Sony says Home 'not a social network' ... didn't they say it WAS?

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for XenogearsMaster
XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 XenogearsMaster
Member since 2007 • 3175 Posts
[QUOTE="XenogearsMaster"]

I don't quite understand the post... Did something happened to Home? Something big? Or something completely irrelevent and has no importance?

Stonin

Sort of, but in reality it's just Sony backpedalling on promises they made when Home was announced. Essentially they had the vision but lacked the skills to pull it off :(.

So what happened?

sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts
[QUOTE="sargentbotk"]

Fart_Storm, trying to be an internet bully due to being bullied in real life is not a good sign for yourself. It pretty much shows everyone how sad you are...

On-Topic: So...what exactly is home?

Fart_Storm

I'm not an internet bully. I'm just sick of Lemmings bashing the PS3. I have had enough. And someone has to defend Sony. You guys are quick to forget the good times that Sony brought you in the PS1 and PS2 era. I don't forget.

Also, AAAA esclusive, anyone? 360 don't got one. LOL.

You're not trying to be an internet bully?

1) You pull a really sad attempt at lemmings talking about how you got in a fight with 3 lemmings at school because of their opinion about a system...That story is so crap.(This was in that thread about which fan/protector are you, etc..)

2) You tell a poster here if he stated his opinion infront of your face you'd do something to him...for all we know you're probably just a 10 year old and would plummet if you fought him, but anyways...

3) I'd prefer a alot of AA's+ AAA's instead of a small amount of AA's and one AAAA.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Stonin
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

[QUOTE="NielsNL"]I don't really care how Sony refers to it. What I do care about is the final product, whether I like that or don't. This thread is just attacking Sony because you're a fanboy of another system and because you can. ZIMdoom

Plus it sounds to me like Home itself hasn't changes one bit since they've first shown it. Neither the idea nor the execution has changes. THe only thing that has changes is how they refer to it.

Seems pretty irrelevant to me and a weak excuse to bash Sony. Maybe if the end product suddenly no longer delivers what they claimed...then there would be something to bash. But really, right now, lemmings are just bashing adjective choice.

It is called managing expectations. At first it was going to be all singing, all dancing feature full social networking/gaming hub. Now they are 'managing expectations' by saying it isn't a social site, it's not about bringing the community together but its all about games.

Reading between the lines and knowing they have had to delay once, this reall means: We promised too much, we now can't deliver and so we will PR spin it so you think we were never giving these things in the first place.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Stonin

[QUOTE="Fart_Storm

the PS3 will lose to the 360. It's already on pace to sell exactly what Sony predicted- 150 million. Seriously, how can the 360 possible beat the PS3? It's not possible. The PS3 should pass the 360 this year, especially once the power of the Cell is unlocked and we see true photorealism like GT5.

BTW anyone looking for the key that unlocks the Cell should give me a call. I found it stuck to the bottom of my shoe just the other day.

gtawoof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 gtawoof
Member since 2003 • 1843 Posts

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Calling it a social networking thing would open a whole new can of worms. It makes sense to distance themselves from it.SecretPolice

You see that they have did a 180 on that right ?

Just not good business form if you ask me.

I guess you're more qualified then Sony exec's, apply for a job and see what happens.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
[QUOTE="ZIMdoom"][QUOTE="NielsNL"]I don't really care how Sony refers to it. What I do care about is the final product, whether I like that or don't. This thread is just attacking Sony because you're a fanboy of another system and because you can. Stonin
Plus it sounds to me like Home itself hasn't changes one bit since they've first shown it. Neither the idea nor the execution has changes. THe only thing that has changes is how they refer to it. Seems pretty irrelevant to me and a weak excuse to bash Sony. Maybe if the end product suddenly no longer delivers what they claimed...then there would be something to bash. But really, right now, lemmings are just bashing adjective choice.

It is called managing expectations. At first it was going to be all singing, all dancing feature full social networking/gaming hub. Now they are 'managing expectations' by saying it isn't a social site, it's not about bringing the community together but its all about games. Reading between the lines and knowing they have had to delay once, this reall means: We promised too much, we now can't deliver and so we will PR spin it so you think we were never giving these things in the first place.

But Sony has been criticized by many journalists and gamers for not being "about the games" this gen. Maybe Sony is trying to fix that image and so they switch the PR up a little bit. It just depends on how you want to look at the situation and Sony. Either one is plausible and a lot of truths can be hidden between the lines. We need more information.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#57 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

Yeah, a multi-billion dollar company needs saving from forum users....

And you really, really don't want to debate game lineup PS3 vs 360. I love my PS3, but it will lose, and badly, between those two on this site.

NielsNL

It surprises me that you think the PS3 will lose to the 360.

Right now, using SW methods going over game library? Why would I not think that the 360 would win?

I am not talking about the future, and I am not talking about sales. Talking strictly about the present and games, using GS as the meter stick.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#58 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

LOL at him thinking that the PS3 will lose to the 360. It's already on pace to sell exactly what Sony predicted- 150 million. Seriously, how can the 360 possible beat the PS3? It's not possible. The PS3 should pass the 360 this year, especially once the power of the Cell is unlocked and we see true photorealism like GT5.

Fart_Storm

LOL at two people not reading what I wrote, and instead reading what they wanted to.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Stonin

[QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="ZIMdoom"][QUOTE="NielsNL"]I don't really care how Sony refers to it. What I do care about is the final product, whether I like that or don't. This thread is just attacking Sony because you're a fanboy of another system and because you can. Ibacai
Plus it sounds to me like Home itself hasn't changes one bit since they've first shown it. Neither the idea nor the execution has changes. THe only thing that has changes is how they refer to it. Seems pretty irrelevant to me and a weak excuse to bash Sony. Maybe if the end product suddenly no longer delivers what they claimed...then there would be something to bash. But really, right now, lemmings are just bashing adjective choice.

It is called managing expectations. At first it was going to be all singing, all dancing feature full social networking/gaming hub. Now they are 'managing expectations' by saying it isn't a social site, it's not about bringing the community together but its all about games. Reading between the lines and knowing they have had to delay once, this reall means: We promised too much, we now can't deliver and so we will PR spin it so you think we were never giving these things in the first place.

But Sony has been criticized by many journalists and gamers for not being "about the games" this gen. Maybe Sony is trying to fix that image and so they switch the PR up a little bit. It just depends on how you want to look at the situation and Sony. Either one is plausible and a lot of thruths can be hidden between the lines. We need more information.

I agree we do need more info but this does smell fishy to me. Delays and then spin, this has been Sony from the start of the gen.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#60 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
I see where they are coming from since forums across the interwebs are like "lulz i don't want second life" but it is a social network thing even if it's game oriented.
6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts

[QUOTE="NielsNL"]I don't really care how Sony refers to it. What I do care about is the final product, whether I like that or don't. This thread is just attacking Sony because you're a fanboy of another system and because you can. Fart_Storm

Seriously. I am so sick of delusional lemming fanboys, trying to plot the demise of the PS3. It's a good thing they don't say these things to my face, because I would explode on them. I will LOL when the PS3 sells 150 million (like the announced recently they would)

You would explode in someones face over a console war? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :lol:

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Calling it a social networking thing would open a whole new can of worms. It makes sense to distance themselves from it.shadyd1717

I guess you're more qualified then Sony exec's, apply for a job and see what happens.

You wouldn't want that as the first Sony employee I would send packing would be You ! :lol:
tupapi006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 tupapi006
Member since 2003 • 2980 Posts

LOL at him thinking that the PS3 will lose to the 360. It's already on pace to sell exactly what Sony predicted- 150 million. Seriously, how can the 360 possible beat the PS3? It's not possible. The PS3 should pass the 360 this year, especially once the power of the Cell is unlocked and we see true photorealism like GT5. PS3_FartFanboy

OMG :lol: LOL

Just like the Ps2 Hiden Power That never was unlocked :lol:

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Calling it a social networking thing would open a whole new can of worms. It makes sense to distance themselves from it.shadyd1717

A few Sony exect quotes from the past.

"work more hours to buy one"

It's probably too cheap."

"I'll give you $1,200 bucks for it."

"rumble is last generation."

"I don't think we are arrogant."

"backwards compatibility is a core value of what we believe we should offer."

"supercomputer"

I don't see him screwing things up anymore than the actual exects so maybe he should fax a resume in asap.

Fart_Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Fart_Storm
Member since 2008 • 519 Posts
[QUOTE="Fart_Storm"]

[QUOTE="NielsNL"]I don't really care how Sony refers to it. What I do care about is the final product, whether I like that or don't. This thread is just attacking Sony because you're a fanboy of another system and because you can. 6matt6

Seriously. I am so sick of delusional lemming fanboys, trying to plot the demise of the PS3. It's a good thing they don't say these things to my face, because I would explode on them. I will LOL when the PS3 sells 150 million (like the announced recently they would)

You would explode in someones face over a console war? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :lol:

Yes. Care to try me?

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts
[QUOTE="6matt6"][QUOTE="Fart_Storm"]

[QUOTE="NielsNL"]I don't really care how Sony refers to it. What I do care about is the final product, whether I like that or don't. This thread is just attacking Sony because you're a fanboy of another system and because you can. Fart_Storm

Yes. Care to try me?

Ok. How do you suppose I do that?

Nevermind. I spot a troll.

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
Well since home isnt going to be coming out until 2015 and by then social networks will be dead I guess they an say it's not a social network.
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

Wait, so nothing has changed with Home.....people are still going to use it as Sony has shown......they would just rather not pitch it as a social network. Ok, so what's the problem exactly? It's still going to be exactly what we've been seeing for the past year. The only difference is Sony wants to pitch it as a way to get groups to get together to play games.......I'm almost 100% postive it will be used for social aspects more than anything else though. As long as the core mechanics haven't changed, why should anyone care what Sony thinks people should use home for?

tupapi006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 tupapi006
Member since 2003 • 2980 Posts
[QUOTE="Fart_Storm"]

[QUOTE="NielsNL"]I don't really care how Sony refers to it. What I do care about is the final product, whether I like that or don't. This thread is just attacking Sony because you're a fanboy of another system and because you can. 6matt6

Yeahhh :lol: someone Need To get a life :lol:

gamefreakomega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 gamefreakomega
Member since 2003 • 3732 Posts

Wait, so nothing has changed with Home.....people are still going to use it as Sony has shown......they would just rather not pitch it as a social network. Ok, so what's the problem exactly? It's still going to be exactly what we've been seeing for the past year. The only difference is Sony wants to pitch it as a way to get groups to get together to play games.......I'm almost 100% postive it will be used for social aspects more than anything else though. As long as the core mechanics haven't changed, why should anyone care what Sony thinks people should use home for?

darthogre

Yeah, they've changed nothing about the content, only what they've decided to call it.

I don't see it changing the opinions of people who had heard of Home previously.

sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts
[QUOTE="6matt6"][QUOTE="Fart_Storm"]

Yes. Care to try me?

Bad, Bad Fakeboy. Shoo.

PS_John Wannabe...

Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts
Since Phil Harrison left, all they have been doing is destroying his vision.
tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 tmntPunchout
Member since 2007 • 3770 Posts
I really don't know how successful home is going to be in general. I'm sure a lot of people who own a PS3 only turn it on to play a game or to watch a bluray. Unless Home is as enjoyable or more enjoyable than playing my games, to me it'll probably be just okay.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Riverwolf007
Since Phil Harrison left, all they have been doing is destroying his vision.Krigon
Left??? Harrison was fired over his comments about Sony of Japan. Google "Harrison pissed off" for details and then realize he lost his job less than 24 hours after he made the comments you will see in the Google search.
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts

[QUOTE="Krigon"]Since Phil Harrison left, all they have been doing is destroying his vision.Riverwolf007
Left??? Harrison was fired over his comments about Sony of Japan. Google "Harrison pissed off" for details and then realize he lost his job less than 24 hours after he made the comments you will see in the Google search.

You can make assumptions how much you want. The fact we have been given, is that he left.

I believe he said those comments because he knew that he was leaving the week after.

Sony should put a gag order on all their Sony employees that don't make the games.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"][QUOTE="Krigon"]Since Phil Harrison left, all they have been doing is destroying his vision.Krigon

You can make assumptions how much you want. The fact we have been given, is that he left.

I believe he said those comments because he knew that he was leaving the week after.

Sony should put a gag order on all their Sony employees that don't make the games.

Except the part about how it was not a week it was the next day after he made the GDC comments. What you call an assumption I call getting smacked over the head with the obvious.
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#77 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

it can still be a social network that is focused on games....

and how would that be a bad thing?

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts
[QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

[QUOTE="NielsNL"]I don't really care how Sony refers to it. What I do care about is the final product, whether I like that or don't. This thread is just attacking Sony because you're a fanboy of another system and because you can. Stonin

Plus it sounds to me like Home itself hasn't changes one bit since they've first shown it. Neither the idea nor the execution has changes. THe only thing that has changes is how they refer to it.

Seems pretty irrelevant to me and a weak excuse to bash Sony. Maybe if the end product suddenly no longer delivers what they claimed...then there would be something to bash. But really, right now, lemmings are just bashing adjective choice.

It is called managing expectations. At first it was going to be all singing, all dancing feature full social networking/gaming hub. Now they are 'managing expectations' by saying it isn't a social site, it's not about bringing the community together but its all about games.

Reading between the lines and knowing they have had to delay once, this reall means: We promised too much, we now can't deliver and so we will PR spin it so you think we were never giving these things in the first place.

Well, considering the Sony hating fanboys and lemmings on the net have a bad habit of taking every tiny thing SOny does, and blowing it up into something it isn't...I hope you will excuse me if I laugh at your "managing expectations" excuse. Because it seems to me, the only people who are complaining about not meeting expectations, are the lemmings who hate Sony anyway.

But I am honestly interested. Where is there any link, story, news or other data that shows Home isn't going to be what Sony promised? What features have been removed? What can Home no longer do that it was once promised? Can I now longer show my trophies? Can I no longer meet with people in other game lobbies and discuss strategy? If I can still meet and talk with people using an avatar, how is this any different from what Sony originally promised...whether they want to call it "social networking" or not?

Seriously, other than changing how they describe Home, what is different? Nothing. Home is exactly the same product they showed years ago. They only thing different is what they are referring to it as. Big Deal.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#79 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

What are you talking about? I bet you wouldn't say that to my face. Post your address, internet tough guy. I will fly to wherever you are to settle this once and for all.

Fart_Storm

E-Thug

jbisco25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#80 jbisco25
Member since 2004 • 976 Posts
[QUOTE="Fart_Storm"]

What are you talking about? I bet you wouldn't say that to my face. Post your address, internet tough guy. I will fly to wherever you are to settle this once and for all.

The_Game21x

E-Thug

LOL yeah i like that alot :lol: :lol: :lol:

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts

LMAO @ fartstorm. no you're not funny. bye.

plus i wonder what will happen when home lags... it could look naughty

Fart_Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Fart_Storm
Member since 2008 • 519 Posts
[QUOTE="Fart_Storm"][QUOTE="6matt6"][QUOTE="Fart_Storm"]

Yes. Care to try me?

Post your address. I am on delta.com right now, I can book a flight. We can sort this out face to face.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts
I could be wrong, but to me it looks like they had to scale back some of Home's features in order to get the project out the door.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#84 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts
[QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

[QUOTE="NielsNL"]I don't really care how Sony refers to it. What I do care about is the final product, whether I like that or don't. This thread is just attacking Sony because you're a fanboy of another system and because you can. ZIMdoom

Well, considering the Sony hating fanboys and lemmings on the net have a bad habit of taking every tiny thing SOny does, and blowing it up into something it isn't...I hope you will excuse me if I laugh at your "managing expectations" excuse. Because it seems to me, the only people who are complaining about not meeting expectations, are the lemmings who hate Sony anyway.

But I am honestly interested. Where is there any link, story, news or other data that shows Home isn't going to be what Sony promised? What features have been removed? What can Home no longer do that it was once promised? Can I now longer show my trophies? Can I no longer meet with people in other game lobbies and discuss strategy? If I can still meet and talk with people using an avatar, how is this any different from what Sony originally promised...whether they want to call it "social networking" or not?

Seriously, other than changing how they describe Home, what is different? Nothing. Home is exactly the same product they showed years ago. They only thing different is what they are referring to it as. Big Deal.

How can you say exactly what Home is when they haven't even released a final feature set? All we've seen are bullet ponited lists of pie-in-the-sky features. Since it's not a final product, they're totally free to add and/or subract from those features.

How they refer to a thing can greatly influence how it's marketed to investors/advertisers as well as it's core functionality.

Do we know for sure what this means? Of course not. That said, you can't claim to know either. All we know is that they said one thing before, now they say something very different. This could have repurcussions on how Home operates. We'll have to wait and see.

feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

Easy there PS3 fanboy. :) You're just showing why people like you can't have a realy conversation about consoles. You call people 'lemmings' when you're obviously a big one yourself. Kind of hypocritical don't you think?

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"][QUOTE="sam280992"]

TC, can you just tell me how does this affect you in anyway? I doubt you own a PS3... So why get all worked up over it.

Fart_Storm

I never felt or appeared " worked up " I just posted the story and added IMO appropriate opinion.

Maybe it got you all worked up eh.

LOL. I'll bet you don't even own a PS3. You will never get to play Home. LOL. And I bet you wouldn't talk this kind of junk to my face- I would hurt someone who did that.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

For daring to post the news contained within the O.P. I've made some here angry.

Let me now make you happy and prove - I'll report, you decide. :)

New news on the subject that I already posted in the Home bashing thread.

Home beta opens in Japan, features Namco space on 07.31.2008
Home beta opens in Japan, features Namco space with playable ****cs screenshot

It looks like Sony may finally be ramping up towards the actual release of the much-delayed PlayStation Home. The Sixth Axis is reporting that a public beta of Home is open ... in Japan.

By downloading a Home-related theme from the Japanese PlayStation store (before August 11), select PS3 owners will be allowed access to the long-awaited Home beta. Images over at The Sixth Axis show a playable Echochrome arcade machine, as well as a Namco game space that has playable versions of ****cs like Pac-Man, Galaga and more, completely with what looks like leaderboards.

No word on when (or if) North America or Europe will be allowed into a similar program. For those who are impatient, it might be worth trying to make your own Japanese PSN account.

ps3weee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 ps3weee
Member since 2006 • 1165 Posts
[QUOTE="6matt6"][QUOTE="Fart_Storm"][QUOTE="6matt6"][QUOTE="Fart_Storm"]

Yes. Care to try me?

Post your address. I am on delta.com right now, I can book a flight. We can sort this out face to face.

Just STFU you piece of crap. You cant hurt **** , talkin like you bad. The most redicilous **** thing is you would fight over a console.

L1qu1dSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#88 L1qu1dSword
Member since 2006 • 2835 Posts

I don't care what they call it. It will be yet another AAAA exclusive for the PS3, that will be cause the downfall of the RRODBOX360 and Wii even more. I'll take it, even if they call it birthday cake. :D I can't wait to invite all my friends to my "house" and watch some movies together! While playing the following games:

- motorstorm

- MGS4

- Heavenly Sword

- FF13

- GT1-5

- MGS2 Sons of the Patriots

- Haze

- COD4

- ICO

- FF7

- Uncharted

- Lair

Fart_Storm

LMFAO!!!!! I know this guy is full of fakeboy but he's still hilarious.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#89 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I wish they had just built a simple, powerful version of the PS2 and called it a day. All this bull**** just isn't helping.
sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts
[QUOTE="6matt6"][QUOTE="Fart_Storm"][QUOTE="6matt6"][QUOTE="Fart_Storm"]

Yes. Care to try me?

Dude, put your mom's credit card back in her purse and go back to playing with your Legos before your dad finds you on his computer.