So when has specs won a console war and why would it this time?

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MstaPrimeMnista
MstaPrimeMnista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 MstaPrimeMnista
Member since 2013 • 1042 Posts
When the PS4 was announced.
Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

This proves that a console launching first usually wins. Except for the Wii, which won because of it's different way of gameplay. Though it's awesome that Sony has sold as much as they have being in third place. But it will be different next gen, even if the WiiU released first, it will struggle. 

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

Really? What a bunch of unsubstantiated garbage.

Do moos sneak out when you talk?

StormyJoe

Yeah because lems are substantiating all the garbage they spew lol. It's a fact Uncharted 2 won the most graphics awards this gen more than any other game. PS3 games also won in general the most graphic awards.

Killzone 3 better looking that Crysis 2/3? Whatever, dude.

Proof otherwise? At least KZ2/3 have more graphics awards which amount to more proof than lems subjective claims.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#104 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
Specs are getting less and less meaningful over time. I find it funny how everyone is assuming that the failure of the wiiu is somehow a triumph for high specs. The new ms and sony consoles could sell just as bad. If they are expensive then I expect them to sell even less
StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Yeah because lems are substantiating all the garbage they spew lol. It's a fact Uncharted 2 won the most graphics awards this gen more than any other game. PS3 games also won in general the most graphic awards.kuraimen

Proof otherwise? At least KZ2/3 have more graphics awards which amount to more proof than lems subjective claims.

HA HA HA!!!

You make an unsubstantiated claim, I call you on it, you tell me "prove that I am wrong." What-the-f-ever.

IGN (Crysis 2 review): " This is the best-looking console game to date." Took me about 5 seconds to find that. http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/03/22/crysis-2-review-2?page=2

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

This proves that a console launching first usually wins. Except for the Wii, which won because of it's different way of gameplay. Though it's awesome that Sony has sold as much as they have being in third place. But it will be different next gen, even if the WiiU released first, it will struggle.

Martin_G_N

Dreamcast launched before the PS2...

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Martin_G_N
Specs are getting less and less meaningful over time. I find it funny how everyone is assuming that the failure of the wiiu is somehow a triumph for high specs. The new ms and sony consoles could sell just as bad. If they are expensive then I expect them to sell even lessGunSmith1_basic
How expencive do you expect these consoles to be? People pay more for they're phones these days.
Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Martin_G_N

[QUOTE="Martin_G_N"]

StormyJoe

Dreamcast launched before the PS2...

That's true, I forgot about that. I remember I didn't know about the Dreamcast until after I bought the PS2. I guess the PS1's success and Sony's great marketing was a big reason for that.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Oh look, TC likes to speculate. Good for him.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

StormyJoe

HA HA HA!!!

You make an unsubstantiated claim, I call you on it, you tell me "prove that I am wrong." What-the-f-ever.

IGN (Crysis 2 review): " This is the best-looking console game to date." Took me about 5 seconds to find that. http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/03/22/crysis-2-review-2?page=2

3 seconds

http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-killzone-3-vs-crysis-2-analysis/2/

Conclusion:Although Crysis 2 looks fantastic on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, the graphics crown still belongs to Guerrillas Killzone 3. Not only does Killzone 3 look graphically better, the performance its more stable throughout.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#111 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Yeah because lems are substantiating all the garbage they spew lol. It's a fact Uncharted 2 won the most graphics awards this gen more than any other game. PS3 games also won in general the most graphic awards.kuraimen

you are the one who made the original Claim, the onus is on you to prove him wrong, i will give you crysis 2, Killzone 3 does look on Par but performs better on consoles, Crysis 3 though? no chance, on a technical level crysis 3 on consoles is better than Killzone 3 and it'a better game to boot.
genfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#112 genfactor
Member since 2004 • 1472 Posts

[QUOTE="robotapple"]

snes beats neo geo, neo geo has better specs - Mega Drive

ps1 beats n64, n64 has better specs - Saturn

ps2 beats gc and xbox, they both have better specs - Dreamcast

MrYaotubo

Let´s not forget the ones that completely dispell your point,shall we? But nice try.

His point is that the most powerul system didn't sell the most.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 delta3074

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Proof otherwise? At least KZ2/3 have more graphics awards which amount to more proof than lems subjective claims.kuraimen

HA HA HA!!!

3 seconds

Conclusion:Although Crysis 2 looks fantastic on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, the graphics crown still belongs to Guerrillas Killzone 3. Not only does Killzone 3 look graphically better, the performance its more stable throughout.

so no poof it looks better than crysis 3 then.
omarissac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 omarissac
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts

[QUOTE="omarissac"]

[QUOTE="delta3074"]Not true, there are quite a few games that where Not ports and a few games where the Ps3 was the lead platform that performed worse on the Ps3, the PORT excuse doessn't work for a lot fo the games,Even crysis 3 performs at a lower resolution on the Ps3 and we know that was optimised for the Ps3 using Cryengine 3, RDR was not a PORT, it's Sub-HD, Ghostbusters was significantly better on the 360 but the Ps3 was actually the lead platform. Although i agree with you that in a lot of cases it was bad porting but in quite a few it was the Ps3's lack of useable RAM that let it down, as was the case with Skyrim and other games like RAGE and Red faction Guerilla. Also, it had nothing to do with 'Lazy' developers it was more of a financial descision, why spend Extra time and money and man hours optimising a game when you can get it 90% to the 360 version without Ps3 gamers having to wait an extra 6 months for it to release on there console, everyone blames Lazy devs but Gives SONY a free pass even though they admitted they made the Ps3 hard to code for.Vatusus

you can add DMC 4, MGS rising, mirrors edge, dead space and burnout pardise, all those games lead on ps3 but came out looking even or better looking on 360.

What a load of BS

DMC4 and Burnout Paradise both are better on PS3, even if slightly

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/burnout_5/features/article/burnout_paradise_xbox_360_vs_playstation_3.html

The PS3 game wins, but it's by the smallest margin.

taken from IGN DMC4 Head2Head 

Features
DMC4 offers a mostly identical experience across both platforms. You'll find the same staggering number of unlockable difficulty levels on both Xbox 360 and PS3, going from the breezy "Human" to the utterly insane "Heaven or Hell" mode. Outside of tweaking the difficulty, DMC4 offers players a challenge arena called Bloody Palace where players will be able to take on wave after wave of enemies to hone their skills and complete a series of progressively difficult missions to access more unlockable booty. Said booty is also identical across both platforms, offering a story theater for viewing the game's prolific cutscenes, a concept art gallery, and a kind of bestiary that will let you study enemy models. Both versions also allow players to post their high scores for individual levels to leaderboards.

The only other major feature in DMC4 is the built-in achievement function which will, likely, be a point where some people develop their own preference for one particular version. The actual achievements are mostly the same across both PS3 and 360, however the interface is slightly different. The 360 offers the same XBL message box that pops up in the corner of the screen when a new achievement is unlocked, and then the running tally is kept in the blade menu. On the PS3, achievement messages are delivered on a separate system-level screen (like the one you get when you hit the PS button on the SixAxis to turn off the console) that takes you out of the game for a few quick seconds. It's a little more intrusive and doesn't seem to connect to any additional PSN features (though there's been much speculation about eventual integration of these achievements into Home?we'll have to wait and see).

On a basic level, the achievements add a lot of repeatability to the game, built around replaying the single player over and over again. Having achievements in the PS3 is a great addition, but long-time 360 fans will probably prefer grabbing the points for their gamer score. Since that's a system-level feature and not a fault of the game itself we won't use that as grounds to favor one version or the other. Otherwise, the feature-set is identical on both PS3 and 360.

Overall
1. PS3 & Xbox 360

Control
DMC4 is a game built around precision controls and stringing endless combo chains together to get a new high score. The controller has a crucial role to play in that process and here, mileage will vary drastically depending on your preferred input device. Technically, the SixAxis and 360 controllers offer an identical number of inputs and the DMC4 controls are mapped in the same exact way across both versions. You'll attack and jump with the face buttons, control the camera (when the game allows it) with the right analog stick, and switch fighting styles with Dante using the d-pad. You can lock on with the right bumper on the 360 or the R1 button on the SixAxis. The left trigger, and L2 button respectively, is used to rev up Nero's Red Queen sword for added damage. When you unlock Dante, you'll use the right trigger, or R2 button, to switch weapons.

Objectively, the game's controls are far more similar than dissimilar. Still there's no denying the significant differences in the actual hardware. The 360's controller is a great piece of ergonomic design with really solid analog sticks and great analog triggers. The bumpers, however, aren't as convenient to access at regular intervals during intense sword battles, and it definitely feels awkward having to hold down the right bumper to stay locked on during a frantic fight with multiple enemies on screen. The inclusion of rumble is also a nice visceral part to the mix, offering a small but palpable bit of feedback during battle.

The SixAxis is a lighter controller with soft, breezy analog sticks, but better access to the R1 button during combat. It doesn't feel nearly as awkward holding down R1 while trying to keep a combo going as it does the 360's bumper. Players familiar with the DMC series may also feel more naturally at home on SixAxis as the game has always been made for Sony controllers. DMC4 definitely feels light and nimble when you've got a SixAxis in your hand, assuming you don't mind forgoing rumble, which we're willing to wager many players won't want to do. SixAxis also allows players to assign camera control to the controller's tilt function, but the feature isn't nearly sensitive enough and proves far too awkward to use in the heat of battle. It's an entirely negligible add-on that most no one will use.

Ultimately, neither controller is inherently better or worse than the other and the option for customizing your controls should allow fans to find a comfortable way to play the game on either console. I tend to prefer the PS3's spongy analog sticks and flat face buttons, but just as many people will get more mileage out of the 360's tight analog sticks and rumble

Overall
1. PS3 & Xbox 360

Graphics
DMC4 features some richly detailed gothic environments, imaginatively conceived enemies, and massive levels set across sprawling castles and maze-like forests. It's an impressive workload to run through any console, and while most multi-console games have featured a noticeable difference in graphical fidelity from the 360 to the PS3, DMC4 looks near identical on both platforms. You'll be getting similarly detailed texture resolutions, the same animations, the same particle effects and lighting. Capcom really has done a tremendous job coaxing an almost indistinguishable visual experience from both consoles and we take our hats off to them.

Some hardcore videophiles will notice that the PS3 version of the game has a slightly crisper over-all look. We did a series of tests checking texture resolution and environmental detail in both versions, flicking back and forth between the two consoles on one monitor, and while it seems that the textures and environmental assets appear to be the same, there's something slightly muddy about the 360 version in comparison. It's a marginal difference that we would have never noticed had we not been switching back and forth between the two versions with our faces 6 inches from the monitor combing for discrepancies. The game looks 99% identical across both platforms, and it's not an issue where Capcom has dialed back detail or simplified texture resolution, but something in the way the PS3 renders an image on screen appears marginally sharper than the 360. PS3 gets the nod here, but only by the thinnest of margins.

Overall
1. PS3
2. Xbox 360

Mirror's Edge and Dead Space are more or less the same 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-16-article?page=2

DICE has done a magnificent job on both versions, regardless of the platform it may have led on, and Unreal Engine 3 has been proven as a cross-platform middleware capable - with minor compromises - in producing like-for-like multiformat games.

In terms of real-life impact, the tearing is a minor annoyance on the PS3 Dead Space, taken by IGN inside

Graphics
If there's one category that should matter most for a game like Dead Space it's the graphics. So which version is better? EA Redwood Shores has done an outstanding job of making sure the game looks and runs identically on both consoles. Dead Space is brought to life with an impressive lighting model, high-resolution textures, and a remarkably detailed character model for Isaac. The color palate is comparatively limited to the industrial grays and blacks of a futuristic space station, but the significant amount of environmental detail is always impressive.

The 360 and PS3 versions of the game are all but indistinguishable. There is a small difference in the ways each render color, but with Dead Space's flexible brightness customization, you should be able to get an equally impressive image with both versions. Dead Space doesn't always have the smoothest framerate. You'll notices some hitches if you make wide camera swings in new areas. There's also a bit of slowdown in some rooms with a lot of enemies. This happened in equal measure on both the 360 and PS3. Videophiles might have some issues with the slowdown, but I actually found it enhanced the play experience, exacerbating the sense of fear and helplessness. Finally, you'll get a terrifically detailed and atmospheric game on both consoles, neither is inherently better than the other.

Overall
1. Xbox 360 & PS3

Overall
EA Redwood Shores has done one of the best jobs I've seen of making sure their game runs equally well on the 360 and PS3. The game looks great, sounds great, and plays great on both platforms. Neither version is missing a crucial feature, and EA has outdone most other major third party publishers by including Trophy support in the PS3 version. The game runs identically on both platforms, and controls equally as well on either controller. You'll be able to save yourself a few seconds when loading a saved game on the PS3 version, but this isn't something you'd notice unless you were actively timing it. Ultimately, the PS3 and 360 version of the game will deliver an identically entertaining and atmospheric experience.

END

so please, dont lie to suit your fanboyish needs

why the f88k would you use ign, when we have Digitail foundry they think the 360 version looks better of DMC4 and they say burn out is even, so please the last thing i'am is a fanboy, like you. if we go by ign then cryisis 2 on 360 would be the best lookinjg console game ever. calling me a fanboy for saying the truth makes you look stupid.

MstaPrimeMnista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 MstaPrimeMnista
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

HA HA HA!!!

3 seconds

Ah classic Delta trolling. Tell me, doesnt 360 have anything you can defend anymore or you trying to make hermits look bad like you did with lemmings?
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 delta3074
[QUOTE="MstaPrimeMnista"][QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]

3 seconds

Ah classic Delta trolling. Tell me, doesnt 360 have anything you can defend anymore or you trying to make hermits look bad like you did with lemmings?

Reading comprehension, i was talking about the 360 version of crysis 3, it's got more going on under the hoodd than killzone 3 and is a better game to boot and i don't troll sunshine, i leave that to people like you.
MstaPrimeMnista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 MstaPrimeMnista
[QUOTE="MstaPrimeMnista"][QUOTE="delta3074"]so no poof it looks better than crysis 3 then.delta3074

Reading comprehension, i was talking about the 360 version of crysis 3, it's got more going on under the hoodd than killzone 3 and is a better game to boot and i don't troll sunshine, i leave that to people like you.

And this somehow deletes all your recent posts? As for what your talking about, like I said, classic trolling by you.
Avatar image for Holyspirit-Xbox
Holyspirit-Xbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Holyspirit-Xbox
Member since 2013 • 271 Posts
The PS1 had better specs than the N64, just because the N64 had better graphics processors in theory does not mean the N64 had better specs my children. If you add all the specs of the PS1, from Cpu, to polygon and teture processing, to CD technology, and pre-rendered FMV, and other CD-only spces, along with external storage, the PS1 has better specs overall.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 delta3074
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="MstaPrimeMnista"] Ah classic Delta trolling. Tell me, doesnt 360 have anything you can defend anymore or you trying to make hermits look bad like you did with lemmings?MstaPrimeMnista

And this somehow deletes all your recent posts? As for what your talking about, like I said, classic trolling by you.

so why would you imply that i was trying to make hermits look bad like i 'DID' (Past tense) with lemmings, i was juts pointing out that i clearly was not. And i reall y don't care what you think, in my opinion Crysis 3 looks Better than Killzoone 3 and it's a better game to boot because it isn't a corridor shooter, unlike killzone 3 you can be completely flexible about how you engage the enemy and the methods you use in Crysis 3, it basically offers you Far more gameplay freedom than Killzone 3.
omarissac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 omarissac

[QUOTE="MstaPrimeMnista"][QUOTE="delta3074"]Reading comprehension, i was talking about the 360 version of crysis 3, it's got more going on under the hoodd than killzone 3 and is a better game to boot and i don't troll sunshine, i leave that to people like you.delta3074

so why would you imply that i was trying to make hermits look bad like i 'DID' (Past tense) with lemmings, i was juts pointing out that i clearly was not. And i reall y don't care what you think, in my opinion Crysis 3 looks Better than Killzoone 3 and it's a better game to boot because it isn't a corridor shooter, unlike killzone 3 you can be completely flexible about how you engage the enemy and the methods you use in Crysis 3, it basically offers you Far more gameplay freedom than Killzone 3.

i think halo 4 looks better then kill zone 3 and crysis 2-3, if your only talking about consoles., crysis1-3 on consoles is sub hd and has horrible frame rate.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#121 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I don't care who "wins" a stupid war. I care about who is going to give me the best gaming experience, and at this time it looks like it's going to be the PS4.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 delta3074

I don't care who "wins" a stupid war. I care about who is going to give me the best gaming experience, and at this time it looks like it's going to be the PS4.

ShadowMoses900
Agreed, so Far the Ps4 looks to be the one that will deliver the goods for gamers, lloks like SONy are going all out to win back there fanbase.
omarissac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 omarissac

ShadowMoses900

I agree with this, anyway every single playstaion console has sold great, even ps3 will end up doing 90 million when it's all said and done amd will end up the second best console selling console this gen.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#124 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

delta3074

Agreed, so Far the Ps4 looks to be the one that will deliver the goods for gamers, lloks like SONy are going all out to win back there fanbase.

They never lost their fanbase.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

*caugh* Move *caugh*
omarissac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 omarissac

ShadowMoses900

In the US, xbox really did take some of there fans away, a good amount.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#127 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

True, specs don't determine who wins a generation. Lots of factors go in to who wins, such as developer support, ease of working with the platform, exclusives, advertising, etc.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 delta3074

ShadowMoses900

yeah they did, some of them anyway, especially over here, Ps1 was the best console ever made, The Ps2 did not have a lot of titles i wanted so i went with the Cube, best exclusives last gen, IMO but the 3rd pary support was lacklustre so i switched to the Xbox, the Xbox gave me a few multiplats i wanted that you couldn't Get on other consoles like Pariah, Doom 3, Half life 2, Chronicles of Riddick and more importantly Morrowind and i loved Fable, with the xbox i caught the WRPG Bug and the 360 is the same, i could get Multiplats i want that not on other consoles and it has, more importantly i get WRPG's i want that i cannot get on other consoles like Gothic 4,risen, Ego draconis ,witcher, Torchlight and Fable. I have never gone with a particular Company, i go where the games i want are which is why i am not an early adopter but i am inclined to Believe that MS will attempt to Block used games and i loathe the idea of an 'always on Camera' and 'always online' approach to DRM, Besides, the Ps4 will get the better version of the next installments of Fallout and Elder scrolls, my two favorite series if the rumours are true.
Avatar image for angelsrul_basic
angelsrul_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 angelsrul_basic
Member since 2003 • 79 Posts
This gen I preferred xbox because of halo online and better quality muliplat ( the majority of the time). Based on the next gen rumors I'm leaning toward sony. Halo is no longer as good as it used to be; bungie no longer makes it and I personally found Halo 4 online gameplay to be a step down from what it used to be. Also multiplats will be superior on PS4 if the rumors are true. There are no microsoft exclusives that interest me enough to buy their system. Microsoft seems to be focused on kinect and hoping that will drive sales like the wii did with its motion control. I have no interest in kinect at this point. It appears sony has learned from their mistakes and is making some good decisions, while microsoft is heading in a different direction.