Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the best TR in a long time.

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@jcrame10 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

We do agree that the combat and gameplay is better in the TR games, though.

no its not. i disliked but come on. tomb raider is worst in gameplay than uncharted in every way. the gunplay in TR is abysmal. like worst of all time.

So, the gunplay is worse than the new Wolfenstein games? Interesting.

TLOU has more weight in the gunplay. It just FEELS good shooting the revolver or shotgun or burst rifle. The TLOU MP is the greatest thing ever which is more that can be said for TR or Uncharted's MP offerings which were never as good.

FYI: Dragon doesn't own a PS4!

All of his "experience" with those games are let's plays from YouTube.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@tgob89 said:
@jcrame10 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

no its not. i disliked but come on. tomb raider is worst in gameplay than uncharted in every way. the gunplay in TR is abysmal. like worst of all time.

So, the gunplay is worse than the new Wolfenstein games? Interesting.

TLOU has more weight in the gunplay. It just FEELS good shooting the revolver or shotgun or burst rifle. The TLOU MP is the greatest thing ever which is more that can be said for TR or Uncharted's MP offerings which were never as good.

FYI: Dragon doesn't own a PS4!

All of his "experience" with those games are let's plays from YouTube.

I have a PS3 with the aformentioned games, but thanks for your concern. ;)

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: TLOU, Uncharted, TR all feel and play much bettter on PS4.

I can’t stand the PS3 controller after playing PS4 for so long now

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@jcrame10 said:

@DragonfireXZ95: uncharted story is more fun and well developed though. Better characters. Tomb Raider stories just kind of...exist. The best one with the best characters is still the very first game.

Uncharted characters are basically just copy cats of movies like Sahara and Indiana Jones. You are right, technically, they are better than the Tomb Raider characters, but they are still cliche derivatives.

Uncharted has better combat. There's more motion, more verticality and the arenas are bigger. You're jumping and climbing during combat, the melees are quicker and I prefer picking up random guns. I also miss running and gunning with hipfire. Uncharted's hipfire has low accuracy at a distance, but at least it has the option, unlike the new Tomb Raiders. Tomb Raider is far too stiff overall. I put together this comparison video earlier in the year:

Loading Video...

I realize I didn't use all of Lara's abilities, but the Uncharted parts would still have more going on anyway. I didn't use any stealth because it was just a combat comparison.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

Great review. Actually now inclined to get the game and try it myself.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@jcrame10 said:

@DragonfireXZ95: uncharted story is more fun and well developed though. Better characters. Tomb Raider stories just kind of...exist. The best one with the best characters is still the very first game.

Uncharted characters are basically just copy cats of movies like Sahara and Indiana Jones. You are right, technically, they are better than the Tomb Raider characters, but they are still cliche derivatives.

Uncharted has better combat. There's more motion, more verticality and the arenas are bigger. You're jumping and climbing during combat, the melees are quicker and I prefer picking up random guns. I also miss running and gunning with hipfire. Uncharted's hipfire has low accuracy at a distance, but at least it has the option, unlike the new Tomb Raiders. Tomb Raider is far too stiff overall. I put together this comparison video earlier in the year:

I realize I didn't use all of Lara's abilities, but the Uncharted parts would still have more going on anyway. I didn't use any stealth because it was just a combat comparison.

Its simple for me if you were to make a better combination of these games you would do this. Gun mechanics feel of TR (you could see the difference in that video. UC shooting mechanics have always been all over the place. Howerver there more work to stuff like recoils in UC4. Its just the aiming sucks. UC4 lacks good pacing but gameplay improved a lot), Exploration because you spend a lot of time doing this TR (Tomb raiding and lara utilises her tools better. UC is not even close to TR on this). Enemy encounters UC4 (borrows from TLOU with combination of all whats said above). Character story UC series (Lara needs those ND writer for f**k sake.). The closest games to complete this is UC LL (The prolbem is its half expansion half game that borrows the greatest hits from previous games. They also still have not fixed the aiming. Game needs to be 60fps maybe. That one large exploration area to which you actually solve environmental puzzles and get an item that adds to gameplay was almost TR like) Finally all of these games could use better AI.

Overall TR has the better gameplay because of exploration IMO. These games need this more then the shooting stuff. UC4 decided to do nothing on this front.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@ellos said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@jcrame10 said:

Its simple for me if you were to make a better combination of these games you would do this. Gun mechanics feel of TR (you could see the difference in that video. UC shooting mechanics have always been all over the place. Howerver there more work to stuff like recoils in UC4. Its just the aiming sucks. UC4 lacks good pacing but gameplay improved a lot), Exploration because you spend a lot of time doing this TR (Tomb raiding and lara utilises her tools better. UC is not even close to TR on this). Enemy encounters UC4 (borrows from TLOU with combination of all whats said above). Character story UC series (Lara needs those ND writer for f**k sake.). The closest games to complete this is UC LL (The prolbem is its half expansion half game that borrows the greatest hits from previous games. They also still have not fixed the aiming. Game needs to be 60fps maybe. That one large exploration area to which you actually solve environmental puzzles and get an item that adds to gameplay was almost TR like) Finally all of these games could use better AI.

Overall TR has the better gameplay because of exploration IMO. These games need this more then the shooting stuff. UC4 decided to do nothing on this front.

Not sure what you're going on about with Uncharted 4's aiming. Red Dead 2 has bad aiming. Uncharted's is fine, for a controller. Tomb Raider's exploration is underwhelming. Collecting doesn't make good exploration. It can enhance it, but there needs to be a good core already in place. The platforming mechanics of the reboots are too simplistic and automated. Too many of the puzzles involve boring axe climbing. Uncharted gets the edge for being better in other areas, including combat. Tomb Raider should go back to being Tomb Raider.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#108  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
@davillain- said:
@jcrame10 said:

@Cloud_imperium: PS4 for me. The game lags and chugs in certain areas especially the hubs.

Well then, that's the problem right their. You played it on the console version over PC. Bad mistake.

And I didn't even play it on DX12 API which gives the game huge performance boost. Since my wifi doesn't work on Win10, so I was forced to play on DX11 (on Win 7), yet I had almost no issues on PC. But it's understandable if it didn't run well on Consoles as the game was built from ground up for DX12 and high end PCs.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#109 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

I expected so much animation improvement closer to Uncharted 4. What a letdown in that department. The combat was very weird, like lara teleporting in and out of animations and ai baiting is really weird too specially later in the game where you meet newer types.

Was a fun ride still. We don't have enough games like these IMO.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@jcrame10 said:

TLOU, Uncharted, TR all feel and play much bettter on PS4.

I can’t stand the PS3 controller after playing PS4 for so long now

That's why I got a 3rd party 360-style controller for the PS3. It's wonderful when used in the Uncharted games.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@jcrame10 said:

Loading Video...

Uncharted is a cover shooter, Tomb Raider is not. Plus there are way more enemies than humans with guns in TR.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I liked the game, but Rise is the better game. The most annoying thing about Shadow is when you die (playing it on the hardest difficulty) the game nearly always takes you back to just before a cutscene that you cannot skip, which is insanely stupid and made me hate the game for periods of time.

Shadow looks better but just about everything else Rise did better. I found Shadows gameplay to be a little bit on the been there done that side of things & when it came to weapons i mostly only ever stuck to the bow or shotgun, where as with Rise I used a mix of weapons depending on the level, and the "upgrades" for Lara herself felt like they mostly never worked or to say that you never really noticed them too much.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@jcrame10 said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@jcrame10 said:

Loading Video...

Uncharted is a cover shooter, Tomb Raider is not. Plus there are way more enemies than humans with guns in TR.

Don't see what your point is. I barely used cover in my video. Also, Tomb Raider does have a cover mechanic. It's just automatic.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
@Epak_ said:

Bullshit, Rise was miles better.

This. In fact:

Rise > TR >> Shadow

For some reason, i bought Shadow, having loved the last two games, and i find shadow to be a huge step backwards for the series. The animations are stiff and cut in odd ways between them. The shooting mechanics feels like the old school TR games, which was horrendous. The graphics have definitely taken a hit also, with lower res textures and level design that once again looks like barricaded linear paths with little tree style offshoots. I played like 5 hours and then quit of boredom.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

A bit old for a bump.