"Plot is Highly overrated" according to developers

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

Titanfall is an awesome game and its completely devoid of story. A good story is just a bonus imo. There are some games like Spec Ops: The Line, where the story alone can carry you through, but those are few.

The story alone didn't remotely carry me through that game. The generic third person gunplay bored me to death. OP left out the part where the guy stated that developers should place more emphasis on characters and building relationships with those characters in games. Honestly, I think he has a point. I didn't like the Mass Effect series because of its generic-as-**** save the universe from the big bad boogy men plot; I enjoyed it because of the characters and how I affected them.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

well, when they start making games with stories that last between 90 to 120 minutes then I'm sure we'll start to see parity

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

So I can list of what happens in an episode of friends or a 2 hour movie pritty precise but when I'm asked to explain the plot of a 15-20hr game and am not as precise or all knowing, it's because I don't care about plots. Not because I have a hard time remember 20hr of content..... Sometimes I hate this industry.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Plots in general are secondary to characters. Without sympathetic, relatable people driving a narrative, the plot is almost guaranteed to be forgettable.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#55 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Lucianu said:

@jg4xchamp said:

To a game being good? sure. It certainly doesn't carry as much weight as gameplay and game design overall. It's an interactive medium, and if that part sucks, the game sucks.

That example though speaks more to the fact that videogame stories are dog shit when compared to better story telling mediums.

That's true.. (except for the dog shit part) but, in a book, or a movie, you don't have any choice but to follow one path set in stone.

I may state the obvious here, but there's one strength to video game storytelling that is above the other mediums. In Planescape: Torment, for example, the way the story & storytelling is designed around player choice is a experience that couldn't possibly be transferred to the other two mediums.

Then there's Silent Hill 2, in which 80% of the entire story is told without a spec of dialogue or cutscene. But with pure interpretation of the exploration within the game world, in the enemy design, in the soundtrack, etc. There's a shit ton of detail to the story of this incredible game that's easily missable.

Problem is that to have a good plot in a game, you need good writing and a good way to design the game around the script, and not the other way around. Why is that a problem? There are a minuscule number of truly good writers in the video game industry.

When gaming actually sticks to telling it's "story" through the game it yields more interesting results, and that's the ultimate balancing act game developers have never had a handle on. It's why accomplished authors or film writers struggle when writing gaming stories as well. It's not as organic as any other medium where you are literally telling the story. In a game you have to be mindful of the game, and the game has to be part of your plot.

Are there exceptional works in gaming? Not really when you do hold them to the bar of something legit exceptional in film or literature. Are there exceptions to the rule that videogame stories mostly suck? sure. Planescape, Silent Hill 2, Mother 3 are big ones, even recent stuff like Last of Us(albeit incredibly generic plot line) and Portal fit the bill as well.
But the other issue is that to tell some of these stories, devs compromise the game to adapt to the plot or straight up drop gameplay down to basics, and then you get an interactive experience that is lifeless, shallow, boring, repetitive. Which means you accomplished something in this medium while backstabbing the most important part of the medium: the interactivity.

At this point I'm more interested in games that tell their stories through the player or the game. Actual player driven stuff like State of Decay or Xcom, not facades like 999(which fair enough has a good plot, however not as play driven as it's fanbase wants to pretend it is) or a Mass Effect. Of course the only issue with that part is, XCom's plot is basically aliens took over this shit, and general McDuckyswag(yes I spend a lot of time nicknaming my squad) has to kick them off his planet.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 jg4xchamp

@kittennose said:

I think it would be far better if story tellers experimented with what programs can do, rather then trying to shoe horn game play elements into any entertainment product that is enjoyed via a K+M or gamepad. I honestly do think most tell tale games would be better as visual novels without game play elements. I am pretty sure the shooting aspects of the Borderlands one will be the worst part of it.

While I don't know much about Journey, I know that the best way to experience it isn't by watching youtube. There is more interactivity then just pressing W until you find the next game over screen that rewards you with a bit of dialogue. I am not exaggerating either, That is how TSP works. You press W for 10% of the game, press A or D for 1% of the game each. and stand around listening to someone talk for the other 88%. Most of the 10% where you press W you are retracing a path you already walked down. Youtubing it erases that tedious stupidity.

I am very interested in virtual tourism. I am also very interested in visual novels that allow you to focus the story on aspects you consider interesting. You can only hold back these types of programs however by putting them into the box marked game. When people reach into that box expecting to find a game only to come up with tourism or a novel many of them are going to be very displeased and justifiably so. The only reason The Stanley Parable is mocked is because it is in the game box. Many people who might like it will refuse to experience it because “It is not a game.” To be fair there is merit to the argument, because the worst part of it is the run between respawning and walking to the next bit of exposition. That also happens to be is it's only game play element. The only one that isn't satirical anyway.

Yeah well in Tell-Tales case they have always been poor in the adventure gameplay department even back when they were doing sam and max. They make dumb pixel hunts, and straight offensive adventure game logic puzzles. Daedelic does way better stuff on a gameplay level in that genre than Telltale ever does. So it was kind of in their best interest to cut it down to it's bare minimum in The Walking Dead to make it work.

Yeah Stanley Parable I feel like is more for people who love talking/experiencing game on a different level. More students of the medium type shit. People who are really into the nuance of making a game, and how a game is made, and how a game executes what it's going for. I think the real issue for that type of stuff isn't that it gets made, is that the way gaming media puts it on this weirdo pedestal sometimes that irks people the wrong way. Part of that pedestal I understand; I am personally also tired of the same ol same ol games wise. I want to try fresher more daring stuff in the medium(hence why a lot of my gaming has come to indie games), but at the same time I also do I like a game with more depth to it than walk here, let someone talk.

Gone Home is an idea that I think could be neat. The idea of you are in this environment and piecing a story together. Essentially turning your brain into the game mechanic. Cool idea, Gone home just executes it shitty, because the story you are piecing together is fairly straight forward, and mostly stupid. Plus a lot of stuff in that game just breaks your suspension of disbelief. At the least it still wouldn't offend me as much as Brothers.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#57 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Nothing grinds my gears more to see gamers say, "Stories don't belong in games at all; if you want a story then read a book." Are you so simple-minded that you don't see the industry is large enough for games with and without stories?

If it is a matter of the current state of video game narratives, namely their quality and complexity, you have to understand that the video game medium is incredibly young and quickly changing due to technology. Look at how stories were presented in 2001, and then compare that to last year. There was growth and game narratives will continue to get better as developers understand their importance and how to best make it work.

Some games work well with having their stories told entirely in-game, like Half-Life or Super Metroid. Others succeed with having a mix of gameplay and cutscenes, a la The Last of Us and many other games. This industry is big enough for both ways to tell a story in a video game and as time goes on developers will get better at both. Would you have imagined being able to control your character through some of the set-pieces that Uncharted presented players, even with minimal control, back during the Playstation and N64 days? That was ten years difference, what will come for storytelling ten years from now?

= = = = =

There are quite a few stories I could label off the top of my head from video games, though I've played quite a few. I wonder what the people questioned have played; if they were sports gamers or primarily multiplayer focused gamers, or even gamers who played Skyrim or other games with a lot of supplemental quests and collectables, I don't blame them for not being able to recall the stories they've gone through.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Titanfall has a fucking terrible 2 hour SP with characters nobody gives a shit about and shit happening nobody gives a shit about.

Portal 2 on the other hand delivered both a multiplayer experience (that has a story and is well written) and a single player vastly (VASTLY) superior to any shit Respawn will do.

Yet Titanfall is still a good game, even though it has shitty characters and plot. You proved him right.

Portal, meh. I'll bring some other examples from the same developer. TF2, L4D, CS, Dota all great games. Nonexistent plot but great games nonetheless.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#59 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

It's because these developers can't write. So now story is overrated. These developers never cease to amaze me the stuff they come up with. Tell these developers to come up with a great story and then tell me it's overrated. The thing is they can't. the ones who can don't think it's overrated.

i got to agree.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Pretty sure Nintendo could have told developers that long ago.

Vecna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Vecna
Member since 2002 • 3425 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I like a good story, but games are games above anything else. if the gameplay sucks, forget about it

What this dork said.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

They point to research conducted by Microsoft, indicating “that players really hardly remember the plots of the games that they play. When they were asked, ‘tell me the plot of your favorite movie,’ they did it at length, and very accurately. When they were asked, ‘tell me the plot of your favorite TV show,’ they did it at length, and very accurately. ‘Tell me the plot of your favorite game.’ Not so much at length, not so accurate.”

The data does indicate, however, that characters are different: “game characters were consistently remembered, but not necessarily for their role in the plot,” the men said, citing Microsoft’s research.

“So the question is,” he later continued, “how much does the third act pay off, that you’re putting so much work into, as you’re trying to structure your plot, intricately. How much does that matter, when the fact is that a majority of your players are never even going to see it?”

So what are your thoughts? I highly disagree myself and think a story in a game is really important in the singleplayer

Link

Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that game plots suck, as does the overall writing for games, period? There are exceptions. I can tell you what TLoU is about easily. Ask me about Metal Gear? I can't, because it's written by the mind of an 8 year old.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#65 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@edidili said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Titanfall has a fucking terrible 2 hour SP with characters nobody gives a shit about and shit happening nobody gives a shit about.

Portal 2 on the other hand delivered both a multiplayer experience (that has a story and is well written) and a single player vastly (VASTLY) superior to any shit Respawn will do.

Yet Titanfall is still a good game, even though it has shitty characters and plot. You proved him right.

Portal, meh. I'll bring some other examples from the same developer. TF2, L4D, CS, Dota all great games. Nonexistent plot but great games nonetheless.

Every title listed has plot. And I was proven right (again) (which is amazing).

spaceninja818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 spaceninja818
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts

Some of my most favorite games of all time are story driven games. In my opinion, those are the type of games that will be remembered years from now, not some mindless multiplayer games.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 The_Last_Ride

@MirkoS77: Mass Effect? Dragon Age? GTA V? Red Dead Redemption? Walking Dead? etc

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i remember most of the game plots that i play unless it was an fps.

on a side note, i had no idea who some of the characters and plot points are for killzone shadowfall....

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@Zassimick said:

Nothing grinds my gears more to see gamers say, "Stories don't belong in games at all; if you want a story then read a book." Are you so simple-minded that you don't see the industry is large enough for games with and without stories?

If it is a matter of the current state of video game narratives, namely their quality and complexity, you have to understand that the video game medium is incredibly young and quickly changing due to technology. Look at how stories were presented in 2001, and then compare that to last year. There was growth and game narratives will continue to get better as developers understand their importance and how to best make it work.

Then the film industry must be still in its infancy considering that it is thousands of years younger than the written medium. Right? And that's why i disagree with this wildly used statement that the youth of this industry is the problem. The evolution of narrative within video games, the film medium and written medium cannot be compared based on their age because it makes no sense, both film and games are entangled together with the written medium, film is completely different in its storytelling compared to video games.

Video games are interaction, while film is solely designed to be watched. The fact that a lot of developers borrow from the film medium to create a hybrid (thus you've got cutscenes, scripted scenes and 'cinematic' gameplay, that is insultingly limited for the sake of spectacle) doesn't detract from my point. I'm sorry if i couldn't explain it better, english is not my 1st language.

My argument is that borrowing is not evolution, and controling your character through some of the set-pieces in Uncharted is nothing more than borrowing from the film medium.

Besides, if this were a valid claim then past games focused on the narrative department should not be superior to present games focused on the same thing. Yet, Planescape: Torment and Grim Fandango exist, light years more evolved in complexity and quality than pretty much anything out there, in my humble opinion anyway.

Why is that? Because the quality and complexity of a video game narrative is tied with the competence of the writer and development team that does or does not design the game around the script. Ludonarrative Dissonance is the result wen the dev. team does not design the game around the story.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Lol MS and their research, would love to be those guys, getting paid for the huge amount of BS they spew out.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Lucianu

@jg4xchamp said:

1. When gaming actually sticks to telling it's "story" through the game it yields more interesting results, and that's the ultimate balancing act game developers have never had a handle on. It's why accomplished authors or film writers struggle when writing gaming stories as well. It's not as organic as any other medium where you are literally telling the story. In a game you have to be mindful of the game, and the game has to be part of your plot.

2. Are there exceptional works in gaming? Not really when you do hold them to the bar of something legit exceptional in film or literature. Are there exceptions to the rule that videogame stories mostly suck? sure. Planescape, Silent Hill 2, Mother 3 are big ones, even recent stuff like Last of Us(albeit incredibly generic plot line) and Portal fit the bill as well.

3. But the other issue is that to tell some of these stories, devs compromise the game to adapt to the plot or straight up drop gameplay down to basics, and then you get an interactive experience that is lifeless, shallow, boring, repetitive. Which means you accomplished something in this medium while backstabbing the most important part of the medium: the interactivity.

4. At this point I'm more interested in games that tell their stories through the player or the game. Actual player driven stuff like State of Decay or Xcom, not facades like 999(which fair enough has a good plot, however not as play driven as it's fanbase wants to pretend it is) or a Mass Effect. Of course the only issue with that part is, XCom's plot is basically aliens took over this shit, and general McDuckyswag(yes I spend a lot of time nicknaming my squad) has to kick them off his planet.

1. I agree.

2. The story (how its designed, how its written, how its told) in Planescape is exceptional though.

The scene with Morte at the Pillar of Skulls, the confrontation between Ravel Puzzlewell and the Nameless One, the unravel of the answer(s) to that question.. . Damn. Yep, i'm going to say it, that shit can rival the good stuff from literature and film. Here's one of my favorite quotes:

"Vhailor: When the injustice is great enough, justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it. None may stand against it. It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment, and lend its servant the power to pass sentence. Know this: There is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them. It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods. Know that for all who betray justice, I am their fate. And fate carries an executioner's axe.

Nameless One: I see.

Vhailor: No, you do not see. Pray you never will."

3. That's true, especially these days.

4. Best fucking nickname ever.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Every title listed has plot. And I was proven right (again) (which is amazing).

What? Round starts, kill terrorists is a plot? Round starts, run around and get to the chopper is a plot? I guess it is but is crappy, minimal and might as well not exist. It would change nothing because on those games plot is not the point.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@Lucianu said:

@Zassimick said:

Then the film industry must be still in its infancy considering that it is thousands of years younger than the written medium. Right? And that's why i disagree with this wildly used statement that the youth of this industry is the problem. The evolution of narrative within video games, the film medium and written medium cannot be compared based on their age because it makes no sense, both film and games are entangled together with the written medium, film is completely different in its storytelling compared to video games.

Video games are interaction, while film is solely designed to be watched. The fact that a lot of developers borrow from the film medium to create a hybrid (thus you've got cutscenes, scripted scenes and 'cinematic' gameplay, that is insultingly limited for the sake of spectacle) doesn't detract from my point. I'm sorry if i couldn't explain it better, english is not my 1st language.

My argument is that borrowing is not evolution, and controling your character through some of the set-pieces in Uncharted is nothing more than borrowing from the film medium.

Besides, if this were a valid claim then past games focused on the narrative department should not be superior to present games focused on the same thing. Yet, Planescape: Torment and Grim Fandango exist, light years more evolved in complexity and quality than pretty much anything out there, in my humble opinion anyway.

Why is that? Because the quality and complexity of a video game narrative is tied with the competence of the writer and development team that does or does not design the game around the script. Ludonarrative Dissonance is the result wen the dev. team does not design the game around the story.

im sorry but the standards of story telling in movies now trumps the past for the most part. if you look at the past, the movie industry was bogged down with cliche's in writing and story telling elements.

if infancy of the medium was not accounted for, why are stories like goodfellas, fight club, memento done in the 30's and 40's? im not talking about production values and how it was shot, i'm talking about just story and dialogue. when i listen to dialogues, all i hear are one liner cliches and unrealistic dialogues. every story was straight forward...and i can even say bland for the most part.

and as a disclaimer im saying that there are still bad movies today and not every movie improved upon the past....but for the most part, the standards have been higher through time.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#74  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts
@Lucianu said:

So you disagree that the way a game tells its story has seen growth over time and with the evolution of technology?

When I say that the video game industry is still young I mean that I believe it truly is and that is without comparing it to other mediums. You were the one in your opening paragraph to make the comparison, not I. If I were to make any comparison of video gaming to another medium it would be the American musical. I fully agree that storytelling in all of these mediums is different; again, I did not make the comparison.

Take off my label of the industry as "young" and my point remains that in order to tell a story to the fullest, in order to do anything anywhere, there must be an understanding of the tools and rules, knowing when to use what tool and what rules to follow or break. Video games are evolving at a rapid rate because the technology is, thus the toolbox grows. Meanwhile, we have ideas of what the rules are to telling a story within a video game. Because there are so many types of games we see different approaches due to the circumstances.

Video games are about interaction, of course I don't disagree with you, but whose to say to what level of interaction? Some are meant to be fully played through, everything is seen for yourself as you are the character and there is no break from beginning to end because that's what happens in the story. Yet another type of interaction the developers may offer is one that offers an exciting bit of tense interaction, followed by a momentary break; and some developers choose to fill this break with a cutscene.

I know all too well cutscenes are a touchy subject, "you've got movie in my video game!" The fact of the matter is is that some of the stories developers wanted to tell may not fully work around the gameplay which goes back to the idea of having knowledge of the toolbox. Since devs could not figure out how to make the hero leap from a crumbling tower to a helicopter they relied on cutscenes.

As time went on more developers used cutscenes but we also started to see the two blend together either through in-game cutscenes or quick-time events. In fact, developers like Naughty Dog or Crystal Dynamics have gone out of their way to make what in the past would have been cutscenes or a QTE a fully player-driven moment. Is control sometimes limited in those events? Sure, but maybe it is just another stepping stone to having better control in the future?

You may want to elaborate more on your Uncharted argument that I highlighted as I didn't quite understand what you were going for. Is it that games shouldn't have set pieces at all because films do it? If that's the case I highly disagree and sort of feel like my reasoning is obvious there.

Those games have surely laid the groundwork. I don't disagree with your last paragraph at all, in fact I agree with you. What I would say on this end is that developers are still trying to figure out those pesky tools and rules, how to effectively utilize them to the best of their abilities. To figure out these tricks takes time and mistakes, again going back to my belief of the industry and its practices being young.

Because the industry is so varied with infinite possibilities there are a lot of ways to do something. Developers have discovered many ways and I don't think they've discovered the best solution; even when/if they do it won't be the only solution. Those solutions will be realized down the line as the toolbox increases with technology and as developers place more emphasis on blending gameplay and narrative within the medium.

= = = = =

A long, drawn out post that I hope addresses your points. Thanks for responding though! I love this topic and would love for narratives to have more focus. Again, I absolutely hate the mantra some have, "Stories don't belong in games at all; if you want a story then read a book." I play games because I love playing them, and having motivation behind actions or a strong story in there as well has, in my experience, made games memorable.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@jdc6305 said:

I don't care for plots or story in video games. If I wanted a strong plot or story I'd watch a movie.

Comments like this are not good for gaming industry as a whole if that's how a lot us feel, therefor reflecting the way the industry reacts.

I believe when done right, A Video game is a more effective way to tell a story than a Movie or a book. My example is the Mass Effect Series or Older Final Fantasy games or Chrono Trigger.

The stories behind those game would not be done any justice in movie form.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Let's kill off MP before we kill off stories.

If I wanted to interact with other people, I'd go outside and meet some who are'nt trash, or just bicker on forums.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

It's not quite fair I think. Games have a LOT of side content (for better or for worse - usually to artificially increase play time for those picky consumers). So it's probably just not easy to remember the plot lines because of a lot of side content. Not to mention some people probably don't play games from start to finish in 1 or 2 sittings. So it's not really a surprise if people can't remember plots to games. Especially if they're convoluted (like FF7 when it came out. Confused the shit out of me with the whole Zack/Cloud shit)

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MirkoS77: Mass Effect? Dragon Age? GTA V? Red Dead Redemption? Walking Dead? etc

Hence, exceptions.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#80  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

@Lucianu said:

@jg4xchamp said:

To a game being good? sure. It certainly doesn't carry as much weight as gameplay and game design overall. It's an interactive medium, and if that part sucks, the game sucks.

That example though speaks more to the fact that videogame stories are dog shit when compared to better story telling mediums.

That's true.. (except for the dog shit part) but, in a book, or a movie, you don't have any choice but to follow one path set in stone.

I may state the obvious here, but there's one strength to video game storytelling that is above the other mediums. In Planescape: Torment, for example, the way the story & storytelling is designed around player choice is a experience that couldn't possibly be transferred to the other two mediums.

Then there's Silent Hill 2, in which 80% of the entire story is told without a spec of dialogue or cutscene. But with pure interpretation of the exploration within the game world, in the enemy design, in the soundtrack, etc. There's a shit ton of detail to the story of this incredible game that's easily missable.

Problem is that to have a good plot in a game, you need good writing and a good way to design the game around the script, and not the other way around. Why is that a problem? There are a minuscule number of truly good writers in the video game industry.

When gaming actually sticks to telling it's "story" through the game it yields more interesting results, and that's the ultimate balancing act game developers have never had a handle on. It's why accomplished authors or film writers struggle when writing gaming stories as well. It's not as organic as any other medium where you are literally telling the story. In a game you have to be mindful of the game, and the game has to be part of your plot.

Are there exceptional works in gaming? Not really when you do hold them to the bar of something legit exceptional in film or literature. Are there exceptions to the rule that videogame stories mostly suck? sure. Planescape, Silent Hill 2, Mother 3 are big ones, even recent stuff like Last of Us(albeit incredibly generic plot line) and Portal fit the bill as well.

There are plenty of visual novel games with exceptionally well-written narratives that could hold their own against great works of any other medium. Two that immediately come to mind are Clannad and Steins Gate, among the handful of visual novel games I've played. However, this comes at the cost of gameplay, since the only real interaction you have is making narrative choices and little else. But the fact that you can make meaningful choices which have a big impact on how the story unfolds, that would be a form of gameplay in itself, and something that set them apart from linear narrative media.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@wolverine4262 said:

Titanfall is an awesome game and its completely devoid of story. A good story is just a bonus imo. There are some games like Spec Ops: The Line, where the story alone can carry you through, but those are few.

wahhhh wahhhhh wahhhhh infamous scored badly and titanfall beat it in scores.

oh and portal 2 was shit, it was just valve trying to make money off the successful first one its what valve does they don't have to create unqiue content they just let others released map packs then hire them on to create games around those mappacks but its something pirat....I meant hermits eat up hidden DRM and mappack based stuff.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#82 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

To be fair, and you all know it, most video game stories suck ass. It's that simple and probably also why most don't remember what happened in them. I'd much rather see developers focus on good characters than huge epic stories. With great characters, the stories will often tell themselves.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@wolverine4262 said:

wahhhh wahhhhh wahhhhh infamous scored badly and titanfall beat it in scores.

oh and portal 2 was shit, it was just valve trying to make money off the successful first one its what valve does they don't have to create unqiue content they just let others released map packs then hire them on to create games around those mappacks but its something pirat....I meant hermits eat up hidden DRM and mappack based stuff.

portal 2 was awesome. and he never said anything about infamous. durrr

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 jg4xchamp

@Jag85 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

@Lucianu said:

@jg4xchamp said:

There are plenty of visual novel games with exceptionally well-written narratives that could hold their own against great works of any other medium. Two that immediately come to mind are Clannad and Steins Gate, among the handful of visual novel games I've played. However, this comes at the cost of gameplay, since the only real interaction you have is making narrative choices and little else. But the fact that you can make meaningful choices which have a big impact on how the story unfolds, that would be a form of gameplay in itself, and something that set them apart from linear narrative media.

I can't speak to how those games handle those choices, but here are my questions

1: Does all that choice work overrule the fact that the rest of your interactions are worthless? because then it just enters choose your own adventure book territory. You know what I mean? if the answer to making a game tell a good story is make it less interactive it speaks to how poor of a story telling medium gaming is.
2: Are those choices legitimately different, or are they glorified facade? Because you can make "choices" in The Walking Dead, but the end result is mostly going down the same path. 999 does a lot of this, but offsets it by giving you extra shitty endings to pimp it's choice system. Essentially giving off this illusion of player driven narrative, but really it's still Telltale's narrative and whatever zero escape guys name is(too lazy to google right now)

Again I have not played the game, and have no real desire to descredit or anything, more willing to hear your response to my question, and how that aspect of the game holds up, and why it works as an effective counter to its lack of "gameplay' or whatever.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 The_Last_Ride

@MirkoS77 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Hence, exceptions.

There are more than enough games that have complex stories and plots. Generalizing doesn't help anyone tbh

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Agreed, it's all about the aesthetic.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Lucianu

@Zassimick said:
@Lucianu said:

So you disagree that the way a game tells its story has seen growth over time and with the evolution of technology?

When I say that the video game industry is still young I mean that I believe it truly is and that is without comparing it to other mediums. You were the one in your opening paragraph to make the comparison, not I. If I were to make any comparison of video gaming to another medium it would be the American musical. I fully agree that storytelling in all of these mediums is different; again, I did not make the comparison.

Take off my label of the industry as "young" and my point remains that in order to tell a story to the fullest, in order to do anything anywhere, there must be an understanding of the tools and rules, knowing when to use what tool and what rules to follow or break. Video games are evolving at a rapid rate because the technology is, thus the toolbox grows. Meanwhile, we have ideas of what the rules are to telling a story within a video game. Because there are so many types of games we see different approaches due to the circumstances.

Video games are about interaction, of course I don't disagree with you, but whose to say to what level of interaction? Some are meant to be fully played through, everything is seen for yourself as you are the character and there is no break from beginning to end because that's what happens in the story. Yet another type of interaction the developers may offer is one that offers an exciting bit of tense interaction, followed by a momentary break; and some developers choose to fill this break with a cutscene.

I know all too well cutscenes are a touchy subject, "you've got movie in my video game!" The fact of the matter is is that some of the stories developers wanted to tell may not fully work around the gameplay which goes back to the idea of having knowledge of the toolbox. Since devs could not figure out how to make the hero leap from a crumbling tower to a helicopter they relied on cutscenes.

As time went on more developers used cutscenes but we also started to see the two blend together either through in-game cutscenes or quick-time events. In fact, developers like Naughty Dog or Crystal Dynamics have gone out of their way to make what in the past would have been cutscenes or a QTE a fully player-driven moment. Is control sometimes limited in those events? Sure, but maybe it is just another stepping stone to having better control in the future?

You may want to elaborate more on your Uncharted argument that I highlighted as I didn't quite understand what you were going for. Is it that games shouldn't have set pieces at all because films do it? If that's the case I highly disagree and sort of feel like my reasoning is obvious there.

Those games have surely laid the groundwork. I don't disagree with your last paragraph at all, in fact I agree with you. What I would say on this end is that developers are still trying to figure out those pesky tools and rules, how to effectively utilize them to the best of their abilities. To figure out these tricks takes time and mistakes, again going back to my belief of the industry and its practices being young.

Because the industry is so varied with infinite possibilities there are a lot of ways to do something. Developers have discovered many ways and I don't think they've discovered the best solution; even when/if they do it won't be the only solution. Those solutions will be realized down the line as the toolbox increases with technology and as developers place more emphasis on blending gameplay and narrative within the medium.

= = = = =

A long, drawn out post that I hope addresses your points. Thanks for responding though! I love this topic and would love for narratives to have more focus. Again, I absolutely hate the mantra some have, "Stories don't belong in games at all; if you want a story then read a book." I play games because I love playing them, and having motivation behind actions or a strong story in there as well has, in my experience, made games memorable.

No, it's seen plenty of growth. I'm saying that the current way of storytelling in a lot of these big budget games, implemented via 'cinematic gameplay', scripted scenes and cutscenes is not a good way to tell a story, neither is it healthy for the medium because these are methods which take control away from the player, the antithesis of video games.

That's what i was talking about wen i said that Uncharted borrowed from the film medium. These games borrow methods from the film medium which is a medium completely opposite of video games. Video games are about choice, interaction, etc. Film is one path set in stone that is meant to be watched. The antithesis of video games.

I'd also like to say that i'm well aware that developers can do whatever they want, it's their idea, their project. But, my perspective on this is that the correct way to implement storytelling is through what games do best - interaction.

Not trying to be arrogant, i'm just thinking logical here; Because video games are interactive experiences, shouldn't the best solution be to implement a story that is interactive, a plot that does not rely on taking control away from you, but be in your control from start to finish? That is the next step that has ben halted to a stop long ago due to developers thinking that implementing methods from film is good storytelling.

Sorry about my presumption, i automatically thought that you were comparing them, that's what most people have done wen talking about this subject.

Your post was long, but well worth reading. I like good posts like that from respectable people like yourself. Makes drinking coffee and smoking a cig. relaxing at home after a hard day at work hella interesting!

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@Lucianu said:

@Zassimick said:
@Lucianu said:

= = = = =

No, it's seen plenty of growth. I'm saying that the current way of storytelling in a lot of these big budget games, implemented via 'cinematic gameplay', scripted scenes and cutscenes is not a good way to tell a story, neither is it healthy for the medium because these are methods which take control away from the player, the antithesis of video games.

That's what i was talking about wen i said that Uncharted borrowed from the film medium. These games borrow methods from the film medium which is a medium completely opposite of video games. Video games are about choice, interaction, etc. Film is one path set in stone that is meant to be watched. The antithesis of video games.

I'd also like to say that i'm well aware that developers can do whatever they want, it's their idea, their project. But, my perspective on this is that the correct way to implement storytelling is through what games do best - interaction.

Not trying to be arrogant, i'm just thinking logical here; Because video games are interactive experiences, shouldn't the best solution be to implement a story that is interactive, a plot that does not rely on taking control away from you, but be in your control from start to finish? That is the next step that has ben halted to a stop long ago due to developers thinking that implementing methods from film is good storytelling.

Sorry about my presumption, i automatically thought that you were comparing them, that's what most people have done wen talking about this subject.

Your post was long, but well worth reading. I like good posts like that from respectable people like yourself. Makes drinking coffee and smoking a cig. relaxing at home after a hard day at work hella interesting!

I suppose a simple way of putting it would be that it works best when you play the story rather then have it told to you.

Like HL2 did it, or Dark Souls. Hell, even Deus Ex: HR mostly lets you participate in the proceedings rather than serve you with cutscenes.

Movies actually tend to suffer from a similar issue with over exposition.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#89 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Plot for me is massive, gameplay is great but it's the story and plot which keep me playing through, I treat gaming as I do films and i love films, it's my passion and i believe one day games will be up there as a medium like films are, the only reason most can't tell you the plot in length is because of how big a game is and how much story there is in it, :S i don't get this study, I mean a fim which is an hour and a half long to 3 hours to a game which is 6hours plus i mean come on no wonder they can't tell you at great lengths. idiots

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

well plot can't save bad game play but good game play can easily save a bad plot so I agree. The best games have good game play and good plot though.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#91  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I tend to play games for the gameplay. There's not many series where I'd say I enjoy the story or really even care.

LanceX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 LanceX2
Member since 2014 • 312 Posts

The problem is not that he said this, is that its true.

Skyrim is loved, seriously very minute plot. GTA games have mediocre plots. Every huge game that is selling millions tend to have little to no plot, minus some of the best games of last gen

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Jag85

@jg4xchamp said:

@Jag85 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

@Lucianu said:

@jg4xchamp said:

I can't speak to how those games handle those choices, but here are my questions

1: Does all that choice work overrule the fact that the rest of your interactions are worthless? because then it just enters choose your own adventure book territory. You know what I mean? if the answer to making a game tell a good story is make it less interactive it speaks to how poor of a story telling medium gaming is.

2: Are those choices legitimately different, or are they glorified facade? Because you can make "choices" in The Walking Dead, but the end result is mostly going down the same path. 999 does a lot of this, but offsets it by giving you extra shitty endings to pimp it's choice system. Essentially giving off this illusion of player driven narrative, but really it's still Telltale's narrative and whatever zero escape guys name is(too lazy to google right now)

Again I have not played the game, and have no real desire to descredit or anything, more willing to hear your response to my question, and how that aspect of the game holds up, and why it works as an effective counter to its lack of "gameplay' or whatever.

1. The only real interaction in most visual novels are choosing what to say, what to do, or where to go. What makes them interactive is the ability to explore the impact your decisions have on the plot and characters, something you wouldn't be able to do with a book, movie, or TV show. Quite a few visual novels (like Clannad, Fate/Stay Night, Steins Gate, etc.) have been adapted into highly acclaimed anime films/shows, yet most fans agree the interactive storytelling of the original games is superior to the linear storytelling of the anime adaptations. This wouldn't be the case if gaming was a poor storytelling medium.

2. The Walking Dead and 999 are like hybrids between adventure games and visual novels. The choices are limited compared to proper visual novels, while the gameplay is limited compared to proper adventure games. In a proper visual novel, the storyline usually branches out a lot more, into various different paths/routes, each one having a well-written meaningful storyline in its own right (i.e. not facades). On the other hand, proper adventure games usually have linear plots to focus more on gameplay (puzzles, inventory, exploration, etc.).

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Maybe because majority of the video game stories suck.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 jg4xchamp

@Jag85 said:

1. The only real interaction in most visual novels are choosing what to say, what to do, or where to go. What makes them interactive is the ability to explore the impact your decisions have on the plot and characters, something you wouldn't be able to do with a book, movie, or TV show. Quite a few visual novels (like Clannad, Fate/Stay Night, Steins Gate, etc.) have been adapted into highly acclaimed anime films/shows, yet most fans agree the interactive storytelling of the original games is superior to the linear storytelling of the anime adaptations. This wouldn't be the case if gaming was a poor storytelling medium.

2. The Walking Dead and 999 are like hybrids between adventure games and visual novels. The choices are limited compared to proper visual novels, while the gameplay is limited compared to proper adventure games. In a proper visual novel, the storyline usually branches out a lot more, into various different paths/routes, each one having a well-written meaningful storyline in its own right (i.e. not facades). On the other hand, proper adventure games usually have linear plots to focus more on gameplay (puzzles, inventory, exploration, etc.).

1. I would argue that if anything it shows that you need to simplify a game to the most basic of interactions to make it tell a story that can stack up with another medium. Essentially a game with none of the nuance of depth of some of the most complex and satisfying videogames on the market, for the sake of being able to tell a story. If anything it does highlight gaming's weakness as a story telling medium, because it isn't organic. It lives and dies on this novelty of player investment because of their own interactions in the game.

Again I say this without having played it, but the fact that one style of genre:adventure games/visual novels is the only route this medium really succeeds with a consistent plot, and that one style of game is fundamentally shallower than what you can get in the other genres sort of speaks to the idea of trying to tell traditional 3 act plot in the form of a game. Because to pull it off, the game part has to take a backseat. Which again is essentially robbing the medium of it's big trump card.

2: And I would argue in both cases they would be bad arguments(The Walking Dead being a horrible argument) for gaming as a story telling medium. 999 I'm more iffy on with that type of discussion. The game's issue isn't so much that it's interactivity doesn't compliment it's plot(well I mean it kind of doesn't), my real issue with that game is that I hate every segment of that game that requires me to play it. Those puzzles are lame compared to actual puzzle games. Technically Walking Dead fits the same complaint, but Walking Dead also comes with the caveat that it's admiration is based entirely on some smoke and mirror work.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I don't think video games suffer from any weaknesses that make them bad for story-telling.

It's just that devs are terrible at coming up with better ideas to tell stories in games, and gamers are far too accepting of bad story-telling to begin with, so where's the incentive?

Gamers think that 'kill a bunch of bad guys > trigger cut scene > kill some more bad guys' is good story-telling. Just look at any topic about "Games with the best story-telling" and that's what everyone posts is games riddled with cut scenes, and set pieces.

I'm sure someday a dev will find a way to tell a good story in games without sacrificing gameplay. The best I've seen is in Valve games, but even then there are still lots of sections where you essentially do nothing to progress the story in between story segments.

I just hope that when that day comes gamers will be there to play it, and accept it.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Jag85

@jg4xchamp said:

@Jag85 said:

1. I would argue that if anything it shows that you need to simplify a game to the most basic of interactions to make it tell a story that can stack up with another medium. Essentially a game with none of the nuance of depth of some of the most complex and satisfying videogames on the market, for the sake of being able to tell a story. If anything it does highlight gaming's weakness as a story telling medium, because it isn't organic. It lives and dies on this novelty of player investment because of their own interactions in the game.

Again I say this without having played it, but the fact that one style of genre:adventure games/visual novels is the only route this medium really succeeds with a consistent plot, and that one style of game is fundamentally shallower than what you can get in the other genres sort of speaks to the idea of trying to tell traditional 3 act plot in the form of a game. Because to pull it off, the game part has to take a backseat. Which again is essentially robbing the medium of it's big trump card.

2: And I would argue in both cases they would be bad arguments(The Walking Dead being a horrible argument) for gaming as a story telling medium. 999 I'm more iffy on with that type of discussion. The game's issue isn't so much that it's interactivity doesn't compliment it's plot(well I mean it kind of doesn't), my real issue with that game is that I hate every segment of that game that requires me to play it. Those puzzles are lame compared to actual puzzle games. Technically Walking Dead fits the same complaint, but Walking Dead also comes with the caveat that it's admiration is based entirely on some smoke and mirror work.

1. Well, my point is that the whole 'choices & consequences' decision-making process is a form of gameplay in itself. Yes, it's a shallow form of gameplay, but I'd argue that 'choices & consequences' is in itself a big 'trump card' that an interactive medium (i.e. gaming) has over non-interactive media (i.e. books, movies, TV, comics, animation) when it comes to storytelling. That's why whenever a visual novel game is adapted into a linear medium (i.e. books, movies, TV, comics, animation), the original game is usually considered superior, because of the choices & consequences that linear media lack.

One reason why most games (other than visual novel & adventure games) struggle at storytelling is because of how difficult and convoluted the development process becomes as you increase the gameplay content, e.g. gameplay mechanics, world design, level designs, cutscene direction, art design, graphics, audio, bugs, beta testing, etc. Another issue is that most forms of gameplay are usually action-oriented, so most video game narratives (again, other than visual novel & adventure games) end up limiting their stories to 'action movie' territory.

2. Have you tried the sequel Virtue's Last Reward? I have't played much of it myself, but I've heard the choices & consequences are a big improvement over 999. While 999 had 6 endings, VLR has 35 endings, for example. It also has a flowchart mechanic where you jump between plot-lines (a bit like the visual novel YU-NO, or the role-playing game Radiant Historia).

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#98 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I don't think this comment applies to RPGs. Because most of them are centered around story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
@bbkkristian said:

I don't think this comment applies to RPGs. Because most of them are centered around story.

most bought RPG in the last god knows how many years? Diablo.

Most popular form of RPG - MMORPG.

I dunno... I dont think its as one sided as you think.