PS5 is so much more expensive than X Series and PC gaming over this generation.

• 137 results
Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

And it all comes down to one factor: COST. Owning a PS5 means you'll have to spend tons of dollars on expensive games, some as much as $70 a pop! Xbox and PC owners enjoy Game Pass which gives tons of great games for just $10-$15 per month, but here's the catch: YOU CAN PAY FOR IT WITH MICROSOFT POINTS, which means it ends up costing NOTHING for smart people.

Every day you can get 50 points per achievement, you can earn points for almost everything you do within the Microsoft ecosystem. Buy or rent some movies, earn points. Buy big anticipated new AAA titles, earn points. Buy some discounted games, earn points. Participate in daily quiz entries, earn points. Donate to worthwhile charities, earn points. Use the browser or app to look up things like we all do daily on the net, earn points.

Why doesn't Sony offer anything similar? To milk cows, that's why.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

If Sony’s exclusives were of the same quality as MS’s they might also have given them away for cheap.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@Sushiglutton said:

If Sony’s exclusives were of the same quality as MS’s they might also have given them away for cheap.

I have a PS4 Pro and have played just as many, if not more, Playstation exclusives and sorry, that's just not true on any level. Sony is going to be in big trouble this gen if they try to rely solely on the exclusives this gen. They desperately need better features and some kind of answer to Game Pass.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Straight-to-DVD kind of a deal some may say.

But yea, it sucks, but i am reselling all my games when i am done with them, so they do not cost me as much as someone buying digitally.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Nope, A) Only ever buy games on sale, whatever the platform, and B) do not pay for subs. PS5/X1X are significantly cheaper than PC. Thank Intel/AMD/Nvidia.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Microsoft Rewards only exists to draw traffic to their failed Bing search engine.

I prefer to spend $70 on high quality games over paying a subscription fee to rent crap like Bleeding Edge and Grounded.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Both consoles have a number of hidden costs you do not get with PC. $420 over the life of the next generation will be spent on online access alone for the PS5 and the Xbox consoles. As the latest generation of consoles are still getting beat by 4 year old gaming PCs, there will have to be a mid generation "pro" console to catch up by a couple years, so another $399-$499.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Eoten
@Sushiglutton said:

Sony exclusives? Like what? The Last of Us? Lmfao. If that's quality to you, you may just get the fanboy of the year award. Or maybe you were thinking God of War. I tried one of those, an hour in I still didn't have full control over the character or the camera. It was like watching a shitty CGI movie with some random button prompts thrown in, so I quit.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

Every system has its costs. It all depends what you want. A gaming PC that can produce the best settings and performance can easily cost a couple thousand. With PC, you also must buy games digitally. That will easily cost you more than buying physical console games. People like to point out that PC games get discounted, so do console games 🙂

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eoten

@SolidGame_basic said:

Every system has its costs. It all depends what you want. A gaming PC that can produce the best settings and performance can easily cost a couple thousand. With PC, you also must buy games digitally. That will easily cost you more than buying physical console games. People like to point out that PC games get discounted, so do console games 🙂

If you're admitting PC games get discounted then saying "so do console games" then you cannot make the claim that console games are going to cost less. Besides, PC users move past discs many years ago. It's an outdated medium like the CD-ROM and the floppy disk. It also doesn't cost a couple thousand to build a gaming PC. It doesn't even cost one thousand to build a gaming PC that beats consoles.

You really don't know much about building PCs, or gaming on them, do you?

Tell me, is the PS5 an 8K console?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

*Looks at my backlog of PS Plus games still untouched while I still enjoy my PS5.*

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10614 Posts

@eoten said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

If you're admitting PC games get discounted then saying "so do console games" then you cannot make the claim that console games are going to cost less. Besides, PC users move past discs many years ago. It's an outdated medium like the CD-ROM and the floppy disk. It also doesn't cost a couple thousand to build a gaming PC. It doesn't even cost one thousand to build a gaming PC that beats consoles.

Can you build a current PC that beat our a ps5 for 400 bucks?

I personally know a guy who primarily game on PC, and while there are advantages, there's also some disadvantages as well. Rabid hermits try to make it out like PC is just as "plug n play" as consoles and it's not. I know from ACTUAL experience.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

@ermacness said:
@eoten said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

I personally know a guy who primarily game on PC, and while there are advantages, there's also some disadvantages as well. Rabid hermits try to make it out like PC is just as "plug n play" as consoles and it's not. I know from ACTUAL experience.

i mean i love the know what legal term their 4k and 8k is. seeing i dont see any certification's badges on it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

That first post 😆

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Eoten
@ermacness said:
@eoten said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Apparently someone did it 4 years ago and only spent $500. And PC is plug and play. If you cannot figure out how to play games on a PC, that's a you problem. It ain't rocket science. You probably actually believe the PS5 is a 4K120 console or can do 8K.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@briguyb13 said:

And it all comes down to one factor: COST. Owning a PS5 means you'll have to spend tons of dollars on expensive games, some as much as $70 a pop! Xbox and PC owners enjoy Game Pass which gives tons of great games for just $10-$15 per month, but here's the catch: YOU CAN PAY FOR IT WITH MICROSOFT POINTS, which means it ends up costing NOTHING for smart people.

Every day you can get 50 points per achievement, you can earn points for almost everything you do within the Microsoft ecosystem. Buy or rent some movies, earn points. Buy big anticipated new AAA titles, earn points. Buy some discounted games, earn points. Participate in daily quiz entries, earn points. Donate to worthwhile charities, earn points. Use the browser or app to look up things like we all do daily on the net, earn points.

I guess that shit call PS now doesn't exist on PS any more.

You know that service that has mmm 700+ PS games including more than 300 PS4 games when gamepass doesn't reach 200.

By the way your argument is completely stupid you don't own games on gamepass, and unless you plan on skipping most mayor 3rd party games i don't see how that would work.

The PS5 is a better option if you have gamefly you know because you can play tons of games and not just MS crumbs, you can actually get many new 3rd party games.

If you are going to rent do it right, by the way gamefly would serve you for xbox,switch,ps5 and movie.😊

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Eoten

@tormentos said:
@briguyb13 said:

I guess that shit call PS now doesn't exist on PS any more.

You know that service that has mmm 700+ PS games including more than 300 PS4 games when gamepass doesn't reach 200.

By the way your argument is completely stupid you don't own games on gamepass, and unless you plan on skipping most mayor 3rd party games i don't see how that would work.

The PS5 is a better option if you have gamefly you know because you can play tons of games and not just MS crumbs, you can actually get many new 3rd party games.

If you are going to rent do it right, by the way gamefly would serve you for xbox,switch,ps5 and movie.😊

I have PS Now on PC. Most the games on that service are streamed, like cloud gaming and not installed like most Game Pass games are. It's fine for most single player stuff because there was a noticeable amount of input lag with the service.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Well yeah, more expensive than xbox for sure, if you're using gamepass only on Xbox.

I have it on pc, and the library just isn't there yet.

I've always maintained that in the long run, PC can be just as cheap as a console, if you're smart about picking parts, and factor in the costs to play online.

At this very moment though, I'm not so sure thats true. Then again, PS5 is technically $1000 CAD or more right now if you actually want one :P

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Eoten

@appariti0n said:

Well yeah, more expensive than xbox for sure, if you're using gamepass only on Xbox.

I have it on pc, and the library just isn't there yet.

I've always maintained that in the long run, PC can be just as cheap as a console, if you're smart about picking parts, and factor in the costs to play online.

At this very moment though, I'm not so sure thats true. Then again, PS5 is technically $1000 CAD or more right now if you actually want one :P

Oh, it was true a long time ago. When the PS4/XBO were about to be released, I took $600 and built a gaming PC. It surpassed not only both consoles in performance, but also their pro versions too. I didn't have to pay a single online subscription which would have been an additional $420 on top of the $499 initial price. I spent less on the gaming PC, and it still plays games better than either console. I simply chose to replace it almost 2 years ago because unlike console players, I won't settle for 30fps.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Unless you have a pile of microsoft points sitting around on your MS rewards account you probably won't be able to afford to pay for Xbox or PC game pass every month if you are a new gamepass member or an old one. Yeah gamepass is great and possibly reduces the cost of buying games every year for a lot of people but for most people it's going to take awhile for them to be able to afford to pay their gamepass/gamepass ultimate subscriptions via microsoft rewards. Microsoft does provide a lot of incentives to get points for new or old users though.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11088 Posts

I mean, if we're playing that game, you can just purchase PSNow to play old games too... A LOT of them. Not the mention the ones from the PS+ collection too. We're still a long way from Xbox first-party content popping off to make regular GP subs worth it. Also, people will always want to own games, Xbox's rental service isn't going to just make that disappear.

I hope you factored in all the major third party content that WON'T come to GP. You just gonna stay in the sub bubble? Hell, if anything, that might drive pubs away from Xbox if a lot of the base aren't willing to pay full price for games anymore.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Eoten

All Game Pass needs to do to be worth it is offer two new titles PER YEAR that you would have paid for yourself. That's $120 you would have spent on those two games that would cover the Game Pass subscription for that year.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts

@briguyb13 said:
@Sushiglutton said:

I have a PS4 Pro and have played just as many, if not more, Playstation exclusives and sorry, that's just not true on any level. Sony is going to be in big trouble this gen if they try to rely solely on the exclusives this gen. They desperately need better features and some kind of answer to Game Pass.

Are you arguing Xbox first party games rival Sony? They may someday but right now it's not even close.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

IKR?

Even worst Nintendo does exact same thing but somehow gets a pass. They dont even have Gamepass or PSNow equivalent and their output last year was horrible. What a terrible company.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@eoten said:
@ermacness said:
@eoten said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Apparently someone did it 4 years ago and only spent $500. And PC is plug and play. If you cannot figure out how to play games on a PC, that's a you problem. It ain't rocket science. You probably actually believe the PS5 is a 4K120 console or can do 8K.

Proof? Because we all know that's a load of BS.

espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 espoac
Member since 2005 • 4342 Posts

While GamePass is a great value I never see anyone thinking of its long term implications for the industry. Should the average consumer really be thrilled that we now have a company competing not by attempting to offer better games but by throwing practically endless amounts of money at a popular but unprofitable service? What is the consumer experience going to be like if MS ever succeeds in truly cornering the market? Maybe I'm worrying for no good reason but these things should at least be brought up.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Sony exclusives are best watched on Youtube for free, its just you cows aren't smart enough to realise this yet.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

Game Pass has a pretty poor lineup to be honest and if Sony continues to provide more interesting exclusives, I would rather play them

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@Fairmonkey said:

Game Pass has a pretty poor lineup to be honest and if Sony continues to provide more interesting exclusives, I would rather play them

"poor lineup" ? What alternate reality are you living in?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@eoten: Why do you keep saying this? People don't, and as shown from last gen, don't buy the pro systems. It's not a requirement, you aren't forced to do so. I still have my base ps4, still playing games just as well as it did day one.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

xbox has it sewn up.

Avowed and elder scrolls 6 destroy everything ps5 has to offer..and that’s without the other huge titles such as hellblade 2,halo infinite,gears 6,fable,FH5 and project dark just to name a few.

sony has the sales.....but you cant play sales

HaH

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Eoten

@vfighter said:

@eoten: Why do you keep saying this? People don't, and as shown from last gen, don't buy the pro systems. It's not a requirement, you aren't forced to do so. I still have my base ps4, still playing games just as well as it did day one.

Even if you do not buy the Pro system, you're still spending over $400 over the next 7 years for online services and you absolutely can build a gaming PC for under $800 that'll outperform consoles, even outperform the pro versions when those come out. And the PS5 already has over heating issues. You had better hope it doesn't turn into an Xbox 360 in terms of longevity or you'll be buying more PS5s just to replace the broken ones.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@eoten: So I take that as a nah.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@Fairmonkey said:

Having GP on PC is more of a Godsend to me as I don't need to invest another $500 console just to play a few MS games. GP has a nice selection of games "if" you see a game that catches your fancy that is.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Eoten

Game Pass on PC can certainly improve though. There are still many games only available on Xbox consoles that would be nice to be able to play. And I wouldn't mind seeing Xbox release their retro stuff like their Perfect Dark and Banjo titles which were improved for their Xbox Arcade releases. But in 2020 since I started Game Pass on PC, I've played, and continue to play more than enough games that would have cost way more than $120.

I may buy a Series S just for some of their Xbox Arcade titles and some of the improved versions of OG Xbox titles that play on the XBO and Series consoles, so if they came to PC before I did that, that'd be another $300 saved. I have to give credit for PS Now having more older stuff available on PC that I never got to play because I never bought a PS3 or PS4, and won't be getting a PS5.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

@eoten said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Buying digitally is a sunk cost. I can recoup money by selling games. I can lend games, and a friend can lend them to me. Sorry, but that's just a fact 😉 I've had a gaming PC for a while now. Prove to me that you can build a PC that is 4k 60fps max settings that is not more expensive than a gaming console.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Eoten

@SolidGame_basic said:
@eoten said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Buying digitally is a sunk cost. I can recoup money by selling games. I can lend games, and a friend can lend them to me. Sorry, but that's just a fact 😉 I've had a gaming PC for a while now. Prove to me that you can build a PC that is 4k 60fps max settings that is not more expensive than a gaming console.

You can share games on PC as well. Steam lets you share libraries with others. And not even the 3080 or 6800XT will play next gen games max settings at 60fps. You know what that means, don't you? It means your PS5 isn't going to either.

ShinM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ShinM
Member since 2020 • 35 Posts

Lems arguing with themselves at this point, people think with all the devs at Sony disposal that they wont have games coming out the ass ?

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

@briguyb13 said:

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

@eoten: pc wishes it had the performance that ps5 does. Can’t touch that load speed.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Eoten

@sheevpalpamemes said:

@eoten: pc wishes it had the performance that ps5 does. Can’t touch that load speed.

You don't seriously believe that do you?

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I generally agree with you but it's how the consumer handles it that really matters.

Game Pass Ultimate costs $180 a year. PS+ costs $60 a year, but you can probably get it for $40 or 50 on a sale.

So would you rather have 2 brand new games a year and PS+ (which includes those PS4 hits) or Game Pass Ultimate?

Since Game Pass includes a lot of great games from previous gens, plus some new games at launch I think it's the better deal.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#44 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69470 Posts

@drummerdave9099: I get Gamepass ONLY when they have the 40-50% off deals. 😁

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 734 Posts

You know, I'm sitting here playing my PS5 with the PS Plus collection and some nice quality games that are given to me for free every month as a PS Plus member which only costs me $30 a year. I feel like I'm coming out ahead. I do think Game Pass is worth it, but I have a ton of stuff to play on my PS5 and Switch. No need for a subscription service.

Whenever this argument is brought up I find it kind of perplexing. I have a massive backlog of free games to play, and it's barely cost me anything.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@drummerdave9099: Two brand new physical games (or actually a lot of physical games because I'm a deal hunter, aka cheap) and PS+ for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

The other day I saw a stream talking about Chronos: Before the Ashes so I made a thread about it on Gamefaqs, asking what people thought about it. Some poster informed me it's a prequel to another game called Remnant: From the Ashes, a game I've never heard of. I checked it out on Amazon going for $30 so I almost bought it, but then I noticed it's on Game Pass.

Even when I don't expect it to, it ends up saving me even more money.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

@davillain-: I agree that it is nice that it's on PC but I don't see anything that I'm more excited for than God of War 2 for example

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Eoten

@briguyb13 said:

The other day I saw a stream talking about Chronos: Before the Ashes so I made a thread about it on Gamefaqs, asking what people thought about it. Some poster informed me it's a prequel to another game called Remnant: From the Ashes, a game I've never heard of. I checked it out on Amazon going for $30 so I almost bought it, but then I noticed it's on Game Pass.

Even when I don't expect it to, it ends up saving me even more money.

I had a similar situation with the Ori games. I was thinking that it looked like an interesting game I might like, I was waffling on whether or not I thought I'd like it enough to buy it, then I find it on Game Pass. Problem solved.

Another way it has saved me money is with a game I probably would have bought, but it was on Game Pass instead so I got it there, and it turned out to be so bad I'm glad I didn't actually pay money for it. "Outer Worlds" fit's into this category.

And then, not really saving any money, but a pleasant surprise is games I wouldn't have bought because I didn't think I'd like it, but since it was on Game Pass and there was no risk to try it I downloaded it and liked it a lot. Descenders is one.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

@Pedro said:

@drummerdave9099: I get Gamepass ONLY when they have the 40-50% off deals. 😁

So you mean, any day of the week? $1/month is all it’s worth