Playstation 5/Xbox 4: do we already have a PC as powerful?

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

Judging by the current Nintendo virus that has infected both Sony and MS with their weak ass boxes is t safe to say that we already have PC parts that will be in PS5/Xb4?

Like if their GPU is 5-6 times more powerful it will be like a R9 295x2?

Or you doubt that it will be so weak and crappy?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@True_Gamer_ said:

Judging by the current Nintendo virus that has infected both Sony and MS with their weak ass boxes

"Nintendo virus" what virus would that be? The virus of spectacular first party support?

___

And to respond to your other part, it is impossible to say where GPU power will be in however many years. Especially with Nvidia introducing their 20nm cards Pascal cards in 2016.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

2014 PC is still more powerful than next gen Playstation 5 and Xbox 4(about 2020?)

PC gaming already has 8k gaming, meanwhile PS5 and Xbox 4 won´t even have 4K gaming 2020.

So yeah. 2014 PC gaming >>> 2020 console gaming.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

Judging by the current Nintendo virus that has infected both Sony and MS with their weak ass boxes

"Nintendo virus" what virus would that be? The virus of spectacular first party support?

It better be because it's the only support they're getting.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@True_Gamer_:

What did you expect from a $399.99 console a Titan level gpu? Be happy that the PS4 came with 8GB's of GDDR5. That stuff is expensive.

The PS4 is as powerful a console could be at $399.99 in 2013 without Sony losing money on each console. I feel the PS4 offers a lot of value at $399.99, and judging by the 9 million PS4's sold worldwide it looks like a lot of people agree with me.

I mean you still can't build a $399.99 gaming rig that blows away the PS4 in terms of raw power.

The PS5 will be around 9-10x more powerful than the PS4. So, expect an 16-18 teraflop GPU.

In regards to Xbox 4, I actually don't think there will be an Xbox 4 if the XB1 ends up third this generation.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R3FURBISHED

@True_Gamer_ said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

The virus of weak machines that cost less than the price of sale. The 360 used to rape all 2005 PCs while costing 700$ to make...And now $500 PCs own the Xbone....

Do you really think a company today would seek to sell a console at a loss? I can't see Sony or Microsoft selling a $600 console or building a $600 console -- especially with how well the $400 PS4 is being received.

Even a GPU that costs $50 more would change the entire price point of the console.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

i think consoles learned their lesson last gen with high price points. the focus for a console is not to have the best hardware.... they know as long as it's better than before people won't care, especially if it's actually affordable. the majority of console gamers don't even know what they are missing anyway and the ones who do don't care or can't afford to care.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 emgesp

@True_Gamer_ said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

The virus of weak machines that cost less than the price of sale. The 360 used to rape all 2005 PCs while costing 700$ to make...And now $500 PCs own the Xbone....

Xbox 360 didn't cost $700 to make. It was about $500 for the 20GB model.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 emgesp

@FreedomFreeLife:

Yeah, because the average PC gaming rig is loaded with dual GTX 780's. A very small minority of PC gamers are playing games in 4K. It isn't the standard. I highly doubt a $399.99 PC can play games at 4K with acceptable framerates.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R3FURBISHED

@emgesp said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Indeed - $470 from the number I saw. And that was for a console that marketed at $400.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

@emgesp said:

@FreedomFreeLife:

Yeah, because the average PC gaming rig is loaded with dual GTX 780's. A very small minority of PC gamers are playing games in 4K. It isn't the standard. I highly doubt a $399.99 PC can play games at 4K with acceptable framerates.

I don't think he's talking about the "average" PC.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

2014 PC is still more powerful than next gen Playstation 5 and Xbox 4(about 2020?)

PC gaming already has 8k gaming, meanwhile PS5 and Xbox 4 won´t even have 4K gaming 2020.

So yeah. 2014 PC gaming >>> 2020 console gaming.

dumb even by herm standards

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Can't say anything about the next-generation of console hardware. I mean, people were expecting this gen to arrive in late 2012 and PC gamers were betting that the console games will look worse than the likes of BF3 or Crysis. Look where we are now.

Take a gander at this: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453264

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

@emgesp said:

@FreedomFreeLife:

avarage PC gamer for 400 dollars for PC? PC gamer uses usually at least 1000 dollar PC. For example. Go to Neogaf and 95% PC gamers PC costs over 1000 dollars.

This is standard. People are already playing 8K.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By emgesp
@FreedomFreeLife said:

@emgesp said:

@FreedomFreeLife:

avarage PC gamer for 400 dollars for PC? PC gamer uses usually at least 1000 dollar PC. For example. Go to Neogaf and 95% PC gamers PC costs over 1000 dollars.

Most gaming rigs are not $1000+ dollars. The average is probably around $500-600 range. A minority of gamers don't make standards, the majority do and the majority of PC gamers aren't even maxing out games in 1080p and getting 60fps.

BTW, I'm not talking about people who only play candy crush. I mean people who buy gaming rigs to play core games.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@emgesp said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

Reality check:

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/12/28/xbox-360-costs-715-to-make/

Seriously do a test:

Compare a $500 PC of 2001 to the first Xbox

Now compare a $500 PC of 2005 to the 360

Then compare a $500 PC of 2013 to the Xbone

Something changed this gen?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 emgesp

@True_Gamer_ said:

@emgesp said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

Reality check:

Seriously do a test:

Reality check:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20051123214405.html

A PC in 2001 and 2005 drew a lot less wattage than a PC in 2013.

Even if Sony could afford a Titan level GPU the box would have to be about twice the size for adequate air-flow and ventilation. The reliability factor would also drop since more heat causes more issues. Designing a console is a balancing act on many levels. The PS4 is as good as it could be for the price.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Where'd who go?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Around 97% of pc's on the market are macs.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

DISCLAIMER: As of today, we do NOT have PC's as graphically capable as the PS5 would likely be.

Why? Well we simply don't have GPU's with as advanced feature set as what PS5 will have. Shader model, 6 or 7 is expected.

We may well have the raw power of a PS5 GPU with dual GPU's and SLI set ups, but there will be new rendering tech in silicon form in the PS5 GPU that GPU's today don't have. Just like hardware tessellation in DX11 GPU's don't exist in PS3/360.

eg. An 8800 GTX quad SLI set up has as much or more raw power as the PS4 GPU. But try running any DX11 features on that set up. Won't work because it's missing silicon.

CPU power? Well I imagine the $1000 i7's today are more powerful than the PS5 CPU by a large margin already. Consoles don't need such CPU power. Nor do PC gamers quite frankly. Remember, PC's are not just gaming machines.

My friend, this is the last generation of consoles, it will simply become a steam like service.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

And total lack of 3rd party and weak console.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

It'll probably be more like a GTX 780, which will be pretty midrange in 3-4 generations from now. If they really want next gen to feel next gen, they're going to have to go with current high end hardware like they did in the 7th generation.

GTX 480 performs better than a PS4, but the main problem might be the PS4's CPU bottlenecking a midrange GPU.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

it will be one of the entry level next-gen graphics guards

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

Consoles cannot compete with PC's as they have to be gimped down for the common peasant.

Days of the powerful expensive consoles are gone because the peasants cant afford them.

Lucky the xbox atleast has some great exclusives to make up its short comings. As far as the delaystation goes.....2016 might be a good year?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

DISCLAIMER: As of today, we do NOT have PC's as graphically capable as the PS5 would likely be.

Why? Well we simply don't have GPU's with as advanced feature set as what PS5 will have. Shader model, 6 or 7 is expected.

We may well have the raw power of a PS5 GPU with dual GPU's and SLI set ups, but there will be new rendering tech in silicon form in the PS5 GPU that GPU's today don't have. Just like hardware tessellation in DX11 GPU's don't exist in PS3/360.

eg. An 8800 GTX quad SLI set up has as much or more raw power as the PS4 GPU. But try running any DX11 features on that set up. Won't work because it's missing silicon.

CPU power? Well I imagine the $1000 i7's today are more powerful than the PS5 CPU by a large margin already. Consoles don't need such CPU power. Nor do PC gamers quite frankly. Remember, PC's are not just gaming machines.

How do you know that the PS5 won't just be a incremental update to whats in the PS4?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

I doubt it, not this early into the gen, although i had a pc stronger than current consoles 2-3 years ago.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Probably especially now with the 800 series coming.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

By the time the next gen consoles come out there will be new or much better architectures. New manufacturing process that allows the creation of more powerful chips while cheaper. The Cloud Computing might become something useful for games. Better Game Engines. etc.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By clyde46

@scottpsfan14 said:
@clyde46 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

How do you know that the PS5 won't just be a incremental update to whats in the PS4?

Assuming the PS5 is a set of hardware and not a streaming device, if they release yet another DX11/shadermodel 5 GPU in a next gen console, it would be the first time in history. If it's released 5 or more years from now of course (which is most likely). Why? Do you expect PS5 to be a mere little upgrade? Do you even understand why new consoles are released in the first place? Apart from money? It's because they want to enhance graphics and experiences across the gaming industry. So PS4 being a lot more powerful than PS3 means developers can work to a new lowest common denominator. See Batman AK, or AC Unity compared to their last gen counterparts for reference. PS5 will do the same if streaming doesn't take over.

Fact is, you were just looking for someone to debunk on your daily SW hunt. Are you bored clyde? What else do you seriously have to add?

You find me out, yes I am bored and I'm putting off tidying my room. My assumption is that now that consoles are using PC hardware I see no incentive to cram the latest tech in there. All I forsee at the current moment in time is a better CPU/GPU and more RAM. Given that most people at the start of this gen are eating up these "HD remakes", we've seen less new games. I'm hoping that as this gen kicks off we will start to see these HD remakes die off.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

Wouldn't they call the next Xbox, Xbox Two?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@MuD3 said:

i think consoles learned their lesson last gen with high price points. the focus for a console is not to have the best hardware.... they know as long as it's better than before people won't care, especially if it's actually affordable. the majority of console gamers don't even know what they are missing anyway and the ones who do don't care or can't afford to care.

yeah that makes sense. And then the fact that Triple A budgets are getting higher and higher and there are things like "artists" costs that never go down, so budgets will only keep going higher and higher the farther that graphics are pushed. More detail needs more people/time no matter the technology that is used.

have fun with your football manager, nude mods and crappy f2p scams though.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 clyde46

@Gue1 said:

@MuD3 said:

yeah that makes sense. And then the fact that Triple A budgets keep going higher and higher and there are things like "artists" costs that never go down, so budgets will only get higher and higher the farther that graphics are pushed.

Which means either game prices go up or we get more content cut to sell back as DLC.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Who is "we"? the 90-95% on steam with crappy PC or the rest few % with latest hardware?

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#43  Edited By Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

@True_Gamer_ said:

Judging by the current Nintendo virus that has infected both Sony and MS with their weak ass boxes is t safe to say that we already have PC parts that will be in PS5/Xb4?

Like if their GPU is 5-6 times more powerful it will be like a R9 295x2?

Or you doubt that it will be so weak and crappy?

Well, I guess we can put a bunch of stuff on those consoles and sell them for $600 then have people not buy the consoles like what happened to the PS3 and blu-ray.

@scottpsfan14: please stop making up stuff that would be on the "PS5" if that even came out. What do you know about console making that makes you so sure it would even have that stuff to begin with?

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#45 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

A decade ago, the ceiling of consumer computing power was very limited. It was possible to build something exceptionally powerful back then, but you'd usually have to start digging into server-grade hardware.

Nowadays? You can build something very powerful from consumer components. Further, as long as you are willing to spend, you can create an absolute monster from simply acquiring more of those same consumer components in greater than sane quantities.

granddogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 granddogg
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts

why do people always say you cant match a ps4 price on pc why would somebody want to if you want a cheap gaming pc get a ps4/xbone..

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

While I pretty much agree with your post, I'm not sure that 8800gtx in quad sli has more raw power than the ps4 gpu.

@emgesp said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

@emgesp said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

Reality check:

Seriously do a test:

Reality check:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20051123214405.html

A PC in 2001 and 2005 drew a lot less wattage than a PC in 2013.

Even if Sony could afford a Titan level GPU the box would have to be about twice the size for adequate air-flow and ventilation. The reliability factor would also drop since more heat causes more issues. Designing a console is a balancing act on many levels. The PS4 is as good as it could be for the price.

The never ending trend of ever increasing wattage must soon come to a halt. All that heat has to be lead away and regardless of method it ends up in the surrounding air and can easily warm up a smaller room. The next gen consoles (if there will be another gen that is) will probably stay under 200 watts like most consoles do and it is the game consoles biggest limiting factor compared to pcs.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@emgesp said:

@FreedomFreeLife:

They don't really represent the actual average gamer.

@uninspiredcup said:

Around 97% of pc's on the market are macs.

Nope.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I buy consoles for exclusives, so I dont care what they have in hardware. Consoles will continue to have better graphics than the gen before and by golly that's ok with me.