Sony: DSi is another KIDS PRODUCT!!!

• 139 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Don't they use DS's to give out tour info in japanese museums and other totally non-gaming related stuff that kids wouldn't be into at all?

Sony's reaching. The new thing is that if someone is beating you in every way, you call them kiddy and somehow that makes it ok that their product is clobbering and destroying yours even though its aimed at the same market.

Ninty does way more to attract adults than Sony does to attract kids and non-gaming adults.

Odd that they call the DS with more PSP-like features kiddy. What does that make the PSP?

More adults probably own a DS than the entire install base for the PSP... and unsold PSPs.

UnamedThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 UnamedThing
Member since 2008 • 1761 Posts

[QUOTE="jeffwulf"]This topic is silly. Nintendo already already captured the adult audience with Brain Training and all that stuff.ukillwegrill

Agreed. My Nan has one. She's 75 ... She's amazing at it too

Really? Tell her I want a showdown at noon tomorrow. Too bad I'm 13 and my brain age is like 67....

fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 fbigent34
Member since 2007 • 2389 Posts

Well i was planning on buying a ps3 i guess now i wont.

thanks sony. you lost a sale :)

i got a wii and 360.

fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 fbigent34

who ever says it not for kids then there blind. it aimed for kids there for it is for kids. about 90% of ds owners are kids that got for x-mas. sure some adults play it but like i said more kids play the ds.

so please stop making it seem so far fetch for sony to say this. it true and we all now it. most adults that play it has children they got it for in the first place.

GARRYTH

give it up i know half of my friends who are 21 years old love the ds there not KIDS. Sony needs to check there online ages first.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Sony calling all sheep a bunch of 12 year old punk kids. If I was a sheep I would be VERY offended about this. I can't think of anything more insulting, well maybe them insulting your mother.

Maybe.

09Nick

I think you need to get out more. Just ignore Sony theirs no reason to bag on them for their opinion.

hmac777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 hmac777
Member since 2007 • 1351 Posts
The DS killing psp in sales doesn't negate the fact that it has a large kid fan base, your making an arguement with evidence that has nothing to do with the outcome. Infact having a large kid/casual fanbase is what allows nintendo to make so much money. Its a battle of integrity vs. good business (not to say nintendo doesn't have integrity for making kids games, theyve always made games that are user friendly, its not a bad thing)
And there are a lot of kid geared games on DS, stop trying to deny it by saying it has lots of other games too, because that doesnt make the kid games unexist. the problem is not that the games are kids geared or family friendly, the problem is people acting like this is a necessarily bad thing.
MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 MarloStanfield
Member since 2008 • 2409 Posts

The DS killing psp in sales doesn't negate the fact that it has a large kid fan base, your making an arguement with evidence that has nothing to do with the outcome. Infact having a large kid/casual fanbase is what allows nintendo to make so much money. Its a battle of integrity vs. good businesshmac777

But the majority of people who own the system aren't kids and it has a larger amount of adults and gamers playing it than garbage like the PSP

DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 DJCUEBALL
Member since 2008 • 2562 Posts

[QUOTE="DJCUEBALL"]Well it iscakeorrdeath

By what measure?

Majority of the games are geared toward the younger crowd. I had a Wii and returned it after 30 days along with the purchased games. I've played the DS that my cousin has and he's 10. I enjoy my PS3, PSP, and 360 and I'll be sticking to those.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
[QUOTE="09Nick"]

Sony calling all sheep a bunch of 12 year old punk kids. If I was a sheep I would be VERY offended about this. I can't think of anything more insulting, well maybe them insulting your mother.

Maybe.

JangoWuzHere

I think you need to get out more. Just ignore Sony theirs no reason to bag on them for their opinion.

Their opinion is wrong. There are facts. Sony just ignores them and spouts insulting nonsense.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#60 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]

[QUOTE="DJCUEBALL"]Well it isDJCUEBALL

By what measure?

Majority of the games are geared toward the younger crowd. I had a Wii and returned it after 30 days along with the purchased games. I've played the DS that my cousin has and he's 10. I enjoy my PS3, PSP, and 360 and I'll be sticking to those.

So your measure is you not liking it?

hmac777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 hmac777
Member since 2007 • 1351 Posts

[QUOTE="hmac777"]The DS killing psp in sales doesn't negate the fact that it has a large kid fan base, your making an arguement with evidence that has nothing to do with the outcome. Infact having a large kid/casual fanbase is what allows nintendo to make so much money. Its a battle of integrity vs. good businessMarloStanfield

But the majority of people who own the system aren't kids and it has a larger amount of adults and gamers playing it than garbage like the PSP

The game user chart shows that the biggest fan base group is kids, yes there are lots and lots of other people who play it. But then you have to think about the people who are now getting older whop grew up with nintendo who make up the next age group. And what makes the psp garbage, there are plenty of great games that get good scores and are plenty of fun for plenty of people. And fewer kids are likely to buy it so they can pick up silent hill origins or syphon filter. The concept that ds and psp are in competition seems ludacris to me, they fill 2 completely different niches
APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts
I think the DSI is a lame upgrade, even though I own a DS and prefer it over the PSP there is no way I will pay money for the DSI.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#63 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

I think the DSI is a lame upgrade, even though I own a DS and prefer it over the PSP there is no way I will pay money for the DSI.APOLLOCJD

You say that before you even know what games will be on its wiiware. Sorry I don't like missing any games on any system if I can help it.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
[QUOTE="09Nick"]

Maybe.

JangoWuzHere

There's plenty of reason. For one, they are wrong. Two, they are displaying a tactic usually reserved for beaten eight year olds. Three, they seem to be completely out of touch with reality.

DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DJCUEBALL
[QUOTE="DJCUEBALL"][QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]

[QUOTE="DJCUEBALL"]Well it iscakeorrdeath

By what measure?

So your measure is you not liking it?

Along with the product is just geared towards a very young crowd. That's what Nintendo's demographic is, look around. I see it all the time. I know many people who either have a Wii or a DS whereas the older crowd has a PS3 or a 360 or both. It's common sense... Nintendo makes their consoles and handhelds cheap so that kids can afford it. Well not the kids, but the parents can afford it for the kids. Whereas someone who's a bit older, has a job can afford to buy a more expensive console.

Face it, you have games like Nintendogs, Pokemon, Mario that appeal mostly (not all) to kids and it's mainly the parents buying these games. Now this may not be the case with you or some people here on the forums, but generally that is the case.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
I know many people who either have a Wii or a DS whereas the older crowd has a PS3 or a 360 or both. It's common sense... Nintendo makes their consoles and handhelds cheap so that kids can afford it. Well not the kids, but the parents can afford it for the kids. Whereas someone who's a bit older, has a job can afford to buy a more expensive console.DJCUEBALL
No no. You're making generalizations. Incorrect ones.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Along with the product is just geared towards a very young crowd. That's what Nintendo's demographic is, look around. I see it all the time. I know many people who either have a Wii or a DS whereas the older crowd has a PS3 or a 360 or both. It's common sense... Nintendo makes their consoles and handhelds cheap so that kids can afford it. Well not the kids, but the parents can afford it for the kids. Whereas someone who's a bit older, has a job can afford to buy a more expensive console.

Face it, you have games like Nintendogs, Pokemon, Mario that appeal mostly (not all) to kids and it's mainly the parents buying these games. Now this may not be the case with you or some people here on the forums, but generally that is the case.

DJCUEBALL

We've long since entered the realm of anecdotal evidence here...

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 cakeorrdeath

DJCUEBALL

Along with the product is just geared towards a very mature crowd. That's what Nintendo's demographic is, look around. I see it all the time. I know many people who either have a Wii or a DS whereas the younger crowd has a PS3 or a 360 or both. It's common sense... Nintendo makes their consoles and handhelds cheap so that people with other financial commitments can afford it. Whereas someone who's a bit younger, has no dependants or overheads can afford to buy a more expensive console.

Face it, you have games like Brainage, Hotel Dusk, New York Times Crossword that appeal mostly (not all) to an older crowd. Now this may not be the case with you or some people here on the forums, but generally that is the case.

See we can all make generalised anecdotal statements, they don't mean much.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

it is true that the core demo for DS is 12 and under, and the PSP is tweens / teens. the problem when you start arguing based on core demographics is that it's meaningless. older and younger (fringe markets) will still buy the products and can still make up a considerable percentage of your market share. games are still made specifically for people in these ranges - this is a fact!

in other words, Koller isn't calling the DSi kiddy, you - as a SW poster - are misappropriating the quote. fortunately adults that work in the business world rarely act like SW people ;) What Koller was doing was taking a jab at Nintendo's core demographic and ribbing them for not trying to reach out to different groups. The problem with that is the PSP fails miserably when compared to the DS in all demographic groups :).

it's just business jabs folks, don't make it more than it is.

shadowcat2576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#70 shadowcat2576
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts

The reason I have a problem with this statement is because it's completely not true and just sounds like the garbage that your average fanboy spews on here on a daily basis. You can have PR, but at least try to back it with reasoning and thought.

I'm not entirely sure I'm reading the chart right, but it appears to me that while there are indead high numbers of younger kids buying the DS, they don't make up the majority of its userbase. I think as it shows, the DS has done a great job of attracting gamers in the over 20 market.

Why wouldn't the DSi possibly attract more users in the 13-19 age range. PSP users always point to the multimedia and online features, which the DSi will now have in some fashion.

EddyPee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 EddyPee
Member since 2005 • 474 Posts
[QUOTE="DJCUEBALL"]

cakeorrdeath

Along with the product is just geared towards a very mature crowd. That's what Nintendo's demographic is, look around. I see it all the time. I know many people who either have a Wii or a DS whereas the younger crowd has a PS3 or a 360 or both. It's common sense... Nintendo makes their consoles and handhelds cheap so that people with other financial commitments can afford it. Whereas someone who's a bit younger, has no dependants or overheads can afford to buy a more expensive console.

Face it, you have games like Brainage, Hotel Dusk, New York Times Crossword that appeal mostly (not all) to an older crowd. Now this may not be the case with you or some people here on the forums, but generally that is the case.

Damn, you sniped me. :x

To be honest (and to continue the generalised anecdotal statement trend), I think the biggest PsP userbase is kids. Out of the 20 14-year old kids I shared a common room with, only 2 (including myself) had a DS. The rest had PsP's, and all but one of those went on eBay. For about a month the main conversation topic in our room was how much a PsP fetches on eBay.

All Sony are trying to do here is get the 12-year old userbase for themselves, by trying to make 12-year olds buy PsP's to seem cool (because apparently DS's are for kids).

DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 DJCUEBALL
[QUOTE="DJCUEBALL"]

cakeorrdeath

Well I'm speaking generally because that's what the public is... general. I can't go around and single out everyone in US and say this person is 12 and he has a DS, etc. Generaly this is the norm. Lol, damn why are people getting so upset over this?

Dr-Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Dr-Doctor
Member since 2006 • 707 Posts
Sony reps are so most immature sometimes, they're like 12 year olds.
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"][QUOTE="DJCUEBALL"]

EddyPee

Damn, you sniped me. :x

To be honest (and to continue the generalised anecdotal statement trend), I think the biggest PsP userbase is kids. Out of the 20 14-year old kids I shared a common room with, only 2 (including myself) had a DS. The rest had PsP's, and all but one of those went on eBay. For about a month the main conversation topic in our room was how much a PsP fetches on eBay.

All Sony are trying to do here is get the 12-year old userbase for themselves, by trying to make 12-year olds buy PsP's to seem cool (because apparently DS's are for kids).

heh, i'm much older and did the same - my girlfriend and i both sold out PSPs for DS :) never looked back.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#75 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26112 Posts
This is news? They have been saying things like this for years, and ironically, most kids only buy the PS1 or PS2.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9131 Posts
sony says funny stuff all the time
SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts
[QUOTE="DJCUEBALL"]

cakeorrdeath

great answer.

and there's no such laws as to wether the console sells only to a specific demographic or whatever. c'mon ppl, we're talking about games here, when Atari was out did only kids play it? did only teens play it? did only adults play it?

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Why does Sony always feel compelled to talk about other people's products? Nintendo is grossly outselling them this gen and in handheld hardware.

yet they still mouth off? GTHO, Sony.

Professor64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Professor64
Member since 2008 • 119 Posts

Dont blame them guys!

You see, every month when they see the sales they get a heart attack and they go to the corners of their offices and sulk while holding their legs!

They have to do something to change this sittuation even if they only thing they can do is just talk trash! But Sony......this is indeed a new low because even if you talk trash.....DS will still beat the crap out of the PSP and PS3 and PS2 and if we count Wii sales in there then.....what can we say......whatever you say to the public sounds something like this in our ears

"OUAAAAAA OUAAAAA OUAAAAA". Cry me a River Sony Cry Me A River!

whodey8584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 whodey8584
Member since 2008 • 245 Posts
What is all the yelling about????? It is a kids thing for 12 and under except for maybe a game or two which everybody can play. I dont get what the big deal is. Hello and WAKE UP everyone. Nintendo is targetting the 12 and under market. You guys think its an accident? Its just like saying that a xbox and ps3 are basically for people 12 and over. Do you really want your kid playing GTA 4 or nintendogs?
fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 fbigent34

What is all the yelling about????? It is a kids thing for 12 and under except for maybe a game or two which everybody can play. I dont get what the big deal is. Hello and WAKE UP everyone. Nintendo is targetting the 12 and under market. You guys think its an accident? Its just like saying that a xbox and ps3 are basically for people 12 and over. Do you really want your kid playing GTA 4 or nintendogs? whodey8584

Dude why do you think my dad has an nes? my dad I am 21 years old and i have own a ds, i have wi and 360 . gta is coming to ds.

I have friends who would 18 (with me in high school/work) that love te ds. this proves nintendo targets everyone.

ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#82 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts
What is all the yelling about????? It is a kids thing for 12 and under except for maybe a game or two which everybody can play. I dont get what the big deal is. Hello and WAKE UP everyone. Nintendo is targetting the 12 and under market. You guys think its an accident? Its just like saying that a xbox and ps3 are basically for people 12 and over. Do you really want your kid playing GTA 4 or nintendogs? whodey8584
So that's why most of their adverts and many of their DS games are targeting adults, it's a trick to somehow get 12 year olds to buy their console :roll:
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
a sony rep calling the Ds a kid handheld. its funny, though. here in new york city, i see wayyyyy more kids playing psp's than a nintendo ds.
Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

Isn't there a new GTA game coming out for the DS?

Why are you comparing the DS to home consoles anyway? Demographic is one thing, strange as that comparison was, but also the games.

From the range of games available for the DS, they seem to be aiming at gamers.

Why stereotype the DS with Nintendogs of all games, thats like saying the PS3 is a just shooter console.

-General_Ram-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 -General_Ram-
Member since 2008 • 998 Posts

well I own a DS lite.....but lets not make any mistakes.....Nintendo gears all their products for kids.

They might have some form of older appeal, but they are at their core geared for kids.

I see children with DS lites in public all the time.

To older gamers with a DS: DO NOT FEEL IMASCULATED. its ok to have a DS despite its geared demographic. dont be insecure.

Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

well I own a DS lite.....but lets not make any mistakes.....Nintendo gears all their products for kids.

They might have some form of older appeal, but they are at their core geared for kids.

To older gamers with a DS: DO NOT FEEL IMASCULATED. its ok to have a DS despite its geared demographic. dont be insecure.

-General_Ram-

But what makes the kiddy arguement hard to swallow is that it isn't marketed as a kids console.

Also as well as first party games some of which are for older gamers, there is also a load of 3rd party games that appeal more to adults.

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 cakeorrdeath

Well I'm speaking generally because that's what the public is... general. I can't go around and single out everyone in US and say this person is 12 and he has a DS, etc. Generaly this is the norm. Lol, damn why are people getting so upset over this?

DJCUEBALL

Who's is getting upset?

I just think you are wrong and forming opinion off incorrect assumptions. If you look at the data I posted earlier you can see the DS spreads right through the age groups.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

Sony director of hardware marketing John Koller

09Nick

So this is the guy that needs to be fired! :o

-General_Ram-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 -General_Ram-
Member since 2008 • 998 Posts
[QUOTE="-General_Ram-"]

Darth_DuMas

But what makes the kiddy arguement hard to swallow is that it isn't marketed as a kids console.

Also as well as first party games some of which are for older gamers, there is also a load of 3rd party games that appeal more to adults.

wrong, their are far more casual DS games over core games. It is marketed as a kids console. You see what you want to see.

I for one am not insecure. I buy the occasional DS game that im interested in.

Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
He came off completly ignorant; but I agree with the gist of his comment.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#91 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30573 Posts
everytime "sony" talks is to bash something! this kind of arrogance made me a sony hater this gen :?
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 cakeorrdeath

For those that missed it.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26622801&page=0

Click the link and laugh lol. Just when people thought they lost it it comes right back. Hell they made those comments about the 360/Wii being dead terminals what less then two weeks ago as well.

Like Manny being Manny this is just Sony being Sony. I expect it 24/7 so its come to the point where I don't even care anymore.

Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts
Well, I'm 30 and I'm thinking of getting a DSi. The last hand held I've bought was a GBA (still play it, too, hehe).
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

yeah...and the psp is geared towards 15 year olds that just want to look cool by having a multimedia device in their pocket.

I can make mass generalizations too.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#96 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

This is just Sony's standard PR procedure in full effect.

Open mouth, insert foot.

I was hoping this kind of crap had left with Kutaragi but it seems Sony still hasn't leanred how to open its collective mouth without letting its foot cram itself in there.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#97 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
Hmm... funny. Didn't we like all know that the DS has actually gained new ground under the older audience? I know ... funny huh? The DS has titles appealing to all age groups. Sony just wish they had that success with the PSP
king_bobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#100 king_bobo
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts
And it will still crush your PSP Sony.SpinoRaptor
Are you serious? The PSP is the better of the two and has better games. It's just that their not really the sort of thing that people end up using, whereas the DS is.