it's use.

3. Modern X86 code has more unpredictable code stream. SPU's unroll and static branch optimizations are predictable.

4. X360 PPE has VMX-128 i.e. 128 bit Altivec SIMD with 128 registers which is not yer normal 128 bit Altivec SIMD with 32 registers. SPE has 128 bit kitbash Altivec SIMD with 128 registers. Each SPE has 256 KB local memory to force programmers towards tiling programming.

The problem with CELL is the requirement to emulate 1 PPE + 6 SPUs while X360 only has 3 PPE.

1. You named 2 games? And they don't run perfect or flawless either..... My point still stands.

2. Loads of PS2 games are still completely broken and unplayable, mainly due to some games using EE in funky ways creating issues with the emulation, it's getting better but still not able to emulate most games to at least PS2 levels.

3. My point still stands and you have no reason at all to bring up SPU's.

4. As above.

1. Emulation wasn't in same translation quality as Apple's Rosetta with static translation cache. XBO's X360 BC has static translation cache.

They are payable and 4790K's four 256 KB L2 cache pool wasn't even 1:1 with six SPE 256 KB local memory pool.

Once I upgrade to Skylake X. I'll revisit this problem.

2. Name an example?

3. Your point doesn't stand.

4. As above.

1. Always with the techno bable for no reason....

2. As you asked maybe look on YouTube

3. Yes it does

4. As above

5. Can you please go in to the other thread and adjust your tflops to bandwidth numbers to a more accurate number.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@daniel_su123 said:
@darklight4 said:

Rather have new games.

The tech industry disagrees. If you have no ecosystem, then you're DOA.

The industry is moving away from breaks in the console.

The console industry is not concerned. BC has always been a cherry on top and of no concern to consoles.

That said. There will be very little problem running PS4 games on the PS5. AT WORST, they have to do a a bit of work on some software that helps but nothing significant. Think about the PC. It doesn't have problems playing games through many generations. If it's really old, there can be some.

The PS4 is not like the PS3 with obscure architecture. AMD would fail hard if Ryzen had problems with previous software for example. It would literally be dead on arrival, no matter how good it could be. On the PC, people want to run what they have better, not start again with something new.

And Playstation doesn't have a problem with BC. You can still play PS One games. If it's easy, they'll put the effort in. And Running PS4 games on a future console won't be hard. Not saying it'll be simple 1:1. Just saying at worst it could take a little work.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

60m PS4's out there, yeah BC really important. PS5 (if there will be) doesn't need it.

If you are a moron who sells your PS4, tough shit.

But isn't this the nature of consoles now? New iterations every few years.

Just asking your opinion. I'm definitely not into this myself. Loved last gen from beginning to end, one console. I don't mind with the PC to upgrade parts, but I loved the nature of how consoles were. Simpler, one per gen.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet:

Agreed. This is where consoles are moving towards. Iterative upgrades every 3 years make sense.

It's foolish to think that PS5 need BC, none of us know that. I won't be surprised if Sony were scrutinised for not having BC with PS4 games.

Just like they're being scrutinised by not having cross play.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

If adding BC takes away from other things Sony should focus on, then I'm totally against it. I don't care that Scorpio has limited BC. And I certainly wouldn't want them to make the PS5 more expensive just to please a select few. If you want to play your old games, keep your old system. Simple!

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@scatteh316 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@scatteh316 said:
@ronvalencia said:

1. Let's see... Persona 5, God of War 3... emulated and playable! Not impossible.

Each SPE has 256 KB local memory hence it needs 1:1 with Core i7's 256 KB L2 cache counterpart. Normal Core i7 SKUs only has 4 CPU cores and exceeding CPU's L2 256 KB limit, causes L3 cache fall back.

Skylake X CPU core's L2 cache has 1024 KB which is higher than Kabylake CPU core's 256 KB L2 cache.

2. What PS2 game has problems on PC's PS2 emulators? Sony already has PS2 emulator on PS4. https://gamerant.com/ps2-emulation-titles-ps4-full-list/ PS4 owners needs to pay for it's use.

3. Modern X86 code has more unpredictable code stream. SPU's unroll and static branch optimizations are predictable.

4. X360 PPE has VMX-128 i.e. 128 bit Altivec SIMD with 128 registers which is not yer normal 128 bit Altivec SIMD with 32 registers. SPE has 128 bit kitbash Altivec SIMD with 128 registers. Each SPE has 256 KB local memory to force programmers towards tiling programming.

The problem with CELL is the requirement to emulate 1 PPE + 6 SPUs while X360 only has 3 PPE.

1. You named 2 games? And they don't run perfect or flawless either..... My point still stands.

2. Loads of PS2 games are still completely broken and unplayable, mainly due to some games using EE in funky ways creating issues with the emulation, it's getting better but still not able to emulate most games to at least PS2 levels.

4. As above.

1. Emulation wasn't in same translation quality as Apple's Rosetta with static translation cache. XBO's X360 BC has static translation cache.

They are payable and 4790K's four 256 KB L2 cache pool wasn't even 1:1 with six SPE 256 KB local memory pool.

2. Name an example?

4. As above.

3. Yes it does

4. As above

5. Can you please go in to the other thread and adjust your tflops to bandwidth numbers to a more accurate number.

1. If you want to engage in this debate. You must know your subject matter.

It's simple, the translated binary is saved on disk for later retrieval. IBM deemed Apple's Rosetta technology creator Transitive Corporation as a threat and has purchased Transitive Corporation and shut down PPC-to-X86 translator offerings.

2. Running recent PS2 emulator builds, it's fine. Remember, the open source programmers has problems accessing NDA protected hardware docs.

3. It doesn't. Sony already has PS2 emulator on PS4 and Sony is making PS4 owners to pay for it.

4 As above.

5. My post are in-line with Sony's right most bar graph. X1X has smashed RX-580 in Arc Survival and Forza wet track.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@SinjinSmythe said:

@tormentos: hahaha! Your salt is real. GTAV just proved you have no idea what the hell is going on.

GTA5 is on xbox 360 why can't you play it on xbox one without double dipping? Hahahaha

Again you can play 300 games were most are shitty old arcade games,games from old ass platforms like Sonic games or indies.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility/available-games

Abysmal what you can play.. The PS3 on day 1 had backward compatibility with PS1 and PS2 basically the biggest backward compatibility outside PC,and non of you cared..lol

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Is a nice feature to some but is not a feature I care about. I have the original PS2 and PS3. I use the BBC once just to test it and that it. With my limited time I rather play new games than old one.

No_bo_dy_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59 No_bo_dy_83
Member since 2017 • 142 Posts

@tormentos:yes like FFXII HD, FFX HD, SOTC HD, God of War HD, TLOU remater, Gravity Rush remaster, Legend of Kay Anniversary, Uncharted remaster and MORE!

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

@tormentos: *had

Thanks for using a last gen example to support your brainlessness.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@reduc_ab_: "In all fairness, Sony is more concerned with making new games, and not just relying on old ones like some companies we know..."

How much did Sony invest in PSNow. How many so called remastered version of old games did they release?

Sony stance on BC is quite clear and lol at people who can't see that. And lol@ people who will sell their PS4 when PS5 comes out.

Keep your old systems people.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 tormentos

@SinjinSmythe said:

@tormentos: *had

Thanks for using a last gen example to support your brainlessness.

So you can't answer my question..hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You can't even play freaking Forza 3 and 4 on xbox one but hey you can play pacman double dragon and sonic from the genesis..lol

@no_bo_dy_83 said:

@tormentos:yes like FFXII HD, FFX HD, SOTC HD, God of War HD, TLOU remater, Gravity Rush remaster, Legend of Kay Anniversary, Uncharted remaster and MORE!

Yes but unlike you people i am not pretending is a MS thing alone,which you people are doing with sony,so if you slam sony for re makes remember you can't play Halo 1,2,3,4 on xbox one because MS want you to buy Halo MCC.

No_bo_dy_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By No_bo_dy_83

Yeah but the difference is that Halo MCC along the others titles are going to be BC in the future and Sony should follow and do the same already.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#64 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I'm hopeful that since the architecture of their systems moving forward will be x86 based, they will have bc with the PS5. The issue they have with the ps3 is that the cell is hard to emulate with success.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

BC would be great in the next PlayStation and I believe I read a while back that Sony is planning more of an ecosystem similar to smart phones. Thus, games released on PS4 and up would work on the following hardware iteration(s).

Frankly, I'm not worried. If the next PlayStation isn't backwards compatible, I'll just keep my PS4.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#66  Edited By freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

@daniel_su123 said:

We don't know if that will continue to be the case though???

The reason why people don't care about it at the moment is because the console industry hasn't really kept BC with other consoles.

Since Microsoft is doing for the time being, it'll no doubt down the line become an important part of keeping an ecosystem intact.

Not keeping BC with PS4 is a risky move.

To note, Microsofts X-1 BC is not 100% BC, since only a selected games can be played. Not all 360 can be played on the X-1, while the library is growing, its not going to be all. And for the original XBOX system, Microsoft had stated that the library wont be big like the 360 due to rights to the games and technical difficulties (SOURCE) Now if you are talking about the X-1X with the X-1 games, well that's because the X-1X is, first and foremost, an Xbox One that was powered up. MS has stated that any game made for the X-1X has to be playable with the OG X-1 and X-1S and there will be no games exclusive just to the X-1X (like what Nintendo did with the DSi to the DS and N3DS to the 3DS)

PS: Let me also add that the 360 wasnt also 100% BC with the OG XBOX

Another thing, Microsoft may be the one doing a semi BC currently, but Nintendo has been doing it longer and were 100% BC. While the Switch is not BC, due to using a different game media (cartridges), their 3DS is fully compatible with DS games. BC has been there for a long time, and people didn't care about it then.

Now we don't know if Sony is making a PS5 yet, they may or may not. But if they do, not having BC for PS4 games is not going to be anything concerning. It may be for a few, but as I've been repeatedly saying, the main reason people buy the next generation console is to play the next generation games, being able to play older games is just a bonus.

I'm not saying BC is useless, I truly think its a nice feature, but its not something of a deal breaker for those looking into purchasing a next gen console. If the next gen console does not have BC, they can use their older console to play those.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

I have my old consoles for old games. I don't need a new console to be BC. Unnecessary. But after reading some replies I found this for all of you....

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/backward-compatible-xbox-360-games-are-less-than-2-of-xbox-one-usage-time/

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#68  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

I'm fairly certain Sony will either include BC on the PS5 OR implement it in some way through PSNOW. Ex. If you own your PS4 games digitally, you can play them through PS NOW for free / part of PSN+.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

@tormentos: it is business. That is why Microsoft has billions and Sony is always in the bread line.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 tormentos

@no_bo_dy_83 said:

Yeah but the difference is that Halo MCC along the others titles are going to be BC in the future and Sony should follow and do the same already.

NOW why can't those be played NOW when Halo spartan and reach can be played..

Profits yeah that is the answer.

@SinjinSmythe said:

@tormentos: it is business. That is why Microsoft has billions and Sony is always in the bread line.

NO MS has billions because it has a monopoly over the PC industry with windows,if it was for the xbox brand MS would be dead and bury like sega on the hardware market.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

Wasn't the WiiU backwards compatible?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#72 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@lrdfancypants said:

Wasn't the WiiU backwards compatible?

It was/is. Switch isn't, yet it sells better than the Wiiu. What does that tell us?

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

@Ant_17:

Everything :)

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 airraidjet
Member since 2006 • 834 Posts

PS5 will use Zen or Zen2, both are x86-64 architecture, and so is Jaguar. It's not going to be much of a problem at all for PS5 to run all PS4 games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Agreed. I don't particularly care for their stance on backwards compatibility.

GordonFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 GordonFreeman
Member since 2017 • 588 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

@gordonfreeman: You do know that the PS4 is the market leader, right? Why would the 1st place company follow the lead of the 2nd/3rd place company?

It sounds bad and upsets message board gaming enthusiasts, but backwards compatability isn't widely used and is bad for business. Nintendo isn't doing it and will put what was once the virtual console behind a paywall with their premium online service. And the Xbox One has been behind Sony with and without backwards compatability. So what proof is there that the market is demanding it?

What Nintendo is doing is irrelevant, they're still running obscure hardware architectures that put them on the outsets of what is being discussed here, whereas what Sony and Microsoft are doing now is running a ubiquitous architecture which has no reason to be replaced or not used going forward.

People will not see a PlayStation 5 or an Xbox 4 as something entirely new, it will be seen as an extension of what is currently going on regardless of branding and moniker. It's 100% inexcusable for the games of today to not work on another x86 successor platform. Take the Xbox One X for example, this console architecturally is the same as the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4, however the internals share absolutely nothing with the Xbox One yet it runs all of its games not only flawlessly, it runs them better.

The Xbox One X is the model of what a next-generation system should be even though this one is still classified as a part of this generation, the design ideology must carry over, anything less is completely unacceptable.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Why bother? They know that they can just rehash, sorry remaster. and sell the same games again as launch titles for a new console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:

In all fairness, Sony is more concerned with making new games, and not just relying on old ones like some companies we know...**cough, cough, MS, cough, cough**

That is not a good thing, no matter how you spin it.

These consoles are using standard PC components now, there is no excuse for not having backwards compatibility moving forwards.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@pinkanimal said:

I always buy new consoles to play old games... Said no one ever. The only reason bc is so important for Xbox fanboys this gen is because their current gen games offering is pathetic. Thankfully, with Sony you don't have that problem.

says s*it like this... probably clueless as to why PC is so dominant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Random_Matt said:

60m PS4's out there, yeah BC really important. PS5 (if there will be) doesn't need it.

If you are a moron who sells your PS4, tough shit.

Ah yes... in the age of minimalism and ever growing limited space.... and the digital age, lets keep generations of old consoles on display like sad little collectors...

This is so dull, this is 2017 where all technology is moving towards smart/conveniant while leaving very little footprint in every aspect.

Meanwhile, Sony Morons "I still have my PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/PS5 around if I want to play those games!

absolute cancerous mindset

No_bo_dy_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By No_bo_dy_83

@tormentos said:
@no_bo_dy_83 said:

NOW why can't those be played NOW when Halo spartan and reach can be played..

Profits yeah that is the answer.

@SinjinSmythe said:

NO MS has billions because it has a monopoly over the PC industry with windows,if it was for the xbox brand MS would be dead and bury like sega on the hardware market.

No that's not the anwser because one of them has the BC while the other one don't and more games are being brought to it while the others don't so you're wrong and you're wrong about Microsoft too with your statement over windows: http://www.businessinsider.fr/us/how-google-apple-facebook-amazon-microsoft-make-money-chart-2017-5/

Microsoft isn't only about windows.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#82 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Lol PS5 won't have bc because most of the games on PS5 and the next Xbox will once again be Cross gen much like the three years now so ya

leonkennedy97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 leonkennedy97
Member since 2017 • 83 Posts

@freedom01: Part of the issue with me is how good my older games hold up. PS4 is at the level where the games will hold up well for awhile. BC is a must for me next gen.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@scatteh316 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@scatteh316 said:
@ronvalencia said:

4. As above.

2. Name an example?

4. As above.

3. Yes it does

4. As above

It's simple, the translated binary is saved on disk for later retrieval. IBM deemed Apple's Rosetta technology creator Transitive Corporation as a threat and has purchased Transitive Corporation and shut down PPC-to-X86 translator offerings.

2. Running recent PS2 emulator builds, it's fine. Remember, the open source programmers has problems accessing NDA protected hardware docs.

3. It doesn't. Sony already has PS2 emulator on PS4 and Sony is making PS4 owners to pay for it.

4 As above.

5. My post are in-line with Sony's right most bar graph. X1X has smashed RX-580 in Arc Survival and Forza wet track.

1. I do know my subject matter, I've shown in other threads that you do not.

2. Most games are fine and perform just fine but since when did most = all?

3. Limited game availability, probably not enough power there for all games as the ones that are available aren't exactly known for pushing PS2.

4. Moot

5. Sony's graph does not apply to Microsofts hardware and you're a fool for thinking it does, you've also given XBX's GPU more bandwidth then it will get so you numbers are not accurate, if you want to engage then you must know your subject matter.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@scatteh316 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@scatteh316 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@scatteh316 said:

4. As above.

2. Name an example?

4. As above.

3. Yes it does

4. As above

4 As above.

1. I do know my subject matter, I've shown in other threads that you do not.

2. Most games are fine and perform just fine but since when did most = all?

3. Limited game availability, probably not enough power there for all games as the ones that are available aren't exactly known for pushing PS2.

4. Moot

5. Sony's graph does not apply to Microsofts hardware and you're a fool for thinking it does, you've also given XBX's GPU more bandwidth then it will get so you numbers are not accurate, if you want to engage then you must know your subject matter.

1. You don't. There's a difference with best known open source PS3 emulation methods (dynamic re-compiler) vs Apple's Rosetta with static translation and dynamic re-compiler technology.

2. Again, name a problematic example.

3. Again, name a problematic example.

4. Both SPE and PPE has 128 bit SIMD and 128 registers, the main difference is the number of SIMD units to emulate e.g. 3 vs 6 + 1 from PS3 PPE.

5. My views matches with MS's first party source claim.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-the-scorpio-engine-in-depth

"For 4K assets, textures get larger and render targets get larger as well. This means a couple of things - you need more space, you need more bandwidth," explains Nick Baker. "The question though was how much? We'd hate to build this GPU and then end up having to be memory-starved. All the analysis that Andrew was talking about, we were able to look at the effect of different memory bandwidths, and it quickly led us to needing more than 300GB/s memory bandwidth. In the end we ended up choosing 326GB/s. On Scorpio we are using a 384-bit GDDR5 interface - that is 12 channels. Each channel is 32 bits, and then 6.8GHz on the signalling so you multiply those up and you get the 326GB/s."

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

@CanYouDiglt said:
@darklight4 said:

@CanYouDiglt: How the **** did you extrapolate that nonsense from what I said. I don't invest in new consoles to play old games, if they are available I'll probably play them but it is not a major selling point for me. I'm not white knighting Sony can't say the same for you lot though hey demand some 1st party exclusives and maybe Xbox might interest me again 360 was good.

See that is what I was saying, Sony fans have some weird mental disorder. Their hate for MS is so strong they actually believe their own lies. MS just showed games a few days ago and you are saying there is none. There has been plenty of games over the years and even some shown a couple days ago . It is so bizarre with facts right in their face and they just do not see it.

Look I could understand if these type of Sony fans just said the type of games do not interest them but it is bizarre how they actually believe there are no games.

I'm not saying MS have no games but I would like them to put more effort into their 1st party games. That NFL deal they made could have funded an exclusive or two. My biggest issue with MS is too much reliance on 3rd party games and not enough investment in themselves.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

@darklight4 said:
@CanYouDiglt said:
@darklight4 said:

@CanYouDiglt: How the **** did you extrapolate that nonsense from what I said. I don't invest in new consoles to play old games, if they are available I'll probably play them but it is not a major selling point for me. I'm not white knighting Sony can't say the same for you lot though hey demand some 1st party exclusives and maybe Xbox might interest me again 360 was good.

See that is what I was saying, Sony fans have some weird mental disorder. Their hate for MS is so strong they actually believe their own lies. MS just showed games a few days ago and you are saying there is none. There has been plenty of games over the years and even some shown a couple days ago . It is so bizarre with facts right in their face and they just do not see it.

Look I could understand if these type of Sony fans just said the type of games do not interest them but it is bizarre how they actually believe there are no games.

I'm not saying MS have no games but I would like them to put more effort into their 1st party games. That NFL deal they made could have funded an exclusive or two. My biggest issue with MS is too much reliance on 3rd party games and not enough investment in themselves.

TBH I see no reason why they need to invest themselves. If the 36 million Xbox One consoles sold is true then maybe they'll become the Valve of the console industry.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

@daniel_su123 said:
@darklight4 said:
@CanYouDiglt said:
@darklight4 said:

TBH I see no reason why they need to invest themselves. If the 36 million Xbox One consoles sold is true then maybe they'll become the Valve of the console industry.

Well exclusives are enticing, if your system has games that aren't available elsewhere it'll draw people in. 360 got me into games I still like today Fable, Tropico, Mass effect and more. MS should invest in new studios so you get more games. 36 million nice number but think why is ps4 double that it aint magic and wishful thinking, Sony has a lot of studios all working on games with a serving of multiplats and a side order of indies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0457a4d6084
deactivated-5b0457a4d6084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-5b0457a4d6084
Member since 2004 • 1319 Posts

@reduc_ab_: Perfectly said spot on. ?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

"rather have new games."

Because you can't be BC AND make new games at the same time, right?

Just an excuse. BC is always preferred. I adored my fat PS3 that had a ps1, ps2, and ps3 in it. No wonder it was so damn fat.

I love that my Wii U plays Wii games and that gamey Wii plays gamecube games. Saves space on my tv stand when I want to play some classic games again without having to plug in an old system.

And yes, the BC on my brand new xbox one S is pretty damn cool. Meanwhile..shocking enough..it also plays new games. Crazy. How do they do it?

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

I never play old games.

Have heaps of BC games on my Xboner that I always plan to get around to playing, but the truth is I never do.

Doesn't bother me if PS5 has no BC, I won't be buying it to play old games.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: "Because you can't be BC AND make new games at the same time, right?"

With MS it's apparently either or lol

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Bread_or_Decide

@pinkanimal said:

@Bread_or_Decide: "Because you can't be BC AND make new games at the same time, right?"

Did I imagine gears of war 4 coming out? Just because you don't like the games doesn't mean the games cease to exist.

And as for 2017, I think the scalebound cancellation gave them a big hit for the year. There will be crackdown 3 and forza this fall. Keep in mind Sony blew their load early this year so this fall it's all multiplats for them.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

If sony brought in BC for ps5, everyone here who is against it would be changing their tunes. Like Sony making it mandatory to charge a yearly fee just to play online games.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I don't know.. I think when I buy a new system I will like to have new games instead of old ones.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

@ni6htmare01 said:

I don't know.. I think when I buy a new system I will like to have new games instead of old ones.

I do know, offering more gaming options and for free is a no brainer, eh, I suppose that's not true for SW, we hate more options, well, when they're not on our system of choice that is. lol. :P

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts
@quadknight said:

A lem concern trolling the PS5? ? Why don't you worry about your gameless Xbone and let cows worry about the PS5. I'm pretty certain PS5 will offer BC since it will use the same x86 architecture as the PS4. Primary reason PS4 doesn't do this with PS3 is because CELL emulation is damn near impossible. They won't have that excuse once the PS5 rolls around.

Primary reason MS seems to care so about BC is because they are behind in sales and games and desperately need the 360's library to prop up the Xbone. Sony doesn't have that problem and frankly most PS4 owners don't care about going back to play PS3 games so Sony can get away with this.

That's because the Xbox One does have games, maybe you should check. In fact I have more games pre-ordered for my Xbox One than my PS4.

I know several people that purchased a first run PS3 just so they could play PS1 and PS2 games! I even traded my PS3 for a newer one just so my friend could have BC. Seems some people want BC on there playstation.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@pinkanimal said:

Did I imagine gears of war 4 coming out? Just because you don't like the games doesn't mean the games cease to exist.

And as for 2017, I think the scalebound cancellation gave them a big hit for the year. There will be crackdown 3 and forza this fall. Keep in mind Sony blew their load early this year so this fall it's all multiplats for them.

Sure the halogearsforza tripplet is still there but not much else and quality-wise most of MS exclusives leave much to be desired next to the competition. Have you really seen Crackdown? looks like a 360 game visually and gameplay-wise. The PS4 has 10+ more exclusives over the Xbox this month alone. Granted mostly indie exclusives but exclusives nonetheless, the Xbox is not even getting many indie exclusives, they have 2 this month in comparison to the 10+ the PS4 is getting and that is so each month. So no, the PS4 has plenty over the the X1 still for the rest of the year, they already had their biggest announcement this year but there's much more still and probably better quality than the X1 lineup if things continue as they are.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Bread_or_Decide

@pinkanimal said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@pinkanimal said:

Sure the halogearsforza tripplet is still there but not much else and quality-wise most of MS exclusives leave much to be desired next to the competition. Have you really seen Crackdown? looks like a 360 game visually and gameplay-wise. The PS4 has 10+ more exclusives over the Xbox this month alone. Granted mostly indie exclusives but exclusives nonetheless, the Xbox is not even getting many indie exclusives, they have 2 this month in comparison to the 10+ the PS4 is getting and that is so each month. So no, the PS4 has plenty over the the X1 still for the rest of the year, they already had their biggest announcement this year but there's much more still and probably better quality than the X1 lineup if things continue as they are.

ah come, the buildings and the city look far better than on the xbox 360.

I'm not arguing that the xbox isn't have a bad year. Hopefully things will pick up for them in 2018. Nintendo suffered with the Wii U and then came back on the Switch. It's always a good thing when all three are doing well. Don't forget it took the ps4 four years to get to this amazing 2017 that they had. Before that it was one exclusive a year and just multiplats.