Pokemon appeals to everyone?Eh..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

qewrewq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 qewrewq
Member since 2004 • 1274 Posts
I've seen some sheep here saying that Pokemon appeals to everyone..well it might be a very popular series, but saying it appeals to everyone and it's the GREATEST GAME EVER is just stupid. For me pokemon is a game I used to love when I was 11-13, but I totally lost interest in it now. Why do people think pokemon is such a great game for all ages? Because it obviousy doesn't appeal to anyone.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
I've seen some sheep here saying that Pokemon appeals to everyone..well it might be a very popular series, but saying it appeals to everyone and it's the GREATEST GAME EVER is just stupid. For me pokemon is a game I used to love when I was 11-13, but I totally lost interest in it now. Why do people think pokemon is such a great game for all ages? Because it obviousy doesn't appeal to anyone.qewrewq
Doesn't appeal to anyone? I think it does, I swear if I see another "how old are you and are you getting Pokemon" thread on the DS boards I'll scream. The thing is a lot of people played it when they were young so associate it with some of the things you need loose when you move on. Those people were probably never engaged in the game in the first place, but just following the sad fad that was going around at the time. For those who understood the difference between a kids phenomonon and a deep game it made no difference how old they were.
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts
I'm not going to say that it's the best game ever but those 13 year old you say, who played the original Pokemon have grown up now and may still like it.
meekman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 meekman
Member since 2005 • 659 Posts

probably best not to take their words as a literal translation. They most likely mean  pokemon appeals to a larger majority when compared to other games...they just get a bit excited about it and all since the new versions are coming out soon.

Ultimate_Peon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ultimate_Peon
Member since 2003 • 587 Posts
...Does this mean you don't want to face my Venasaur?
coreygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 coreygames
Member since 2005 • 5027 Posts
Pokemon doesn't really "appeal" to me anymore. But I probably will rent the game coming out just to see if I like the game.
Brown52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Brown52
Member since 2006 • 2639 Posts

I have pokemon red and I loved it.  I even battled friends using the system link cable. 

But I definately grew out of it.  It really does seem childish to me now for some reason. 

Weslii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Weslii
Member since 2007 • 2309 Posts
I still love the environment everytime I play Pokemon game.
Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts
It appeals to everyone who can shrug off the supposed 'kiddy' nomen associated with Pokemon. How can you 'grow-out' of one of the most in-depth and detailed games around? You can become tired of the repetetive forumla and the overload of different monsters but that is nothing to do with age.
MorisUkunRasik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MorisUkunRasik
Member since 2006 • 1511 Posts
if they had a strong 3D version for the wii that fixed all the things I didn't like about the handheld versions I would buy a wii right away instead of waiting. And for the record I'm 18
Avatar image for LinKuei_warrior
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 LinKuei_warrior
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
Ill admitt,pokemon did appeal to me some time in my life,but that was what?7-9 years ago? *goes to garage to dust off pokemon tin card case*
MorisUkunRasik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MorisUkunRasik
Member since 2006 • 1511 Posts
I'm always down for a dumbed down rpg and I'm not being sarcastic
yamum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 yamum2
Member since 2007 • 5879 Posts
Well i stopped liking the show years ago but i still love playing the game and so do my friends.
vweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vweet
Member since 2006 • 5096 Posts
it doesn't appeal to everyone it appeals to people who don't mind playing a "kiddy" game. i actually still find it fun and probably will for years.
Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts
The games are still stop quality on the handhelds, i am 21 and still enjoy them. The fact is it is the highest selling franchise in the past decade and will eventually take over Mario at the rate it is going as number one of all time. It is a system seller and if the GS staff (who are not kids) can give the games high ratings then it illustrates people of all ages can enjoy it.
Zandeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zandeus
Member since 2006 • 3124 Posts

I dont know about Pokemon, I always assumed it was a kids game as I was older already when Pokemon craze started.... however when I was young TMNT, Transformers & Mario were all huge and developed for kids, the same as they are nowadays, although Transformers has gotten a more mature look with the new BLockbuster film coming this summer (I CANT WAIT).... and any way, to make a long story short, I still very much look forward to games bearing those names..... not that they all impress me when finished, but when i first hear about them, I start hoping for the best!

IN short I dont care if a game is considered kiddy to millions of other gamers.... I'll play it if I like it!  Part of being a grown up is realizing that what everyone else thinks, doesnt really matter.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Articuno76
The games are still stop quality on the handhelds, i am 21 and still enjoy them. The fact is it is the highest selling franchise in the past decade and will eventually take over Mario at the rate it is going as number one of all time. It is a system seller and if the GS staff (who are not kids) can give the games high ratings then it illustrates people of all ages can enjoy it.Nintendo_Man
Just to stop you on the last point, none of the main Pokemon games have gotten AAA here I believe, not even Red and Blue, which I think is flat out ridiculous.
TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts
I have never had the urge to collect all the pokemon. I have tried the games but after a couple of hours playing it, it really bored me. And the games are now rehashes of each other...Pokemon just doesn't do it for me, sorry.. When the anime and videogames first came out in Europe I was somewhere between 17-20 years old. I was too old to get hooked to the anime, so there wasn't any interest triggered to buy those games.
Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Man"]The games are still stop quality on the handhelds, i am 21 and still enjoy them. The fact is it is the highest selling franchise in the past decade and will eventually take over Mario at the rate it is going as number one of all time. It is a system seller and if the GS staff (who are not kids) can give the games high ratings then it illustrates people of all ages can enjoy it.Articuno76

Just to stop you on the last point, none of the main Pokemon games have gotten AAA here I believe, not even Red and Blue, which I think is flat out ridiculous.

But an 8-8.9 is still a high rating, 9.0+ is a very high rating. 

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Articuno76
[QUOTE="TheFlush"]I have never had the urge to collect all the pokemon. I have tried the games but after a couple of hours playing it, it really bored me. And the games are now rehashes of each other...Pokemon just doesn't do it for me, sorry.. When the anime and videogames first came out in Europe I was somewhere between 17-20 years old. I was too old to get hooked to the anime, so there wasn't any interest triggered to buy those games.

I've never been to interested in the collecting aspect either, but then I still love the games, I prefer the training and fighting aspect.
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wavebrid
Member since 2006 • 8204 Posts

I've seen some sheep here saying that Pokemon appeals to everyone..well it might be a very popular series, but saying it appeals to everyone and it's the GREATEST GAME EVER is just stupid. For me pokemon is a game I used to love when I was 11-13, but I totally lost interest in it now. Why do people think pokemon is such a great game for all ages? Because it obviousy doesn't appeal to anyone.qewrewq

NEWS FLASH TIME CHANGES BEACUSE IT IS DEAL WITH IT AND IT DOSE APPEL TO EVERYONE.

joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts
the last pokemon i played was on the gameboy color...
TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts
[QUOTE="Articuno76"][QUOTE="TheFlush"]I have never had the urge to collect all the pokemon. I have tried the games but after a couple of hours playing it, it really bored me. And the games are now rehashes of each other...Pokemon just doesn't do it for me, sorry.. When the anime and videogames first came out in Europe I was somewhere between 17-20 years old. I was too old to get hooked to the anime, so there wasn't any interest triggered to buy those games.

I've never been to interested in the collecting aspect either, but then I still love the games, I prefer the training and fighting aspect.

I can understand that, to me it's all just too repetitive. I guess I'm just more into story driven games.
qewrewq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 qewrewq

[QUOTE="qewrewq"]I've seen some sheep here saying that Pokemon appeals to everyone..well it might be a very popular series, but saying it appeals to everyone and it's the GREATEST GAME EVER is just stupid. For me pokemon is a game I used to love when I was 11-13, but I totally lost interest in it now. Why do people think pokemon is such a great game for all ages? Because it obviousy doesn't appeal to anyone.wavebrid

NEWS FLASH TIME CHANGES BEACUSE IT IS DEAL WITH IT AND IT DOSE APPEL TO EVERYONE.

lol?
UndyingVayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 UndyingVayne
Member since 2007 • 140 Posts
it appeals because it is a great RPG not because it is pokemon
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wavebrid
[QUOTE="wavebrid"]

[QUOTE="qewrewq"]I've seen some sheep here saying that Pokemon appeals to everyone..well it might be a very popular series, but saying it appeals to everyone and it's the GREATEST GAME EVER is just stupid. For me pokemon is a game I used to love when I was 11-13, but I totally lost interest in it now. Why do people think pokemon is such a great game for all ages? Because it obviousy doesn't appeal to anyone.qewrewq

lol?

seem your to young to understand

qewrewq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 qewrewq
[QUOTE="qewrewq"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

[QUOTE="qewrewq"]I've seen some sheep here saying that Pokemon appeals to everyone..well it might be a very popular series, but saying it appeals to everyone and it's the GREATEST GAME EVER is just stupid. For me pokemon is a game I used to love when I was 11-13, but I totally lost interest in it now. Why do people think pokemon is such a great game for all ages? Because it obviousy doesn't appeal to anyone.wavebrid

lol?

And that's coming from someone who can't even spell.
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wavebrid
[QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="qewrewq"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

[QUOTE="qewrewq"]I've seen some sheep here saying that Pokemon appeals to everyone..well it might be a very popular series, but saying it appeals to everyone and it's the GREATEST GAME EVER is just stupid. For me pokemon is a game I used to love when I was 11-13, but I totally lost interest in it now. Why do people think pokemon is such a great game for all ages? Because it obviousy doesn't appeal to anyone.qewrewq

lol?

spelling has nothing to do with anything :|

Beaucse frankly you dont know me or why do you yea thats what i thought :|

Corvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Corvin
Member since 2002 • 7266 Posts
I've tried to get into Pokemon games in the past but I just couldn't. I guess I understand the fascination, though. But games like Pokemon have too much of that Japanese cutesy design that I can't stomach too well. Its almost strange to see adorable little critters doing battle. I say, if they're going to battle, go all the way, Happy Tree Friends style. Mmm... I don't think an M-rated Pokemon game would sell though.
XxTRIFORCExX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 XxTRIFORCExX
Member since 2007 • 406 Posts
Just because Pokemon sells well among little children dosen't mean they aren't good games and older people can't enjoy them. I don't see how a little kid can understand the complexity of EVs/IVs (Look them up). I mean a properly EV Trained Pokemon would wipe the floor with any normal Pokemon.
Lucifer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lucifer007
Member since 2006 • 1132 Posts
whatever I had it whn I was 7 and will continue to play to Im old
Avatar image for Riviera_Phantom
Riviera_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 Riviera_Phantom
Member since 2006 • 3658 Posts
The Main Pokemon games are still very addictive and good. Just a crap Cartoon/Film and everything related to it including garbage spin off games.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Hellz yah.
Avatar image for Riviera_Phantom
Riviera_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 Riviera_Phantom
Member since 2006 • 3658 Posts
[QUOTE="qewrewq"][QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="qewrewq"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

lol?

spelling has nothing to do with anything :|

Beaucse frankly you dont know me or why do you yea thats what i thought :|

Spelling and Grammar.
FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FoamingPanda
Member since 2003 • 2567 Posts

[OP]....pokemon appeals to everyone below the age of 15 or unable to read a novel.

Because this industry is still mainly dominated by children.  

I'm past the age of puberty myself.  It takes quite a bit more than a childish and pointless story about boys who capture little things in balls and make their balls fight to gain my interest. 

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wavebrid

[OP]....pokemon appeals to everyone below the age of 15 or unable to read a novel.

I'm past the age of puberty myself.  It takes quite a bit more than a childish and pointless story about boys who capture little things in balls and make their balls fight to gain my interest. 

FoamingPanda

its an rpg you just seeing the "kiddie cartoon" towrds it :roll:

rpg are just not my thing anyways but makes you look like an idiot

Avatar image for theheavydrinker
theheavydrinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 theheavydrinker
Member since 2004 • 1524 Posts
Pokemon's a kiddy rpg. It takes the mechanics of RPGs and dumbs them down for kids. It also has that "catch 'em all" gimmick going which makes people get the new games.
FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FoamingPanda
[QUOTE="FoamingPanda"]

wavebrid

If you evaluate the story-telling and dialouge within Pokemon for what it is, I can almost ASSURE you that ANY book you can find in your local dollar store's children section will contain a plot ten times more complex and meaningful than the reptitive crap Pokemon shovels down gamers' mouths.

The problem isn't that Pokemon is made for children -- that's fine.  The problem is we judge Pokemon on a scale, as if it were comparable to higher forms of entertainment, that inflates its value well beyond the demand of a childish audience.  It would be like placing "Carebears Forever" right below "Citizen Kane" on the "greatest-all-time" movie list, =/.

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wavebrid
[QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="FoamingPanda"]

FoamingPanda

If you evaluate the story-telling and dialouge within Pokemon for what it is, I can almost ASSURE you that ANY book you can find in your local dollar store's children section will contain a plot ten times more complex and meaningful than the reptitive crap Pokemon shovels down gamers' mouths.

The problem isn't that Pokemon is made for children -- that's fine.  The problem is we judge Pokemon on a scale, as if it were comparable to higher forms of entertainment, that inflates its value well beyond the demand of a childish audience.  It would be like placing "Carebears Forever" right below "Citizen Kane" on the "greatest-all-time" movie list, =/.

News flash we dont even know the story or plot your assuming  :|

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wavebrid

Pokemon's a kiddy rpg. It takes the mechanics of RPGs and dumbs them down for kids. It also has that "catch 'em all" gimmick going which makes people get the new games.theheavydrinker

ok define kidde please :roll:

FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FoamingPanda
[QUOTE="FoamingPanda"][QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="FoamingPanda"]

wavebrid

News Flash:  I stand to reason, from previous Pokemon games, that Nintendo will again meet the demands of the average Pokemon consumer.

And I ask you, what demographic makes up the average Pokemon consumer?

I didn't exactly see people running out from bars, or good book signings to stand in line for the next awe-inspiring "pokemon" title.

The_One_White

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The_One_White
Member since 2006 • 1417 Posts
pokemon got repetitive and boring....when i was 10
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
Yep, I was in 5th grade when the original games came out and have missed every iteration since (well, I played emerald...) but D and P are making me take another look.
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wavebrid
[QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="FoamingPanda"][QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="FoamingPanda"]

FoamingPanda

News Flash:  I stand to reason, from previous Pokemon games, that Nintendo will again meet the demands of the average Pokemon consumer.

I didn't exactly see people running out from bars, or good book signings to stand in line for the next awe-inspiring "pokemon" title.

i seem alot of more people reserve  pokemon above th age 15 :|
FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FoamingPanda
[QUOTE="FoamingPanda"][QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="FoamingPanda"][QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="FoamingPanda"]

wavebrid

Man, you must live in some sort of wacky mirror-universe, where explicitly childish products are hailed with the same esteem and respect as products that are intrinsically more complex, meaningful, and deep. 

But, in actuality, I question the accuracy of your observations, or assuming they are true, the true demographic of Pokemon.  I suppose you might see a few people over the age of 15 purchasing the game, but their tastes are subject to intense question (unless they are simply mindlessly purchasing the game to relive some form of childish nostalgia).

haols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 haols
Member since 2005 • 2348 Posts
Those who doesn't enjoy Pokemon because they feel they are too old needs to grow up. Seriously get rid of that insecurity, once you are rid of it you are free to enjoy all games.
FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FoamingPanda

Those who doesn't enjoy Pokemon because they feel they are too old needs to grow up. Seriously get rid of that insecurity, once you are rid of it you are free to enjoy all games. haols

Someone who doesn't acknowledge Pokemon as a childish game is either confused over the definition of "childish," or has become so insecure with their gaming hobby that they can no longer compare things against a decent adult standard.

I'm not going to lower my standards and enjoy inferior and simple products like Nintendo wants.  I'm too mature, my standards are where they need to be, and I demand much more for my money.  Most adults and mature consumers share my stance on this issue.  We're not children anymore -- and we demand products that are not explicitly made around children.

I don't care if you're 30 and love Pokemon -- you might simply enjoy games that make you feel like a kid again.  But it does not change the fact that the game is childish, and the fact it is childish does not change the fact that it is inheriently less complex, meaningful, and intellectually stimulating than other forms of adult media (and thus fun). 

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wavebrid
[QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="FoamingPanda"][QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="FoamingPanda"][QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="FoamingPanda"]

FoamingPanda

Man, you must live in some sort of wacky mirror-universe, where explicitly childish products are hailed with the same esteem and respect as products that are intrinsically more complex, meaningful, and deep. 

But, in actuality, I question the accuracy of your observations, or assuming they are true, the true demographic of Pokemon.  I suppose you might see a few people over the age of 15 purchasing the game, but their tastes are subject to intense question (unless they are simply mindlessly purchasing the game to relive some form of childish nostalgia).

no its you kind of trolls :|

i work at gamestop and see alot of things .

there more than a few :|

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 wavebrid

[QUOTE="haols"]Those who doesn't enjoy Pokemon because they feel they are too old needs to grow up. Seriously get rid of that insecurity, once you are rid of it you are free to enjoy all games. FoamingPanda

Someone who doesn't acknowledge Pokemon as a childish game is either confused over the definition of "childish," or has become so insecure with their gaming hobby that they can no longer compare things against a decent adult standard.

I'm not going to lower my standards and enjoy inferior and simple products like Nintendo wants.  I'm too mature, my standards are where they need to be, and I demand much more for my money.  Most adults and mature consumers share my stance on this issue.  We're not children anymore -- and we demand products that are not explicitly made around children.

I don't care if you're 30 and love Pokemon -- you might simply enjoy games that make you feel like a kid again.  But it does not change the fact that the game is childish, and the fact it is childish does not change the fact that it is inheriently less complex, meaningful, and intellectually stimulating than other forms of adult media (and thus fun). 

SHOW ME HOW IT CHILDISH

Just beacuse its a cartoon and apples to kids dosent make it childish :|

just like tmnt

FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FoamingPanda
[QUOTE="FoamingPanda"]

[QUOTE="haols"]Those who doesn't enjoy Pokemon because they feel they are too old needs to grow up. Seriously get rid of that insecurity, once you are rid of it you are free to enjoy all games. wavebrid

SHOW ME HOW IT CHILDISH

Just beacuse its a cartoon and apples to kids dosent make it childish :|

just like tmnt

Because the ideas within the game are so grossly simplified and astranged from the reality of the human experience (even humans in sci-fi and fantasy settings) that only the most naieve and innocent person would value the content for more than what it is.  Crude facts of life -- for example, team rocket should simply slit the throat of Ash in his sleep and steal his Pokemon -- are not even concievable in the Pokemon universe; the plot and structure of the world lacks meaning, depth, and complexity that should naturally come to any work of media which should be acknowledged as a mature and meaningful experience.  

Certain facets of the game design -- its cartoony and "catchemall (buy them all) mentality -- are explicitly marketed around the demands of children.  The merchandising and sales strategies employed are designed specifically to grasp the attention of children.  It is a childish product, grossly over-simplified, and devoid of meaning.  It doesn't make it worthless, but it cannot be compared on the same level with a game that contains ten-fold the complexity and meaning. 

Â