cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

It will get an 8/10 here by Tamoor. It isnt a Japanese made game. But it really is this year's Doom. "Return to old school manly game".

A game that is not easy and expects a memory of tactics read rather than opening emails for the sake of opening them. My GOTY contenders are Nioh, Horizon and Prey so far.

I would say "discuss" but I really dont care what anybody else's opinion is because it doesnt pay my bills anyway.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

With Prey's quality, it is possible.

But with BOTY and Persona 5 at the next block, I highly doubt it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

With Zelda existing? Don't kid yourself. I don't doubt Prey is good, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

Would this year's Dishonored 2 make more sense?

They're both immersive sims right?

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

From what I've heard and seen its pretty solid, but that's all it may be in regards to GOTY contention. Nothing will knock off BOTW. Only Mario Odyessy or on the super slim chance RDR2 comes out this year

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#6 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@jumpaction said:

Yes both are.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#7 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

No doubt.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

Unless new Metro release this year. Unless System shock remake release this year.

PREY is GOTY.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

It'll either be broken or it will be average.

Can you not just discredit japan's video games when they've released stuff like the soulsborne games, mgs, etc etc?

Some japanese games are meh, a lot of western games are shit, however the ones that people are prancing as their goty games like nier automata and for me yakuza 0, these are top tier games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@jumpaction said:

I only played Dishonored 2 but it launched in November last year :)

Prey looks like a true GOTY contender for me. But I'll need some 50 hours time or so to get really into the game.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

It will get an 8/10 here by Tamoor. It isnt a Japanese made game. But it really is this year's Doom. "Return to old school manly game".

A game that is not easy and expects a memory of tactics read rather than opening emails for the sake of opening them. My GOTY contenders are Nioh, Horizon and Prey so far.

I would say "discuss" but I really dont care what anybody else's opinion is because it doesnt pay my bills anyway.

I saw what you did here lol

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cainetao11

@indzman said:
@cainetao11 said:

You saw me express my opinion? Have you deluded yourself into believing this has been anything but, all these years?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@Cloud_imperium: I haven't had the chance to play Prey yet but it's definitely on my wish list. It's my kind of game. :)

@R4gn4r0k: If it's as good as the other immersive sims we've seen or even just decent in its own right, it's definitely going to be something I'll love too.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cainetao11

@jumpaction: You actually get to dodge or get hit by your opponents attacks, based on your real time skills!!! Its so weird, Dude!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@cainetao11: It looks and sounds really good. I can't wait to play it for myself!

FenderKiller17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FenderKiller17
Member since 2017 • 122 Posts

I've played about 12 hours so far. It is challenging for sure! It can get a little tedious at times with three different "bars" to top off almost constantly throughout the story. I think I'm about 3/4 of the way through.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k

@jumpaction said:

@R4gn4r0k: If it's as good as the other immersive sims we've seen or even just decent in its own right, it's definitely going to be something I'll love too.

Have you played the original Dishonored and its DLC ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@R4gn4r0k: Yes. :)

I really enjoyed it! I would love to play it again, actually with a higher difficulty setting and going for a more competitive result at the end of my missions.

I do think that Dishonored 2 is better built for this replayability. Not just because of the the character select and restrictions you can put on magic but also how easy it is to replay missions and select between missions since the update they made.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k

@jumpaction said:

@R4gn4r0k: Yes. :)

I really enjoyed it! I would love to play it again, actually with a higher difficulty setting and going for a more competitive result at the end of my missions.

I do think that Dishonored 2 is better built for this replayability. Not just because of the the character select and restrictions you can put on magic but also how easy it is to replay missions and select between missions since the update they made.

I see both the original and Dishonored 2 as amazing games.

I finished Dishonored 1 and its DLC about 3 times, with lots of time in between.

But I also finished Dishonored 2 three times in a row... Was planning to do a fourth run through combining both Corvo's and Emily's powers but other games got in the way :)

Especially in the Dishonored 1 DLC and Dishonored 2 you can just have a lot of fun with the powers. Dishonored 1 allows this too but it does not have a new game plus, where you unlock all powers at the start.

Plus I just really love the worlds you are going through in Dishonored 1&2. They just ooze style and personality, like these places actually exist somewhere in the world, instead of being designed by a level designer :P

I really hope Dishonored 2 gets DLC as well, would love to see its mechanics shine in even more levels :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@R4gn4r0k: That's gotta be Harvey Smith's doing. He has a history of being part of games where places are designed to be believable places and then the mechanics are designed around them.

I haven't tried it yet but do you know how the game holds up when you remove certain UI elements like markers from the screen? I get the impression they are still designed around this but I'd like to know if you had experience with that.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Nah. You could just call it now. It's BotW for 2017. Time to start thinking about GOTY for 2018 now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I think its the highlighted line.

@cainetao11 said:
@indzman said:

@cainetao11 said:

You saw me express my opinion? Have you deluded yourself into believing this has been anything but, all these years?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k

@jumpaction said:

@R4gn4r0k: That's gotta be Harvey Smith's doing. He has a history of being part of games where places are designed to be believable places and then the mechanics are designed around them.

I haven't tried it yet but do you know how the game holds up when you remove certain UI elements like markers from the screen? I get the impression they are still designed around this but I'd like to know if you had experience with that.

Glad you asked, I personally like as few HUD - elements as possible as I think that too much HUD can break immersion and the fourth wall.

Especially Assassin's Creed is a bad student in that regard, as I think it has just way too many HUD elements.

As for Dishonored you need a certain amount of HUD elements for the game to remain playable:

1. Mana and Health bar: these are vital information, but they can pop in and out when necessary like say Gears of war does it
  2. And indicator of what power you have currently equipped
  3. A crosshair to be able to tell where you arrows will fly, your powers will be cast, but I opt for the simple (dot) crosshair
  4. A chevron showing you your objective (but since Dishonored is quite linear, and if you already finished it, you can turn it off)
  5. Also a notification telling you your stance (i.e. if you are crouched and less visible)

Dishonored 1 &2 allow for many customizations and tweaks to the HUD and if you are a Dishonored Veteran you can do with way less HUD elements... and have a more immersive experience :)

Here are a few examples from my gameplay:

Notice here: lots of info being displayed to the player, side quest chevron, main quest chevron, stance indicator and health/mana bars as well as the current equipped power
Notice here: lots of info being displayed to the player, side quest chevron, main quest chevron, stance indicator and health/mana bars as well as the current equipped power
Here you can see fewer information displayed to the player, only a stance indicator, crosshair and quest chevron. Power/mana/health are not displayed as they are not necessary at the moment
Here you can see fewer information displayed to the player, only a stance indicator, crosshair and quest chevron. Power/mana/health are not displayed as they are not necessary at the moment
Notice here: very few information displayed to the player. Only the crosshair and a few chevrons. Adding to extra immersion
Notice here: very few information displayed to the player. Only the crosshair and a few chevrons. Adding to extra immersion

Dishonored 2 also has the same level of customization. So if you finish it like once you can definitely go for less information on the screen and go for more immersion :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@R4gn4r0k: I don't mind vital information such as that on display. It's more like map markers that I'm thinking of switching off in my next playthrough.

It's been a while since I played Dishonored but I do recall D2 had many in-game maps that can be viewed to find your way around. I am going to give it a shot. I have been meaning to tackle D2 a second time so that's what I will do. Thank you. :)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k

@jumpaction said:

@R4gn4r0k: I don't mind vital information such as that on display. It's more like map markers that I'm thinking of switching off in my next playthrough.

It's been a while since I played Dishonored but I do recall D2 had many in-game maps that can be viewed to find your way around. I am going to give it a shot. I have been meaning to tackle D2 a second time so that's what I will do. Thank you. :)

Well, there is no such thing as a mini map available. Which can be a bit jarring coming from other games (most games have a mini map)

But since Dishonored is all about finding your own way and exploring all you really get are mission indicators, chevrons, and it's all up to you to find your own way through the level. Which I really like.

What I do in Dishonored anyway is just explore everything to find runes and bonecharms, so I guess this game can be played without chevrons if you just explore heavily... but I haven't tried that.

Also if you replay Dishonored 2 you have an option to do a new game plus now, letting you choose from both Emily's and Corvo's powers whoever you choose to play as.

I'm definitely gonna replay Dishonored and Dishonored 2 again, the games are just so much fun to try out different stuff in :D

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k

@jumpaction: Oh and by the way, there is also an achievement in Dishonored 1&2 where you can try and go for "Clean hands" meaning you never kill anyone and at most you put the people in your way unconscious.

I very much liked finishing the games in different ways: high or low chaos depending on how you use your powers and weapons/gadgets :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@R4gn4r0k: I believe I got clean hands in the first Dishonored game but not the second. I definitely went for it in my first playthrough but I think I made an accidental death somewhere. :/

Definitely going for it in my second playthrough. ;)

I typically play immersive sims as non-lethal as possible by default. It's just my preferred way of playing.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@indzman said:
@cainetao11 said:

I'm loving prey it's a good shooter the haters can hate all they want but we know the game is just as good as doom 2016.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k

@jumpaction said:

@R4gn4r0k: I believe I got clean hands in the first Dishonored game but not the second. I definitely went for it in my first playthrough but I think I made an accidental death somewhere. :/

Definitely going for it in my second playthrough. ;)

I typically play immersive sims as non-lethal as possible by default. It's just my preferred way of playing.

Yeah me too, if I don't have to kill everyone I'll try to kill as few as possible.

Also Dishonored is great at giving you awesome alternative to killing someone; For example Hiriam Burrows, the Lord regent: I felt exposing his lies to be way more satisfying than just outright stabbing a knife into his neck :P

I tried getting clean hands in Dishonored 1 but it is very hard, if you leave a body unconscious on a roof and it falls down somehow, or it gets eaten by rats: you will not get clean hands and it's impossible to know what exactly you did wrong.

In the second Dishonored they made sure stuff like that no longer happens. So it's easier to go for clean hands in the sequel :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@R4gn4r0k: I know! At the very start of D1 in the sewers, I shot someone unconscious with a sleep dart and they fell into the river current and drowned. Yay. Hahaha

The hardest thing for me in D2 is when the AI gets grenade happy and causes their own death. You really gotta act fast! Excellent fun though. :)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@cainetao11 said:

lmao

@metalslimenite said:

Is that a real game? Looks like something that would be fun (maybe too much overlap with Broforce.)

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

I don't like arkane studios, I don't like their artstlye, prey is a sci fi game and it still feel I'm somewhere in the early 1900's. Dishonored is one of the most boring games I've ever played, and I always loved hitman games, or any other game that does stealth well.

Arkane games feel weird, stealth only works well if they can mimic realistic situations, when I play a game like dishonored it's like I'm in someone's bad dream. I actually reminds me a bit of bioshock infinite or the previous bioshock games. Only the first bioshock game actually made sense, the others were crap as well.

Space is done well in prey though, but when you look inside the lobby it's like from an early 1900 expensive hotel somewhere in eastern europe. Controls feels shitty as well.

It's a shame actually I was hoping this was going to be a successfull throwback to the golden end nineties/early 2000's. Something that wolfenstein the new order did extremely well and also had bethesda's name on it.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#34 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Maybe in a different year, this year there are too many better games already. There is next to no chance of it being goty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@commander: "stealth only works well if they can mimic realistic situations" What do you mean by that?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 commander

@jumpaction said:

@commander: "stealth only works well if they can mimic realistic situations" What do you mean by that?

the setting and characters aren't believable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Unless new Metro release this year. Unless System shock remake release this year.

PREY is GOTY.

Who's to say those will even be good?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@commander: Oh. That's fair enough. It's not aiming for realism, if that's what you mean. It is very much a fictional setting with sprinkles of magic and the otherworldly. I still don't think theme robs a game of its stealth. Just because something like Prey is science fiction, doesn't mean a survival tool like stealth can't exist. Heck, that's quite a lot of what makes Alien so tense.

In this case, you play as an assassin. Assassins? They use stealth. :) (Also worth noting that D1 and 2 are more stealth action. Losing stealth is not the end of the loop. Action is as much a viable part of the game too as is escaping from danger).

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@commander said:
@jumpaction said:

the setting and characters aren't believable.

that was deep.

as a puddle

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By commander

@jumpaction said:

@commander: Oh. That's fair enough. It's not aiming for realism, if that's what you mean. It is very much a fictional setting with sprinkles of magic and the otherworldly. I still don't think theme robs a game of its stealth. Just because something like Prey is science fiction, doesn't mean a survival tool like stealth can't exist. Heck, that's quite a lot of what makes Alien so tense.

In this case, you play as an assassin. Assassins? They use stealth. :)

Well it does work in a game like skyrim for instance, that just seems more believable, maybe because it's based on the middle ages.

I don't know what to think of dishonored, like I said, it feels like I'm in someone's bad dream. I can go with the 1800's weird science but they've trhown some weird magic in there and for some reason that just doesn't add up for me. The people in there act like they're are completely out of this world as well, something like bioshock infinite, which I also found unbelievable.

Prey doesn't seem to have that problem though, but the artstyle still looks like it doesn't fit in that game at all. For me arkane studios cannot make a believable world, so it breaks immersion and I give up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@commander: The Dishonored games are eccentric, for sure but I really don't get your coalition between stealth mechanics and theme.

If you're an assassin, you're going to use stealth. Especially given the fact that you play as an outlaw who needs to avoid being spotted by guards. Why wouldn't you use stealth? Because the world is eccentric? I honestly don't understand your perspective but if it bothers you, then that's just how it is and that is totally cool with me. :)

Does seem a bit... uhh... well narrow.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45107 Posts

It's a good game, but is a bit bland in some areas. It also suffers from that "been there, done that" type of experience ala Bioshock, Deus Ex, etc.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Prey looks right up my alley as far as games, so I'm excited to get around to it. Playing Horizon Zero Dawn, and have been thoroughly unimpressed.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By commander

@jumpaction said:

@commander: The Dishonored games are eccentric, for sure but I really don't get your coalition between stealth mechanics and theme.

If you're an assassin, you're going to use stealth. Especially given the fact that you play as an outlaw who needs to avoid being spotted by guards. Why wouldn't you use stealth? Because the world is eccentric? I honestly don't understand your perspective but if it bothers you, then that's just how it is and that is totally cool with me. :)

Does seem a bit... uhh... well narrow.

For stealth to work you need characters and a world that feels alive. Dishonored may feel alive to you but it doesn't to me. To me, it kinda feels like a weird puppet show.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

High praise from you mah man. Happy you're enjoying it but........

I don't care what you think since you don't pay da SP's bills. lolol :P

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

No....it is not.Prey is one of the worst games this year.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#47 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

@acp_45 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

PREY is GOTY.

Who's to say those will even be good?

people complaing about doom before released. turn out masterpiece. then complain about prey because its not prey 2. turn out to be good.

beside theres never been bad metro game and new one will be more non linear like Stalker.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@anthonyautumns said:

With Prey's quality, it is possible.

But with BOTY and Persona 5 at the next block, I highly doubt it.

Why not? Gaming websites like pcgamer and rockpapershotgun can still give Prey GOTY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@commander: "For stealth to work you need characters and a world that feels alive."

I don't know if that's exactly what stealth needs to work. It might need some kind of thematic reasoning but it doesn't need to be authentic for me. It can be as simple as "Your job is to assassinate people quietly." to more complex reasoning like "The enemy you are facing is stronger than you or there are more overwhelming numbers so stealth is the only approach that will work."

The complexity of the characters really isn't all that important to me. The most simplistic theme will work.

In Dishonored you play as an outlaw who has to move through a city under a strong curfew by the law (the same people who are looking to kill you). Makes complete sense why stealth is a primary mechanic. It doesn't matter to me how eccentric the characters look or act. Why should it?

Johnmclane26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Johnmclane26
Member since 2016 • 255 Posts

Played the demo last night and bought it today looking forward to carrying on the game.

for me game of the year will most likely be between ME shadow of war or Red Dead 2