SO Home is basically a failure.

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PrimusGears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PrimusGears
Member since 2008 • 1594 Posts
Nothing like cows were claiming when it was announced in 2007. NXE was a bigger event than Home, funny how time changes and perceptions change.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
well it is making money, so I wouldn't all it a failure :? and more devs are working with it, there is a great potential in there
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
well kinda but its still beta..
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
It's a Beta, it's a service, not a game, I heard it already made over 1 Million$, Sony's keeps anouncing more and more support from the industry, just recently EA, and Rockstar announced Home Spaces. No Failure.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
since when was making $1,000,000+ and growing a failure?
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
It's a Beta, it's a service, not a game, I heard it already made over 1 Million$, Sony's keeps anouncing more and more support from the industry, just recently EA, and Rockstar announced Home Spaces. No Failure.Eddie-Vedder
I recall reading a link where Sony said the official release was the Beta release.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
That really depends on how much money Sony make from it. Over time, they'll probably make tenfold of what it cost to develop.
1xcalibur1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 1xcalibur1
Member since 2008 • 442 Posts

Way too early to put a "tombstone" on this one.

It's still a beta and it's starting to go strong.

More spaces are getting rented out by game producers.

They just need to implement more features they promised.

Tyrant156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tyrant156
Member since 2004 • 737 Posts

Nothing like cows were claiming when it was announced in 2007. NXE was a bigger event than Home, funny how time changes and perceptions change.PrimusGears

NXE wasn't an event, it was just a new way to navigate through the 360.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
Home is basicly an Avatar within a 3d enviroment? Yet MS gets knocked for doing avatars?
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Jrfanfreak88
Member since 2008 • 1792 Posts
Nothing like cows were claiming when it was announced in 2007. NXE was a bigger event than Home, funny how time changes and perceptions change.PrimusGears
Home has already made sony over 1 million dollars, and that's just the beginning. Wait til home explodes with different areas that you can spend your cash in. Even if just a million users spend 2 dollars on some thing in home that's 2 million bucks right there. I actually had some fun playing the games in home and can't wait to see what's down the road.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Eddie-Vedder
Home is basicly an Avatar within a 3d enviroment? Yet MS gets knocked for doing avatars?dotWithShoes
It's not basicly an avatar lol... How do you compare mii's and MS avatars to home? Home is a service, their will be movie rentals, trophy rooms, leaderboards, game spaces, mini games. It isn't basicly an avatar... And their's no reason to hate on it, it's going to make sony money so they can improve PSN while keeping it free, don't tell me you'd prefer they scrap Home and make us pay a fee for online...
Reel_E_Weird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Reel_E_Weird
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
how does it make money..im a 360 user...im not bashing or anything....i really would like to know what its all about, I've seen vids on it, but i guess b/c it is a beta, it still had some questions unanswered
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
home is just sony testing out a new field. they are just using it to test the social networking part of the internet. and its made over a million dollars. and its FREE. how can that be called a failure? its like saying just because your girlfriend sucks in bed, even when shes giving you FREE sex. you don't have to pay any money for it... that makes it automatic win
sasapac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sasapac
Member since 2008 • 1056 Posts
home is getting better and better companies like ea. they are making rooms at home and sony make money from it (it's still a beta)
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Eddie-Vedder
how does it make money..im a 360 user...im not bashing or anything....i really would like to know what its all about, I've seen vids on it, but i guess b/c it is a beta, it still had some questions unansweredReel_E_Weird
Microtransactions, you can buy furniture, clothing, they'll eventually probably let you watch movies at the theatre, with a fee, it's all microtransactions. I won't waste a cent in their lol, unless it's to watch a movie or something, Casuals will pay for PSN =D tis a great idea tbh lol.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
well kinda but its still beta..yoyo462001
it is? i thought that was like offial release and they are just updating it. anyway, i think it is good from what i have heard. i don't have a ps3 but i could find it enjoyable playing that with nothing in there except people dancing.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts
I check it maybe once every 1-2 weeks and always leave with my head hung in disappointment. The last time I was there I watched a guy do a dance to make it look like he was punching another user in the face. I guess it beats waiting in line to bowl.:(
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Eddie-Vedder
[QUOTE="yoyo462001"]well kinda but its still beta..iam2green
it is? i thought that was like offial release and they are just updating it. anyway, i think it is good from what i have heard. i don't have a ps3 but i could find it enjoyable playing that with nothing in there except people dancing.

It's still beta tho, it was released in the Beta phase, probably cause of all the moaning about delay's lol.
CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CubanBlunt
Member since 2005 • 2025 Posts

Home is basicly an Avatar within a 3d enviroment? Yet MS gets knocked for doing avatars?dotWithShoes

Thats because 360 fan knocked the Wii and Home for doing it, then Microsoft turn around and get Avatars because everyones else has them.....thats why Microsoft gets knocked for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

Home has been far from a failure and it is still in the Beta stages. It may be pointless and really lame, but far from a failure. But hey, its free to use so why complain?

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
A Beta making $1 mill is a failure? :? Sony has made more money off of Home then Microsoft had for NXE
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
It's a complete failure, I don't care how much money it makes. It's dull and until they get some real content in there I will continue to feel that it is a failure. I have no desire to spend any time in there, let alone spending my money on imaginary items.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

A Beta making $1 mill is a failure? :? Sony has made more money off of Home then Microsoft had for NXEEVOLV3

Especially since there is nothing to sell NXE-related.

BBwlovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BBwlovers
Member since 2008 • 126 Posts
Why is Home still beta? Good god it take Sony forever to finish anything. I was on this beta at a bros house and it reminded me of the 90s chat rooms all over again, i give this expanded chat room a 2 out of 10 on a good day.
Tyrant156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tyrant156

It's a complete failure, I don't care how much money it makes. It's dull and until they get some real content in there I will continue to feel that it is a failure. I have no desire to spend any time in there, let alone spending my money on imaginary items.heretrix

The main purpose is to socalize not look for content, just because you don't understand what it's used for doesn't make it a failure.

KingTuttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KingTuttle
Member since 2006 • 2471 Posts
NXE is a software upgrade versus a community portal like home. I don't know why we are making this comparison. Also, Sony may have claimed to have generated 1 million in revenue but that isn't 1 million in profit. It's funny how these microtransactions are being applauded by the Sony fanbase when not too long ago they heckled 360 users for buying themes and gamerpics. I love the hypocrisy here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5dd711115e664

It's a complete failure, I don't care how much money it makes. It's dull and until they get some real content in there I will continue to feel that it is a failure. I have no desire to spend any time in there, let alone spending my money on imaginary items.heretrix

I guess that makes Halo a failure since I don't care how much money it makes and find it dull and have no desire to spend my time there? Quick! Start a Halo is basically a failure thread because my opinion trumps reality.

PoppaGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PoppaGamer
Member since 2009 • 1629 Posts
Currently it is a bit of a failure. Right now its fun once and a great while because of the lack of content and things to do. But over time it will improve and it will be a solid feature. Comparing an OS update like NXE to Home is a bit of a stretch.
Fire-of-Njozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Fire-of-Njozi
Member since 2009 • 468 Posts
[QUOTE="Giancar"]well it is making money, so I wouldn't all it a failure :? and more devs are working with it, there is a great potential in there

I agree here. it really is going to be a function of what developers do with it.
onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

[QUOTE="PrimusGears"]Nothing like cows were claiming when it was announced in 2007. NXE was a bigger event than Home, funny how time changes and perceptions change.ZIMdoom

Home has been far from a failure and it is still in the Beta stages. It may be pointless and really lame, but far from a failure. But hey, its free to use so why complain?

that makes it a failure to me

loftus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 loftus42
Member since 2008 • 1086 Posts
It's a Beta, it's a service, not a game, I heard it already made over 1 Million$, Sony's keeps anouncing more and more support from the industry, just recently EA, and Rockstar announced Home Spaces. No Failure.Eddie-Vedder
LOL, charging money for graphical updates for furniture and clothes for your avatar. and cows complain about charging for Live. WOW, And you think MS milks money from people? Now we know why PSn is free. LOL.
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts

[QUOTE="heretrix"]It's a complete failure, I don't care how much money it makes. It's dull and until they get some real content in there I will continue to feel that it is a failure. I have no desire to spend any time in there, let alone spending my money on imaginary items.ZIMdoom

I guess that makes Halo a failure since I don't care how much money it makes and find it dull and have no desire to spend my time there? Quick! Start a Halo is basically a failure thread because my opinion trumps reality.

well look at it this way, the time and resources that went into Home could probably be used to make a decent game which would have earned them alot more than 1 mil in revenue, in my books not a failure but a grave miss allocation resources.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5dd711115e664
[QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

[QUOTE="heretrix"]It's a complete failure, I don't care how much money it makes. It's dull and until they get some real content in there I will continue to feel that it is a failure. I have no desire to spend any time in there, let alone spending my money on imaginary items.yoyo462001

well look at it this way, the time and resources that went into Home could probably be used to make a decent game which would have earned them alot more than 1 mil in revenue, in my books not a failure but a grave miss allocation resources.

Considering I should be playing Twisted Metal and God of War by now (I believe), I agree.

rexoverbey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 rexoverbey
Member since 2002 • 7622 Posts
NXE was more than just avatars also people forget that. We can now watch netflix movies for free. Better than watching some movie (ads) in a fake theater. We can do real movie rentals and don't have to pretend we are in a theater. Or setup a fake room to sit in I can do that in real life if I wanted.
Mavlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 Mavlow
Member since 2007 • 223 Posts
let hold up with all this it "made one million dollar" talk...Maybe it brought in one million dollars in revenue but how much did it cost to develop? Come talk to me when it makes one million dollars in profit That said the fact that they were able to bring in one million dollars in revenue during the beta and they have a few designers on board to make a few new areas there could be some potential there. I have logged on once and left after about 15 min...just not something i will ever use but i could see it being fun for some people

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Currently it is a bit of a failure. Right now its fun once and a great while because of the lack of content and things to do. But over time it will improve and it will be a solid feature. Comparing an OS update like NXE to Home is a bit of a stretch.PoppaGamer

One that you would pull a quad muscle trying to do.

Tyrant156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Tyrant156
[QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

[QUOTE="heretrix"]It's a complete failure, I don't care how much money it makes. It's dull and until they get some real content in there I will continue to feel that it is a failure. I have no desire to spend any time in there, let alone spending my money on imaginary items.yoyo462001

Rather have both, I have games but didnt have a place to talk to all my friends online till Home.

IIJuggaNottII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 IIJuggaNottII
Member since 2008 • 1907 Posts
If the lone purpose was JUST to get money from gamers and provide them with a stale, boring, pointless experience......I guess its doing well. I can see it now....Sony Home Beta year 2.
Tyrant156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Tyrant156

NXE was more than just avatars also people forget that. We can now watch netflix movies for free. Better than watching some movie (ads) in a fake theater. We can do real movie rentals and don't have to pretend we are in a theater. Or setup a fake room to sit in I can do that in real life if I wanted.rexoverbey

You can set up a fake room with all your friends from all over the country? Who pays for the air fare? Anyone can get a subscription to netflix....

loftus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 loftus42
[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"]Home is basicly an Avatar within a 3d enviroment? Yet MS gets knocked for doing avatars?Eddie-Vedder
It's not basicly an avatar lol... How do you compare mii's and MS avatars to home? Home is a service, their will be movie rentals, trophy rooms, leaderboards, game spaces, mini games. It isn't basicly an avatar... And their's no reason to hate on it, it's going to make sony money so they can improve PSN while keeping it free, don't tell me you'd prefer they scrap Home and make us pay a fee for online...

No, instead of charging for PSn, they charge you for a graphical new home, (5.00), or a new shirt(1.00). Lol, I see no difference in the two. Live does the same thing but without the glorified Sims interface. I think its funny how cows are defending this and ragging on Live. Ones not right, but the other is? LOL I will be able to live without Home, and play MGS4, and all my other games on my PS3, without Home.
SeanDiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SeanDiff
Member since 2007 • 933 Posts
[QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

Microsoft -make- you pay 50$ a year to play online. This is completely optional. They also make money from ads.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

You could have just as easily said "SO Home is basically a success." bla , bla , bla , yada , yada , yada ..... who are you again ?

Tyrant156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Tyrant156

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"][QUOTE="dotWithShoes"]Home is basicly an Avatar within a 3d enviroment? Yet MS gets knocked for doing avatars?loftus42

No, instead of charging for PSn, they charge you for a graphical new home, (5.00), or a new shirt(1.00). Lol, I see no difference in the two. Live does the same thing but without the glorified Sims interface. I think its funny how cows are defending this and ragging on Live. Ones not right, but the other is? LOL I will be able to live without Home, and play MGS4, and all my other games on my PS3, without Home.

Live forces you to pay to play, you're not forced to buy a thing in Home and can still play games online for free.

loftus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 loftus42

[QUOTE="loftus42"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] It's not basicly an avatar lol... How do you compare mii's and MS avatars to home? Home is a service, their will be movie rentals, trophy rooms, leaderboards, game spaces, mini games. It isn't basicly an avatar... And their's no reason to hate on it, it's going to make sony money so they can improve PSN while keeping it free, don't tell me you'd prefer they scrap Home and make us pay a fee for online...Tyrant156

Live forces you to pay to play, you're not forced to buy a thing in Home and can still play games online for free.

for 1 thing it's not just pay to play, there are a number of features that only gold members can use. Mark my words, there are going to be very few things you can do in home, without paying money. Spin it all you want, it's a way for sony to get money for totaly worthless imaginary things, and MS forces you to pay to play on-line, real difference. LOL.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]It's a complete failure, I don't care how much money it makes. It's dull and until they get some real content in there I will continue to feel that it is a failure. I have no desire to spend any time in there, let alone spending my money on imaginary items.ZIMdoom

LOL. It's your opinion dude, knock yourself out.
PoppaGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PoppaGamer
[QUOTE="yoyo462001"][QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

ZIMdoom

Considering I should be playing Twisted Metal and God of War by now (I believe), I agree.

I'm with you and yoyo. But I have to disagree to a degree. (you like that?) All Home is missing is the content. And that will come. I think it is fairly obvious Sony didn't put every strong 1st party dev on it. Otherwise it would be a lot more full on content, IMHO. So, they did what they could to get it where it is now. At least it exists and can be grown from here. Long story short: They didn't use enough resources and time to make a good game. That's why Home is the way it is.

** I am sick and tired of this site telling me "- Your HTML is not well-formed - please check for unclosed tags." Only to take out all of my paragraph spacing and post without any issue or html issues after I hit submit a second time.

PoppaGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PoppaGamer
[QUOTE="heretrix"][QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

LOL. It's your opinion dude, knock yourself out.

Isn't that what he just told you?
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 heretrix

Look, I'm just asking for a damn casino. Why is that so hard? A cafe? REALLY? So now they are going to sell you fake food too?

ghod.