Sony says Home 'not a social network' ... didn't they say it WAS?

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 35388 Posts

Believe it or not:lol:

Man, does Sony even have a clue the damage they do to their reputation or at least whats left of it.

The story.

Sony says Home 'not a social network' ...  didn't they say it WAS? screenshot

SCEE's Darren Cairns and Liam Wickham have spokenat the Develop conference, making strides to distance Sony's Homeproduct from social networks. The PlayStation creator's official stance seems to be that Home is all about the games, and not about the socializing.

"Home is not a social network - it's focused on games," stated the two men. "It's a visual representation of the PlayStation community."

That's an interesting suggestion, not least because up until now, Sony has done nothing but talk about Home as a social network. When Phil Harrison was still with the company, he referred to Home as a "3D social networking service." Harrison stated that Home was "not just about Sony products and Sony games," but was "a much wider network of connected spaces." Sony has also gone on record as stating that they will be "implementing a fully featured social networking experience within Home."

See, this is the problem with Sony. It can't get its stories straight. Sony already knows what a lack of focus and official definition did for the PlayStation 3 in its first year, and Homeisn't even out of the gate before we're having conflicting definitions of what the product can is. Sony needs to keep its facts straight, because customers and developers alike will be confused as to what it is Sony actually offers, and that's not a good scenario.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Calling it a social networking thing would open a whole new can of worms. It makes sense to distance themselves from it.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice

Calling it a social networking thing would open a whole new can of worms. It makes sense to distance themselves from it.SpruceCaboose
You see that they have did a 180 on that right ?

Just not good business form if you ask me.

ps3weee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ps3weee
Member since 2006 • 1165 Posts

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Calling it a social networking thing would open a whole new can of worms. It makes sense to distance themselves from it.SecretPolice

Sony is crap , they **** up.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

I remember when H. Stringer said it was going to be "just like Myspace" (actual quote). They spew so much crap then change the crap to all new crap over the 25 to 45 months it's takes anything to actually get released that who knows what they said it was or was not or was like or was going to be.

The point is they believe marketing buzz words and hype can pull the wool over the fans eyes and they are 100% right about that so why not make any claim when nobody will hold them accountable for it anyway?

theycallmeryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 theycallmeryan
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
Sony says a lot of things.
ps3weee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ps3weee
Member since 2006 • 1165 Posts

I remember when H. Stringer said it was going to be like Myspace. They spew so much crap then change the crap to all new crap over the 25 to 45 months it's takes anything to actually get released that who knows what they said it was or was not or was like or was going to be.

The point is they believe marketing buzz words and hype can pull the wool over the fans eyes and they are 100% right about that so why not make any claim when nobody will hold them accountable for it anyway?

Riverwolf007

its funny how sony fanboys needs so little to hype something up like it will be the best thing ever in gaming. Sony knows this and they use it to their advantage. Just look at MAG ( Massive action game, Haha ) al they did was they said it would be 256 players online and ps3 fanboys went crazy, SOny knew this was all it took , an announcmenat , they get away so cheap. They talk the talk but cant walk the walk , they are lucky Kojima saved their as.

Fart_Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fart_Storm
Member since 2008 • 519 Posts

I don't care what they call it. It will be yet another AAAA exclusive for the PS3, that will be cause the downfall of the RRODBOX360 and Wii even more. I'll take it, even if they call it birthday cake. :D I can't wait to invite all my friends to my "house" and watch some movies together! While playing the following games:

- motorstorm

- MGS4

- Heavenly Sword

- FF13

- GT1-5

- MGS2 Sons of the Patriots

- Haze

- COD4

- ICO

- FF7

- Uncharted

- Lair

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NielsNL
Member since 2005 • 4346 Posts
I don't really care how Sony refers to it. What I do care about is the final product, whether I like that or don't. This thread is just attacking Sony because you're a fanboy of another system and because you can.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

From an end-user's perspective, it really doesn't matter. It's free and it's optional. But from a potential advertiser's perspective, Sony's lack of focus would make me think twice about building a Home space for my company/product.

How Sony positions Home will determine the type of users that are likely to use it. The type of users in Home will drive what/how/to what extent companies will advertise there, or if they would advertise there at all.

So yeah, Sony had better get their act together. And I don't think this will be easy for them.

thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
im not sure home is such a good idea, it just seems to brink criticsm their way and divert reorces to waht is basicall a second life rippoff. well i guess ripping things of is par for the corse for sony but seriously, whos experince is this going to enhance??
Fart_Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fart_Storm

I don't really care how Sony refers to it. What I do care about is the final product, whether I like that or don't. This thread is just attacking Sony because you're a fanboy of another system and because you can. NielsNL

Seriously. I am so sick of delusional lemming fanboys, trying to plot the demise of the PS3. It's a good thing they don't say these things to my face, because I would explode on them. I will LOL when the PS3 sells 150 million (like the announced recently they would)

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Riverwolf007
[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

I remember when H. Stringer said it was going to be like Myspace. They spew so much crap then change the crap to all new crap over the 25 to 45 months it's takes anything to actually get released that who knows what they said it was or was not or was like or was going to be.

ps3weee

its funny how sony fanboys needs so little to hype something up like it will be the best thing ever in gaming. Sony knows this and they use it to their advantage. Just look at MAG ( Massive action game, Haha ) al they did was they said it would be 256 players online and ps3 fanboys went crazy, SOny knew this was all it took , an announcmenat , they get away so cheap. They talk the talk but cant walk the walk , they are lucky Kojima saved their as.

It kind of bugs me that it works so well, drop a CGI trailer of KZ2 at E3 2005 and here it is 3 years later and we still see 5 to 15 threads per day on how KZ2 is Halo killer #246 and going to end the MS shooter domination.

People are just gullible and Sony used it to their advantage every chance they get.

I guess I don't blame them since they run the whole company on that Sun Tzu hey look over there while I kick you in the gonads and run away philosophy but for those of us that see through that kind of stuff it's frustrating to see people get played like fools.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Riverwolf007

I don't care what they call it. It will be yet another AAAA exclusive for the PS3, that will be cause the downfall of the RRODBOX360 and Wii even more. I'll take it, even if they call it birthday cake. :D I can't wait to invite all my friends to my "house" and watch some movies together! While playing the following games:

- motorstorm

- MGS4

- Heavenly Sword

- FF13

- GT1-5

- Haze

- COD4

- ICO

- FF7

- Uncharted

- Lair

Fart_Storm
Egad!!! Zip up son your fakeboy is hanging out!!!
sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts

TC, can you just tell me how does this affect you in anyway? I doubt you own a PS3... So why get all worked up over it.

Fart_Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fart_Storm
[QUOTE="Fart_Storm"]

- motorstorm

- MGS4

- Heavenly Sword

- FF13

- GT1-5

- Haze

- COD4

- ICO

- FF7

- Uncharted

- Lair

Riverwolf007

Egad!!! Zip up son your fakeboy is hanging out!!!

If you saw my PS3 library, you would see every game I listed except MGS4 and GT5 (I plan on getting MGS4 soon). And yes, I have both Haze and Lair, and despite the complete BS scores they received at LemmingSpot, they are both AAA material to me.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Stonin
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

Hate to say it but I predicted this at the start. Sony has never been great at software and this was an ambitious project. It has been delayed and is now being cut back to allow them to get it out in some reasonable timeframe.

Making it optional is also a bad move. You must create something that, in it's basic form, is useable by everyone AND prefferable to the current system and then make parts of it optional or don't bother at all. All this will do is split communities between those that use Home and those that don't ... and then they have to develop for two user interfaces instead of one. Sony *sigh*.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
im not sure home is such a good idea, it just seems to brink criticsm their way and divert reorces to waht is basicall a second life rippoff. well i guess ripping things of is par for the corse for sony but seriously, whos experince is this going to enhance??thegoldenpoo
People who want second life but are deprived of access to computers and yet somehow has access to both online and a PS3
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SecretPolice

TC, can you just tell me how does this affect you in anyway? I doubt you own a PS3... So why get all worked up over it.

sam280992

I never felt or appeared " worked up " I just posted the story and added IMO appropriate opinion.

Maybe it got you all worked up eh.

Fart_Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fart_Storm
[QUOTE="sam280992"]

SecretPolice

I never felt or appeared " worked up " I just posted the story and added IMO appropriate opinion.

LOL. I'll bet you don't even own a PS3. You will never get to play Home. LOL. And I bet you wouldn't talk this kind of junk to my face- I would hurt someone who did that.

bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bigLLL
Member since 2005 • 3688 Posts
why is this even a big deal? bloody system wars
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thrones
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"][QUOTE="sam280992"]

Fart_Storm

LOL. I'll bet you don't even own a PS3. You will never get to play Home. LOL. And I bet you wouldn't talk this kind of junk to my face- I would hurt someone who did that.

Bad PS_John wannabe.
sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts
[QUOTE="sam280992"]

SecretPolice

"Believe it or not

Man, does Sony even have a clue the damage they do to their reputation or at least whats left of it.

The story.

SCEE's Darren Cairns and Liam Wickham have spokenat the Develop conference, making strides to distance Sony's Homeproduct from social networks. The PlayStation creator's official stance seems to be that Home is all about the games, and not about the socializing.

"Home is not a social network - it's focused on games," stated the two men. "It's a visual representation of the PlayStation community."

That's an interesting suggestion, not least because up until now, Sony has done nothing but talk about Home as a social network. When Phil Harrison was still with the company, he referred to Home as a "3D social networking service." Harrison stated that Home was "not just about Sony products and Sony games," but was "a much wider network of connected spaces." Sony has also gone on record as stating that they will be "implementing a fully featured social networking experience within Home."

See, this is the problem with Sony. It can't get its stories straight. Sony already knows what a lack of focus and official definition did for the PlayStation 3 in its first year, and Homeisn't even out of the gate before we're having conflicting definitions of what the product can is. Sony needs to keep its facts straight, because customers and developers alike will be confused as to what it is Sony actually offers, and that's not a good scenario. "

The bolded parts seem to me you are getting worked up, If you just provided the link and just mentioned the parts which were not bolded and without the picture, it would be fine but the bolded parts just ruin it for you.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice

Fart_Storm

Firstly :lol: you haven't a clue who your talking to. :evil:

Secondly, take a chill pill, it a game forum.

thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts

[QUOTE="thegoldenpoo"]im not sure home is such a good idea, it just seems to brink criticsm their way and divert reorces to waht is basicall a second life rippoff. well i guess ripping things of is par for the corse for sony but seriously, whos experince is this going to enhance??thrones
People who want second life but are deprived of access to computers and yet somehow has access to both online and a PS3

precisely, i don't see the need or even the want for home, the fanbiys love it because they can tout it as a feature that no one else has (mainly because no one wants it) and then ignore its lack of function. the only reason Sony hasn't canned this (eventhough they admitted it was a mistake some time ago and supposedly put the thing on hold but didn't) is because it would be too bigger climbdown.

sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts

Fart_Storm, trying to be an internet bully due to being bullied in real life is not a good sign for yourself. It pretty much shows everyone how sad you are...

On-Topic: So...what exactly is home?

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

if it's focused on gaming then why do you really need a virtual apartment and why did they take so much time and money to develop items to buy and the ability to move all your virtual junk around?

they might say it's a fully featured social networking experience within Home but Home looks more like a social networking experience with gaming features jammed in.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SpruceCaboose

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Calling it a social networking thing would open a whole new can of worms. It makes sense to distance themselves from it.SecretPolice

I would have expanded but I got busy at work.

Calling it a social network could hurt it in terms of general perception. Its a game system after all, and Sony should have been focusing on the gaming applications of Home from the get go but they didn't at first, probably in trying to get more casual appeal.

Also, any social network now gets more and more media attention as a "trap" for children to be preyed on, another potential reason why Sony is making the switch, since gaming still lends itself to the notion that its only children playing games.

And lastly, more developers are getting into the idea of using the Home space, thus giving Sony more to market than just a social network.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20122 Posts

if it's not a social networking thingy..then wth is it?

stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5607 Posts

[QUOTE="NielsNL"]I don't really care how Sony refers to it. What I do care about is the final product, whether I like that or don't. This thread is just attacking Sony because you're a fanboy of another system and because you can. Fart_Storm

Seriously. I am so sick of delusional lemming fanboys, trying to plot the demise of the PS3. It's a good thing they don't say these things to my face, because I would explode on them. I will LOL when the PS3 sells 150 million (like the announced recently they would)

You would explode on someone... over a plastic video game console? :shock: I've heard it all now...

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thrones

if it's focused on gaming then why do you really need a virtual apartment and why did they take so much time and money to develop items to buy and the ability to move all your virtual junk around?

they might say it's a fully featured social networking experience within Home but Home looks more like a social networking experience with gaming features jammed in.

Ontain
Probably because halfway through they realised that the majority of their audience are Core gamers.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SecretPolice

sam280992

"Believe it or not

The story.

See, this is the problem with Sony. It can't get its stories straight. Sony already knows what a lack of focus and official definition did for the PlayStation 3 in its first year, and Homeisn't even out of the gate before we're having conflicting definitions of what the product can is. Sony needs to keep its facts straight, because customers and developers alike will be confused as to what it is Sony actually offers, and that's not a good scenario. "

The bolded parts seem to me you are getting worked up, If you just provided the link and just mentioned the parts which were not bolded and without the picture, it would be fine but the bolded parts just ruin it for you.

The bold under " Believe it or not " is my opinion and I think many would agree.

The second bold item now underlined is from the story - not my words.

Take a chill pill.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SpruceCaboose

What are you talking about? I bet you wouldn't say that to my face. Post your address, internet tough guy. I will fly to wherever you are to settle this once and for all.

Fart_Storm

Ahahahaha.

Internet tough guy is srs business....

Fart_Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fart_Storm

Fart_Storm, trying to be an internet bully due to being bullied in real life is not a good sign for yourself. It pretty much shows everyone how sad you are...

sargentbotk

I'm not an internet bully. I'm just sick of Lemmings bashing the PS3. I have had enough. And someone has to defend Sony. You guys are quick to forget the good times that Sony brought you in the PS1 and PS2 era. I don't forget.

Also, AAAA esclusive, anyone? 360 don't got one. LOL.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20535 Posts
omg...the way you guys were talking about it you make it seem like Home changed. If I start calling tomatoes "red rocks" it doesnt change the fact that its a tomatoe. Same goes here. Whether they call it a social network or not, it doesnt change what home is :| This is akin to sumone saying "LOLZ!!11 Bungie renamed 'Halo' to 'Ring World Shooter' lolz!!!11" Sure the name changed but the product it still the same. People in SW exagerate things sumtimes :?
Fart_Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Fart_Storm
[QUOTE="Fart_Storm"]

[QUOTE="NielsNL"]I don't really care how Sony refers to it. What I do care about is the final product, whether I like that or don't. This thread is just attacking Sony because you're a fanboy of another system and because you can. stevenk4k5

You would explode on someone... over a plastic video game console? :shock: I've heard it all now...

Let's just say that I am sick of Lemmings crap.

CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

Fart_Storm

See what you're doing Sony?! You've confused this poor little PS3 lover into thinking it's some game that can be graded by reviers. THINK OF YOUR SIMPLE YET LOYAL USERS SONY, THEY CAN'T HANDLE THIS CONFUSION.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="sargentbotk"]

Fart_Storm

I'm not an internet bully. I'm just sick of Lemmings bashing the PS3. I have had enough. And someone has to defend Sony. You guys are quick to forget the good times that Sony brought you in the PS1 and PS2 era. I don't forget.

Yeah, a multi-billion dollar company needs saving from forum users....

And you really, really don't want to debate game lineup PS3 vs 360. I love my PS3, but it will lose, and badly, between those two on this site.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Stonin

Fart_Storm

''Grrrraaawww!!! ME ANGRY, ME SMASH!! Big words make head hurt, bash yours so you know pain too!''

That about sums up your post I think.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="Ontain"]

thrones

Probably because halfway through they realised that the majority of their audience are Core gamers.

perhaps. i'm sure someone at sony has stats on the demographic that the ps3 actually appeals to. and i don't think sims online with arcade games is what they are looking for.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20122 Posts
[QUOTE="stevenk4k5"][QUOTE="Fart_Storm"]

[QUOTE="NielsNL"]I don't really care how Sony refers to it. What I do care about is the final product, whether I like that or don't. This thread is just attacking Sony because you're a fanboy of another system and because you can. Fart_Storm

Let's just say that I am sick of Lemmings crap.

I hope you're not GhostMLD..

or someone else we allready know..

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NielsNL
Member since 2005 • 4346 Posts
[QUOTE="Fart_Storm"][QUOTE="sargentbotk"]

SpruceCaboose

And you really, really don't want to debate game lineup PS3 vs 360. I love my PS3, but it will lose, and badly, between those two on this site.

It surprises me that you think the PS3 will lose to the 360.

Avatar image for XenogearsMaster
XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 XenogearsMaster
Member since 2007 • 3175 Posts

I don't quite understand the post... Did something happened to Home? Something big? Or something completely irrelevent and has no importance?

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts
Home is all that. is that a bad thing?
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Stonin
[QUOTE="sargentbotk"]

Fart_Storm

Also, AAA exclusive, anyone? PS3 don't got one. LOL.

Honestly, what kind of drivel are you posting? Who cares what Sony did in the past? If some guy buys you a beer one day and then takes a dump in the back of your car the next are you going to thank him for that as well?

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Stonin

I don't quite understand the post... Did something happened to Home? Something big? Or something completely irrelevent and has no importance?

XenogearsMaster

Sort of, but in reality it's just Sony backpedalling on promises they made when Home was announced. Essentially they had the vision but lacked the skills to pull it off :(.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Riverwolf007

why is this even a big deal? bloody system warsbigLLL
It's not important....other than being yet another example of the line of BS Sony feeds us.

Which example do you like best? Rumble, Backwards compatibility, CGI trailers, massive hype for mediocre games or games with non-disclosed release dates, refusal to work with devs to secure exclusives, insane executive quotes, firing Harrison for having the nerve to critisize Sony of Japan, overpromising and underdelivering, winning a format war by using early adopters and giving very little in return, showing contempt for the fanbase by letting all of the above happen?

I guess the whole Home fiasco is just a drop in the bucket at this point but come-on even if you don't care about Home in any way it's still an example of Sony's handling of this gen and adds yet another "faliure/hype>features/you will take what we give you and be happy about it/they believe anything we say ha,ha" argument to the bonfire.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

I don't really care how Sony refers to it. What I do care about is the final product, whether I like that or don't. This thread is just attacking Sony because you're a fanboy of another system and because you can. NielsNL

Plus it sounds to me like Home itself hasn't changes one bit since they've first shown it. Neither the idea nor the execution has changes. THe only thing that has changes is how they refer to it.

Seems pretty irrelevant to me and a weak excuse to bash Sony. Maybe if the end product suddenly no longer delivers what they claimed...then there would be something to bash. But really, right now, lemmings are just bashing adjective choice.

Fart_Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Fart_Storm
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="Fart_Storm"][QUOTE="sargentbotk"]

NielsNL

It surprises me that you think the PS3 will lose to the 360.

LOL at him thinking that the PS3 will lose to the 360. It's already on pace to sell exactly what Sony predicted- 150 million. Seriously, how can the 360 possible beat the PS3? It's not possible. The PS3 should pass the 360 this year, especially once the power of the Cell is unlocked and we see true photorealism like GT5.