So Black Spiderman is incoming...huh... Nay or Yay?

• 154 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1847 Posts

So it's pretty obvious that latest Insomniac's Spiderman is laying ground for an afro-american Spiderman. Will you love or hate it?

PS. I know my thread may sound weird when worded like that, but, honestly, i just had wanted to avoid spoilers. I didn't know Miles was already famous. I have never heard about Miles before. It's not about race. I don't know how strong his character was in the comics, but in the game Miles as a character looked to me as a weak sauce honestly. Not entirely convinced he will be an interesting replacement for Peter Parker. I didn't mind Miles as a geeky sidekick though, but as a spiderman, he kinda doesn't fit.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

You mean Miles?

Avatar image for thirty8_special
Thirty8_Special

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Thirty8_Special
Member since 2018 • 36 Posts

Zero reason to dislike it, as long as the game is good.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IvanGrozny
@Ant_17 said:

You mean Miles?

Yes

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@ivangrozny: He's cool.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By IvanGrozny
@Ant_17 said:

@ivangrozny: He's cool.

I hope he grows up a bit more. From what I have seen the guy is shorter than Peter.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44290 Posts

Well there have been alternate versions of Spider-Man in the comics before, including Miles, so I don’t see why they wouldn’t do it in the games as well.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@ivangrozny said:

So it's pretty obvious that latest Insomniac's Spiderman is laying ground for an afro-american Spiderman. Will you love or hate it?

You are aware were getting a Spider-man movie this year AKA Spider-Man into the Spider-verse right? Miles was put in the game only because his movie is due this December and Miles is pretty good.

Also about Miles. He is a Black Latino. He was not born in any of the Spanish conquered countries. His mother is Hispanic but he is an American of African and Latin descent. His mother more than likely has a mix of Spaniard, "Native American", and some African. She seems to favor her African ancestry with her physical appearance. Thus for simplicity Miles probably identifies as Black. Most children from New York City who are product of an African-american and Puerto Rican\Dominican parent tend to identify as black. There are instances where someone is obviously mostly Spaniard so technically they would be biracial and probably go based on how they look.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15945 Posts

Miles Morales is a pretty cool spidey though. Sure nobody can replace bruce wayne as batman but spidey can always be replaced in my opinion. Always felt Peter deserve a good end with MJ.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

@ivangrozny: you don't read much Spider-Man books do you...

http://worldofblackheroes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/miles-morales-and-peter-parker.jpg

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

This isn’t something new and he’s a well written character. He’s good by me.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dreman999

@ivangrozny: he's started pit being spider man when he was 14.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By IvanGrozny
@dreman999 said:

@ivangrozny: you don't read much Spider-Man books do you...

http://worldofblackheroes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/miles-morales-and-peter-parker.jpg

Comics were never big in my native country. All I know about spiderman I got from movies and cartoons.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dreman999

@ivangrozny: well. Here.

https://readcomicbooksonline.org

You're welcome.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Did TC just out himself as racist?

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IvanGrozny
@dreman999 said:

@ivangrozny: well. Here.

https://readcomicbooksonline.org

You're welcome.

Holly cow. Thanks.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Why cares what race he is. Weird question.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

As long as Peter Parker stays the main Spiderman. Sorry but I grew up on Peter Parker and that's whos Spiderman to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Instead of seeing yet another Peter Parker story, like how many times in last 5 years...I would have preferred the latest Spider-Man to be Miles's story, you know cause it hasn't been done to death this millennium.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58382 Posts

Don't really care much about the guy under the suit, at least as far as spiderman goes.

Weren't they going to make the next Ironman a black woman female kid with an afro, too?

I'd be OK with that, too.

@blackhairedhero said:

As long as Peter Parker stays the main Spiderman. Sorry but I grew up on Peter Parker and that's whos Spiderman to me.

That's kind of how I feel as well. There needs to be "The" Spiderman, then "Other" Spidermans"

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61509 Posts

Do you mean a well-established character, that they actually brought into the main universe/timeline? Yeah, sure. Miles is an established character... If they made Peter black, then that would be dumb as shit.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

Yay or nay? Miles as spiderman has existed for 7 years now, this is not news.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9555 Posts
@goldenelementxl said:

Did TC just out himself as racist?

yea it looks like it

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#24 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

I can see no reason to be bothered by this other than racism.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Miles Morales is a pretty cool spidey though. Sure nobody can replace bruce wayne as batman but spidey can always be replaced in my opinion. Always felt Peter deserve a good end with MJ.

Came to thread to post precisely this.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#26  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19582 Posts

One reason why Spider-Man is more popular than both Superman and Batman is because almost anyone can be Spider-Man. Unlike Superman and Batman who have a defined physical appearance even when in costume, Spider-Man's costume completely covers his whole body. This allows almost anyone to project themselves onto Spider-Man. So a black Superman or black Batman wouldn't make much sense, whereas a black Spider-Man would make a lot of sense.

The Marvel Universe has always had multiple versions of Spider-Man, including multiple parallel versions of Peter Parker, along with different characters calling themselves Spider-Man. Even back in the '70s, one of the first ever live-action depictions of Spider-Man was the Japanese Spider-Man, who later appeared as an alternate Spider-Man in several Spidey comics (as a canon character in the Marvel Universe)...

Loading Video...

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By IvanGrozny
@mojito1988 said:

It's not about race. It's about replacing the main character. Have never heard about Miles before. I have been told already he had existed already. I don't know how a strong character he is in the comics, but in the game Miles looked to me as a weak sauce honestly. Not entirely convinced he will be an interesting replacement for Peter Parker.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By IvanGrozny
@uninspiredcup said:

Except in the game Miles is a pretty weak character. i mean his development and origins are pretty weak. If Spiderman to be replaced, I hoped it would be replaced by someone...a bit more older, tougher, and with a better background story. I don't mind a different spiderman, as long it is more interesting. Miles honestly is not. At least not to me. I didn't mind Miles as a geeky sidekick though, but as a spiderman, he kind doesn't fit.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15580 Posts

@ivangrozny said:
@mojito1988 said:

It's not about race. It's about replacing the main character. Have never heard about Miles before. I have been told already he had existed already. I don't know how a strong character he is in the comics, but in the game Miles looked to me as a weak sauce honestly. Not entirely convinced he will be an interesting replacement for Peter Parker.

I don't know who you're trying to convince here that you're not a racist but I don't think it's working.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blackhairedhero

@ivangrozny: I don't think he will replace Peter.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 IvanGrozny
@blackhairedhero said:

@ivangrozny: I don't think he will replace Peter.

Not Peter, as a main character to continue the saga.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 IvanGrozny
@Vaasman said:
@ivangrozny said:
@mojito1988 said:

I don't know who you're trying to convince here that you're not a racist but I don't think it's working.

Shut the **** up.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15580 Posts
@ivangrozny said:
@Vaasman said:

Shut the **** up.

called it.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
@ivangrozny said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Except in the game Miles is a pretty weak character. i mean his development and origins are pretty weak. If Spiderman to be replaced, I hoped it would be replaced by someone...a bit more older, tougher, and with a better background story. I don't mind a different spiderman, as long it is more interesting. Miles honestly is not. At least not to me. I didn't mind Miles as a geeky sidekick though, but as a spiderman, he kind doesn't fit.

Because he is a teenager in the game and didn't have powers. His background story is no more boring than peters. Miles has been spiderman for the past 7 years so it's only natural to represent him in future spiderman games.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Blackhairedhero

@ivangrozny: Dont think that will happen either. At least I hope not.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By IvanGrozny
@Nick3306 said:
@ivangrozny said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Because he is a teenager in the game and didn't have powers. His background story is no more boring than peters. Miles has been spiderman for the past 7 years so it's only natural to represent him in future spiderman games.

But Peter's origin story is from 60s. I expected a bit better writing in 2018. Miles' repeating Peter's way of becoming Spiderman like that is just some lazy shit of a writing. And it's very implausible. Miles's origin story from the game is basically like winning a lottery of becoming a spiderman. He didn't deserve it. Very unsatisfying.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Blackhairedhero

@Nick3306: He was Spiderman in the alternate universe. Sorry but no it wouldn't be natural for him to be the main character. Now a DLC or some multiplayer? That would be cool.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17675 Posts

I’m not familiar enough with the history of Spider-Man to have any type of informed opinion about this, but I’ve always understood Peter Parker to be white from the mainstream depiction of him in popular media. I don’t much care either way, does race somehow change the mythos? What’s the point.....just to be? Proper representation?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Peter Parker is "The Spiderman" to the majority & ..Miles Morales is the other Spiderman...so to say, nothing wrong with that. Kinda like Kal-el is the Superman that majority of people know off..and then there's other Superman in the comics that no one has ever heard off - Val Zod for example. At least Miles has his own story...not an exciting one..but hey at least its not "let change Peter Parker to be a black guy" :P

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@ivangrozny said:
@Vaasman said:
@ivangrozny said:
@mojito1988 said:

Shut the **** up.

When one resorts to insults, it usually means they have lost the argument. You aren't fooling anyone.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#41  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

First thought is, I would be way more down with Miles being a new superhero and not a Spider-Man clone. But I am not in that part of the game yet. (And I'm not familiar with the alternate dimension Spider-Man stuff.)

I do know that MJ so far has been real nasty in this game. Granted I don't know why their relationship went sour but Peter must have done something horrible to her. XD The whole 'partner' thing seemed a little weird like they could have just worked together and not make it all awkward like that. Like the devs had a meeting in which they decided they had to make her seem more than supportive and be on even levels, and had to make that very clear to the player, even though she is still a human reporter who doesn't understand the risks she takes. So in that sense she kinda falls apart and comes across more as manipulative than your stereotypical good person, which I guess is in fashion these days. And that's fine. I think manipulative characters can be cool and can make someone more real. They're not likeable though. And I don't think MJ is a likeable character in this game.

Ok Where I'm notw it seems she does turn around which is unexpected and very nice.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#42  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19582 Posts

@ivangrozny said:

Spider-Man has always been depicted as young and geeky. He's not supposed to look older or tougher. That's partly what distinguishes Spidey from other superheroes like Batman, Iron-Man, Captain America, or Superman (although Clark Kent is also geeky). And that's also partly what makes Spider-Man the most popular superhero.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I normally don't like new characters taking over established roles, so no thanks.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Spiderman has been a pig before so this should not be news. Also, Spiderman is a fictional character.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Why do you care?

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

. Not entirely convinced he will be an interesting replacement for Peter Parker. I didn't mind Miles as a geeky sidekick though, but as a spiderman, he kinda doesn't fit

you do know that peter started off as geek, you do know that their are a bunch of alternate spider-man, you do know that Miles is a separate series, but why don’t you come out and say what you really wanted to say and that you can’t imagine their is a Spider-Man that isn’t white. im not going to accuse you for being A racist, but in my opinion you come off as a closet racist ?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20125 Posts
@ivangrozny said:

PS. I know my thread may sound weird when worded like that, but, honestly, i just had wanted to avoid spoilers. I didn't know Miles was already famous. I have never heard about Miles before. It's not about race. I don't know how strong his character was in the comics, but in the game Miles as a character looked to me as a weak sauce honestly. Not entirely convinced he will be an interesting replacement for Peter Parker. I didn't mind Miles as a geeky sidekick though, but as a spiderman, he kinda doesn't fit.

You can't say it's not about race while opening the thread asking if people are ok with a Spiderman of a different race.

So far I like Miles and it had nothing to do with his race. He's a tech nerd with spider powers and a character who has to deal with the pain of losing his dad, much like Peter. I'm looking forward to his character development.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20125 Posts
@lundy86_4 said:

Do you mean a well-established character, that they actually brought into the main universe/timeline? Yeah, sure. Miles is an established character... If they made Peter black, then that would be dumb as shit.

Yeah that's a different conversation.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@ivangrozny said:

It's not about race.

"So Black Spiderman is incoming"

But you made it about race...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Yeah that's a different conversation.

Also I like to point things out that successor characters outside of race works well in the Marvel realm then forcing the main character race/sex changes. Take Captain America for example, his partner Falcon later on took the mantle Captain America and became Captain Falcon in the Marvel comics. Same with Iron-Man now.