Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

You don't have to pay $60....that's for suckers.

I just renewed for $40 from guy on ebay. Free shipping too.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@funkmaster1233 said:
@inb4uall said:

Both sony and M$ should drop their sub fees. I refuse to pay for ethir on principle. It's part of the reason I switched to PC.

If you refuse to pay $40 a year for online (you also get free games with PSN+ and Gold every month) then I bet that you pirate everything you can on the PC.

No I buy things on steam sales. Also LOL at getting "free" games that you pay for.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I really do think that would turn the tables for MS. I'm interested in an X1, but the idea that I still have to pay $60 just to pay online is a turn off. At least with PS+ Sony lets you play latest games at no additional cost. You also get discounts and cool features like share play. Imagine if MS came out of no where and offered Live for free? That would teach the dirty rotten cows in this forum to doubt MS. What do you think, SW? Good idea?

"Latest games at no additional cost"? I like your definition of "latest".

Also, Games with Gold is the same thing. You should read a comparison or two.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I got a ps4 and wiiu. I'm thinking of getting rid of the ps4 in favor of xbox one. I've got a 20gig xbox non hdmi that somehow still meets the criteria to receive the 100 bonus--so scoring an X1 for 250 is a pretty good bargain.

As for the topic I have a feeling MS is going to reduce the yearly fee, at the least. Or, somehow make some deal with Netflix/hulu/amazon where their video service is included in the cost and/or exclusive.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#55 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I would love for both Sony and Microsoft to get rid of the paywall but that's not going to happen. Millions of people (myself included) gladly pay the fees to use the online network of these consoles. It's basically printing money for Sony and Microsoft. There is no logical reason for them to get rid of it.

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57 funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:
@inb4uall said:

Both sony and M$ should drop their sub fees. I refuse to pay for ethir on principle. It's part of the reason I switched to PC.

If you refuse to pay £24.83 a year for online (you also get free games with PSN+ and Gold every month) then I bet that you pirate everything you can on the PC.

No I buy things on steam sales. Also LOL at getting "free" games that you pay for.

You aren't paying for the games every month, you're paying to play online or use other services. For some reason it doesn't bother me paying for something that I use on a near daily basis and it ends up being cheaper than one beer per month.

david61983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 david61983
Member since 2013 • 288 Posts

I don't think MS is smart enough to do such a thing, but if they did make XBL free it would be a game changer. The need something like this to compete with Sony. A price drop making the Xbone $100 cheaper than PS4 would work too.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10619 Posts

@RR360DD said:

@ermacness said:

@RR360DD said:

How is shareplay a cool feature?

Its limited to 60 minutes.

Its not only dependent on your own internet connection, but your friends as well.

No save support

No trophy support

Resolution is capped at 720p (Oh noez how will cows cope) and will dip depending on you connection

Even Sony don't sound too confident in it

""We are not going to [disclose a minimum speed] because if we say, for example, you need at least a 3MB speed, I cannot guarantee if it works [even if they have that speed]," SCEE product planning manager Kazuhiro Yanase explained to VideoGamer.com. "The internet environment is really different user by user. For example, some users will be using a LAN cable, some users will be using Wi-Fi, sometimes you use the microwave in your house. Something like that. It's very difficult for us to guarantee you can use Share Play if you have [a certain] speed. That's the reason why we are not going to disclose any specific number. But again, this doesn't require any super-fast broadband."

LOL It sounds about as useful as PS Home.

Dem tears doe!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!

I'm willing to place a bet that MS will follow sony and put something a kin to this for the X1 in the future, especially if it takes off.

I hope they do. Then we'll get a service that actually works.

Like XBL service ALWAYS works. Don't forget that all the updates at the beginning of the year from MS was them fixing the mess that was dubbed: Party Chat.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:

Now that Playstation has implemented online multiplayer fees with PS4, there's less pressure on Microsoft to drop their fees. And if the $60 cost on Xone is a turn off for you, is this not the same with PS4?

That's not his reason for not buying the X1. You pay to play online with each now.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

I don't really know what you mean by omitting the fact the only thing psn offers now that xbox live doesn't is the play and share which is quite a shit service.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker said:

I don't really know what you mean by omitting the fact the only thing psn offers now that xbox live doesn't is the play and share which is quite a shit service.

Say the lemming who hyped useless party chat last gen as something worth paying $60 for,stay in your cave..

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 inb4uall

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:
@inb4uall said:

If you refuse to pay £24.83 a year for online (you also get free games with PSN+ and Gold every month) then I bet that you pirate everything you can on the PC.

You aren't paying for the games every month, you're paying to play online or use other services. For some reason it doesn't bother me paying for something that I use on a near daily basis and it ends up being cheaper than one beer per month.

I'd rather spend that $50 a year on steam sales. And its the principle. If you show them you're okay with it then things will just get worse. You have to vote with your wallet instead of letting them walk all over you. But if you're fine with being someones bitch then by all means don't let me stop you.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I don't mind paying for it, it costs crap all over a year, I pay NZD$ 130 a month for phone and net, NZD $150 a month for power, then rent at over $400 a week, why the hell would $60 for Live worry me.

Mr_Huggles_hog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Mr_Huggles_hog
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Microsoft and Sony already charge enough for these consoles, games, and accessories. Both of them should make online play free for everyone and just move the monthly "free" games to a separate service.

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#66  Edited By hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

no, im happy our money keeps our banks secure.

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By funkmaster1233

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:
@inb4uall said:

I'd rather spend that $40 a year on steam sales. And its the principle. If you show them you're okay with it then things will just get worse. You have to vote with your wallet instead of letting them walk all over you. But if you're fine with being someones bitch then by all means don't let me stop you.

Things have gotten better though. Live has gotten cheaper since its launch in 2002 (unless you're a bitch that gets walked all over and you pay directly through them) and you also now get free games every month (you didn't used to). I'm sure you have bought plenty of games through humble bundle/steam sales that you have no intention of ever playing but that probably doesn't bother you at all.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 inb4uall

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:
@inb4uall said:

I'd rather spend that $40 a year on steam sales. And its the principle. If you show them you're okay with it then things will just get worse. You have to vote with your wallet instead of letting them walk all over you. But if you're fine with being someones bitch then by all means don't let me stop you.

Things have gotten better though. Live has gotten cheaper since its launch in 2002 (unless you're a bitch that gets walked all over and you pay directly through them) and you also now get free games every month (you didn't used to). I'm sure you have bought plenty of games through humble bundle/steam sales that you have no intention of ever playing but that probably doesn't bother you at all.

I own 43 steam games and I have played every single one. Regardless, even if I had bought games I didn't intend to play, buying steam games I didn't intend to play wouldn't support a business practice I disagree with but rather show my support for steam sales. There is a difference. The only reason things have gotten slightly better is Sony improving their online. It's not because M$ just decided to be nice. It's because they had to because PS+ was making XBL look like a joke. Unfortunately PSN now has fees because like I said, idiots willing to pay for XBL have shown Sony that online fees are something that people will pay for.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

For the amount of ads you're getting on XBL, MS should be paying YOU to brown through all of that crap

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

lol let just hope they don't raise the price in competition with sony.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Yes and no. No they should keep the XBLG fee, but they should include in each game a 3 or month voucher for XBLG, and 2 weeks or 1 month for each digital arcade title (depending on price). This will help up the attach rate for each game they sell and promote new game sales over used. When you think about it, the Xbox 360 and PS3 achieved attach rates of about 10 games per console. Using this strategy, MS could double that attach rate as people will continue buying new games to keep their XBLG up. This will have other added effects, such as increased publisher support, they respond to things like userbase that actually buys games for their system, and new copies to boot.

What they give up in subscription fees they can make up for in royalties.

I dont even know were to begin with this...

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#72 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

If they got rid of the fee then it would boost sales for them. They already cost more then PS+.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#73 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44575 Posts

@always_explicit said:

@lamprey263 said:

Yes and no. No they should keep the XBLG fee, but they should include in each game a 3 or month voucher for XBLG, and 2 weeks or 1 month for each digital arcade title (depending on price). This will help up the attach rate for each game they sell and promote new game sales over used. When you think about it, the Xbox 360 and PS3 achieved attach rates of about 10 games per console. Using this strategy, MS could double that attach rate as people will continue buying new games to keep their XBLG up. This will have other added effects, such as increased publisher support, they respond to things like userbase that actually buys games for their system, and new copies to boot.

Well, I'll break it down for you, I'm asserting:

• New phsycial/digital copies of games should apply toward rewarding gamers with extended XBLG subscription service.
  • Gamers can avoid paying for subscription services outright by maintaining a moderate purchasing of games.
  • That MS should consider this because it'll help keep attach rates for games up, and this in turn will result in greater publisher support.
  • It'll promote the sale of new games over used.

So, what's your beef?

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

@always_explicit said:

@lamprey263 said:

Well, I'll break it down for you, I'm asserting:

• New phsycial/digital copies of games should apply toward rewarding gamers with extended XBLG subscription service.
  • Gamers can avoid paying for subscription services outright by maintaining a moderate purchasing of games.
  • That MS should consider this because it'll help keep attach rates for games up, and this in turn will result in greater publisher support.
  • It'll promote the sale of new games over used.

So, what's your beef?

My beef is that it seems daft to push the consumer towards purchasing a product they may not particularly want (the game) in order to continue the service (live) they do want.

Also who maintains the service?

You would be rewarding devs and publishers by buying the title's and dumping the multiplayer constraints on MS servers, which in your scenario is no longer being paid for by anyone, instead its being given as a free gift for purchasing a title...the profits of which MS doesnt even see.

The basis of your idea seems to stem on the gamer juggling product and services in an unnecessary convoluted manner. Its far easier to simply buy a subscription for x amount of months and purchase the games you want when you want on the understanding that the service will still be valid.

MS already include 1 month gold cards with new console bundles and some games, this is to highlight the benefits of the service they offer so people continue to pay for it. Attatch rates are not the business of the LIVE network service, their focus is on maintaining a great online experience. Its the jobs of devs to make sure attach rates are high by making great games.

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 funkmaster1233

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:
@inb4uall said:

I'd rather spend that £24.84 a year on steam sales. And its the principle. If you show them you're okay with it then things will just get worse. You have to vote with your wallet instead of letting them walk all over you. But if you're fine with being someones bitch then by all means don't let me stop you.

I own 43 steam games and I have played every single one. Regardless, even if I had bought games I didn't intend to play, buying steam games I didn't intend to play wouldn't support a business practice I disagree with but rather show my support for steam sales. There is a difference. The only reason things have gotten slightly better is Sony improving their online. It's not because M$ just decided to be nice. It's because they had to because PS+ was making XBL look like a joke. Unfortunately PSN now has fees because like I said, idiots willing to pay for XBL have shown Sony that online fees are something that people will pay for.

It took PSN years to catch up to XBL with everything other than giving out free games and we all know that Nintendo's online service is inferior to a 2002 version of XBox Live. You still end up saving money if you do sign up to PS+ and Gold so that's another reason why a vast majority of people don't give a shit.

Steam Sales and Humble Bundle are A LOT worse for the gaming industry than spending £2 a month for Gold or PSN+. There is no point buying Steam games at release anymore.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By inb4uall

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:
@inb4uall said:

I'd rather spend that £24.84 a year on steam sales. And its the principle. If you show them you're okay with it then things will just get worse. You have to vote with your wallet instead of letting them walk all over you. But if you're fine with being someones bitch then by all means don't let me stop you.

It took PSN years to catch up to XBL with everything other than giving out free games and we all know that Nintendo's online service is inferior to a 2002 version of XBox Live. You still end up saving money if you do sign up to PS+ and Gold so that's another reason why a vast majority of people don't give a shit.

Steam Sales and Humble Bundle are A LOT worse for the gaming industry than spending £2 a month for Gold or PSN+. There is no point buying Steam games at release anymore.

Steam sales are good for me the consumer where as PSN and XBL fees are not. That's what I care about. Me the consumer. Not some big company that sold me their hunk of plastic that only lets you play online with other if they give you their permission.

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By funkmaster1233

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:
@inb4uall said:

Steam sales are good for me the consumer where as PSN and XBL fees are not. That's what I care about. Me the consumer. Not some big company that sold me their hunk of plastic that only lets you play online with other if they give you their permission.

Okay. I take it you feel the same way about health care, school fees and internet prices etc in the US.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 inb4uall

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:
@inb4uall said:

Okay. I take it you feel the same way about health care, school fees and internet prices etc in the US.

This conversation and forum are about gaming. If you want to talk about things besides gaming I suggest you go somewhere else.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I mean.. how would you lead into that one. How does one step into a meeting and bring that up?

"So guys, I've put a lot of thought into this, and I've decided that we should stop printing money."

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 funkmaster1233

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:
@inb4uall said:

This conversation and forum are about gaming. If you want to talk about things besides gaming I suggest you go somewhere else.

I don't want to talk about them but we are discussing money. If XBL and PSN+ fees aren't good for the consumer then neither is owning a console..

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 inb4uall

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:
@inb4uall said:

I don't want to talk about them but we are discussing money. If XBL and PSN+ fees aren't good for the consumer then neither is owning a console..

I leave you to make your own conclusions.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#82 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

It would be great if all services were free. But given that Sony took a page from Microsoft's book of charging to play online, I'd say Microsoft won that race. PS+ does offer more incentives, true... but paying for online is paying for online, and I don't see it going away any time soon on Sony or MS's platforms. At least neither one is as craptacular as the free WiiU online model.

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By funkmaster1233

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@inb4uall said:

@funkmaster1233 said:
@inb4uall said:

I leave you to make your own conclusions.

Do you own a 360, One, PS3 or PS4?

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Microsoft is first and foremost a business. Don't expect free XBL anytime soon.

They use these fees to make everything run like it should unlike PSN that is a free service that suddenly started charging people.

I pay the full $60 every year because I tell Microsoft to "TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!" and I do it with a smile.

Thank you Phil.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#85  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

If people didnt pay for it then I have no doubt that XBOX Live would still be there without the fee. M$ probably make more off the ads then they do subscription fees.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#86 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

By the looks of it, it's not going to happen any time soon.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

This question is maybe pointed in the wrong direction. Check to see if your pointing finger is broke. Check all 5 on the end of that club.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By kinectthedots

If it happened, I would literally go out and buy an xbox one today.

But MS isn't going to abandon the one free money sponging tactic they've been able to make most people accept as "OK" since entering the console industry. Just look at how many people defend it in this thread; that in itself is what convinced Sony to take a little slack off their backs and add a charge too.

It's comical how idiotic people look defending M$ on this when "poor/near bankrupt" Sony did it for an entire generation EVEN when the system itself looked to be in a grim situation.

It is funny that regardless of all the changes Sony felt they needed to do with PS3 last gen in efforts to cut costs and save money..the "cost" of maintaining and updating the online service was never EVER even mentioned. Add to the the fact that basically every service XBL had PSN received with updates except party chat, and you begin to realize that M$ needing to charge to uphold the "quality" of the service is extremely exaggerated.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

If it happened, I would literally go out and buy an xbox one today.

But MS isn't going to abandon the one free money sponging tactic they've been able to make most people accept as "OK" since entering the console industry. Just look at how many people defend it in this thread; that in itself is what convinced Sony to take a little slack off their backs and add a charge too.

It's comical how idiotic people look defending M$ on this when "poor/near bankrupt" Sony did it for an entire generation EVEN when the system itself looked to be in a grim situation.

It is funny that regardless of all the changes Sony felt they needed to do with PS3 last gen in efforts to cut costs and save money..the "cost" of maintaining and updating the online service was never EVER even mentioned. Add to the the fact that basically every service XBL had PSN received with updates except party chat, and you begin to realize that M$ needing to charge to uphold the "quality" of the service is extremely exaggerated.

How hard is it to feed a couple hamsters?

I mean really?

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#90 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts

I wish they made XBL for 360 free, There is no way im paying again to play some old games i have -_-

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By kinectthedots

@murat8 said:

I wish they made XBL for 360 free, There is no way im paying again to play some old games i have -_-

Thinking about the fact that there are millions of subscribers, and the fact that Sony did it for an entire generation for free ( all while providing more dedicated servers for exclusives) the most MS or any company should as for online like these is $15. That is probably the price Sony would have naturally came up with if they needed to charge if they didn't have MS's pricing structure to work off of.

Think Sony went from Free straight to $50, lolz. Honestly neither of them should charge to play online at all, but the most they probably need from each customer to actually maintain upkeep is $10. Remember, you are multiplying that number by millions, but all it is doing really is lining executive's pockets.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By kinectthedots

Here is an interesting article on this very topic

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/04/20/always-on-microsoft-xbox-live-subscriptions-up-to-46m-will-never-be-free/

from 2013 and says there were 46 million XBL accounts.

let's estimate and say that half of them are paid that's 23 million.

Now a little math. 23m sub x (let's estimate based on discounts) $45 per account = 1035000000 PER YEAR! yeah..for maintenance and upkeep.

Now take into account that MS has been charging this fee every year since 2 generations ago and ask yourself did it really require $50 per year ($1035000000) with the level online that the original xbox offered? That answer would be the same as now.