Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the best TR in a long time.

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Cloud_imperium (14957 posts) -

Just finished playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and can't believe how much it's different than the last two games. Sure a lot of core mechanics are same but everything else has been changed. Eidos Montreal did the right by targeting darker tone unlike the last two games. Lara is also a grown up now, and I haven't heard her whine about anything even once in an entire game. Her voice is heavier and isn't annoying like the last two games either. Another thing that this game brought to the table was the good story and storytelling which lacked in the last two games. Characterization is hugely improved. Graphics are one of the best and I really liked the addition of hub worlds with side quests. These quests are well crafted and are like mini stories on their own.

It not only adds more to the lore of the world but also rewards you with rare items, new abilities, skill points and gear. Tombs are designed really well and you can turn on the difficulty which hides almost all the hints from gameplay (including detective vision until you unlock certain abilities in skill tree towards the end of the game when things are happening faster), so you are left on your own to observe environment and solve those puzzles to proceed. Each tomb brings its own unique flavor with it, unlike the last two games where most of the puzzles were about shooting rope arrows and moving crates. Clothing is not just some after thought skin stuff for style either. Each dress has its own pros and cons just like some streamlined version of armors in an RPG. Enemy encounters are brilliant. Most of the game is about hiding in bushes, covering your body with mud to make it difficult for enemies to spot you, becoming a predator and solving puzzles, but every once in awhile you have to take on enemies directly and these encounters are few but well crafted.

Overall, it was a great experience. Definitely much better than Rise of the Tomb Raider which was full of mindless set pieces, pushing crates and had whiny Lara who just had to do everything as if she was entitled to do so. This time she has to do it because she messes everything up in the first place and gets attached to likable characters around her. Set pieces are also part of the story this time. They are few but they are necessary to progress the main plot. Not to mention, the main antagonist was also a three dimensional character. His faction was not shown as some chaotic evil. They were all trying to save mankind but each character had his or her own vision to achieve that goal.

PS: The game is also a lot more difficult, and you'll die a lot. Keep using performance enhancing drugs to keep odds in your favor.

#2 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10539 posts) -

Well TR reboot and rise of are so bad so bad that i even forgot this game exist at all. its also got lowest reviews of all of trilogy.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#3 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (5747 posts) -

I loved it, but I think I liked Rise just a little bit more. I had the difficulty set to hard(can't remember the name now), but I never found it particularly difficult. I don't recall ever using any of the performance enhancers either. I kinda wished there were more action sections. You spend all this time upgrading weapons and buying them, but don't get to use them much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
#4 Posted by deactivated-5c18005f903a1 (4626 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

Well TR reboot and rise of are so bad so bad that i even forgot this game exist at all. its also got lowest reviews of all of trilogy.

Not as bad as some of the original series.

#5 Edited by Epak_ (10713 posts) -

Bullshit, Rise was miles better.

#6 Edited by jcrame10 (5204 posts) -

It’s a great game, feels like old school tomb raider. It’s just a shame the production on it is crap- bad frame rates at times, glitchy, bad facial and mouth movements, graphics at par or even below rise of the tomb raider

I hope Crystal Dynamics returns for the next one because Eidos Montreal has proven to be the inferior developer

#7 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10539 posts) -

@boycie said:
@ghosts4ever said:

control wise original are far worse. i agree partially but newer games are just bad in every way.

#8 Posted by SecretPolice (35358 posts) -

@Epak_ said:

Yeah, I was surprised by this and figured I'll wait to see what others say because your feelings on it is what I always heard. I'll wait until it hits GamePass to determine what I think about it. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
#9 Posted by deactivated-5c18005f903a1 (4626 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:
@boycie said:
@ghosts4ever said:

control wise original are far worse. i agree partially but newer games are just bad in every way.

I enjoyed the first for what it was. Not played the others yet though.

#10 Posted by Epak_ (10713 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:
@Epak_ said:

Yeah, I was surprised by this and figured I'll wait to see what others say because your feelings on it is what I always heard. I'll wait until it hits GamePass to determine what I think about it. :P

Different team made the difference I guess, it also has performance issues although I played it on the X.

#11 Posted by DaVillain- (37975 posts) -

Sorry Cloud_imperium, but I prefer Rise of the Tomb Raider to be so much better then Shadow of the Tomb Raider but that's just my opinion on it though.

Rise of the Tomb Raider>Tomb Raider 2013>Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

#12 Edited by cdragon_88 (1627 posts) -

Lara never whined in Shadow? Hmm....maybe I must have watched the wrong game on Youtube a couple months back...................

#13 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14957 posts) -

@jcrame10: Had no such issues on my PC, apart from minor sound glitches.

#14 Posted by jcrame10 (5204 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium: PS4 for me. The game lags and chugs in certain areas especially the hubs. I’ve ready about people having control problems especially with climbing and swinging but I haven’t had any of those types of issues

#15 Edited by DaVillain- (37975 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:

@Cloud_imperium: PS4 for me. The game lags and chugs in certain areas especially the hubs.

Well then, that's the problem right their. You played it on the console version over PC. Bad mistake.

#16 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10539 posts) -

@boycie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@boycie said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I enjoyed the first for what it was. Not played the others yet though.

its kinda sad for eidos montreal instead of working on next Deus Ex and complete the trilogy. they gone for shitty tomb raider game.

when this studio released Deus Ex HR in 2011. it become one of my fav developer. now they are just bad.

#17 Posted by jcrame10 (5204 posts) -

@davillain-: base PS4 too

#18 Edited by DaVillain- (37975 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:

@davillain-: base PS4 too

Don't feel bad, I still have my base PS4 as well. But the machine is getting louder when I'm playing newer heavy AAA exclusive games like God of War, I may have to buy a Pro at the earliest next year I'm afraid :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
#19 Posted by deactivated-5c56012aaa167 (2538 posts) -

The only new generation Tomb Raider game that I have played was Tomb Raider 2013 which was one of the most disappointing games that I've ever finished.(The whole game was just set pieces and gun fighting with regenerating HP. Lara's character was also pretty awful and without any acrobatic moves.)

I'm playing original 2 these days and it is a much better game than that.(The only issue I have with 2 is that it feels more like an expansion to original 1 than a sequel. It didn't improve the formula that much.)

#20 Posted by Pedro (35597 posts) -

At the moment the game is beautiful. It looks just freaking amazing. But I am tired of the cutscenes and I am tired of Lara moaning and groaning over and over again. I was even more appalled that these folks thought it would be of original thought to have a kid Lara section. Are you freaking kidding me. It didn't work well with UC why include it here. Also they have this annoying mechanic that was also copied from UC where you need to interact with things with two people. I want to adventure by myself not with a companion. This is all early in the game and these elements have halted my desire to continue in addition to the story typically sucking.

#21 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31580 posts) -

Rise and Shadow are easily the best TR games for me.

#22 Edited by nepu7supastar7 (5187 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium:

I agree! It is the best TR in a long time! It took a while but Tomb Raider feels like Tomb Raider again.

#23 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1782 posts) -

The demo was as mediocre as either of the previous games. The combat is still very simplistic, stiff and boring. The setpieces are still stupid and the platforming is braindead. Lara is pretty, but still unlikable. I can only hope now that this reboot series is over Tomb Raider can start being fun again. But that's pretty wishful thinking. Really wish people stopped buying so much shit.

#24 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2512 posts) -

@Pedro: What didn't work about the kid part of UC3? Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it didn't work. It added depth to the story and explained why tf Sully and Drake are even together in the first place. I saw no issue with it and it was short anyway.

#25 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10539 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:

The demo was as mediocre as either of the previous games. The combat is still very simplistic, stiff and boring. The setpieces are still stupid and the platforming is braindead. Lara is pretty, but still unlikable. I can only hope now that this reboot series is over Tomb Raider can start being fun again. But that's pretty wishful thinking. Really wish people stopped buying so much shit.

luckily it didnot sold enough.

infact sales were down compare to previous 2. and square enix put tomb raider to rest now.

#26 Posted by Pedro (35597 posts) -

@valgaav_219 said:

@Pedro: What didn't work about the kid part of UC3? Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it didn't work. It added depth to the story and explained why tf Sully and Drake are even together in the first place. I saw no issue with it and it was short anyway.

They negatively affected the pacing of the game for me. It broke away from the natural flow of the game. Just because you like it doesn't mean it work. ;)

#27 Posted by kingoftheapes (28 posts) -

my friends has been talking about this for a while now. is it a must-buy?

#28 Posted by with_teeth26 (9616 posts) -

I really enjoyed the first half, but thought it bogged down a bit when you get to that big city.

still really enjoyed it overall. I'd rank them 2013 > Shadow > Rise

Rise just had my least favourite setting and none of the story elements were interesting. I was able to at least enjoy some aspects of the story in the 2013 game and Shadow. 2013 is the best paced and had the best encounter design imo

#29 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79379 posts) -
@Pedro said:

At the moment the game is beautiful. It looks just freaking amazing. But I am tired of the cutscenes and I am tired of Lara moaning and groaning over and over again. I was even more appalled that these folks thought it would be of original thought to have a kid Lara section. Are you freaking kidding me. It didn't work well with UC why include it here. Also they have this annoying mechanic that was also copied from UC where you need to interact with things with two people. I want to adventure by myself not with a companion. This is all early in the game and these elements have halted my desire to continue in addition to the story typically sucking.

Uncharted copied a lot of Tomb Raider. The new Tomb Raiders copied a lot of Uncharted. Circle of life.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
#30 Posted by deactivated-5c56012aaa167 (2538 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:

A pity that Crystal Dynamic has failed much more compared to Core Design and yet they can still keep the ip they didn't create in the first place.

#31 Posted by Pedro (35597 posts) -

@JustPlainLucas said:
@Pedro said:

Uncharted copied a lot of Tomb Raider. The new Tomb Raiders copied a lot of Uncharted. Circle of life.

I am aware of this and fine with it when they copy the good things. :)

#32 Posted by warmblur (2973 posts) -

I highly disagree it's the worst out all of them for me the 2013 reboot is easily the best.

#33 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2512 posts) -

@Pedro: I guess I'll have to disagree with you. If you say the game is linear, has bullet sponge enemies, and sticks to the same formula time and time again I'll agree with you 100% but I see no issues with any of the games stories or pacing. I think their writers are great. I just wonder how it broke the pacing for you when it's at the very beginning of the game. At that point the pacing hasn't even started yet. It's not like you were forced to be kid Drake smack dab in the middle of the game lol

#34 Posted by Pedro (35597 posts) -

@valgaav_219 said:

@Pedro: I guess I'll have to disagree with you. If you say the game is linear, has bullet sponge enemies, and sticks to the same formula time and time again I'll agree with you 100% but I see no issues with any of the games stories or pacing. I think their writers are great. I just wonder how it broke the pacing for you when it's at the very beginning of the game. At that point the pacing hasn't even started yet. It's not like you were forced to be kid Drake smack dab in the middle of the game lol

Well I was force to be kid Drake at the very start. So the pacing as far as I am concerned for a UC game was already shot. :) Then they force you to be kid Drake again smack dabble in the "middle" for UC4. It continued with the bad design and pacing.

#35 Edited by lamprey263 (36204 posts) -

I felt let down by lack of combat, it was still a decent game, but I liked previous two games more.

The new mechanics would have been really cool to use too if there were more enemies to fight.

I haven't touched DLC yet but I hope they allow for combat challenges or make a challenge mode that does in future content.

#36 Posted by henrythefifth (2502 posts) -

Shadow of TR is excellent game, and the best lara on this gen.

I just loved the tough platforming challenges on the various tombs and temples. They started easy, but on the latter part of the game you really have to use all your wits to figure them out.

The puzzling on SoTR was SOOOO much better than the lacklustre and tedious puzzles we had to endure in GoW.

Combat and gameplay mechanics were perfect too, and so were the skill trees.

So, a perfect action adventure. Oh, and great looker too.

#37 Edited by phbz (4654 posts) -

I liked the game, my favourite TR.

#38 Posted by pdogg93 (1668 posts) -

The new tomb raiders are mediocre at best

#40 Posted by The-A-Baum (1370 posts) -

It's definitely on my list of games to play. I loved the first 2, but this one being done by the B team while the normal team is working on Avengers never struck me an early buy. Much like Wolfenstein 2 and Doom.

The stories don't change and if anything you get more content. Really don't get the hate about this series. They are lots of fun and multiplat.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#41 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29226 posts) -

This whole franchise reboot has been great.

#42 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31580 posts) -

@the-a-baum said:

It's definitely on my list of games to play. I loved the first 2, but this one being done by the B team while the normal team is working on Avengers never struck me an early buy. Much like Wolfenstein 2 and Doom.

The stories don't change and if anything you get more content. Really don't get the hate about this series. They are lots of fun and multiplat.

Wow you missed out on Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein 2 AND DOOM ?

Damn man, you missed a lot of great games in the past years.

#43 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31580 posts) -

@henrythefifth said:

So, a perfect action adventure. Oh, and great looker too.

Muddy Lara:

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
#44 Posted by deactivated-5d78760d7d740 (16386 posts) -

I'm going to buy the whole trilogy this winter sale. Looking forward to playing it over the holidays!

#45 Posted by Sushiglutton (7264 posts) -

Thanks for the tip. I had written off getting the game, but now I may pick it up. I thought the first reboot game was fantastic, but Rise didn't really evolve the franchise. Based on what I heard I thought Shadow was even worse. But that seems wrong then.

#46 Posted by JtoThaMtoThaP (1016 posts) -

Weird, I am not digging as much as the last 2...and it's a shame because I love these games.

#47 Posted by BassMan (10642 posts) -

I have been playing the game on and off between my BFV sessions. I am liking it a lot. I don't mind the moaning from Lara as she is hot and so is Camilla Luddington (the actress who does the performance capture). The game looks great for sure...

#48 Posted by The-A-Baum (1370 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@the-a-baum said:

Wow you missed out on Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein 2 AND DOOM ?

Damn man, you missed a lot of great games in the past years.

No just did not buy them day 1 at full price. To be honest still waiting on Tomb Raider GOTY edition, or when backlog is done whichever comes first. Still looking forward to it. I have a Mad crush on Camilla Ludington. (Actress that plays Lara in the game)

#49 Posted by tgob89 (2153 posts) -

lol PC fans and their praised mediocreplats.

The way you guys praise these uninspired games I really don't pity you.

#50 Posted by BassMan (10642 posts) -

@tgob89 said:

lol PC fans and their praised mediocreplats.

The way you guys praise these uninspired games I really don't pity you.