Playstation 5/Xbox 4: do we already have a PC as powerful?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

The reason behind Sony and MS not spending more on the consoles and selling them for less is a waste. Look at last generation MS spent billions on research and the prototype hardware used in the 360 and while designing it they skimped out on cooling and quality of material to save costs. guess where that lead too nearly 4 years of high failure rates a threat of their product removed from market if they didnt include a warranty after 1st year. MS lost billions in those first few years and didnt start making profit on the 360 until 5 years after release. Sony while they didnt have hardware failures to drove to no profit it was the serious amount of expensive hardware inside like the bluray. Sony built factories for the Cell thinking it was going to be their all in one cpu for all things but it didnt turn out they way.

They learned their lesson of diminishing returns.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#53  Edited By leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@True_Gamer_ said:

Judging by the current Nintendo virus that has infected both Sony and MS with their weak ass boxes is t safe to say that we already have PC parts that will be in PS5/Xb4?

Like if their GPU is 5-6 times more powerful it will be like a R9 295x2?

Or you doubt that it will be so weak and crappy?

with 2 crossfired R9-295X2 you already have 2x PS5

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#54  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Luckily for Sony and Microsoft they are run by intelligent people who know they won't be successful with a $600 console with no profit just to appeal some really rabid fanboys on the internet who wouldn't buy their products in the first place.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 leandrro

@scottpsfan14 said:
@leandrro said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

Judging by the current Nintendo virus that has infected both Sony and MS with their weak ass boxes is t safe to say that we already have PC parts that will be in PS5/Xb4?

Utterly wrong. Maybe in raw GPU power you will have a PS5, but not in graphics on screen. PS5 will be using modern graphics hardware of it's day that doesn't exist today.

Loading Video...

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@leandrro said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@leandrro said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

Utterly wrong. Maybe in raw GPU power you will have a PS5, but not in graphics on screen. PS5 will be using modern graphics hardware of it's day that doesn't exist today.

Loading Video...

A game built around 2005 console hardware being played on a gpu from 2008? Your point?

Will crossfired r490's playing the next crossgen Ass Creed be at all impressive?

So funny they deleted the decimating thread.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 leandrro

@scottpsfan14 said:
@leandrro said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@leandrro said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

Loading Video...

What is that meant to prove? AC4 is a cross gen game made first and formost for PS3/360. And the 4870 is a DX10.1 GPU. Meaning it is Shadermodel 4. PS4 is Shadermodel 5. So if the PC version of this game has any DX11 effects, that GPU set up can't use them. Because it lacks the hardware to do so.

Assassins Creed Unity is a good example of a DX11 GPU at full work. No last gen restraints. Won't run on DX9/10. Made from the ground up for modern hardware. That's why it looks miles better than AC1-4 made for last gen.

The same will happen for PS5. There will be GPU's with shadermodel 7 or whatever and have graphics tech that doesn't exist today. Kind of like DX11 tessellation was something that was developed in between the life cycle of the PS3 and PS4 release. There will be graphics tech that develops inbetween PS4 and PS5.

yes it will lose something, and buying a overprice card like that is the stupdist thing to do

but its pretty impressive with bf3

Loading Video...

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Cranler

@gamer2444 said:

Not even close....if the ps4 will come in 2021, it's mean that a high end pc from 2018 will match it.

Yet in 2018 pc gamers will be waiting for PS 5 to get the most out of their pc's.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I don't think so.

Let's just hope the next consoles get more than one good game a year though....

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Cranler

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Cranler said:

@gamer2444 said:

Not even close....if the ps4 will come in 2021, it's mean that a high end pc from 2018 will match it.

Yet in 2018 pc gamers will be waiting for PS 5 to get the most out of their pc's.

Yep. Pretty much.

Someone actually agreed with me. I guess this thread won't need to be deleted.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

this forum is flooded with PC people. they really should just post in the PC forum

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

this forum is flooded with PC people. they really should just post in the PC forum

why?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 lostrib

@Cranler said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Cranler said:

@gamer2444 said:

Yep. Pretty much.

wow, did you cause a thread to be deleted?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@leandrro said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@leandrro said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

Loading Video...

What is that meant to prove? AC4 is a cross gen game made first and formost for PS3/360. And the 4870 is a DX10.1 GPU. Meaning it is Shadermodel 4. PS4 is Shadermodel 5. So if the PC version of this game has any DX11 effects, that GPU set up can't use them. Because it lacks the hardware to do so.

Assassins Creed Unity is a good example of a DX11 GPU at full work. No last gen restraints. Won't run on DX9/10. Made from the ground up for modern hardware. That's why it looks miles better than AC1-4 made for last gen.

The same will happen for PS5. There will be GPU's with shadermodel 7 or whatever and have graphics tech that doesn't exist today. Kind of like DX11 tessellation was something that was developed in between the life cycle of the PS3 and PS4 release. There will be graphics tech that develops inbetween PS4 and PS5.

I just find it amusing that he posted a camshot of a video game on PC.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 lostrib

@clyde46 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Sometimes I get the feeling that leandrro doesn't know how to PC

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 clyde46

@lostrib said:

@clyde46 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Sometimes I get the feeling that leandrro doesn't know how to PC

His other thread is clear evidence of this.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 clyde46

@scottpsfan14: Just have a look at his other thread. Its a riot.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Cranler

@lostrib said:

@Cranler said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Cranler said:

@gamer2444 said:

Yep. Pretty much.

Do you have another theory for why the pc decimation thread got deleted?

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

@scottpsfan14: I agree. Actually, PS5 doesn't need exclusive graphics APIs to be better than the likes of R9 295X2. Last-gen is a clear example of this, PS360 were getting games even though they were stuck with DX9. Yet even DX10 cards can't even start Crysis 3.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lostrib

@Cranler said:

@lostrib said:

@Cranler said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Cranler said:

@gamer2444 said:

Yep. Pretty much.

Do you have another theory for why the pc decimation thread got deleted?

can't read it, but it would usually mean someone went over the top offensive

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#77 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Nintendo Virus? Sony and MS are straying so far from what Nintendo wants to do it's not even funny. The 2 big consoles are just glorified PCs for gullible/lazy people. The WiiU actually has an identity.

But yeah, CONSIDERING what Sony and Ms want to do, which is create more downgraded PC games (all multiplats) for glorified PCs, they are doing a terrible job. You gotta get actually good hardware if you want to market your shit as powerful.... All a bunch of lies lol.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 faizan_faizan

@scottpsfan14 said:
@faizan_faizan said:

@scottpsfan14: I agree. Actually, PS5 doesn't need exclusive graphics APIs to be better than the likes of R9 295X2. Last-gen is a clear example of this, PS360 were getting games even though they were stuck with DX9. Yet even DX10 cards can't even start Crysis 3.

I'm talking more about the actual hardware of the card being DX11 class. Not the API. PS4 GPU is Shadermodel 5 class hardware. Which didn't exist when PS3 was released. Shadermodel 5 came about in 2010.

So basically, a Quad SLI Titan Black might have more raw power than a PS5, but the GPU feature set will be no where near as advanced and will be missing lots of future rendering abilities.

You're agreeing with me but also being oblivious to it.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

If it's a 4-5 year gen then very likely the enthusiast grade GPUs might be the low end GPUs in the next gen consoles. If it's a 8 year gen, then I really don't know.

I have to say though, I think the new technologies coming from Nvidia and AMD within the next couple of years are going to be really exciting, coupled with a new standard with the DX12 api, I'm looking forward to what the PC does. I think it'll be at this point the gap starts to widen across the low to mid range on the PC away from what the consoles are capable of now.

Some of these technologies will trickle down into mobile devices like touch pads or whatever which will then start to catch up with current gen consoles in three or so years possibly.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

pc gaming is niche market, also they beg A LOT

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#81 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Yeah we probably do. The directX improvements, going by the past, will be negligible. Games will still be DirectX 11 based at the most, because you won't want to miss out on the rapidly expanding PC market.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Smells like elitism in here. Disgusting!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

depends on alot of Things.

If they figure out how to make componants require less power for performance, and expell less heat, then no.

Consoles are mostly held back on those two. Ofcourse there is going to be some new and updated API, but nothing in the World would say that they would need Unique hardware either (shaders and such).

5 years is a long time in the World of technology, heck as some people already mentioned, there might not be a NeXT gen of consoles at all, but rather a service built into tv/phone/whatnot.

But in all likelyhood then no PCs of today would not equal the PS5 or Xbox(2?). Since it would dictate that the evolution of hardware would simply stop.

I do doubt however that we will ever see consoles like the PS3 or 360 Again, so the NeXT gen of COnsoles, will likely allready have PCs that surpass them on release.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts
@faizan_faizan said:

There are some pc games that have moved away from using the directx 10 api but their console counter parts are scaled down or sometimes even dumbed down to run on the ps360. It's not because ps3 and 360 are more capable, they are easily outperformed even by the first gen of dx10 cards. Developers do whatever they have do to make their games available on consoles because there is often more money to be made on greater sales.
And crysis 3 can run on dx10 hardware, there is a workaround.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 lostrib

@ladyblue said:

Stop trying to smell the internet, nothing good can come from that

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 leandrro
@scottpsfan14 said:
@faizan_faizan said:

I'm talking more about the actual hardware of the card being DX11 class. Not the API. PS4 GPU is Shadermodel 5 class hardware. Which didn't exist when PS3 was released. Shadermodel 5 came about in 2010.

So basically, a Quad SLI Titan Black might have more raw power than a PS5, but the GPU feature set will be no where near as advanced and will be missing lots of future rendering abilities.

can you see the difference from dx10 to dx11 just by looking at Battlefield 3 running on the HD4870X2 ?

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 leandrro

@scottpsfan14 said:
@clyde46 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@leandrro said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@leandrro said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

Loading Video...

What can one expect from a true clown. He is one of those clueless people so what the hell.

the video proves that a monster dual chip GPU from 5 years before next gen release has about the same power as a next gen console (or 50% more than X1) but the real clueless people cant get it

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@lostrib said:

@ladyblue said:

Stop trying to smell the internet, nothing good can come from that

smell the glove

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

The reason behind Sony and MS not spending more on the consoles and selling them for less is a waste. Look at last generation MS spent billions on research and the prototype hardware used in the 360 and while designing it they skimped out on cooling and quality of material to save costs. guess where that lead too nearly 4 years of high failure rates a threat of their product removed from market if they didnt include a warranty after 1st year. MS lost billions in those first few years and didnt start making profit on the 360 until 5 years after release. Sony while they didnt have hardware failures to drove to no profit it was the serious amount of expensive hardware inside like the bluray. Sony built factories for the Cell thinking it was going to be their all in one cpu for all things but it didnt turn out they way.

They learned their lesson of diminishing returns.

Failure rates were more to do with MSs inexperience with custom hardware and rushing the device to market than anything else. The original Xbox was made with off the shelf parts with minor customisations.

Sony's curse was their own complicated designs, but that has nothing to do with pushing hardware. I maintain with a simpler CPU Sony would have out-right won the gen because developers and consumers would never have jumped ship. Games would have had MUCH smoother development.

This in my opinion is the one gen they needed to push the hardware, because the difference from last gen is blurred. When we got the Xbox 360 and PS3, the Xbox and PS2 graphics looked shitty in comparison, yet right now, those same 8-9 year old consoles are highly playable next to the current gen. That is a shocking statement to make.

This is why I think streaming is the future for consoles, because MS and Sony can't afford to give us consoles that compare with mid range PCs in a £350 budget. If they offer a streaming service though, we possibly can enjoy high end level of technology all the time.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#90  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

PC gaming already has 8k gaming

At 13 to 18 FPS. Not to mention how nasty overpriced the rig is going to be to get remotely anything playing at 8K.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#91 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@tonitorsi said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

At 13 to 18 FPS. Not to mention how nasty overpriced the rig is going to be to get remotely anything playing at 8K.

And consoles can barely play 1080p at 30 fps... your point?

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By tonitorsi

@bldgirsh said:

@tonitorsi said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

If you're going to brag, brag about consistent shit mayne.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#93 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@tonitorsi said:

@bldgirsh said:

@tonitorsi said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Loading Video...

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By tonitorsi

@bldgirsh said:

@tonitorsi said:

@bldgirsh said:

@tonitorsi said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Loading Video...

Nicca dat sung wac harrible.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Definitely not. Over the course of this gen people will see how the hardware simply wasn't up to the typical generational jump. People won't be duped, especially since more and more people will be knowledgeable about the hardware they are buying.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

By the time they release another console, GPU tech will have advanced to a degree where even a mid-range $150 GPU will significantly outperform something like a 780, so no...has nothing to do with consoles or whatever, and everything to do with GPU advancements. Let's not forget that Sony/Microsoft simply repackage existing GPU tech into their consoles.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 faizan_faizan

@cfisher2833 said:

Let's not forget that Sony/Microsoft simply repackage existing GPU tech into their consoles.

This wasn't the case with last-gen.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

I doubt it. It's too early for that, probably in the next 3 years or so we will.