Sony first party devs pretty much own the industry.

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ConsoleCounsla_
ConsoleCounsla_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ConsoleCounsla_
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts
They pump out quality game after game - new IPS, sequals with innovation. On top of their own list of things, they also contribute to alot of multiplat games by helping third party teams come out with quality multiplats. This arsenal of devs cant be matched with the likes of microsoft. They dont even have bungie anymore, and the only things in development are natal prototype games which are first generation and lackluster when compared to what ps3 has. When will microsoft invest some money in creating the foundation of what is required for quality games, DEVS?
93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

*Looks at TC's icon.*

Nintendo 1st party is better imo.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

Sony does have one hell of a 1st party, but I still much prefer Nintendos.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
natal? who still says that anymore?
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

Nah they are just one of many fish in a massive pond.

zeldisco2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 zeldisco2009
Member since 2009 • 554 Posts

They pump out quality game after game - new IPS, sequals with innovation. On top of their own list of things, they also contribute to alot of multiplat games by helping third party teams come out with quality multiplats. This arsenal of devs cant be matched with the likes of microsoft. They dont even have bungie anymore, and the only things in development are natal prototype games which are first generation and lackluster when compared to what ps3 has. When will microsoft invest some money in creating the foundation of what is required for quality games, DEVS?ConsoleCounsla_

but all the new IPS are rip offs from other games,so they dont feel like new IPs.Uncharted ripped off Tomb Raider,Indiana Jones and Gears of Wars.Whats the point of a new IP if it doenst bring any innovation or anything new to the table.I think the competition have still the better exclusives overall this gen.1 average year for Sony exclsives doesnt change the first 3-4 disappointing years.

Forza and Halo are regarded to be superior and better than GT and Killzone.

Resistance flopped financially and 3 was probably the last one.

Infamous is an average game and it got here 7.5 because the reviewer felt it is too similar to Infamous 1.

God of War hasnt shown any innovation this gen.

Littilebigplanet might be a decent effort but Nintendo has got better 2D and 3D plattformers.Although Sony is better than Microsoft in this genre.

I wont count third party exclusives as they dont mean much.Final Fantasy,GTA,Devil May Cry,Metal Gear and Tekken were regarded as iconic Playsation games and the main reason for Sonys success.Sony relied too much on third party unlike Nintendo and look where they are now:

Failure,last place and humuilaition in the console wars(lost all the money they made in the PS2 era),handheld wars(PSP GO nuff said) and motion controll wars(Is Move still alive? )

Vita doesnt look very promising as well,as Sony still doesnt get the handheld market, so I wont be suprised if Vita turns out to be Sonys last handheld ever.A little big like the Dreamcast.I think Sony has the best chance of doing a Sega and become third party developer for the Xbox 720 and Wii U if they continue failing and losing money.I wont mind seeing Uncharted or Littlebigplanet on the WII U.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 razgriz_101

@Zelda

Thing is most of those IP's were still commercially sucessful at retail and thats what really matters at the end of the day if they make a profit its all good.

zeldisco2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 zeldisco2009

@Zelda

Thing is most of those IP's were still commercially sucessful at retail and thats what really matters at the end of the day if they make a profit its all good.

razgriz_101

more or less succesful( 1-2 million copies except uncharted and GT) but nowhere near Nintendos success(25 million Mario Karts on the Wii and 20 million on the DS) or even Microsoft success with their firsr party or the fact,that third party sell better on the Xbox. And it doesnt make them dominant(or own the industry).Although this shouldnt stop Sony from becoming third party devs like Sega.Just hope that Uncharted or Littlebigplanet doensnt become hit and miss like Segas offering.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

and thats exactly why Playstation owners dont buy the games...wait what? lol its true so much hype and yet they dont buy them the Wii and 360 since day one have obliterated the ps3 in software sales.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

@Zelda

zeldisco2009

more or less succesful( 1-2 million copies except uncharted and GT) but nowhere near Nintendos success(25 million Mario Karts on the Wii and 20 million on the DS) or even Microsoft success with their firsr party or the fact,that third party sell better on the Xbox. And it doesnt make them dominant(or own the industry).Although this shouldnt stop Sony from becoming third party devs like Sega.Just hope that Uncharted or Littlebigplanet doensnt become hit and miss like Segas offering.

Thing is Mario Kart and Zelda are both franchises that have been well established for over 25 years for a start and instantly recoqnisable games from the get go you could make a dud of a game and fire their name on and it would sell.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23919 Posts

Of the 3 console companies: Innovation.

New IPs: Nintendo
New Core IPs: Sony
New online mechanics: Microsoft
New console features: Nintendo/Microsoft
Innovation within current IPs: Nintendo

Sony has not innovated or changed the industry much at all this gen. Quite a fair share of their new IPs arent exactly original, though some are Original like Littlebigplanet, Patapon, Flower and Demons Souls (I know this is a spiritual successor but still). Furthermore, I prefer Nintendo games over Sony games, though, I will aknowledge that Sony's FP has done really good for themselves this gen.

zeldisco2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zeldisco2009

[QUOTE="zeldisco2009"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

@Zelda

razgriz_101

Thing is Mario Kart and Zelda are both franchises that have been well established for over 25 years for a start and instantly recoqnisable games from the get go you could make a dud of a game and fire their name on and it would sell.

true that but its Sony fault to abandon their big names and mascots like Crash,Jak etc.Plus its their fault they relied too strongly on recognizeable and famous third party games like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear which are as old as Nintendo games.Plus GTA is also as recognizeble as any Nintendo game.And again its their fault they didnt do enough with regards to first party during the PS1 and PS2 era.Halo is a relaively young franchise but no Sony franchise is mathching it right now(commercially) even though Gran Turismo is slightly older than Halo.

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts

They are better than the rest at the MOMENT (Bar Bungie who aren't first party anymore).

But they don't "Own the industry" as you say.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="zeldisco2009"]

zeldisco2009

true that but its Sony fault to abandon their big names and mascots like Crash,Jak etc.Plus its their fault they relied too strongly on recognizeable and famous third party games like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear which are as old as Nintendo games.Plus GTA is also as recognizeble as any Nintendo game.And again its their fault they didnt do enough with regards to first party during the PS1 and PS2 era.Halo is a relaively young franchise but no Sony franchise is mathching it right now(commercially) even though Gran Turismo is slightly older than Halo.

thing is Sony didnt abandon crash because they never owned them in the first place.Also FF and MGS became synonymous with the PS because of their literal shift to their consoles in the 90s.

Also GT predates halo by roughly 4 years and could be considered their biggest franchise due to its sheer sucess over the past 15 years.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Gran Turismo is sony's biggest franchise.

didnt sony report losses in their gaming division for like the 4th year straight?! might be wrong, If im right that dont sound very succesful.

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

natal? who still says that anymore?campzor

Omg that nearly drove me insane trying to remember what Natal was LOL. Totally forgot about that name but it sounded so familiar xD.

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
sony first party characters are pretty aweful and very snooze inducing (unmemorable) to me personally. i do like infamous games, but the other games are pretty boring to me.
incuensuocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 incuensuocha
Member since 2009 • 1514 Posts
I still think Nintendo's first party is the best, but Sony's isn't that far behind.
Khoo1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#21 Khoo1992
Member since 2005 • 2472 Posts

I think Sony's first party games are much better this generation, probably due to the slow start of the PS3 and more third party games go multiplat. Which prompted them to focus on first party games more...

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I think Sony's first party games are much better this generation, probably due to the slow start of the PS3 and more third party games go multiplat. Which prompted them to focus on first party games more...

Khoo1992

I agree Sony's first party games are a lot better then last gen. I didn't even purchase a Sony first party game last gen but this gen all but one game I own on the PS3 is first party.

But I still don't think it is as good as Nintendo's first party but it isn't far behind.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44069 Posts

If Sony doesn't get it's financial in order pronto, the industry may own them. :twisted:

Eh, they done good but don't forget about "N". :P

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

This gen Sony really impressed me with their 1st party games. Regarding 1st party games this gen: Sony>>Nintendo>>>>>MS for me.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Thankgoodness that isnt true.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#26 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

The avatar is appropriate at least.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
lol,no, that would be nintendo's first party
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
Its the first party I support, prefer and cherish..Thank you Sony and Kaz.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
yea! sony devs are great at making games no one wants to buy :lol: its their characters. other than nathan drake they have no one interesting
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]yea! sony devs are great at making games no one wants to buy :lol: its their characters. other than nathan drake they have no one that they spend hundreds of millions of dollars on marketing and promotion on

fixed ;)
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mems_1224
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]yea! sony devs are great at making games no one wants to buy :lol: its their characters. other than nathan drake they have no one that they spend hundreds of millions of dollars on marketing and promotion onStrongDeadlift
fixed ;)

yea because they dont have any good characters to market. i played killzone 2 and some of 3 and i couldnt even name one character from that series. same with resistance. kratos is one of the worst characters ever. sackboy is really the only other option
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

*Looks at TC's icon.*

Nintendo 1st party is better imo.

93BlackHawk93

this

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I agree completely, except for InFamous 2, it really disappointed me :(

I still prefer Nintendo's first party, but Sony's is DEFINITLY amazing this gen.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]yea! sony devs are great at making games no one wants to buy :lol: its their characters. other than nathan drake they have no one that they spend hundreds of millions of dollars on marketing and promotion onmems_1224
fixed ;)

yea because they dont have any good characters to market. i played killzone 2 and some of 3 and i couldnt even name one character from that series. same with resistance. kratos is one of the worst characters ever. sackboy is really the only other option

I dissagree with some of those. Kratos, reguardless of his character, actually has a marketable image that sticks in peoples minds.

Everybody who looks at Kratos, reguardless of if they remember his name, they will remember his image. Same with Cole from Infamous 2 (not infamous 1 because it was utter trash).

Same with Assassins Creed, which has sold, what 30 million so far? (the franchise has sold more than current gen iterations of Halo and Gears COMBINED btw) yet nobody outside of the gaming community will ever know who Ezio or Altair is. They just remember the cool looking hooded guy with a cape and a knife.

It is the same with Halo and CoD. Reguardless of what people on here like to believe (with all the "my grandma plays halo" comments) nobody outside of the gaming community knows who master chief is, nor will they remember any of the characters in CoD. All they know is the name "Halo", and the green guy that is plastered all over the Mountain Dew bottles and Dorito bags in their cubbord.

Most of the people who line up with sleeping bags outside of the stores are just college kids doing what their friends are doing because its "cool". People's girlfriends will buy their boyfriends Halo or Gears because of the commercials, the pop culture influence, and because they heard thats the new cool thing that their boyfriends want. Nothing more, nothing less. Next gen when Sony actually cares about catering to the masses, we will see the exact same thing with Nathan Drake or Cole, or whoever their current flavor of the month (or gen) is.

It is ALL the marketing money. Period. You notice how CoD was completely irrelevant until CoD4 right? Take a look at CoD2 and 3. Cod 2 sold 2 million on 360. Cod 3 sold 2 million on 360 and........wait for it.........700k on PS3. Call of Duty 3 didnt even hit 1 million on PS3, and only 2 million on 360, yet magically, CoD4 sold 8 million and 5 million on PS3 and 360 respectively, and even then it wasnt anywhere NEAR where it is now. What happened? Then, 2 years later, Modern Warfare 2 came out, and a quantum leap occured. Modern Warfare 2 seemingly overnight became the biggest selling franchise of all time. Want to know what happened that made such a drastic difference?

a $250 MILLION dollar advertizing campaign. Thats wat happened.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#35 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I think Nintendo first part has overall been more influencial, but no doubt that Sony isn't far behind. Only Sony exclusive franchise I don't care much for is Resistance, but just about everything else I've enjoyed alot.

gensigns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gensigns
Member since 2007 • 1495 Posts

Nintendo first part by far the all-around best games this gen.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

This gen I would agree:

Sony > Nintendo > MS. That said, I am sort of counting MGS4 as one for Sony, when it isnt actually a first party title.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"] fixed ;)StrongDeadlift

I dissagree with some of those. Kratos, reguardless of his character, actually has a marketable image that sticks in peoples minds.

Everybody who looks at Kratos, reguardless of if they remember his name, they will remember his image. Same with Cole from Infamous 2 (not infamous 1 because it was utter trash).

Same with Assassins Creed, which has sold, what 30 million so far? (the franchise has sold more than current gen iterations of Halo and Gears COMBINED btw) yet nobody outside of the gaming community will ever know who Ezio or Altair is. They just remember the cool looking hooded guy with a cape and a knife.

It is the same with Halo and CoD. Reguardless of what people on here like to believe (with all the "my grandma plays halo" comments) nobody outside of the gaming community knows who master chief is, nor will they remember any of the characters in CoD. All they know is the name "Halo", and the green guy that is plastered all over the Mountain Dew bottles and Dorito bags in their cubbord.

Most of the people who line up with sleeping bags outside of the stores are just college kids doing what their friends are doing because its "cool". People's girlfriends will buy their boyfriends Halo or Gears because of the commercials, the pop culture influence, and because they heard thats the new cool thing that their boyfriends want. Nothing more, nothing less. Next gen when Sony actually cares about catering to the masses, we will see the exact same thing with Nathan Drake or Cole, or whoever their current flavor of the month (or gen) is.

It is ALL the marketing money. Period. You notice how CoD was completely irrelevant until CoD4 right? Take a look at CoD2 and 3. Cod 2 sold 2 million on 360. Cod 3 sold 2 million on 360 and........wait for it.........700k on PS3. Call of Duty 3 didnt even hit 1 million on PS3, and only 2 million on 360, yet magically, CoD4 sold 8 million and 5 million on PS3 and 360 respectively, and even then it wasnt anywhere NEAR where it is now. What happened? Then, 2 years later, Modern Warfare 2 came out, and a quantum leap occured. Modern Warfare 2 seemingly overnight became the biggest selling franchise of all time. Want to know what happened that made such a drastic difference?

infamous 2 was awful. such a let down of a game assassin's creed isn't an exclusive, so idk what that has to do with anything. and halo wasn't always marketable. it was pretty much overlooked at the launch of the xbox. it became marketable because it was such an innovative game. sony has good games, they just dont have anything that stands out or that does anything new or better than what is already out there except maybe uncharted
SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

Most of Sony's first party games don't have that spark for me. They aren't very special.

I much prefer the first party of other companies.

But in terms of the industry I don't think any 'first party' owns that at all since the industry dwarfs the size of any of them.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] yea because they dont have any good characters to market. i played killzone 2 and some of 3 and i couldnt even name one character from that series. same with resistance. kratos is one of the worst characters ever. sackboy is really the only other optionmems_1224

infamous 2 was awful. such a let down of a game assassin's creed isn't an exclusive, so idk what that has to do with anything. and halo wasn't always marketable. it was pretty much overlooked at the launch of the xbox. it became marketable because it was such an innovative game. sony has good games, they just dont have anything that stands out or that does anything new or better than what is already out there except maybe uncharted

Infamous 2 being bad is all your opinin man, same goes for you thinking that doesn't stand out or do anything better. Sony exclusives are great IMO and alot of people seem to agree since they buy them, you have Uncharted and Killzone and LBP and GOW ect.... these arn't games you can really dismiss just because they arn't on your system.

Look xbox is good too and has good games, but I don't go around bahsing the games themselves. And all the bashing I do is just tounge-in-cheek and is lighthearted humor. It's not serious.

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

i agree 11 thousand percent. i hope next gen sony will just make first party games unless these multiplat devs would stop being lazy and start copying sony devs to make quality games. sony got the best first party games **

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

i agree 11 thousand percent. i hope next gen sony will just make first party games unless these multiplat devs would stop being lazy and start copying sony devs to make quality games. sony got the best first party games **

_SWAG_
Because they are more diverse, unlike Blizzard games and the copy-paste Sims?
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#43 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Nintendo's first party party is the best. It sets the trends, and pretty much establishes the standards for the entire industry to follow.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="_SWAG_"]

LOXO7

lol why do people fall for that guy? You know what it is right? Just ignore it.....

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mems_1224
[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

Infamous 2 being bad is all your opinin man, same goes for you thinking that doesn't stand out or do anything better. Sony exclusives are great IMO and alot of people seem to agree since they buy them, you have Uncharted and Killzone and LBP and GOW ect.... these arn't games you can really dismiss just because they arn't on your system.

Look xbox is good too and has good games, but I don't go around bahsing the games themselves. And all the bashing I do is just tounge-in-cheek and is lighthearted humor. It's not serious.

i judge a game by how good it is, not by what system its on.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] infamous 2 was awful. such a let down of a game assassin's creed isn't an exclusive, so idk what that has to do with anything. and halo wasn't always marketable. it was pretty much overlooked at the launch of the xbox. it became marketable because it was such an innovative game. sony has good games, they just dont have anything that stands out or that does anything new or better than what is already out there except maybe unchartedmems_1224

That's all an opinion though.....

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mems_1224
[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

That's all an opinion though.....

everything is an opinon. saying sony has the best exclusives is an opnion. what does that matter?
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="LOXO7"][QUOTE="_SWAG_"]

ShadowMoses900

lol why do people fall for that guy? You know what it is right? Just ignore it.....

The same could be said for you and your threads...
pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

*Looks at TC's icon.*

93BlackHawk93

:lol:

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

Nintendo's first party party is the best. It sets the trends, and pretty much establishes the standards for the entire industry to follow. charizard1605

I wouldn't go that far.

They certainly didn't set the trend for FPS games, RTS games, TBS games, Survival Horror, Simulators, Adventure,City Builders, RPGs, hack n slash, etc etc you see where I'm going with this.

Platformers, and action-adventure? Yeah, they helped a crap load especially with platformers.