Poll: Do you prefer DD or hard copy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for creeping-deth87
creeping-deth87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 creeping-deth87
Member since 2008 • 787 Posts

Digital distribution has become a hot topic around here. I'm just wondering how a lot of you feel on the subject, and why you feel the way you do.

I myself prefer having a hard copy of my games. It's real, it's physical, I can hold it in my hand and get a much better sense of ownership than something that's simply sitting on my hard-drive.

On the other hand though, I am willing to acknowledge the advantages of digital distribution. You don't have to worry about scratched discs andit's certainly the more cost-effective way to buy your games.

So how do you feel? And do explain why.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

hard copy all the time, Steam's current server issues with the free UT3 weekend is one of the reasons why I hate DD.

creeping-deth87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 creeping-deth87

hard copy all the time, Steam's current server issues with the free UT3 weekend is one of the reasons why I hate DD.

clyde46
I'm not familiar with the issue. What exactly is the problem?
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

I prefer hard copies, but I've no problem with digital distribution.

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
I prefer DD.
def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts

hard copy!

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"]

creeping-deth87
I'm not familiar with the issue. What exactly is the problem?

The servers are being flooded with players trying to download and update UT3 for the free weekend.
WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

Hard copy. It gives me more control over how I install and play my games, and I'm not limited to a particular computer system. It's just easiser. To be honest I don't understand why everyone is pushing for DD when it barely improves anything. Mabye in America where things take a bit longer to drop down in price, but over here in the UK it takes about 6 months and everythings half the original price. You just don't get that with DD, not that I have seen.

Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts

hard copy. it allows me to resell teh game if it's bad, plus games on steam cost the same or more than their retail versions, with no benefits.

creeping-deth87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 creeping-deth87

Hard copy. It gives me more control over how I install and play my games, and I'm not limited to a particular computer system. It's just easiser. To be honest I don't understand why everyone is pushing for DD when it barely improves anything. Mabye in America where things take a bit longer to drop down in price, but over here in the UK it takes about 6 months and everythings half the original price. You just don't get that with DD, not that I have seen.

WasntAvailable

I've never paid much attention to how digital distrubtion prices fluctuate over time, though I think this is offset somewhat by the fact that games available through digital distribution usually debut at lower prices generally. And maybe the fact that there's no such thing as a used online game factors into it somehow. As for games halving in price over 6 months in North America, it honestly depends on the game. I work at Blockbuster and Call of Duty 4 is still 59.99 (Canadian) brand new despite the fact it's over a year old. In contrast, you can grab Too Human used for just 20 bucks and that just came out last fall I believe.

def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts

people with slow download rate are going to hate digital distribution.

downloading a game? thats going to take forever if you dont have a fast internet.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

clyde46

Thats a little bit different considering UT3 is being offerered for free right now, something that would not even be possible with hard copies.

Thats the equivelent of say UT3 being given out for free in every store, and every store running out of copies.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#13 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

I'd prefer to have my CD with it's box sitting on my shelve. But, I guess DD will one day become Standard.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
Why would anybody prefer DD, thats less for your money:?
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#15 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Hard caopies. I won't keep gaming if DD was the only way to get games

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cobrax75

Why would anybody prefer DD, thats less for your money:?FirstDiscovery

Its not though.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"]

cobrax75

Thats a little bit different considering UT3 is being offerered for free right now, something that would not even be possible with hard copies.

Thats the equivelent of say UT3 being given out for free in every store, and every store running out of copies.

I said ONE of the reasons why I hate DD.
WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WasntAvailable

[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]

creeping-deth87

I've never paid much attention to how digital distrubtion prices fluctuate over time, though I think this is offset somewhat by the fact that games available through digital distribution usually debut at lower prices generally. And maybe the fact that there's no such thing as a used online game factors into it somehow. As for games halving in price over 6 months in North America, it honestly depends on the game. I work at Blockbuster and Call of Duty 4 is still 59.99 (Canadian) brand new despite the fact it's over a year old. In contrast, you can grab Too Human used for just 20 bucks and that just came out last fall I believe.

On Steam Empire:Total War is selling for over full retail. On online stores like Play.com you can pick the game up for about half what they are charging. Same with games like Dawn Of War 2. It might be diffrent per region, but here it's still cheaper to buy from stores. You are paying a premium for convience.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Hard copy, definitely.
tOtalPWNaAe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tOtalPWNaAe
Member since 2008 • 3375 Posts
i prefer hard copy it looks cooler:P
zAhMaDz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 zAhMaDz
Member since 2009 • 99 Posts
Doesn't really matter to me.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cobrax75

[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"]

clyde46

I said ONE of the reasons why I hate DD.

Its not even a valid reason to hate DD in the first place...its doing something thats not even possible with retail copies in the first place.

creeping-deth87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 creeping-deth87
[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]

[QUOTE="creeping-deth87"]

[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]

On Steam Empire:Total War is selling for over full retail. On online stores like Play.com you can pick the game up for about half what they are charging. Same with games like Dawn Of War 2. It might be diffrent per region, but here it's still cheaper to buy from stores. You are paying a premium for convience.

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for busting the DD-is-cheaper myth.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Hard copy. You can sell a hard copy, lend it to a friend, etc. It has value a digital copy does not have at this point.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"]

cobrax75

It's being offered for free but hardly anyone can get it because of server issues. Everytime there is some major update the servers become slow and everything takes forever. The same thing happened when DowII update came out and since you cannot get the update anywhere else all I could do is wait.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

As long as the DD source in question is reputable & reliable, I have no preference. I buy both regularly.

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WasntAvailable

[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]

[QUOTE="creeping-deth87"] I've never paid much attention to how digital distrubtion prices fluctuate over time, though I think this is offset somewhat by the fact that games available through digital distribution usually debut at lower prices generally. And maybe the fact that there's no such thing as a used online game factors into it somehow. As for games halving in price over 6 months in North America, it honestly depends on the game. I work at Blockbuster and Call of Duty 4 is still 59.99 (Canadian) brand new despite the fact it's over a year old. In contrast, you can grab Too Human used for just 20 bucks and that just came out last fall I believe.

creeping-deth87

That's only outside of America though, Steam prices are signifcantly higher here, but unless Valve decide to do something about the inflated European prices I don't see DD being accepted world wide as the standard anytime in the near future.

NemeSyS-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NemeSyS-1
Member since 2009 • 464 Posts

I think we all better get used to digital distribution. When you look at games like Warhawk, SOCOM Confrontation and GT 5 Prologue on PS3 and the Lost and DamnedDLC for GTA 4 on 360 which by the way is no mere addon, it is for all practical purposes a full game plusXBOX Classics like Fable, Halo CE and Jade Empire which are downloadable from XBL pluswhat is available through Steam on PC, I think DD is going to replace hard copy games for sure by next gen.

SteezyZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SteezyZ
Member since 2008 • 209 Posts
[QUOTE="creeping-deth87"][QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]

[QUOTE="creeping-deth87"] I've never paid much attention to how digital distrubtion prices fluctuate over time, though I think this is offset somewhat by the fact that games available through digital distribution usually debut at lower prices generally. And maybe the fact that there's no such thing as a used online game factors into it somehow. As for games halving in price over 6 months in North America, it honestly depends on the game. I work at Blockbuster and Call of Duty 4 is still 59.99 (Canadian) brand new despite the fact it's over a year old. In contrast, you can grab Too Human used for just 20 bucks and that just came out last fall I believe.

Unfortunately, there are also plenty of counter-examples where DD is cheaper, such as the (many) L4D discount weekends, Steam's holiday deals, etc. It's definitely not black and white. For consoles where installs don't really come into play, I don't have a preference. But when I upgraded my PC, damn was I happy to just have to install Steam and let it take care of the rest, since re-installing games from disc is a pain. Moreover, I don't need to worry about those old CD discs not working or not having the ol' CD keys. For PC, I go DD only.
Nero_Paladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nero_Paladin
Member since 2007 • 1099 Posts

Even though my MGS3: Subsistence disc 1 broke recently :cry: (Because they didnt use the easy push button disc release design)

I would still prefer the hard copy, but its a damn pain when the disc breaks and you have to pay £40 for a new copy - which I'll have to do now.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

I guess each has its ups and downs, and these points can vary depending on the user.

KEY: (+) Pro (-) Con (*) Neutral or can swing.

Digital Distribution:
+ Saves gas on trips to the store. Handy if your nearest source is distant.
+ The good services allow full backups of the game to whatever media you choose. Most allow redownloads if you lose or pitch your copy.
+ Some DD versions are sold for less than the hard copy. Also provides a viable channel for smaller developers not willing or able to employ the traditional system.
* Some services allow transport of games between computers. Others don't. Check with your service.
* Owner rights, especially in the event of the service's dissolution, are not firmly established. No service, AFAIK, has submitted a binding agreement in writing (important if a case goes to court) to this effect.
- Resale is either not allowed or only allowed at a premium. (Personal note: Perhaps this could be challenged under the Copyright Act of 1978, which establishes First Sale Doctrine--and before anyone argues it's not a sale, see Timothy S. Vernor v. Autodesk Inc.).
- Downloads can be slowed by heavy server traffic or low-speed home connections. Even broadband speeds could lose time-wise to a nearby (less than 10 minutes) store.

Hard copies:
+ Possession ans ownership of the copy of the game is concrete.
+ Some hard copies include value-added material such as bonus discs.
+ Copies can be resold to other users or to resale stores.
- Backups are hampered by the fact that most discs are now copy-protected.
- These copy protections can also cause potential problems if a game is transported. Read instructions carefully.
- Hard copies are difficult or impossible to replace if lost or damaged, even if it wasn't the owner's fault.

Common to both:
* Both systems allow a preordering of some form. With DD, the game can pre-download and unlock on the official date, and most physical systems can offer on-the-day delivery of your game.
- Most modern games cannot be played or at least activated without an Intenet connection. Players who cannot link their computer to the Internet either due to remoteness or restriction will not buy (or download) these games.

peeviness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 peeviness
Member since 2004 • 2023 Posts

I like DD on the PC, and HC on consoles. I don't really sell PC games, and it's just more convinient to download them. I do trade in a lot of my console games though, so yeah.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

which ever is cheaper. I dont care about the packaging as ling is a good game. In fact lean slighlty towards DD becuase i can redownload my games as many times i want without having to worry about losing the disk or scratching it. Ideally is games like portal or left for dead or empires total war where you can buy them retail and have the hard copy but you need steam to activate them and even if you dont have the disk you can still download them using your acccount

DragonxanderPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DragonxanderPR
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts

The hard copies really have big advantages for decent consumers (reselling, sharing with friends, no traumatic waits for downlading & installing...), & for retailers (extra sales for careless people, the jobs it creates...). The only people who really are disadvantaged are the makers of those games, since they have to produce them, send them overseas, & pay for everything needed to sell them.

On the other hand, hard copies are more vulnerable to piracy, especially those recorded on standard hard media (i.e. CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays...). That is the main reason for videogame producers to prefer DLC over hard copies (although hacking will eventually break though security codes, leading to illegal downloads). The other main reason for videogame producers to want DLC over hard copies is the overall much cheaper costs, even if that means losing many customers regarding DLC distrust, slowness or ignorance.

I consider myself to be on the decent customers group with a good portion of DLC distrust & slowness.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FirstDiscovery

The hard copies really have big advantages for decent consumers (reselling, sharing with friends, no traumatic waits for downlading & installing...), & for retailers (extra sales for careless people, the jobs it creates...). The only people who really are disadvantaged are the makers of those games, since they have to produce them, send them overseas, & pay for everything needed to sell them.

On the other hand, hard copies are more vulnerable to piracy, especially those recorded on standard hard media (i.e. CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays...). That is the main reason for videogame producers to prefer DLC over hard copies (although hacking will eventually break though security codes, leading to illegal downloads). The other main reason for videogame producers to want DLC over hard copies is the overall much cheaper costs, even if that means losing many customers regarding DLC distrust, slowness or ignorance.

I consider myself to be on the decent customers group with a good portion of DLC distrust & slowness.

DragonxanderPR
Thats not true, piracy cannot be stopped, and digital is just as easy.
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#36 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

nothing beats having the game on the shelf all shiny and physically existing.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#37 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonxanderPR"]

FirstDiscovery

they can pirate blu-ray now?

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FirstDiscovery

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="DragonxanderPR"]

zarshack

Im not too sure on the situation, i dont know if its the PS3 or the copy protection on the discs themselves, but Sony have done an amazing job. Regardless, its going to be cracked no matter what.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

One of the great aspects of digital distribution is unlimited supply which means that the main economic concern, scarcity, becomes irrelevant. A physical supply of games will eventually run out and people who sell used games will charge horrendous prices, especially if it's a rarity. Due to that, a lot of people miss out on great games.

Click this link for more digital distribution fun!

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FirstDiscovery

One of the great aspects of digital distribution is unlimited supply which means that the main economic concern, scarcity, becomes irrelevant. A physical supply of games will eventually run out and people who sell used games will charge horrendous prices, especially if it's a rarity. Due to that, a lot of people miss out on great games.

Click this link for more digital distribution fun!

Hexagon_777
Yeah but digital versions of many games exist. For example Ikaruga and Rez still cost loads despite the digital versions, simply said, these people are collectors and wont stop at anything
creeping-deth87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 creeping-deth87
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="zarshack"]

Thats not true, piracy cannot be stopped, and digital is just as easy.FirstDiscovery

Im not too sure on the situation, i dont know if its the PS3 or the copy protection on the discs themselves, but Sony have done an amazing job. Regardless, its going to be cracked no matter what.

i don't think it has anything to do at all with the ps3 or copy protection, it's the simple fact that pirated Blu Rays at the moment simply aren't worth it because of how expensive the discs and rewritable blu-ray drivers are. It simply doesn't make it cost-effective from a pirating standpoint. This is of course just because it's a hot new format, in a year or 2 probably Blu Rays will start being pirated to hell and back.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="DragonxanderPR"]

zarshack

Movie-wise, ask SlySoft that question. Game-wise, the issue hasn't come up significantly yet. However, I suspect this to be more a matter of economic issues rather than anything on Sony's part (BD recorders and discs are still too expensive). Any form of copy protection can theoretically be patched away or bypassed.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
If perfected DD is far superior.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FirstDiscovery

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="zarshack"]

creeping-deth87

I don't think it has anything to do at all with the ps3 or copy protection, it's the simple fact that pirated Blu Rays at the moment simply aren't worth it because of how expensive the discs and rewritable blu-ray drivers are. It simply doesn't make it cost-effective from a pirating standpoint. This is of course just because it's a hot new format, in a year or 2 probably Blu Rays will start being pirated to hell and back.

Piracy is rampant for DVD for a number of reasons. For starters, the less developed world, all these places, people can buy super cheap DVD players, and given how DVD copiers are so cheap, theres a huge supply of cheap DVDs. These people simply dont care about quality, they want to watch a film, and thats what they get. Offcourse, you ask why it wasnt so bad with VHS? Well VHS are a lot more expensive and time worthy to copy so yeah the economics didnt allow. For that reason i dont think Blu-Ray piracy will take off, people want BD simply for its quality, yet piracy is not known for that, and a lot of pirate DVDs are watchable on a SDTV, which also brings something else into the equation, who has HDTVs, especially in the less developed world.

Its for this reason that we are going to have to wait a long time before Blu-Ray is the main format, because i simply think itll exist along with DVDs. I mean lets face it, a lot of DVDs these days have good transfer, along with a good upscaler, they look pretty good still. Also, they are now dirt cheap, so more people have reason to buy them, while they milk the more hardcore buyers on the BD side. As for the games side, that is where the copy protection hasnt been cracked and i simply thinks its amazing given the open nature of the console

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts

Having something tangible in your hands as proof that you own the damn thing is always nice. DD game collections, while more practical, are hella boring. Used market. Good luck selling or trading in your digital games. Once purchased the software is worthless. But most of all I prefer physical copies because stuff on Steam is outrageously expensive. It's total madness. You can get a game for almost 1/4th the price of it on Steam. Publishers need to get a grip.

The one thing I like about Steam is that you can run your "real" games without the disc in the drive.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FirstDiscovery

[QUOTE="zarshack"]

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Thats not true, piracy cannot be stopped, and digital is just as easy.HuusAsking

Movie-wise, ask SlySoft that question. Game-wise, the issue hasn't come up significantly yet. However, I suspect this to be more a matter of economic issues rather than anything on Sony's part (BD recorders and discs are still too expensive). Any form of copy protection can theoretically be patched away or bypassed.

Yes thats true, but the simple fact is, BD games havent been cracked.
AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts
Hard Copy for Now, DD in 10 years?
GTR_FX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 GTR_FX
Member since 2009 • 1121 Posts

hard copy always, you can just rip it to your hard disk later

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
Hard copy. I like having a collection God damn it.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="creeping-deth87"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Im not too sure on the situation, i dont know if its the PS3 or the copy protection on the discs themselves, but Sony have done an amazing job. Regardless, its going to be cracked no matter what.FirstDiscovery

I don't think it has anything to do at all with the ps3 or copy protection, it's the simple fact that pirated Blu Rays at the moment simply aren't worth it because of how expensive the discs and rewritable blu-ray drivers are. It simply doesn't make it cost-effective from a pirating standpoint. This is of course just because it's a hot new format, in a year or 2 probably Blu Rays will start being pirated to hell and back.

Piracy is rampant for DVD for a number of reasons. For starters, the less developed world, all these places, people can buy super cheap DVD players, and given how DVD copiers are so cheap, theres a huge supply of cheap DVDs. These people simply dont care about quality, they want to watch a film, and thats what they get. Offcourse, you ask why it wasnt so bad with VHS? Well VHS are a lot more expensive and time worthy to copy so yeah the economics didnt allow. For that reason i dont think Blu-Ray piracy will take off, people want BD simply for its quality, yet piracy is not known for that, and a lot of pirate DVDs are watchable on a SDTV, which also brings something else into the equation, who has HDTVs, especially in the less developed world.

Its for this reason that we are going to have to wait a long time before Blu-Ray is the main format, because i simply think itll exist along with DVDs. I mean lets face it, a lot of DVDs these days have good transfer, along with a good upscaler, they look pretty good still. Also, they are now dirt cheap, so more people have reason to buy them, while they milk the more hardcore buyers on the BD side. As for the games side, that is where the copy protection hasnt been cracked and i simply thinks its amazing given the open nature of the console

I think BDs will get some traction in the black market, but not for quality--for quantity. You gotta realize--SD content can go on a BD, too. And a lot of the content I notice on bootleg DVDs once sat in VideoCDs, which I believe are only now slipping off into the digital sunset over there. As soon as the economics allow for it, I think we'll start seeing some pretty big bootleg anthologies creeping into the black market.