"Quit looking at my screen!" Be careful what you wish for.

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

I can't believe I'm going to miss screen looking. :(

As it stands, local multiplayer seems to be dying in current systems in favor of online play. And who knows just how the next generation will play out. (Will there be more local games? Less?)

We still get local games, but it doesn't seem as much as before. I still remember having Super Smash Bros all nighters. Can't say I've had such an experience before.

A BIG reason as to why I got consoles was local multiplayer games, and now one of their biggest advantages is slowly withering.

What say you SW? Are you going to miss local gaming?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Most shooters I play have it, but what's annoying me is that racing games seem to being getting rid of it, I have trouble finding one with split screen :evil:
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

I can understand some games that won't have it due to wanting to be a graphical leader, but some developers are clearly just using it as an excuse to not do it. More games need to have it though.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I do miss split screen, I was just talking about this with someone yesterday!

Interesting thead name, BTW:P

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

oh yeah.

N64 as a kid, nothing beat staying up 24 hours and playing Pokemon Stadium, Smash Bros 64, Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong, Rush, 1080....

then me and my friends would play Halo and Battlefront or even GTA San Andreas. I don't think split-screen/local co-op can be topped. it's a much better experience than online co-op. in which even that seems like it's being forfeited some type of generic multiplayer deathmatch.

the console version of DiRT 3 is supposed to be getting split-screen. so not every series is dropping it. while some manage to pick the feature up.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

Most shooters I play have it, but what's annoying me is that racing games seem to being getting rid of it, I have trouble finding one with split screen :evil:soulitane

yeah, that's one of the reasons I own 0 racing games for 360(other than a couple arcade titles). I couldn't find that perfect racing game AND get split-screen out of it:?

at least I can race in Halo:lol:

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I miss it every day, Tagy. Every day. :(

demonic_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 demonic_85
Member since 2009 • 1395 Posts

Actually I think I miss solid single player campaigns more since most newer games tend to focus primarily on online multiplayer.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
I won't miss it at all. In fact, I don't already. I have too much going on in my life with a job/gf and so do most of my friends who play the same games, so we rarely ever get time to actually get together and play in the same city, much less the same room.
Valiant_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Valiant_Rebel
Member since 2009 • 4197 Posts

I just thought this thread needed this image:

-

Seriously though, I'm somewhat surprised and not surprised that developers have not learned to develop both at the same time. You would think with the mainstream focus on multiplayer this gen would have expanded local play.

I can't say it being around or disappearing will bother me. I would hate to see it go away though. Should the time ever come where local multiplayer is dead, I would just play the old local play games on the older systems.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

I really miss them. I would be a really sad panda if there was no more splitscreen. :cry:

I love playing those lego games and left 4 dead with my sister.

D00nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 D00nut
Member since 2003 • 7618 Posts

I love the option and the ability to have splitscreen Lan sessions. My friends and I still have sessions of Halo, Gears, and COD whenever we are home for the breaks from college, but we all go to different schools, and I can't say I hate online gaming's domination of local. How else am I supposed to be play with my buds?

Jesus_on_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jesus_on_fire
Member since 2008 • 2022 Posts

I sure do miss them :(

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Valiant_Rebel

lol :lol:

Anyway, back on topic, of course I miss them... local MP has never bothered me but the online MP is fail in my books, so I RARELY play MPs now. The only cases when I do is because I plan on getting the platinum, but a lot of them have put me down before I reach my goal :(

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tagyhag

-

Valiant_Rebel

Hardcore :lol:

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts

I can't believe I'm going to miss screen looking. :(

As it stands, local multiplayer seems to be dying in current systems in favor of online play. And who knows just how the next generation will play out. (Will there be more local games? Less?)

We still get local games, but it doesn't seem as much as before. I still remember having Super Smash Bros all nighters. Can't say I've had such an experience before.

A BIG reason as to why I got consoles was local multiplayer games, and now one of their biggest advantages is slowly withering.

What say you SW? Are you going to miss local gaming?

tagyhag
A big reason you got consoles was for local multiplayer?! I think you mean split screen right? because the best platform by far for local multiplayer is the pc, i still have lan sessions now and then with my mates
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#17 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

:lol:

Me and my friends always referred to it as "screen watching" and if you got caught doing it you would be called a "screen watcher". Ah, good times...

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tagyhag

A big reason you got consoles was for local multiplayer?! I think you mean split screen right? because the best platform by far for local multiplayer is the pc, i still have lan sessions now and then with my matesSPBoss

Local multiplayer (Super Smash, No Mercy, Power Stone, stuff like that) and splitscreen.

You need more than 1 PC for LAN sessions.

You only need 1 console for local multiplayer. :D

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SPBoss
Lol pc also has split screen gaming you know.. but usually only racers :)
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

local multiplayer has always been my favorite way to play video games. I found myself buying POS games this gen like sacred simply because of local multiplayer.

Its a dying breed and its quite sad.... because playing online is never half as fun as having your friends in the room with you.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soulitane
Lol pc also has split screen gaming you know.. but usually only racers :) SPBoss
I tried that with blur but it needed a controller to work :(
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SPBoss
[QUOTE="SPBoss"]Lol pc also has split screen gaming you know.. but usually only racers :) soulitane

I have blur on pc, you can use one keyboard for two players, however that is utter crap Go and buy two 360 controllers ;)
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

The Wii has a lot of Local multiplayer games. SSB is probably the best Local multiplayer experience out there.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 markinthedark

[QUOTE="SPBoss"]A big reason you got consoles was for local multiplayer?! I think you mean split screen right? because the best platform by far for local multiplayer is the pc, i still have lan sessions now and then with my matestagyhag

Local multiplayer (Super Smash, No Mercy, Power Stone, stuff like that) and splitscreen.

You need more than 1 PC for LAN sessions.

You only need 1 console for local multiplayer. :D

seriously... i dont have room in my apartment for 4 computer desks... but i have room for 4 controllers. Much easier for a friend to bring over a controller instead of an entire PC.

a PC LAN party is a rare occasion that requires alot of work to setup.... it can be a real blast... but its an event you need to plan around.... not something you have 3 buddies over drinking beer and decide to do on a whim.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 soulitane
[QUOTE="soulitane"][QUOTE="SPBoss"]Lol pc also has split screen gaming you know.. but usually only racers :) SPBoss

I have blur on pc, you can use one keyboard for two players, however that is utter crap Go and buy two 360 controllers ;)

You can? It wouldn't let me, it kept saying insert second controller :evil:
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tagyhag

:lol:

Me and my friends always referred to it as "screen watching" and if you got caught doing it you would be called a "screen watcher". Ah, good times...

Master_ShakeXXX
It was "Screen looker" for me. :P Even if you didn't look, as long as you were in first place, people thought you screen looked.
Lol pc also has split screen gaming you know.. but usually only racers :) SPBoss
Yep (I played L4D splitscreen on it) But it's extremely lacking when compared to consoles.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
I have similar feelings with many games dropping local lan support on the PC and co-op for both console and PC-titles. I would much rather play with my friends than against them at LAN parties.
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

if the games me and my friends play keep getting released and support split-screen im fine, we have weekly game nights, we play street fighter, Tekken, a bit of blazblue, PES 2011 and most of our time is poured into MW2 and now Black Ops is getting the love.

last gen it was timesplitters instead of COD and the godly guilty gear instead of Blazblue.

EDIT: btw treyarch screwed local MP with Black Ops, we can't create our own accounts to save our classes and progress...etc like the past CODs and there isn't edit game rules option too :(

and the coming patch doesn't say anything about the local MP fix :x

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts
I hate split screen. I mean as a kid it was fine and some of the best time I had but now I've been spoiled by huge tvs and clear displays when ever I go split screen I find it difficult to concentration on that tiny box given to me and how limited/obscured my view seems. I'm just too used to a big screen that its annoying to have it taken away. lol
malfion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 malfion
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I think gamers and people in general prefer playing in the comfort of their own houses, and technology has sort of made it so you could "hang out" without really leaving the house(ie, instead of going to a friends to ask what he/shes doing, you can use social media,etc), and other than that, local multiplayer is always usually offered for most console games with multiplayer capabilities, so it isn't dying per se, its just neglected in favour of a more popular route.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

its alive on the wii. not that anyone cares though :P.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tagyhag

I think gamers and people in general prefer playing in the comfort of their own houses, and technology has sort of made it so you could "hang out" without really leaving the house(ie, instead of going to a friends to ask what he/shes doing, you can use social media,etc), and other than that, local multiplayer is always usually offered for most console games with multiplayer capabilities, so it isn't dying per se, its just neglected in favour of a more popular route.

malfion
What irks me, is that the online experience will never be the same as having your friends there with you in person.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 markinthedark

I hate split screen. I mean as a kid it was fine and some of the best time I had but now I've been spoiled by huge tvs and clear displays when ever I go split screen I find it difficult to concentration on that tiny box given to me and how limited/obscured my view seems. I'm just too used to a big screen that its annoying to have it taken away. lol6matt6

while its true, having your screen divided usually isnt too fantastic.... i find having actual real people in the room with me is well worth the inconvenience. Even with voice chat its never half as fun as having your buddies in the room.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#34 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

perfect dark zero homie.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

[QUOTE="malfion"]

tagyhag

What irks me, is that the online experience will never be the same as having your friends there with you in person.

yep, that's the best part of the whole experience.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#36 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Thankfully Goldeneye has it and Call of Duty has it.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Ah man 4 player split screen is where its at! You don't need fancy graphics or anything. Just need 4 controllers, 4 people, a lot of soda/pizza/beer/cheeze balls/ect. Hell I remember Mario Kart 64 on a small 19" screen. Screen peaking FTW! Games would go on for ages without doing that. Now we all have PCs and usually do LAN parties with Borderlands, WoW, ect. Wish there was 4 player split screen for PC besides playing old console games. We still do 4 player PS3 (cause it's obviously the best console :P)

The death of local co-op seems really near sadly. Lately though there've been really good ones like LBP, NSMBW, Goldeneye, The Conduit 2 (next year,) and some others. I still wish there was more.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tagyhag

Ah man 4 player split screen is where its at! You don't need fancy graphics or anything. Just need 4 controllers, 4 people, a lot of soda/pizza/beer/cheeze balls/ect. Hell I remember Mario Kart 64 on a small 19" screen. Screen peaking FTW! Games would go on for ages without doing that. Now we all have PCs and usually do LAN parties with Borderlands, WoW, ect. Wish there was 4 player split screen for PC besides playing old console games. We still do 4 player PS3 (cause it's obviously the best console :P)

The death of local co-op seems really near sadly. Lately though there've been really good ones like LBP, NSMBW, Goldeneye, The Conduit 2 (next year,) and some others. I still wish there was more.

ChubbyGuy40
Yeah they're still around, just not as prominent.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Miss it...
IceBlazerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 IceBlazerX
Member since 2010 • 3286 Posts
Yes, I am.
coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

Back in the day when I had no internet, me and my friends went to a computer club every morning playing CS 1.5 or Quake 3 arena :D

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

But with OnLive you can look at everyone's screen. :lol:

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

-

Valiant_Rebel

I remember doing that years ago with my brother. :lol: It sounded like a good idea at the time, but the person under the blanket/towel always got too hot and had to stop playing to get some air. :P

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tagyhag

But with OnLive you can look at everyone's screen. :?

Rikusaki
But you can't teleport them to be next to you. :P
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts
[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

But with OnLive you can look at everyone's screen. :?

tagyhag
But you can't teleport them to be next to you. :P

I'm sure OnLive will offer portals once the technology is there. :)
walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts
Halo:CE Lan Partys = Epic
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#47 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41536 Posts
Oh yeah. It's actually one of the reasons I still like Tt's Lego games (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter), Fighting games (Tatsunoko vs Capcom), etc. They still have local multiplayer. Online is fine and all, but whatever happened to having a friend or family member playing with you in the same room?
mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts
Most shooters I play have it, but what's annoying me is that racing games seem to being getting rid of it, I have trouble finding one with split screen :evil:soulitane
this, dirt 2 should have splitscreen. It alright though there are quite a few with splitscreen, especially on 360, but PS3 has its fair share as well. But agreed its not as much as lat gen.
Avatar image for deactivated-57f6810aefea1
deactivated-57f6810aefea1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-57f6810aefea1
Member since 2009 • 497 Posts

If i buy a game on xbox that has the option to be played co-op, i will definately play it co-op. did it with Gears 1+2, Halo 3, RE5, Lego Indiana Jones, L4D 1+2... And i also play endless ssf4 with my buddies. A game is so much more fun with your friend say right next to you. Goldeneye 4 player vs on the N64 was the business, tho.

more games should have it. I bought Pure a while back, and was shocked when i discovered that you cant do split screen. its quite outrageous.

emperorzhang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 emperorzhang66
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts
Another reason i'm still with halo. Especially splitscreen online. Thats just awesome..