Rumor: Zelda U a Sequel to Twilight Princess. Meant to rival Skyrim.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Sauce

News on Zelda U is dry and barren with Aonuma only dropping off certain tidbits of information that reveal next-to-nothing about the upcoming title, but rumors have surfaced online suggesting what the next main-title entry could hold for us. Before we get ahead of ourselves, let's view the provided information as a "what if" instead of a "it might happen" scenario because the following information reeks of fake, but it's always fun to wonder what could happen.

The information comes from 2ch, reposted on Gamefaqs and Blogocio and to make matters worse, the thread was deleted within an hour of being posted so what's listed is either completely fake, or holds some truth. Some of the suggested items are what many would expect to see and sound like something Aonuma would do, but remember, this is the internet. 

• The game is using the E3 2011 Tech Demo graphics. The Tech Demo was actually footage from a pre-Alpha version.
  • The game is a direct sequel to Twilight Princess.
  • The game will be Open World. The player will be able to explore a vast and seamless Hyrule. Around 70% of the development team are solely working on content to fill this Open World. The aim is to make it full of content and have more side-quests, sub-dungeons, and collectibles than any past 3D Zelda.
  • Motion controls have been dropped. The game will use the Wii U Game Pad and build off the controls of the GameCube version of Twilight Princess. There will be heavy use of the Game Pad screen in a variety of unique ways.
  • There are 10 dungeons. You can play the first five in any order, and when all are complete, you can play the later five in any order. The game now features a term Aonuma calls "Parallel Dungeons". You will have to multi-task between all 5 dungeons to complete them. Solving puzzles in one dungeon will open doors and change the layout of another. Aonuma states that playing through all 5 dungeons simultaneously will feel like one giant Water Temple (from Ocarina of Time).
  • Princess Zelda will have a deep involvement in the story. Princess Zelda didn't get much development in Twilight Princess, but many fans have said they loved her detailed costume design. Aonuma wants to rectify this issue by making her character as complex as her elaborate clothes.
  • The game began development in Q1 2010, almost two years before Skyward Sword was released. It was being made by a different team than the one that developed Skyward Sword. However, the staff of Skyward Sword have now joined the development head count on Zelda Wii U.
  • The game will be the directorial debut of Satoru Takizawa. He previously served as Art Director of Twilight Princess. Aonuma personally feels that, due to Takizawa's experience being in charge of the visuals of Twilight Princess, he's the most qualified staff member to direct a realistic Zelda. Takizawa has worked on every 3D Zelda game since OoT. He designed Ganondorf and all the bosses in OoT, all the bosses in MM, Ganondorf and the Moblin in TWW, and didn't do much on SS as he was moved off the project midway to direct the next realistic Zelda.
  • Online co-op that functions like a 3D version of Four Swords is being included as a separate multiplayer feature. The mode will have paid DLC content. This will be in the form of dungeons, powerful enemies, new items, and unique tunics.
  • Regarding the scale of the Open World, Aonuma is aiming for it to be on par with Skyrim.
  • All the NPCs will be voiced. They will speak in a fictional language that will represent Hylian.
  • Aonuma states that the game will definitely be announced in 2014. E3 is the most likely venue, not a Nintendo Direct.

I know we get a lot of flack for these rumors, I'm not a fan of them myself and hate posting them, but they always make us wonder "what if?" So be sure to tell us what you're most hoping to see in Zelda U and just what you're hoping to not see return! Is it the lack of Ganon and the Master Sword or is it Link travelling between dimensions for a glass of orange juice? Be sure to tell us in the comments! Zelda Informer

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

Another mainstream casual franchise

I'll stick with playing stalker or metro, thank you very much

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
TP sucked
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts
I hope they're not going to stick with that "U" stuff.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I like the sound of that. TP is awesome.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46318 Posts

I really hope they do drop motion controls, that's the only thing I really want. Hated them in TP.

But there is a big chance they will as Nintendo wants to push the use of the tablet controller.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Animal-Mother

I really hope they do drop motion controls, that's the only thing I really want. Hated them in TP.

But there is a big chance they will as Nintendo wants to push the use of the tablet controller.

R4gn4r0k
Luckily the Gamepad doesn't offer too many motion control gimmicks or I don' think any for that fact. In all honesty it's like looking at your inventory without having to press a button.
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Sheeps now are happy that next Zelda will be as big as skyrim ? A next-gen title of 2014/2015 ?! lol ... Skyrim is already out 2 years now for 8 years old consoles. Now imagine a new Skyrim on ps4/xbone. One step behind again Nintendo. I hope at least game be good because TP wasnt the best Zelda.

And thank god , no more motion controls only.. Thats something good finally coming from N.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23920 Posts

I really hope it isnt aiming to rival Skyrim in any way. I would rather have a smaller, but denser world than a large overworld that feels like it is too big for its own good.

Though, it being a sequel to TP is something I wouldnt mind. Hopefully this will mean no ganon.

All the NPCs will be voiced. They will speak in a fictional language that will represent Hylian.

Article

Never been a big fan of voice overs. Especially not voice overs from Nintendo. But if they speak hylian as opposed to english I wouldnt mind it too much. I wonder if this will result in more people making pointless youtube videos with NPCs saying stuff, like what happened with Midna.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Animal-Mother

Sheeps now are happy that next Zelda will be as big as skyrim ? A next-gen title of 2014/2015 ?! lol ... Skyrim is already out 2 years now for 8 years old consoles. Now imagine a new Skyrim on ps4/xbone. One step behind again Nintendo. I hope at least game be good because TP wasnt the best Zelda.

AzatiS
Well better late than never to get with the times right?
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

R4gn4r0k

Was never a fan of the motion controls myself.

Pretty much ruined DK Country returns.

My best experiences on the Wii were the games that didn't use motion controls :P
With the exception of SMG of course.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

its a next gen console isnt it? so it should be compared with the next elder scrolls

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k

Luckily the Gamepad doesn't offer too many motion control gimmicks or I don' think any for that fact. In all honesty it's like looking at your inventory without having to press a button.Animal-Mother

Yeah I'm glad for that too. Just put the map and inventory on the bottom screen like in OOT 3D and I'm happy.

You don't need to add constant controller innovations into Zelda, Nintendo, just add some gameplay innovations.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Oh dear, Zelda going the way of Skyrim? Sheep be cried.

Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kandlegoat
Member since 2009 • 3147 Posts

Zelda U will be shit on when released and Skyward Sword will all of a sudden be this "Underrated Masterpiece" ..

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

"All the NPCs will be voiced."

Haha. I'm guessing link still won't be?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
I hope they do drop motion controls.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k

My best experiences on the Wii were the game that didn't use motion controls :P

Sagem28

I quit playing TP when I found out that waving my arms around like a madman was as good a way to kill off enemies as trying to accurately aim at them and where they weren't blocking.

That ruined DKC Returns for me too. The 3DS version is inferior in every other aspect but I like it more because it has regular controls. SMG use of motion controls felt gimmicky. I would have much rather had a second analog stick to move the camera around than a remote with which I can collect and shoot stars.

There isn't a single game I can think off where I like the motion controls. Perhaps Wii Sports, but that was only fun for like a week.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sagem28

I quit playing TP when I found out that waving my arms around like a madman was as good a way to kill off enemies as trying to accurately aim at them and where they weren't blocking.

That ruined DKC Returns for me too. The 3DS version is inferior in every other aspect but I like it more because it has regular controls. SMG use of motion controls felt gimmicky. I would have much rather had a second analog stick to move the camera around than a remote with which I can collect and shoot stars.

There isn't a single game I can think off where I like the motion controls. Perhaps Wii Sports, but that was only fun for like a week.

R4gn4r0k

I'm in the same boat regarding TP, just couldn't deal with the horrible controls.

They never bothered me in SMG, tho. :P
felt pretty smooth for me.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Maroxad

GD1551

Considering the fact that Link has always been a silent protagonist (only really speaking in rare cases when you have dialogue options) and a blank state. No.

There is a reason you get to name him, and there is a reason the his default name is Link. I would rather not have Nintendo do to link what EA did to the Avatar.

TheDidact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 TheDidact
Member since 2012 • 3986 Posts
Voice acting? Fake. The rest sounds great though.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

My best experiences on the Wii were the game that didn't use motion controls :P

R4gn4r0k

Luckily I just played it on GC. But it was a load of shite because all the dungeons were mirrored in the GC version.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k

Luckily I just played it on GC. But it was a load of shite because all the dungeons were mirrored in the GC version.Animal-Mother

Ooooh TP. Yeah I played that on Gamecube too. I wast thinking off Skyward Sword :P

Really liked Twilight Princess.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k

I'm in the same boat regarding TP, just couldn't deal with the horrible controls.

Sagem28

Sorry, I meant to say Skyward Sword. Played TP on Gamecube.

They didn't bother me in SMG (unlike SS and DKC) either, but they didn't feel like they were needed either.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sagem28

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

R4gn4r0k

Sorry, I meant to say Skyward Sword. Played TP on Gamecube.

They didn't bother me in SMG (unlike SS and DKC) either, but they didn't feel like they were needed either.

Well, in a nutshell:

Good old fashioned controller > Motion controls.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Maroxad

Considering the fact that Link has always been a silent protagonist (only really speaking in rare cases when you have dialogue options) and a blank state. No.

There is a reason you get to name him, and there is a reason the his default name is Link. I would rather not have Nintendo do to link what EA did to the Avatar.

Yeah we should allow link to be a Ryan Gosling esque character and awkwardly not answer people that are talking to him.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

There are many games only one is Legend.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k

Well, in a nutshell:

Good old fashioned controller > Motion controls.

Sagem28

Very true. They were fun for casual gaming for a while but now Nintendo and Sony have stepped away from them. Let's hope MS does too.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#29 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

Sagem28

My best experiences on the Wii were the games that didn't use motion controls :P

What's wrong with DKCR? You just shake the wii remote to ground pound and blow air. I never had any issues with it.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I love motion controls, or at least I do when they're done well. I'd like to see them return as an option in future Zelda's.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I call BS

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sagem28

What's wrong with DKCR? You just shake the wii remote to ground pound and blow air. I never had any issues with it.

cain006

In a platformer where timing is of crucial importance I found it to be really annoying.

Sometimes my 'shaking' wouldn't register properly resulting in a death that could have been easily avoided.
I really hate when that happens.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#33 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

Sagem28

In a platformer where timing is of crucial importance I found it to be really annoying.

Sometimes my 'shaking' wouldn't register properly resulting in a death that could have been easily avoided.

But you never have to do those things quickly unless you're just getting extra stuff like puzzle pieces. I've had an issue occasionally but it's only happened a few times and it's not really a big deal.

And the rolling I've had an issue with occasionally but you move so fast when you do it I wouldn't like to do it very often even with regular controls.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Rival Skyrim? Is that supposed to sound good? Because it doesn't.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

Yeah we should allow link to be a Ryan Gosling esque character and awkwardly not answer people that are talking to him.

You do realize that when someone asks Link a question one of the following happens

1. You are given a choice of usually 2 things to say.
2. The character talking to you responds as if you answered his/her question. Implying that Link does reply, but his tone, manner of speech and language is left for interpretion.

I would rather have Link remain as an avatar as opposed to a character. Furthermore, if he got voiced we could see something like this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otf9Bnm48Kk

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Rival Skyrim? Is that supposed to sound good? Because it doesn't.funsohng

Adding Skyrim to your games description is apparently how you wow people these days. CDPR keep doing it with TW3 too and like you said, it sounds more bad than good

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sagem28

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="cain006"]

cain006

But you never have to do those things quickly unless you're just getting extra stuff like puzzle pieces. I've had an issue occasionally but it's only happened a few times and it's not really a big deal.

And the rolling I've had an issue with occasionally but you move so fast when you do it I wouldn't like to do it very often even with regular controls.

Wut ?
And if you jump on a small platform right in front of an enemy, and you need to roll instantly to take him down ?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The Only way Zelda is going to Rival Skyrim is for it to go back to it's Roots.

If you played the Original Zelda you know what I mean.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

And thank god , no more motion controls only.. Thats something good finally coming from N.

AzatiS

Yes... because every game that comes out is bigger than the last, right?

F-CK you're stupid.

OMG THe Last of Us, why you no big as Skyrim?

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...... *boards spaceship*

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#40 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

Zelda U will be shit on when released and Skyward Sword will all of a sudden be this "Underrated Masterpiece" ..

Kandlegoat
I see it coming.
Chromium920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Chromium920
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts

All of it sounds good, but SW will still hate it and call it boring and kiddie, and the GS reviewer will give it a 7.5.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

The Only way Zelda is going to Rival Skyrim is for it to go back to it's Roots.

If you played the Original Zelda you know what I mean.

LegatoSkyheart

If the rumor in the OP is true, then thats exactly what they are doing.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GD1551

You do realize that when someone asks Link a question one of the following happens

2. The character talking to you responds as if you answered his/her question. Implying that Link does reply, but his tone, manner of speech and language is left for interpretion like you.

I would rather have Link remain as an avatar as opposed to a character. Furthermore, if he got voiced we could see something like this again

Maroxad

Yeah I do, but that's in the context of no one else is being voiced other than the random noise they make. Being an avatar isn't really saying much, shepard is an avatar but he is voiced. Everyone might have their own preference of how link sounds, but it would just feel awkward like it did in HL2.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k

cain006

It's terribly imprecise as compared to simply pressing a button. Precision is key for a platformer like DKC.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

...I would buy the Wii u for this alone....but I wish they'd make it so that link wen't Agro and stole the triforce powes from gannon and Zelda to [spoiler] force the dimensional walls to open and get Midna back. [/spoiler]

Twilght princess is my second favorite zelda game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
I will always greet a new Zelda game with open arms. Can't wait to play this game.
Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

I'd be beyond excited if these rumors were true. 

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

2. The character talking to you responds as if you answered his/her question. Implying that Link does reply, but his tone, manner of speech and language is left for interpretion like you.

GD1551

Yeah I do, but that's in the context of no one else is being voiced other than the random noise they make. Being an avatar isn't really saying much, shepard is an avatar but he is voiced. Everyone might have their own preference of how link sounds, but it would just feel awkward like it did in HL2.

I had no issues with Gordon Freeman being silent.

And Shepard felt like a character to me, especially in ME(diocre) 3.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts
  • The game is using the E3 2011 Tech Demo graphics. The Tech Demo was actually footage from a pre-Alpha version.
  • The game will be Open World. The player will be able to explore a vast and seamless Hyrule. Around 70% of the development team are solely working on content to fill this Open World. The aim is to make it full of content and have more side-quests, sub-dungeons, and collectibles than any past 3D Zelda.
  • Motion controls have been dropped. The game will use the Wii U Game Pad and build off the controls of the GameCube version of Twilight Princess. There will be heavy use of the Game Pad screen in a variety of unique ways.
  • There are 10 dungeons. You can play the first five in any order, and when all are complete, you can play the later five in any order. The game now features a term Aonuma calls "Parallel Dungeons". You will have to multi-task between all 5 dungeons to complete them. Solving puzzles in one dungeon will open doors and change the layout of another. Aonuma states that playing through all 5 dungeons simultaneously will feel like one giant Water Temple (from Ocarina of Time).
  • The game began development in Q1 2010, almost two years before Skyward Sword was released. It was being made by a different team than the one that developed Skyward Sword. However, the staff of Skyward Sword have now joined the development head count on Zelda Wii U.
  • The game will be the directorial debut of Satoru Takizawa. He previously served as Art Director of Twilight Princess. Aonuma personally feels that, due to Takizawa's experience being in charge of the visuals of Twilight Princess, he's the most qualified staff member to direct a realistic Zelda. Takizawa has worked on every 3D Zelda game since OoT. He designed Ganondorf and all the bosses in OoT, all the bosses in MM, Ganondorf and the Moblin in TWW, and didn't do much on SS as he was moved off the project midway to direct the next realistic Zelda.
  • Princess Zelda will have a deep involvement in the story. Princess Zelda didn't get much development in Twilight Princess, but many fans have said they loved her detailed costume design. Aonuma wants to rectify this issue by making her character as complex as her elaborate clothes.

Alright. all of this sounds good to great!

• The game is a direct sequel to Twilight Princess.

Sounds a little unnecessary but okay, sure.

• All the NPCs will be voiced. They will speak in a fictional language that will represent Hylian.

Worrisome but if you can at least turn off the voices then cool.

• Regarding the scale of the Open World, Aonuma is aiming for it to be on par with Skyrim.

Meh, not really interested in Elder Scrolls but alright. Just as long as the world has some insight on where to travel next. 

• Online co-op that functions like a 3D version of Four Swords is being included as a separate multiplayer feature. The mode will have paid DLC content. This will be in the form of dungeons, powerful enemies, new items, and unique tunics.

This worries me. But if they can make it without removing away from the single-player than neat I guess.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Epic. This game wil be a game of legends. Hype at max output.