Report: Microsoft is making significant investments / financial backing to go all-in on gaming

• 154 results
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#101 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Microsoft needs to stop talking and start making games

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#102 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Ant_17: I didn't claim you did. We can't converse?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts
@cainetao11 said:

@Ant_17: I didn't claim you did. We can't converse?

No, i just don't know what to say about this.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 cainetao11

@Ant_17: I miss.........us.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#105  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

@mariokart64fan said:

But they are making games and have been objectively supplying games. Now, whether or not these games are worth your time is something else. This false narrative that MS isn't making games, has no games or isn't investing in games is simply false.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#106 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts
@cainetao11 said:

@Ant_17: I miss.........us.

Me too.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#107 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

MS is the Roman Reigns of gaming. They get heat no matter what they do.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#108  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

While Nintendo has carved out a sizeable chunk of the casual gaming market with its Switch, the Xbox only has one primary competitor; Sony. Even though the PlayStation has the lead for this generation, Microsoft is making significant investments in hardware/content to close the gap with Sony and has the financial backing to go all-in on gaming to win the next generation

Does this mean they will half ass the curent gen?

Yeah, but that's to be expected. That's what MS did w/ their first and second gen consoles, why would this time be different?

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

While Nintendo has carved out a sizeable chunk of the casual gaming market with its Switch, the Xbox only has one primary competitor; Sony. Even though the PlayStation has the lead for this generation, Microsoft is making significant investments in hardware/content to close the gap with Sony and has the financial backing to go all-in on gaming to win the next generation

Does this mean they will half ass the curent gen?

I think part of what they're trying to do is eliminate the concept of a gen to begin with. If my X is forward compatible with all the games that come out on MS's next hardware I'd be perfectly fine with that.

It's the wait for those games that is a nuisance...

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 cainetao11

@Legend002: MS is the Roman Reigns of gaming. They get heat no matter what they do"

And there is truth to that. Do they help their situation with AAA SP epics that reviewers, casuals and many gamers want? No. But they get shit on for any blurb that hits social media.

Next month State of Decay 2 will in all likelihood get basically good reviews 7/10 at most, and continue to provide those of us that enjoy other humans interacting with us, mp gaming that is fun. But it will not be what Mahardy, Brown and the like want to play. I like playing with others. I like SP as well.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
@mariokart64fan said:

Article is Brad Sams talking, not MS FYI

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Didn't they spend like hundred of millions to designing Xbone controller this gen? lol

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#113  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@Legend002: MS is the Roman Reigns of gaming. They get heat no matter what they do"

And there is truth to that. Do they help their situation with AAA SP epics that reviewers, casuals and many gamers want? No. But they get shit on for any blurb that hits social media.

Next month State of Decay 2 will in all likelihood get basically good reviews 7/10 at most, and continue to provide those of us that enjoy other humans interacting with us, mp gaming that is fun. But it will not be what Mahardy, Brown and the like want to play. I like playing with others. I like SP as well.

Don't under hype your xbox games fellow.

You'll prove yourself to be another honorless and hypocritical fanboy since you've accused cows of under hyping their games before.

State of Decay 2 looks really good and is, by an objective stand point, the only chance at MS getting a high rated title this year (outside of the forza kart game).

The game looks like an easy 8.0 with slight chance of 9.0 here at GS and a solid 80-88 MC score.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By cainetao11

@tgob89: Don't under hype your xbox games fellow.

You'll prove yourself to be another honorless and hypocritical fanboy since you've accused cows of under hyping their games before.

State of Decay 2 looks really good and is, by an objective stand point, the only chance at MS getting a high rated title this year (outside of the forza kart game).

The game looks like an easy 8.0 with slight chance of 9.0 here at GS and a solid 80-88 MC score."

I'll begin with stating I have been guilty of being a hypocrite in life. Also, lying, cheating, being greedy, violent, petty, unfaithful among other things. I'm not afraid to attempt to be transparent at my age and will not pretend i have never done these things. That's ego-bitch shit.

I do not believe GS will score the game above a 7/10. I am not saying what i believe the games enjoyment level will be, I'm staying with what i have gotten right more often than not this gen from Gamespot. I don't bother with Meta avgs. I'm posting here, I'll stick with what i think this place says. At IGN i say what i think they will say. An 8.0 is possible but I'm still going 7. It will get more than the usual 6/10 from gamespot.

Avatar image for TorqueHappens08
TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#115 TorqueHappens08
Member since 2008 • 1363 Posts

Okay, so now its safe to admit that M$ has no games?

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

Well, let's see how it goes, but Knowing Microsoft...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#117  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I've heard that sh*t like a 50 times now... I've heard that especially at the start of the current generation before the XOne came out. It never delivered

MS just wants to garner hype before the next generation rolls out and, of course, gullible lems will eat their words like chocolate

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Pedro
@Vatusus said:

I've heard that sh*t like a 50 times now... I've heard that especially at the start of the current generation before the XOne came out. It never delivered

MS just wants to garner hype before the next generation and of course gullible lems will eat their words like chocolate

There is no next gen for MS, so I don't see your point.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

We've all heard this kinda thing before. There isn't any way to tell how financially committed MS are going forward.

MS might allocate only a certain budget, or they might not. We can only wait and see.

If MS opens up that war chest though at some point tho... Things would really get interesting.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#120  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@babyjoker1221 said:

We've all heard this kinda thing before. There isn't any way to tell how financially committed MS are going forward.

MS might allocate only a certain budget, or they might not. We can only wait and see.

If MS opens up that war chest though at some point tho... Things would really get interesting.

MS already did that this gen when they purchased Mojang for 2.5 bills.

You should get a good idea of where they see gaming heading by that move.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@babyjoker1221 said:

No, I meant if MS really decided to spend. A couple of bil is a drop in the bucket for MS.

You should get a good idea of how much capital MS truly has, based by that move.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#122  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@babyjoker1221: It was their biggest money drop in the history of the industry. They "opened up the war chest" there for sure.

Edited for words.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@kuu2: "Cows are the worst thing to happen to gaming, ever."

You do know that were it not for the success of the PS1, Microsoft would not have even made the Xbox, right? You are sloppy thirds in this party, and 100 million gamers will never want you. Try washing your balls every once in a while if you want in front of the line.

I love that this post actually associates the success of Sony with Cows. Hilarious, news flash to you Cows you had zero to do with the success of Sony. They built the machine and great games. Cows, a small percentage of actual Sony buyers are a cancer to the industry.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Pedro

@kuu2 said:
@Shewgenja said:

@kuu2: "Cows are the worst thing to happen to gaming, ever."

You do know that were it not for the success of the PS1, Microsoft would not have even made the Xbox, right? You are sloppy thirds in this party, and 100 million gamers will never want you. Try washing your balls every once in a while if you want in front of the line.

I love that this post actually associates the success of Sony with Cows. Hilarious, news flash to you Cows you had zero to do with the success of Sony. They built the machine and great games. Cows, a small percentage of actual Sony buyers are a cancer to the industry.

His responses are such tripe that I am amazed he is so convicted to his own nonsense.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@Pedro: how is there no next gen

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11091 Posts
@babyjoker1221 said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@babyjoker1221 said:

No, I meant if MS really decided to spend. A couple of bil is a drop in the bucket for MS.

You should get a good idea of how much capital MS truly has, based by that move.

It's a drop, yet the Xbox bucket went dry anyway.

MortalDecayX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 MortalDecayX
Member since 2013 • 115 Posts

Seems like the lems have their next 3 years planned out... Waiting lol.

Why did MS make the XBox One X when all of their fans have lost all hope for this gen, and are just going to wait for the next one?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@MortalDecayX: As long as they can hate "movie games" and catch up with a power battle that was relevant in 2013, they are probably okay with it.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
@throwaway176 said:

I usually lurk in the shadows but I wanted to say something really quick. The reason why Microsoft is going to invest heavily in content, exclusives, games etc is because they need content for Game Pass to work. Netflix isn't successful because it has older obscure movies, they're successful because they have a ton of original content that people want to see, that's why Netflix gave Dave Chappelle a 40-50$ million contract because they see how many subscribers watch his specials. Game Pass isn't going to work if all they have are older games like Mad Max and a few exclusives here and there.

Also the reason why Xbox lineup has been so sparse over the past few years...Microsoft was going to invest a billion dollars into games but those plans were scrapped when they got a new CEO who wasn't fond of consumer products. Phil Spencer had a boss named Terry Myerson (head of the Windows and Devices group that Xbox was under) who cut funding and wouldn't invest in anything unless it directly benefited the Windows Platform. Despite all of that Xbox has been successful and has made a shit of ton money, so much that Phil Spencer got promoted and is now one of the 15 executives that run the entire company. Phil no longer answers to Terry Myerson (who's leaving Microsoft btw) the Windows and Devices Group is being dissolved and Xbox is it's own thing now, most importantly Satya is now 100% behind Phil.

That being said, Don't expect a God of War caliber exclusive for Xbox until next gen (unless you like racers in which Forza Horizon 4 is coming) Playground making Fable and hiring a shit ton of talent from other games ei GTA, Hellblade, they even have the former MGS Producer on board, they hired the former head of Crystal Dynamics to possibly run a new studio which is rumored to be making the next Perfect Dark, The Turn 10 Kart Racer, Gears 5 and the Halo Spinoff

These are all investments for next gen, Microsoft's just going to coast through the rest of this gen and call it a wrap.

Hmm, that part doesn't appeal to me. The rest of it is interesting though. We'll see how it turns out.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Pedro

@stereointegrity said:

@Pedro: how is there no next gen

MS is taking the upgrade approach and would not be abandoning ship like most consoles do with the release of a new consoles. Games would be playable on the previous system as well as the newest system. Xbox One would eventually be phased out with the One X being the base.

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 ToonLonk
Member since 2017 • 440 Posts

I'll believe it when I see it.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

They've been saying this for years yet nothing ever materializes of it.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@Pedro: sure buddy lol. We’ll see how ms changes its tune regarding “no gens anymore” when ps5 comes out. I can’t believe how much corporate bs you sop up pedro.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Think MS will have a lot of success working with 3P and having deals for Play Anywhere/Game Pass. Gets a lot of hands on your game with minimal effort. MS has a great back bone moving forward to build up 1P IP.

Just seeing the success of Sea of Thieves and MS creating the cloud gaming division, should be easy to get 3P on board.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b883bb846c10
deactivated-5b883bb846c10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 deactivated-5b883bb846c10
Member since 2015 • 1043 Posts

They could've used the Xbox One X money to invest in new studios, talent and IPs. Jesus Christ MS... And they expect people to but their next console after the silly decisions they've done this gen?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

@blessedbyhorus said:

They could've used the Xbox One X money to invest in new studios, talent and IPs. Jesus Christ MS... And they expect people to but their next console after the silly decisions they've done this gen?

This is such a dumb comment I don't even know where to begin...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 deactivated-5b883bb846c10
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@blessedbyhorus said:

This is such a dumb comment I don't even know where to begin...

And yet no games....

Who asked for the Xbox One X?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@MortalDecayX said:

Seems like the lems have their next 3 years planned out... Waiting lol.

Why did MS make the XBox One X when all of their fans have lost all hope for this gen, and are just going to wait for the next one?

MS was annoyed with Digital Foundry's pixel count and cows smashing XBO's less pixels.

Xbox device's existence is for markets with high gaming PC resistance e.g. USA.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 deactivated-5b883bb846c10
@gfxpipeline said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

They always make significant investments in gaming. That's why they lost almost 7 billion on the OG Xbox. LOL. They overspend with no reward every gen, and I can't see how this will be different. In the meantime, this probably means investing in an Xbox One X is waste of time since they're gearing up for next gen.

LOL, brutal.

Par for the course though with how Microsoft treats the Xbox deadenders.

They dumped the first Xbox marketplace failure after only four years.

They dumped most of their first party developers mid gen with the RRoD plagued Xbox 360 because they thought they could turn the Xbox into some Wii type megahit by bolting a Sony EyeToy clone onto the system and start focusing on casual shovelware.

And now after four years of failure with the Xbox One Microsoft is once again giving the suckers who bought their system the finger.

And this is why I'm staying away from the Xbox brand next gen.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 hrt_rulz01

@blessedbyhorus: I wonder who's alt acc you are? Hmmm. Anyway, I'll play along.

Who asked for the X? How about everyone that went on & on & on about XB1's lack of power compared to the PS4 all gen, fans & media alike... I think that sent a pretty clear message to MS that graphical power matters & that people wanted a console like the X. But unsurprisingly, now the X is out, people like you & the media have suddenly forgotten about this fact... funny that.

And MS has said ad nauseam they are investing in their game content. But it takes time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 deactivated-5b883bb846c10
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Who asked for the X? How about everyone that went on & on & on about XB1's lack of power compared to the PS4 all gen, fans & media alike... I think that sent a pretty clear message to MS that graphical power matters & that people wanted a console like the X. But unsurprisingly, now the X is out, people like you & the media have suddenly forgotten about this fact... funny that.

And MS has said ad nauseam they are investing in their game content. But it takes time.

Yea I'm an alt? I always find it funny that ANYONE who criticize MS Xbox fans have to find something out of the ordinary. It wasn't just POWER that people were criticizing but also GAMES. It was mostly games. And new Ips imo is much more easier to invest in than some mid gen system. And for your damn information I too was excited for the Xbox One X/Scorpio. Hell you can go back and see me trolling Sony fanboys and also me creating those corny DBZ gifs with Scropio in it. But when the X1X came in went with no games I knew things were not changing.

And it takes time? MS has had YEARS. They remained stagnate since flipping 2010. They never bothered to invest in new studios/Ips but allow third party devs to do all the work. Worse all they shut down many of their studios.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 hrt_rulz01

@blessedbyhorus said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Yea I'm an alt? I always find it funny that ANYONE who criticize MS Xbox fans have to find something out of the ordinary. It wasn't just POWER that people were criticizing but also GAMES. It was mostly games. And new Ips imo is much more easier to invest in than some mid gen system. And for your damn information I too was excited for the Xbox One X/Scorpio. Hell you can go back and see me trolling Sony fanboys and also me creating those corny DBZ gifs with Scropio in it. But when the X1X came in went with no games I knew things were not changing.

And it takes time? MS has had YEARS. They remained stagnate since flipping 2010. They never bothered to invest in new studios/Ips but allow third party devs to do all the work. Worse all they shut down many of their studios.

The overwhelming majority of the talk/criticism at the start of the gen was the power difference between XB1 & PS4... not games. This was mainly because PS4's 1st party lineup at the start of the gen was lacklustre (XB1's was arguably better at the beginning).

But now that the X is out, the narrative has suddenly changed to "Xbox has no games". Which is a dumb statement, because there are games coming out/have come out. Could it be better? Of course. They are investing in new studios/content, but Phil Spencer has said that they want to do it the right way & it takes time. Should these changes have been made long ago? Definitely. But Phil has only been in charge since 2014 & had to right the ship in more immediate ways at the beginning.

Anyway, if you aren't optimistic about the future of Xbox, go elsewhere. Simple :)

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts
@blessedbyhorus said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

He calls anyone alts who disagrees with him lol.

It's what happens when you're arguing from a weak position. You have to find ways to discredit the person you're arguing with instead of facing the points he's making that you can't argue against. Everything you've said is true. MS had years to sort their first party out. The problem with the Xbone isn't something that started recently, it's something that's been going on since 2010 when they sold most of their studios and decided to go full on Kinect. It will take years for MS to sort out their first party problem if they are really trying to fix it now, and even then I don't see them ever fully recovering. They'll always be several steps behind Nintendo and Sony.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@quadknight said:
@blessedbyhorus said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

It's what happens when you're arguing from a weak position. You have to find ways to discredit the person you're arguing with instead of facing the points he's making that you can't argue against. Everything you've said is true. MS had years to sort their first party out. The problem with the Xbone isn't something that started recently, it's something that's been going on since 2010 when they sold most of their studios and decided to go full on Kinect. It will take years for MS to sort their first party problem if they are really trying to fix it now and even then I don't see them ever fully recovering. They'll always be several steps behind Nintendo and Sony.

Oh look, Quack butting into a conversation he had nothing to do with... as usual. Go and post your butthurt/salty memes somewhere else. Let the adults talk.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@quadknight said:
@blessedbyhorus said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

It's what happens when you're arguing from a weak position. You have to find ways to discredit the person you're arguing with instead of facing the points he's making that you can't argue against. Everything you've said is true. MS had years to sort their first party out. The problem with the Xbone isn't something that started recently, it's something that's been going on since 2010 when they sold most of their studios and decided to go full on Kinect. It will take years for MS to sort their first party problem if they are really trying to fix it now and even then I don't see them ever fully recovering. They'll always be several steps behind Nintendo and Sony.

Oh look, Quack butting into a conversation he had nothing to do with... as usual. Go and post your butthurt/salty memes somewhere else. Let the adults talk.

You're arguing like a child and I'm calling you out, no need to be upset.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 deactivated-5b883bb846c10

@hrt_rulz01:

1. We didn't really start seeing the power differences until later. After 2015 most of the talk was lack of exclusives from the Xbox side. Look the X1X is not a bad system and is a BEAST. But... Quality exclusive games in the long run are more important for the Xbox brand.

2. I stopped trusting a thing Phil has been saying. Because he has been saying the same things for years. I wanna see it before I believe it. Instead of buying out the Minecraft dev they should have invested in more studios. Instead of BC they could've used that funding for more IPs.

3. I already have. But I want MS to be competitive for the sack of the gaming industry.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-5b883bb846c10

@quadknight:

Not only that but they refuse to take risks with big and new triple A games. This under Phil too. They constantly depend on third party support.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 hrt_rulz01

@quadknight: Lol, you're calling me a child? Wow. Talk about being blind to ones own hypocrisy.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 ronvalencia

@mariokart64fan said:

There's another Forza Horzion ... 4

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By ronvalencia

@blessedbyhorus said:

@hrt_rulz01:

1. We didn't really start seeing the power differences until later. After 2015 most of the talk was lack of exclusives from the Xbox side. Look the X1X is not a bad system and is a BEAST. But... Quality exclusive games in the long run are more important for the Xbox brand.

2. I stopped trusting a thing Phil has been saying. Because he has been saying the same things for years. I wanna see it before I believe it. Instead of buying out the Minecraft dev they should have invested in more studios. Instead of BC they could've used that funding for more IPs.

3. I already have. But I want MS to be competitive for the sack of the gaming industry.

2. Significant number of system programmers for BC was from Windows NT kernel group and Virtual PC software buyout. "Father of Windows NT" Dave Cutler and his team was move to Xbox Team.

Xbox Team has taken over Windows client side responsibility.

Windows Server and cloud teams are still separate from Xbox Team.