Project Natal.. What is your unbiased opinions on it?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-supercharged-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 -supercharged-
Member since 2006 • 5820 Posts

If you dont know what Project Natal is here is a summary..

Project Natal tracks where your body is and what you're doing with it. It also has a monochrome camera (it works with infrared) that reads depth — how far away your body and its component parts are — and a highly specialized microphone that can pick up voice commands. Along with all this hardware, it's got a ton of software that tells the Xbox how to find your body's various joints (it tracks 48 of them), how to keep track of multiple players at the same time, how to tell your Hawaiian shirt apart from the colorful wallpaper behind you, and so on. Microsoft even did an acoustic study of living rooms, so Project Natal can tell when you're talking, when your buddies are talking and when somebody in the game is talking, so it knows whom to take voice commands from.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44144 Posts

I'm easily excitable by sweet new tech so... just sayin :P

Though I'm not certain about it's lasting appeal and I always, always want the option to use the standard 360 controller.

doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts

if ive not played it yet how could i possibly give an opinion.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26104 Posts
I think it has the most potential of the three. But it will also be the hardest to succeed. All I need is a good Rare game for it, but others will think differently, especially with their "hardcore" system now being casualized.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26104 Posts

doobie1975
Because you are on System Wars.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

From what I've seen, I'm not excited. I'm all about actual exclusive amazing games to show off the tech. What I've seen so far was...dissappointing.

That doesn't mean E3 won't change my mind, but it's all about the exclusive amazing software that will get me to buy it, same for PS Move.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
There really isn't much that you can do with Natal. I mean yes you can do a lot of things but for the most part it's actually counter intuitive... I'm far more excited about Sony's move TBH.
doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts
[QUOTE="doobie1975"]

Willy105
Because you are on System Wars.

ok fair point. i think its amazing then
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#9 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
What more can I say about it without having used it other than weather or not I'm interested in it? In which case, no, I'm not. Same goes for that Playstation move or what ever. Looking at how Wii games rarely uses motion controls for more than a mere substitute for pressing button I doubt I'm going to want to bother with the next line of motion controlled game/peripherals.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
Just look at those pictures. Do you really want to look like the people in those pictures? Motion control just seems gimmicky to me.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

An unbiased oppinion on SW? good luck :P

Ah joke aside...

To start off, Natal is not something aimed at me, It is not something that I would care about, nor to hate, I am indifferent so to say.

But! I can see a potential in it, for gaming and for other applications, If it works right then it would make for one kick-arse addition to any home cinema.

Gamingwise I do feel that they should have given it its own processor and ram,hopefully that would shorten the latency of it, and maybe made it more precise? I wouldbe far more interrested in it, if they had taken that route.

As for gaming with it, I see itas an addition to the controler, not a replacement as most people do.

I can see the genious of it, if you in FPS games, could use handsignals instead of always use the mic, and in RPGs have it be able to read facial expressions, and ability (or even force) you to say teh sentencesfrom the options (for an immersion perspective), while having the gamedecoding your expression, so it wouldread the sentences as threats/friendly and so on. I would consider that kinda fun.

So as a short answer, I do not like Natal as they promote it, but I can see uses for it.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts
im very interested in seeing what devs come up with for it.
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

I'm interested on how it could be used to play games such as Halo.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts
unsure, I don't like that rare is focousing on it rather than making a conker, Kameo, or PD game. I hope that Fazely studio can take the rein from them, although thats a slim chance. Natal its self looks intresing but I like controllers. if Rare can make a really good game I could change my mind. I like the interface though, It'll be pretty cool with live, but again if this begins to replace controllers in MS's 1st party then that would stink. I look forward to a career in game design and I like creativity and this has lots of potential in it it just that there is no way this could beat the percision of a controller. It feels kinda limited. I hope that 343 keeps halo away from it. and Rare makes a few controller based games. PD2 natal would stink. I don't want Forza 4 natal (although a controller would obviously be a must, there is no way MS would be dumb enough to make FM4 natal only) I wouldn't mind a choice like that. but I hope the industry doesn't shift to focusing on natal and the PSmove. and if it does then I guess that I will open my own studio dedicated to core games( but I doubt that the industry will drop the people willing to pay 400 bucks for thier console, if they do than console gaming will die). I'll go to PC.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Could be good, but it won't replace the controller.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I want to try but i wont pay for it this gen. Ill wait since next gen it will most likelly come with the next Xbox...

KratosTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KratosTwin
Member since 2008 • 894 Posts

I'm not hyped for Natal at all, but the same thing goes for the PS Move.

xxThyLordxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xxThyLordxx
Member since 2007 • 3200 Posts
not excited. seriously, no controller? it will be a massive flop. quote me on that.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

If its used as shown so far, I think it won't be that popular. However, it really could work as a sweet peice of DJ equipment--or make a great addition at a childrens hospital, seriously(or rehabilitation center).

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

i have no opinion on it since I haven't touch it.

though it would be nice to see the next TES game using it.

KratosTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KratosTwin
Member since 2008 • 894 Posts

nt--or make a great addition at a childrens hospital, seriously(or rehabilitation center).

Heirren

This is a very good point. I have even seen the Wii used at such places as well and it is beneficial for these locations.

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts
I really like the idea that it can track your body movements in 3D, but I can't see the Natal used for much more than casual games, since having no controller and no buttons really limits the posibilities (I'm thinking advanced eye-toy games). I know they've done a demonstartion of playing Burnout Paradise with that, but seriously, it looked pretty awkward to play. Just how long can you stretch out your arms to pretend holding a steering wheel before they get tired? I'm curious what other ways there are to incorporate that tech into "core" games.
player_leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 player_leo
Member since 2002 • 1483 Posts
Yes, this will revolutionize user-interface, both console and PC. Minority Report here we come.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I think it has the most potential of the three. But it will also be the hardest to succeed. All I need is a good Rare game for it, but others will think differently, especially with their "hardcore" system now being casualized.Willy105

yep but i really find it will seen as casual.

BiggGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BiggGaming
Member since 2009 • 345 Posts

Honestly I think NATAL looks like a disaster.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

I don't want it, It was interesting maybe at one point but once they took the dedicated processor out of the camera and now that it relies on the 360 it self, I'm not interested at all.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

looks worse than both sony's and nintendo's motion controls.

IkeDavis360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 IkeDavis360
Member since 2010 • 68 Posts
looks better than sonys and nintendos
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
It looks extremely dumb.. The wii control set up has only be better then a controller for a select few games.. By and large it either matches a controler (Zelda TP, Mario Galaxy) in being a different way but in no way superior.. Or it has been a absolute diseaster (Marvel Ultimate Alliance) to where the game is ruined by it.
Munasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Munasha
Member since 2004 • 459 Posts
For me its like controlling your real car waving left to turn left and waving right to go right.....I'd rather actual hold something....And the other question is, is it going to be accurate as the commercial
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#31 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

I am not excited about the Move or Natal. I do have a question though, i am wondering if there is any huge difference which makes Natal completely different to the Eyetoy?
I have an eyetoy for my PS2 and its not very enjoyable i think i got maybe 30 minutes play out of it before i was sick of it.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

I have yet to see anything really impressive on it, nor have I heard of anything hype wise that would make me want to buy it.

That being said, I am interested in what developers may create for it, so hope there is something to change my mind.

Also, if they don't take care of the lag issue, it'll be a bust.

kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kingsfan_0333
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts

My honest unbiased opinion is that people shouldn't make unbiased opinions before actually using Natal.

I don't see how Natal can be a disaster - at the very LEAST it's going to be huge for mini games and casual fun. You aren't going to be forced to buy it, and it's going to be fairly cheap...so it's really a low risk/high reward situation for MS.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Natal and Move don't impress me, both seem like a cop out to cash in on the motion market. I can guarantee both will probably see moderate sucess with Move seeing a better responce from the hardcore audience due to the controls giving more fluidity. I say this because I can't see Natal providing any accurate feedback within the margin more "Core" gamers would demand. Natal will probably see a larger responce from the casual market as it's going to be better advertised and more well fleshed out for casual gamers. Thats my honest opinion, it could go either way though.
Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

its just an eye toy. I dont want to play racing games without a controller. Thats just dumb

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

If it's bundled with the rumored Slim60 with killer launch titles, I could see this doing very well.

p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 p2250
Member since 2003 • 1520 Posts

I got a feeling it will be a total flop, right up there with the PowerGlove.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

From what I've seen, I'm not excited. I'm all about actual exclusive amazing games to show off the tech. What I've seen so far was...dissappointing.

That doesn't mean E3 won't change my mind, but it's all about the exclusive amazing software that will get me to buy it, same for PS Move.

SolidTy

cmon now. you telling me you didnt get chills when that boy was playing as that giant monster going threw that town? the kid in me cant wait to play that lol

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

monson21502

cmon now. you telling me you didnt get chills when that boy was playing as that giant monster going threw that town? the kid in me cant wait to play that lol

haha that E3 was EMBARRASSING. Good jokes came from that. Not as embarrassing as "Its RIDGE RACER!" but close. Gotta love the embarrassing moments on E3.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I like how I can use it outside of gaming and I'm interested in that more than anything.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#41 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
I think the concept behind it is cute, but way overhyped. Keep in mind, I think Move is about the same, maybe not as hyped, but same general problem.
SSJ_Nega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SSJ_Nega
Member since 2005 • 3171 Posts

I really couldn't care less about it, just like the wiimote and the playstation thing. I'm not a fan of motion controls and I doubt this can change my mind.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

I'm not excited just yet, but I'm not going to dismiss it either considering what little we do know about it. I mean, it looks okay but how will it work for certain genres is really the biggest question.

It'll be a hard sell for me though, since I no longer own a 360. :P

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#44 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

I think it is an impressive piece of tech, and could offer some interesting gaming situations, but it seems to me as nothing more than an improved PSEye, and that wasn't exactly that much fun, at least for me. The lack of a controller just bugs me to no end. If I'd at any time move to create an experience, I'd just do it in the real world.

-supercharged-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 -supercharged-
Member since 2006 • 5820 Posts

not excited. seriously, no controller? it will be a massive flop. quote me on that.xxThyLordxx

What would you consider a massive flop? I'm sure its going to sell

tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tok1879
Member since 2005 • 1537 Posts
Not excited about it. But it does look interesting. More so than the PS Move. And I predict that it will sell much better than the Move. There's just so many things going against the move when compared to Natal.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#47 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
I don't have a xbox 360, so no. But I do believe this could have immense potential...unlike Sony's Istealnintendosideas clone.
tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tok1879
Member since 2005 • 1537 Posts
Could be good, but it won't replace the controller.SaltyMeatballs
And this. People keep talking about how you need buttons, they forget that unlike the Move you can actually use Natal while holding your controller properly.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Opinions are biased. That is why they are opinions. I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to Natal and Move.

Avatar image for LiquidSnake1001
LiquidSnake1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LiquidSnake1001
Member since 2009 • 673 Posts
To be honest it looked like some kind of revolution from the video at the conference, but I was still in shock by MGSR so I couldn't take it in. Anyway thinking about it no matter how good the tech it's only going to be used for casual games, there's no way you could play ME3 using it. I'm way more hyped for move, it's what Wii should have been.