Poll: Do you prefer DD or hard copy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]

[QUOTE="zarshack"]

they can pirate blu-ray now?

FirstDiscovery

Movie-wise, ask SlySoft that question. Game-wise, the issue hasn't come up significantly yet. However, I suspect this to be more a matter of economic issues rather than anything on Sony's part (BD recorders and discs are still too expensive). Any form of copy protection can theoretically be patched away or bypassed.

Yes thats true, but the simple fact is, BD games havent been cracked.

But only for lack of motivation. IIRC, DVD piracy didn't really become an issue under after it became mainstream, also. The economics just need to be there for the black market to start cranking out the copies.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 HuusAsking

Having something tangible in your hands as proof that you own the damn thing is always nice. DD game collections, while more practical, are hella boring. Used market. Good luck selling or trading in your digital games. Once purchased the software is worthless. But most of all I prefer physical copies because stuff on Steam is outrageously expensive. It's total madness. You can get a game for almost 1/4th the price of it on Steam. Publishers need to get a grip.

The one thing I like about Steam is that you can run your "real" games without the disc in the drive.

InsaneBasura

Proof? Here's a good counterexample. The MSRP of the upcoming PC version of The Last Remnant (not vouching for its quality) if $59.99. Steam is offering it at $39.99 (1/3 off), and it'll pre-download and then unlock the moment it becomes legal. Another: Valve's famed Orange Box--Walmart.com, $39.82, and good luck finding it brick-and-mortar; Steam, $29.99.

MBP_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 MBP_King
Member since 2009 • 903 Posts

I prefer the hard copy as I enjoy having the box, manual and the ability to take the disk and playing it on a friends machine.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="HuusAsking"]Movie-wise, ask SlySoft that question. Game-wise, the issue hasn't come up significantly yet. However, I suspect this to be more a matter of economic issues rather than anything on Sony's part (BD recorders and discs are still too expensive). Any form of copy protection can theoretically be patched away or bypassed.

HuusAsking

Yes thats true, but the simple fact is, BD games havent been cracked.

But only for lack of motivation. IIRC, DVD piracy didn't really become an issue under after it became mainstream, also. The economics just need to be there for the black market to start cranking out the copies.

Not really, crackers are always away at work, economics are hardly reason for them to stop.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 FirstDiscovery

[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"]

Having something tangible in your hands as proof that you own the damn thing is always nice. DD game collections, while more practical, are hella boring. Used market. Good luck selling or trading in your digital games. Once purchased the software is worthless. But most of all I prefer physical copies because stuff on Steam is outrageously expensive. It's total madness. You can get a game for almost 1/4th the price of it on Steam. Publishers need to get a grip.

The one thing I like about Steam is that you can run your "real" games without the disc in the drive.

HuusAsking

Proof? Here's a good counterexample. The MSRP of the upcoming PC version of The Last Remnant (not vouching for its quality) if $59.99. Steam is offering it at $39.99 (1/3 off), and it'll pre-download and then unlock the moment it becomes legal. Another: Valve's famed Orange Box--Walmart.com, $39.82, and good luck finding it brick-and-mortar; Steam, $29.99.

Eventually the game will come down to something like $30, also, you can buy it used and if you want, resell it making or loss less.
king_bobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#56 king_bobo
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts
I prefer hard copies for the reason that the TC has mentioned, as well as the fact that a disc has actual value and can be traded in/refunded/sold on. Additionally, although I'm doing okay with my Xbox 360 HDD space, my PS3's HDD space (I only got a 40GB one) is seriously on the verge of being full, which obviously is a problem if you download all of your games. That said, if it's a downloadable game, that still takes up a ridiculous amount of HDD space when it's installed off of the Blu-Ray (SOCOM: Confrontation/Siren: Blood Curse as two very good examples) it's not such an issue. Despite this, I'd go with hard copies any time just because of the other reasons mentioned...
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Yes thats true, but the simple fact is, BD games havent been cracked.FirstDiscovery

Not really, crackers are always away at work, economics are hardly reason for them to stop.

And I'm sure they've already got the keys to cracking BD. But since there's little motivation to pass the word around (little or no economic gain), we don't hear much of it. It's only when illicit profit becomes possible that people outside the inner circle of hardcore crackers (who do it for its own sweet sake) start exploiting the techniques, and it's there that the word gets out.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]

[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"]

FirstDiscovery

Eventually the game will come down to something like $30, also, you can buy it used and if you want, resell it making or loss less.

And I'm sure by then Steam will have it for $19.99 by then. Remember, it started at $49.99 itself, the same as retail (which was no different since the physical OB copy is essentially a physical copy of the Steam version--I know, I own it).
-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#59 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
Hard copy
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 HuusAsking

I prefer the hard copy as I enjoy having the box, manual and the ability to take the disk and playing it on a friends machine.

MBP_King
Steam games are transportable, too. In fact, they're more transportable than most modern games, who start having a hissyfit when you try to install them on a second machine. Unless you're referring to console games, in which case I would concur that they're more transportable on disc (because they're made to be transportable).
Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

Hard copy only. If I can't get a hard copy of the game, then I skip over that game and never buy it. Only type of DD games I will get are the free ones like America's Army for example. I never have and never will buy my games any other way than a hard copy. If all games went DD, then I would be a gamer no more.

TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 TheGreatOutdoor

people with slow download rate are going to hate digital distribution.

downloading a game? thats going to take forever if you dont have a fast internet.

def_mode

Well what about people like me that has a fast connection and still doesn't like DD?

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]But only for lack of motivation. IIRC, DVD piracy didn't really become an issue under after it became mainstream, also. The economics just need to be there for the black market to start cranking out the copies.HuusAsking

And I'm sure they've already got the keys to cracking BD. But since there's little motivation to pass the word around (little or no economic gain), we don't hear much of it. It's only when illicit profit becomes possible that people outside the inner circle of hardcore crackers (who do it for its own sweet sake) start exploiting the techniques, and it's there that the word gets out.

Trust me, i know people in piracy circles, these guys do it as a passion.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#64 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I do prefer hard copy but I'm not willing to pay extra for it. I buy whatever is the cheapest.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 HuusAsking

Hard copy only. If I can't get a hard copy of the game, then I skip over that game and never buy it. Only type of DD games I will get are the free ones like America's Army for example. I never have and never will buy my games any other way than a hard copy. If all games went DD, then I would be a gamer no more.

TheGreatOutdoor

Tell me. What's your biggest reason for insisting on physical copies?

ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

Hard copy.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="def_mode"]

people with slow download rate are going to hate digital distribution.

downloading a game? thats going to take forever if you dont have a fast internet.

TheGreatOutdoor

Well what about people like me that has a fast connection and still doesn't like DD?

Last gen views are not accepted in System Wars. :P

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Hard copy. Not having one just bothers me.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Hexagon_777

TheGreatOutdoor

Were you ever a gamer to begin with, though? All that would change is the medium through which you would get your games.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

DD is great for little games but for proper games its gotta be hard copy...

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 HuusAsking

Well, the PC world tends to encourage DD because of its environment. For one thing, since copies near-universally have to be installed to hard drives to run, downloading tends to skip a step--the download usually becomes the installation. Also, there is so much copy protection on discs that backups become difficult if not impossible.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 HuusAsking

hakanakumono
So what do you do when you can backup a DD game? You get a physical copy there, too.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts
I don't care as long as it's cheap (though Amazon tends to have a lower absolute minimum than Steam).
jeffwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 jeffwulf
Member since 2004 • 1569 Posts

Digital Distribution. The sheer convienience of a service like Steam beats anything that a degradable hard copy gets me.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 HuusAsking

dd is a good way to get free games, like i mean for ps3, if you know a friend who bought it online, you just borrow his account to dl it for free,

seannn199
But what if you and your friend want to play the same game? That game's tied to the account, and only one of the account can work at a time.
Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#77 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
Both are good, but I just need to have a hard copy.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

HuusAsking

So what do you do when you can backup a DD game? You get a physical copy there, too.

Edit: Misread it. You can't back up PSN titles can you? In any case, I'd rather have the ORIGINAL hard copy.

In any case, my games make up a library. They all have their original cases and most have manuals. When I buy a game I want it to be a physical copy that sits in my library. ESPECIALLY if its a game I respect.

The only DD game I own is Castlevania:SotN on my PSP. But I don't really care enough about the game to want a hard copy in that case, although it does honestly bother me that it's sitting in virtual space all alone in my PSP.

It's just personal preference/me being anal about it.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

Since when?

In any case, my games make up a library. They all have their original cases and most have manuals. When I buy a game I want it to be a physical copy that sits in my library. ESPECIALLY if its a game I respect.

The only DD game I own is Castlevania:SotN on my PSP. But I don't really care enough about the game to want a hard copy in that case, although it does honestly bother me that it's sitting in virtual space all alone in my PSP.

Steam's famous for its backup ability.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]So what do you do when you can backup a DD game? You get a physical copy there, too.HuusAsking

Since when?

Steam's famous for its backup ability.

Sorry, misread it initially. I don't really play computer games - nor do I h ave a computer that could run them if I wanted to.

But I don't mind DD for PC. In fact, I'd prefer it. If I had a competent laptop, I'd definitely utilize steam.

TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 TheGreatOutdoor

[QUOTE="TheGreatOutdoor"]

HuusAsking

Because I like owning the game instead of a download. You can have a lot of issues with DD like for example. Say I buy a DD game, then the company goes out of business and then I somehow lose the game on my PC (Like being forced to reformat). Well now what do I do? I can sell my hard copies. I could name more, but you get the idea.

TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 TheGreatOutdoor

Hexagon_777

Were you ever a gamer to begin with, though?

My first game was Table Tennis. Does that answer your question? ;)

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 nmaharg
Member since 2004 • 3285 Posts
DD is better imo. Rather not have to deal with having multiple game boxes all around. Swapping disks sucks too. I can't really think of an advantage of having a hard copy. Other than pretty box art. Hopefully consoles become no DVD/BD capable.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

PC gaming ~ DD
Traditional console gaming (carts, CD's, jewel cases, etc.) ~ hard copy
Modern console gaming (i.e. PC wannabe) ~ DD

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

I prefer hard copies. Nothing is better than taking off the plastic and playing the game for the first time.

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

Hard copy. Something about being able to hold it and saying "yeah..."

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#87 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
It wont matter... it's all going DD anyway. We wont have much say.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

TheGreatOutdoor

Were you ever a gamer to begin with, though? All that would change is the medium through which you would get your games.

My first game was Table Tennis. Does that answer your question? ;)

Table Tennis? Do you mean Pong? :?

And I cannot relate to people quiting gaming simply because the means through which they get their games have changed. It's not like children in Asia are now being forced into labour or something so that we Westerners can have our games. We simply get games digitally now. The sames games as before.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

For PC games I preffer DD. I never cared about the boxes or cases and it was just a hassle to keep up with all of the CDs

For Console games I preffer hard copy. I love keeping the carts/boxs all lined up all nice looking on my shelf, and it's easier to take the game over to a friend's house.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
I prefer hard copies so i can show my collection off to the ladies 8)
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#91 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
There's no such thing as a "hard copy". The data on a physical disc is no more "owned" or "yours" than that of a digital download. Simply read the license agreement for any "physical" videogame, and you'll be surprised to find that point stated quite clearly. I believe digital content to be the future, starting with smaller transactions, then expansions, and finally, within a few generations, the games themselves. - It is one of the only effective tools for reducing piracy, reducing the drag of the used games market, and allowing independent developers a competitive distribution channel. As such, I imagine the opposition to DD will be vocal, but largely fruitless.
Tekkenloving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Tekkenloving
Member since 2008 • 1546 Posts
ill always prefer a physical copy.
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#93 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
Right now I am still trying to find my Titans Quest disc. My Oblivion disc was missing too until I found it laying in the cupboard. To hell with physical media. Digital distribution is NEEDED nowadays. The only thing stopping me from being a Steam customer is that I don't have a credit card or Paypal account. However a forum member (impreza500 or whatever his name was) advised me of pre-paid Visa cards or something like that. I might look into that.
doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts

i've always like having a big stack of game cases. but the conveniance of DD appeals to me. no long will i have to travel in to town in bad weather only to have to que and deal with the weirdo's that work in our local GAME only to be told that i didnt pre order so they have no free stock.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 HuusAsking

There's no such thing as a "hard copy". The data on a physical disc is no more "owned" or "yours" than that of a digital download. Simply read the license agreement for any "physical" videogame, and you'll be surprised to find that point stated quite clearly. I believe digital content to be the future, starting with smaller transactions, then expansions, and finally, within a few generations, the games themselves. - It is one of the only effective tools for reducing piracy, reducing the drag of the used games market, and allowing independent developers a competitive distribution channel. As such, I imagine the opposition to DD will be vocal, but largely fruitless.subrosian
Then perhaps you should read about the decision of Timothy S. Vernor v. Autodesk Inc. It was made last August, and in that decision, a federal judge ruled that, basically, if it looks like a sale and transacts like a sale, it's a sale...and therefore subject to the First Sale Doctrine (which enshrines a person's right to resell a copy of something). It basically means that software must be treated the same way as books and music, and books and music are sold, not licensed.

ImOldGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 ImOldGreg
Member since 2007 • 2357 Posts
Real men like theirs HARD!!....wait what? :?
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]

TheGreatOutdoor

Because I like owning the game instead of a download. You can have a lot of issues with DD like for example. Say I buy a DD game, then the company goes out of business and then I somehow lose the game on my PC (Like being forced to reformat). Well now what do I do? I can sell my hard copies. I could name more, but you get the idea.

Valve has stated that should the Steam service go down for good, they will release all the appropriate updates so that players would not have to rely on Steam to play them. I'm waiting for this to be put in writing, but that shows what could be done in the even of the service's failure. As for reformats and the like, even XBox Live allows for the free redownload of a game that you've previously purchased. Plus there's always backups, which are easier through DD than through physical media (which usually involves copy-protected discs).
CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 CubanBlunt
Member since 2005 • 2025 Posts

When your hard drive fail and you have no more Downloands left ( if any at all) good luck with DD!

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I like having something to hold in my hands.
kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

I prefer hard copies, but I've no problem with digital distribution.

Doom_HellKnight
same