Serious question about Japanese games...

• 150 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Miketheman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Miketheman83
Member since 2010 • 3156 Posts

[QUOTE="Miketheman83"][QUOTE="rjdofu"] And they're better than whatever the hell Western devs come up with.rjdofu
Don't be so defensive bro. Just pointing out a fact. If American games had aol characters that looked Mexican prime would be like wtf. This is no different.

Fact my freaking @ss :lol:

You don't think the characters in Japanese games look more American than Asian? C'mon dude now your just being difficult. Does Mario look Asian to you? What about the little kid from pokemon?

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

Why do they mostly use an ethnic group other than their own (most Caucasions) as the main characters in their games. Is it because they feel white people are superior or is it a simple matter of trying to appeal to more consumers?

StrongBlackVine

Phrased incredibly poorly. Though I am surprised at SW for its display of faux-offence instead of answering the question.

edit: 

*Reads thread pages*

Okay, TC is being an ass.

Miketheman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Miketheman83
The TC makes a good point. I've always wondered this myself. The characters they make clearly aren't Asian.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

Is it because they feel white people are superior or is it a simple matter of trying to appeal to more consumers?

StrongBlackVine

I have officially lost all faith in this wretched place.

What is the reason? I don't see Western developers filling their games with Asians or blacks. I seriously want to know the reason. Why is Nintendo's biggest character an Italian?

get the fvck out
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 rjdofu
The TC makes a good point. I've always wondered this myself. The characters they make clearly aren't Asian.Miketheman83
And they're better than whatever the hell Western devs come up with.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#106 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Why do they mostly use an ethnic group other than their own (most Caucasions) as the main characters in their games. Is it because they feel white people are superior or is it a simple matter of trying to appeal to more consumers?

StrongBlackVine

It's no wonder people here have either insulted you, or added practically nothing to the subject (except sh*tting on Japan and generalizing the entire country, as usual for some of the people around System Wars that i can arguably compare to irrelevant strands of pubic hair). 

Instead of a stupid ass question, which is also trollish and reeks of missinformation on your part, why don't you provide a more informative and descriptive point of view so people can actually give you their opinion?  

Like, i don't know, providing some non-biased examples. More than 20, so we know that your exageration is not actually an exageration.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#107 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

I don't know in what world you live in but I have never seen a caucasian that looks like this:

Anime-anime-super-fan-30294881-805-1000.

StrongBlackVine

Look more Caucasian than Asian. Just a brunettee white girl with oversized eyes.

You know japanese people can have pretty light skin, right? Also, cartoons. Why are the Simpsons yellow?

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 rjdofu

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

I don't know in what world you live in but I have never seen a caucasian that looks like this:

Anime-anime-super-fan-30294881-805-1000.

the_bi99man

Look more Caucasian than Asian. Just a brunettee white girl with oversized eyes.

You know japanese people can have pretty light skin, right? Also, cartoons. Why are the Simpsons yellow?

Checkmate.
Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#109 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

Japanese games are hella cool, i wished more people would stop judging it, and just try it instead, they are missing out :oops:

Miketheman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Miketheman83
[QUOTE="Miketheman83"]The TC makes a good point. I've always wondered this myself. The characters they make clearly aren't Asian.rjdofu

Don't be so defensive bro. Just pointing out a fact. If American games had aol characters that looked Mexican prime would be like wtf. This is no different.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 rjdofu
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="Miketheman83"]The TC makes a good point. I've always wondered this myself. The characters they make clearly aren't Asian.Miketheman83

Fact my freaking @ss :lol:
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
[QUOTE="KarateeeChop"]

gotta love these exclusive japanese anime dating sims for the ps3 crowd. those guys know their audience. :lol:

Tessellation

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#113 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

My first time looking at System Wars aside from the lounge and PUSH in months, and this is one of the threads I see...

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#114 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
They don't. The majority of Japanese games feature Japanese protagonists and are often set in Japan. The thin slice of games we get translated over in the west are not really representative. You also have to consider that whilst fair skin is considered beautiful that isn't to say that the characters are actually caucasian. They only look that way to non-Asian people who see a character with non-black hair/eyes and assume they aren't looking at an Asian character. The real question is why do so many westerners assume that because the character does not appear with black eyes/hair that they are not Asian? Seems to me they are failing to correctly read the visual language that many Asian's tacitly understand.
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Because that's how they imagine their characters?

dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts

I might be wrong. I've heard that early anime/manga was influence by disney and the large eyes and pale tones disney used. After time this tradition stuck.  Also larger eyes are more expressive in animation. This is just what I've heard and it sounded plausible enough. Might be wrong, but don't care enough to research.

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="KarateeeChop"]

gotta love these exclusive japanese anime dating sims for the ps3 crowd. those guys know their audience. :lol:

faizan_faizan

Majority of dating sims are on PC and are PC exclusive, and are generally the platform they sell best on. They are also the only ones that have H-scenes (sex scenes). Master Race FTW!!!
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

The idea that Anime (and Manga) represents their characters as caucasian is actually just a MYTH. Let me say again, a widespread misconception.

To clear things up that the art is very much representative of Japanese characters. They aren't trying to "westernize" or emulate caucasian ethnicity as many people believe.

The style of the illustrations, namely with the large eyes is merely a design choice because large eyes are more expressive. We see this in a lot of western animation as well. Not so much the action cartoons like GI Joe, but more stylized characters, especially animal charaters (Bugs Bunny for example). The Japanese audience that views these programs don't see the characters as western or caucasian, they see them as their own people, just in an illustrative stylized fashion, again the large eyes are more expressive.

And here's a video that illustrates the misconceptions in the differences in faces of ethnic backgrounds (even pointing out how caucasion eyes aren't always wider than asian eyes)

josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

The idea that Anime (and Manga) represents their characters as caucasian is actually just a MYTH. Let me say again, a widespread misconception.

To clear things up that the art is very much representative of Japanese characters. They aren't trying to "westernize" or emulate caucasian ethnicity as many people believe.

The style of the illustrations, namely with the large eyes is merely a design choice because large eyes are more expressive. We see this in a lot of western animation as well. Not so much the action cartoons like GI Joe, but more stylized characters, especially animal charaters (Bugs Bunny for example). The Japanese audience that views these programs don't see the characters as western or caucasian, they see them as their own people, just in an illustrative stylized fashion, again the large eyes are more expressive.

And here's a video that illustrates the misconceptions in the differences in faces of ethnic backgrounds (even pointing out how caucasion eyes aren't always wider than asian eyes)

AdobeArtist
I prefer the "default person" theory http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/08/30/guest-post-why-do-the-japanese-draw-themselves-as-white/
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Ive always seen anime characters as being kind of raceless, or a race in themselves. Didnt think it was such a big deal O.o
SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 SchnabbleTab
Member since 2013 • 1488 Posts

Is it because they feel white people are superior ?

StrongBlackVine
You should be banned for this you racist moron. You damn little Xbox kiddies need to grow up and understand that white people are actually a minority in the world.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

DarthJohnova

Phrased incredibly poorly. Though I am surprised at SW for its display of faux-offence instead of answering the question.

edit: 

*Reads thread pages*

Okay, TC is being an ass.

Totally my reaction.  Could have been worded better but I am surprised by the amount of people who did not understand what he meant.  Either way I think the TC was being serious at first then started to play the troll card.  Its a shame because context within the question is very relevant.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

Because you're watching the wrong ones.

GarGx1

Just look at your sigs!

The proportions the animators/artisits use are child like, large forehead, big eyes etc.

I'm not seeing it. A large forehead indicates a man looking like a woman and a woman looking like a young girl?

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"][QUOTE="DarthaPerkinjan"]

After Japan's defeat in World War II they adopted alot of American culture.  They got their animation from America,  and those in American cartoons look white.

Hideo Kojima is a good example.  He admires American film,  so his main character,  snake,  is a white guy with a mullet.

Its like how some whites find Japanese culture fascinating,  and only draw anime style characters,  or only watch anime.  Many people in Japan admire American entertainment and cartoons,  so they make their characters look white.

MLBknights58

This sounds about right. My visit to Asia was awesome. Like the people and the culture. But like I said.....the games are shit. No offense. They just fell way behind American and European development.

How come it took this long to get a legitimate response?

I was generally curious as well, I don't know shit about eastern culture.

Because people here are socially inept and can't discuss anything outside of games. Also they want to pretend that racsim doesn't exist in art.

Avatar image for ShoulderOfOrion
ShoulderOfOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 ShoulderOfOrion
Member since 2013 • 3379 Posts
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="DarthaPerkinjan"]

timbers_WSU

After Japan's defeat in World War II they adopted alot of American culture.  They got their animation from America,  and those in American cartoons look white.

Hideo Kojima is a good example.  He admires American film,  so his main character,  snake,  is a white guy with a mullet.

Its like how some whites find Japanese culture fascinating,  and only draw anime style characters,  or only watch anime.  Many people in Japan admire American entertainment and cartoons,  so they make their characters look white.

This sounds about right. My visit to Asia was awesome. Like the people and the culture. But like I said.....the games are shit. No offense. They just fell way behind American and European development.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

.ShoulderOfOrion

:lol: this!

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

StrongBlackVine

hey look at what we have here,  the reason people here hate sony fanboys.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 StrongBlackVine

Riverwolf007

Thanks for your worthless contribution. Another dork that can't just answer a question.

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts

[QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

Look how white girls have evolved, they all want to be tanned with big arses.

X_CAPCOM_X

Getting ass implants! :lol:

Tanning until they get skin cancer and their skin looks like leather.

Ditto on the ass implants. Ass implants are the worst thing to happen to plastic surgery; why can't they just excercise?

Because exercising would make their butt smaller. The big ass look it mostly a genetic predisposition of a how a woman's fat disperses and deposits.

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Frostbite24

[QUOTE="Frostbite24"]

[QUOTE="X_CAPCOM_X"]

Ditto on the ass implants. Ass implants are the worst thing to happen to plastic surgery; why can't they just excercise?

X_CAPCOM_X

Because exercising would make their butt smaller. The big ass look it mostly a genetic predisposition of a how a woman's fat disperses and deposits.

Good point to bring up, but it's not mostly genetic actually- you can influence it pretty easily. You can influence where the fat deposits by choosing when to eat. The fat that deposits in a person's(woman's in this case :) ) rear end does so in a low corticoid environment, so if they excercise, preferably excercises that make their ass larger like lunges, and consume some sugar and protein directlyafter the workout, any caloric surplus they have in the following relaxation period is deposited in their trunk, muscles and fat.

What you're referring to, sometimes called spot reduction or in this case, spot accretion, is a myth. Gaining and losing weight in specific areas of your body completely depends on your genetics and how you lose weight. That's not to say that you can't tone and increase muscle mass in specific areas of your body but there is no way to isolate your butt for an accretion of body fat.

As an example, when I gain weight the first area that is affected is my gut and lower body. If I thought to myself that I'd like to lose some fat off my arms and face I would have to work off my mid to lower body fat deposits first. There's no way I could do anything to specifically lose fat from my face.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#133 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

[QUOTE="GarGx1"]

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

Because you're watching the wrong ones.

whiskeystrike

Just look at your sigs!

The proportions the animators/artisits use are child like, large forehead, big eyes etc.

I'm not seeing it. A large forehead indicates a man looking like a woman and a woman looking like a young girl?

http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/25282/How+to+Draw+Anime.html

Honestly, none of that looks child like to you? Perhaps it's an age thing, I have no idea how old you are and I'm a long way past childhood.

http://www.drawinghowtodraw.com/drawing-lessons/drawing-faces-lessons/na-proportions-children-kids.html

This one will explain the facial proportions of children and my reference to large forehead and large eyes will be more understandable. It's an art technique based on reality and widely used in cartoons due to the 'that's cute..awww!' factor (Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, Mickey Mouse etc.) but it is completely out of place when used on a teenager or adults body. To me it's like sticking an 8 year old's face on the body of an 18 year old, it just seems so wrong. To me there is very little difference in art style between 'normal' Anime and Lolikon (a form of Anime which is truely and utterly sickening) although fortunately content is.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

I would agree to a point. Here is a example

Final Fantasy

Final-Fantasy-xiii-Wallpaper-final-fanta

Eternal Sonata

The Last Remnant

the-last-remnant-wallpaper-12.jpg

RE

ResidentEvil5Wallpaper.jpg

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Frostbite24

Riverwolf007

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#136 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9556 Posts

[QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Look at how Beyonce has "evolved" over the years. Look at her pics from when she started in the business and look at her now, she's been transformed into a skinny blond white girl.

StrongBlackVine

Look how white girls have evolved, they all want to be tanned with big arses.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 X_CAPCOM_X

Also I'm laughing at all of the people who are uncomfortable with the question to the point where they insult the OP. It's just a question. Bravo, boys; Immaturity never hides.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 X_CAPCOM_X

[QUOTE="X_CAPCOM_X"]

Frostbite24

Good point to bring up, but it's not mostly genetic actually- you can influence it pretty easily. You can influence where the fat deposits by choosing when to eat. The fat that deposits in a person's(woman's in this case :) ) rear end does so in a low corticoid environment, so if they excercise, preferably excercises that make their ass larger like lunges, and consume some sugar and protein directlyafter the workout, any caloric surplus they have in the following relaxation period is deposited in their trunk, muscles and fat.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

josephl64
I prefer the "default person" theory http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/08/30/guest-post-why-do-the-japanese-draw-themselves-as-white/

That's the first time I've heard the whole thing summed up so succinctly (and with geeky jargon to boot). It's kinda interesting to me because for me the default person is (when not looking at anime at least) a white person...but at the same time I'm not white or American (though I do live in an area that is 90% white).
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#140 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
I like the default person theory. Anyways, when I watch anime, I see them as raceless. It's because I actually think race is stupidest thing ever created by human kind.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Because people here are socially inept and can't discuss anything outside of games. Also they want to pretend that racsim doesn't exist in art.

Lucianu

You missed Articuno's response that raped your missinformed thread.  

They don't. The majority of Japanese games feature Japanese protagonists and are often set in Japan. The thin slice of games we get translated over in the west are not really representative.

You also have to consider that whilst fair skin is considered beautiful that isn't to say that the characters are actually caucasian. They only look that way to non-Asian people who see a character with non-black hair/eyes and assume they aren't looking at an Asian character. The real question is why do so many westerners assume that because the character does not appear with black eyes/hair that they are not Asian? Seems to me they are failing to correctly read the visual language that many Asian's tacitly understand.Articuno76

Ofcourse you ignore it, because your childish mentality cannot admit, like mature responsable adults, that your limited perspective was wrong.  

Articuno's response looks good enough to me.  Still going to be hard to see what those animators intend for me to see though, too stuck in my ways.

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"] This sounds about right. My visit to Asia was awesome. Like the people and the culture. But like I said.....the games are shit. No offense. They just fell way behind American and European development.StrongBlackVine

Thats pretty laughable. Your question was riddled with racist undertones. If you ask a stupid question, people aren't going to take you seriously. Let me give you an example to a very similar style of question. "Why are most criminals black? Is it because white people have superior morals?" Why is this the same type of question? It's because you assumed the answer to your own question with a racist statement. Why was that necessary to add to the question? Based on your posting style, I could assume that you are here to pick a fight, instead of being here to learn something. Ignoring that, the answer is such: Anime characters are drawn for multiple ages, children and adult. As cartoons evolved, many times anime characters were much more complex than their western cartoon counterparts, emotionally speaking. Most emotion is conveyed through eyes, thus the size of the eyes was increased. As far as hair goes, most japanese people are genetically of a single type of hair, straight black hair. Therefore, altering their hair in different ways is another way of expression that is very important to them as individuals.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Ive always seen anime characters as being kind of raceless, or a race in themselves. Didnt think it was such a big deal O.oIantheone

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way.

I guess people just made out Anime characters to be what they want since they saw no other form of objection of exactly what specific race they are (White skin, no slanted eyes, big boobs? Cleary Caucasian).

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

They are Japanese, you can tell because when they animate/create white people or black people they tend to be extremely stereotypical.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 StrongBlackVine

They are Japanese, you can tell because when they animate/create white people or black people they tend to be extremely stereotypical.

GD1551

No Asian woman looks lke Lightning. This preference in character models has become in more pronounced with improved graphics. Ada Wong even looks like half-white in RE6 compared to previous models. It is not just anime.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

StrongBlackVine

No Asian woman looks lke Lightning. This preference in character models has become in more pronounced with improved graphics. Ada Wong even looks like half-white in RE6 compared to previous models. It is not just anime.

102163__468x_miri-lightning-04.jpg

Looks close enough to me.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

Are you seriously using cosplay with fake blue eyes really standing out? Either way that woman is clearly of Asian descent and Lightning isn't.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 GD1551

Are you seriously using cosplay with fake blue eyes really standing out? Either way that woman is clearly of Asian descent and Lightning isn't.

StrongBlackVine

Does anyone have natural pink hair? The whole point of the picture was to say that there are Asian women that look like lightning. What descent is lightning may I ask? I didn't even get through more than a hour of FF13.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts
So what you are saying, is that since they are Japanese they must make all of their characters look like they are from Japan instead of making characters from their creative vision?
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

StrongBlackVine

Wow, your observational skills leave a lot to be desired. Take a look, I mean really examine the face of the cosplayer and the render of Lightning. Ignore the pink hair as that's obviously artificial. Closely look at the facial structure, the jawline, the cheekbone structure and nose. They are remarkably close to the CG render.

And if that real person dressing up as Lightning is asian. on what grounds do you say that Lightning isn't? It seems to me (and what so commonly happens) is that it's really assumptions that are being made on a fictional character's ethnic background based on cultural perspective. That is the point made in the video I linked and the "self identity" theory that was responded to it.

The Japanese audience that plays these games views the characters as Japanese, not caucasian, just as caucasian people see them like themselves. This is especially the case wityh stylized characters with large eyes (designed that way to be expressive) Your assumptions are based on racial stereotypes of what you seem to think asian people are supposed to look like.

Now I'm trying to give this topic, which touches on a sensitive subject, a chance to be open for real discussion. Please don't make me regret this.