PlayStation 4 gives up to 5.5GB of RAM to game developers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

[QUOTE="Douevenlift_bro"]

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

Been saying from 2005/2006 till now; Verne Verne cow just won't learn. :P

SecretPolice

Don't think he gets it ^

DC, Yeah, I get it. :P

You're DC'ing the X1 weak memory? Ah I get it now. :cool:

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

Not really 4.5 it looks like oh yeahhhhhhhh0

clyde46

5.5GB right there in the thread title.

Actually, 4.5GB with a flexible 1GB.

Yep :lol: and we know how good Sony is with reducing o/s footprints lol

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

at least I can understand why the Xbox os would need 3 gbs for all the extra stuff it does but I didnt see a reason that would make the playstaion os to use 2.5 to 3.5

TheRealBigRich
It might be reserve, there possibility that if they don't gonna use all this RAM for system at the end of gen they might increase the RAM for the game, the same thing is with Xbox One
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

Lol. I was thinking the same.

ShadowriverUB
wondering if their including the share feature too with the OS allocation , how about that 7gb usable now el tormentos

Might be :p but i dont think it will take too much, there way to avoid RAM usage here by writing what is recorded in to hard drive for time to time

they have to buffer the raw data somewhere they want the player to be able to play while recording and or stream which means very low impact on hdd usage. They will trickle down the data to the hdd to store.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
So I guess the whole "8GB!" boasting is gone?
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
Did the cows really thought you´re gonna get 8GB for games?lol However,this is far worse than I expected.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I knew that 1GB that tormento kept throwing around was complete bullshit.

So the OS does a lot less than the XOne OS, yet potentially has a bigger footprint LMAO

Shouldn't be surprised though considering the barebones PS3 OS had a substantially bigger footprint than the 360s

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#58 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

However, sources close to Sony suggest that the PS4 approach is perhaps more flexible - the current allocation in terms of both CPU cores and memory could be reduced once the operating system is complete and then streamlined. In short, while there is no guarantee of change in the future, Sony is at least leaving the door open to the opportunity and the R&D team has experience in reducing the OS footprint - just as it did on PlayStation 3.

Poor Xbone

Douevenlift_bro
Leave it to your dumbass to spin this as positive.
LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts

What a waste. 1-2 gigs I can see, but not 3+ gigs. 

Both Sony and Microsoft are wasting their precious system resources on massive OSs.

Even Windows doesn't take more than 1.5 gigs in the worst case senario. It's usually lower than that.

Wasdie
Article says the OS on both systems is unfinished, so it's possible that if they finally "finish" or streamline them then more RAM opens up for both systems, but who knows how long that could be. It seems both are just saving RAM Space for future additions rather than giving it away only to then want to take it back for OS additions.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Hmm. Well before Feb it was thought 4 gigs of GDDR5 would be it so I'm not complaining. Both companies should be able to reduce OS footprints.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#62 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I knew that 1GB that tormento kept throwing around was complete bullshit.

So the OS does a lot less than the XOne OS, yet potentially has a bigger footprint LMAO

Shouldn't be surprised though considering the barebones PS3 OS had a substantially bigger footprint than the 360s

RR360DD

Actually the OS does roughly the same when it comes to multitasking, app support, streaming, recording, and all of the social features. It just lacks the voice recognition and the HDMI throughput streaming. 

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="ramonnl"]

Still more than the xbox-one!

LordOfPoms

Not only more, but a considerably more powerful RAM and it appears DF is saying Sony can scale back the OS Ram usage as needed. 3.5 is still a lot for an OS, but I guess that's what you get when you have streaming services in the background, etc.

You got other services running besides the streaming services e.g. media center, store, Skype clone and social network.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Hmm. Well before Feb it was thought 4 gigs of GDDR5 would be it so I'm not complaining. Both companies should be able to reduce OS footprints.Floppy_Jim
Oh man. Imagine if it still had 4GB. 512 left for games. :lol:
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

So barely any more than Xbox One? That's dissapointing.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 timbers_WSU

Starting to think both the PS3 and XBONE are gonna look slightly different inside the box when they launch. There are way to many upgrade and downgrade rumors going on. Microsoft asking Devs if 4 more gigs would help? Microsoft tweeking the GPU. Sony downgrading. I don't know what to believe anymore. I really don't care. 4 gigs for games from either system is enough.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Both Sony and Microsoft are wasting their precious system resources on massive OSs.

Even Windows doesn't take more than 1.5 gigs in the worst case senario. It's usually lower than that.

LordOfPoms

Article says the OS on both systems is unfinished, so it's possible that if they finally "finish" or streamline them then more RAM opens up for both systems, but who knows how long that could be. It seems both are just saving RAM Space for future additions rather than giving it away only to then want to take it back for OS additions.

I'm sure through updates they could their OS footprint to give a bit more to future games, but it's still not a good position to start off in. 

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

Dang, you beat me to it. Interesting tech article.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

However, sources close to Sony suggest that the PS4 approach is perhaps more flexible - the current allocation in terms of both CPU cores and memory could be reduced once the operating system is complete and then streamlined. In short, while there is no guarantee of change in the future, Sony is at least leaving the door open to the opportunity and the R&D team has experience in reducing the OS footprint - just as it did on PlayStation 3.

Poor Xbone

XBOunity

Poor DC and poor you

In all honesty, if you consider this ownage, then I consider you and your fanbase demoralized beyond the realms of logic.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Douevenlift_bro"]5.5GB right there in the thread title.

XBOunity

Actually, 4.5GB with a flexible 1GB.

Yep :lol: and we know how good Sony is with reducing o/s footprints lol

Sony did do a lot to PS3's OS to compress it down.
jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Wasdie

The memory consumption depends also on progaramming language they used, and desing patterns. All modern desing patterns offer better scalabilty and maintenance for software, but also consumes shit load of memory as a trade-off. But this is OK nowadays. The memory is cheap now, and it´s about time we move from C++ and asambler programming styles.  

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

you would have to be a special kind of idiot to think Sony or MS would use all of the 8gig for gaming...

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

[QUOTE="LordOfPoms"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

I'm sure through updates they could their OS footprint to give a bit more to future games, but it's still not a good position to start off in. 

Yeah, they'll be able to whittle it down a little, but they aren't going to want to remove features that people already got used to (and will probably even want to add new features) so there is only so much that can be done to lower that footprint.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 04dcarraher

Wasdie

With all the features their craming into these consoles along with needing a snappy UI I figured 2-3gb for usage for OS and features

I bet the share feature is being included with this OS allocation. With all my background apps im sitting at 2.34 gb allocated.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#75 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]Hmm. Well before Feb it was thought 4 gigs of GDDR5 would be it so I'm not complaining. Both companies should be able to reduce OS footprints.tagyhag

That's what I was thinking :lol:

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

jhonMalcovich

The memory consumption depends also on progaramming language they used, and desing patterns. All modern desing patterns offer better scalabilty and maintenance for software, but also consumes shit load of memory as a trade-off. But this is OK nowadays. The memory is cheap now, and it´s about time we move from C++ and asambler programming styles.  

Why would you want to move away from C++ for these kind of low-level operations? Going to a higher level imperative and object oriented programming language would just introduce unnecessary overhead on a limited CPU. This isn't a PC, you cannot just increase your CPU power in a year or two.

I can't see operating systems moving away from C/C++ for decades. 

I'm sure the OS has a high level compiler for apps, but the OS itself will be running lower level code for efficiency. 

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="tagyhag"][QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]Hmm. Well before Feb it was thought 4 gigs of GDDR5 would be it so I'm not complaining. Both companies should be able to reduce OS footprints.Floppy_Jim

PS3 all over again with new OS and UI :shock:
ramonnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ramonnl
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

[QUOTE="tagyhag"][QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]Hmm. Well before Feb it was thought 4 gigs of GDDR5 would be it so I'm not complaining. Both companies should be able to reduce OS footprints.Floppy_Jim

So than killzone:sf used 512? because they were working on the 4 gb limit!

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Wasdie  Moderator

With all the features their craming into these consoles along with needing a snappy UI I figured 2-3gb for usage for OS and features

I bet the share feature is being included with this OS allocation. With all my background apps im sitting at 2.34 gb allocated.

04dcarraher

The sharing/streaming/recording functionality has to be where the majority of this RAM is being allocated. I got my windows 7 machine down to like 2 gigs of RAM (out of 16, windows automatically scales if you throw more ram at it and I turned off page file memory) while doing basic computing (IRC, skype, steam, web browser, various logitech software for gaming peripherals, nvidia drivers, etc.), and when I stream it adds another 1-2 gigs of memory required along side of the video game running.

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LordOfPoms

[QUOTE="LordOfPoms"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

No, it's not. The spin could be either they made it larger than necessary to be safe, or they really are this bloated. I'm inclined to believe they're bloated though.
Miketheman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Miketheman83
Member since 2010 • 3156 Posts
Cows just got owned so hard.
ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="ShadowriverUB"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] wondering if their including the share feature too with the OS allocation , how about that 7gb usable now el tormentos

Might be :p but i dont think it will take too much, there way to avoid RAM usage here by writing what is recorded in to hard drive for time to time

they have to buffer the raw data somewhere they want the player to be able to play while recording and or stream which means very low impact on hdd usage. They will trickle down the data to the hdd to store.

Hmmm i just made experiment and you right buffor takes some space :> but compressed data should be stored hard drive, ofcorse with streaming it can all be imidietly send to server
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

Wasdie

The sharing/streaming/recording functionality has to be where the majority of this RAM is being allocated. I got my windows 7 machine down to like 2 gigs of RAM (out of 16, windows automatically scales if you throw more ram at it and I turned off page file memory), and when I stream you can add another 1-2 gigs of memory required along side of the video game running.

I wonder if I should shut off the paging file I do hsve 12gb of memory however there are a few programs and games that want a paging file.
Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts
Cows just got owned so hard.Miketheman83
For having more memory available for games than the XBone?
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 clyde46

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

Wasdie

The sharing/streaming/recording functionality has to be where the majority of this RAM is being allocated. I got my windows 7 machine down to like 2 gigs of RAM (out of 16, windows automatically scales if you throw more ram at it and I turned off page file memory) while doing basic computing (IRC, skype, steam, web browser, various logitech software for gaming peripherals, nvidia drivers, etc.), and when I stream it adds another 1-2 gigs of memory required along side of the video game running.

I'm sitting at 3.05GB.
ManatuBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 ManatuBeard
Member since 2012 • 1121 Posts

The gameplay recording must be done directly to RAM then. Since they can reduce the OS footprint in the future, 4.5-5.5 is more than enough for the first 2 or 3 cycles of games.
But they better free more RAM later in the gen, or many people will be PISSED OFF with a 3.5gb OS reserve!

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

Didn't JBlow say the same thing a couple months ago?

Anyways cows...

U JELLY? :P

Miketheman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Miketheman83
Member since 2010 • 3156 Posts
[QUOTE="Miketheman83"]Cows just got owned so hard.Shewgenja

Xbox OS only uses 3gb bro.
LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 LordOfPoms
[QUOTE="Miketheman83"]Cows just got owned so hard.Shewgenja

Yeah, I'm not sure where the ownage is in this for anyone. Hah! You have considerably RAM and more powerful RAM than me, but because it's not 7GB that makes my system better? If anything, it's a warning sign since the article says both systems have bloated OS and that's not something anyone wants.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

04dcarraher

The sharing/streaming/recording functionality has to be where the majority of this RAM is being allocated. I got my windows 7 machine down to like 2 gigs of RAM (out of 16, windows automatically scales if you throw more ram at it and I turned off page file memory), and when I stream you can add another 1-2 gigs of memory required along side of the video game running.

I wonder if I should shut off the paging file I do hsve 12gb of memory however there are a few programs and games that want a paging file.

Yeah you could get away with it. If you have over 8 you can usually get away with turning off your page file. 

I've run 2 games at once and all of my background apps without coming close to hitting my system memory. I'm actually bottlenecked with my 1.2 gigs of vRAM. Even when im doing video compression I can play games, run apps, and do some large multitasking without an issue. Having a lot of RAM is awesome.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"][QUOTE="Miketheman83"]Cows just got owned so hard.LordOfPoms

Yeah, I'm not sure where the ownage is in this for anyone. Hah! You have considerably RAM and more powerful RAM than me, but because it's not 7GB that makes my system better? If anything, it's a warning sign since the article says both systems have bloated OS and that's not something anyone wants.

"ownage" is for people who actually believe this entire forum matters.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

Poor Xbone

Shewgenja

Poor DC and poor you

In all honesty, if you consider this ownage, then I consider you and your fanbase demoralized beyond the realms of logic.

Ok quote 7 gigs for gaming again :lol:  I dont think this is ownage I think 5 gigs is good  enough, 4.5 :lol: too

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 clyde46

The gameplay recording must be done directly to RAM then. Since they can reduce the OS footprint in the future, 4.5-5.5 is more than enough for the first 2 or 3 cycles of games.
But they better free more RAM later in the gen, or many people will be PISSED OFF with a 3.5gb OS reserve!

ManatuBeard
If you have a dedicated encoding chip you don't need to dump it all in the RAM.
Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

This is a win for Microsoft because they allocated 3GB for their OS but at least we know they are giving us kick ass features for those resources. Now I personally don't care and would prefer more RAM for games but we don't get the choice. 

With Sony, now we know they are using 3.5GB for an OS that will be vastly inferior to what MS offers. But they can in a few years copy all of MS's features and that's what the 3.5GB of RAM is for. It enables Sony to copy all of the brilliant stuff that MS introduces with the Xbox One. 

I wish Sony would've just ignored MS and just used 1GB for their OS which would be good enough. Then they would have a system better suited for games. 

Checkmark Microsoft.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts
Moreso of just the 15 minute video recording streaming to the RAM, but obvious is obvious, Sony's OS is bloated and they are probably just playing it safe right now by maybe wanting to go toe to toe with XB1 in terms of apps and features and all other stuff(not games) Regardless, ps4 ram is faster then the ddr3 ram too aswell so
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Wasdie  Moderator

I'm sitting at 3.05GB. clyde46

I once booted up Windows 7 with 1 gig of ram and the system only took like half of it. I think Windows scales depending on how much total system RAM you have. The more you have, the more it takes. I never see it take over 20%.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

you would have to be a special kind of idiot to think Sony or MS would use all of the 8gig for gaming...

Zaibach
But isn't that exactly what the Cows have been saying. There are hundreds of posts on here from the likes of davekeeh and nathandrakeswag blasting the XBOX ONE for utilize so much of its RAM on the OS and yes, they were both touting the PS4 as using 8 GB for games only. But like you said...."Special Kind Of Idiot(s)". Sorry to say, but there will be more to come for the Sony fanbots. Did you really, truely believe that the PS4 was going to be this god-like machine of gaming perfection? Did you really think that there wouldn't be new information coming out telling the TRUTH about things that Jack Tretton so conveiniently skirtted around at E3?
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

4.5gb's of ram really sucks, Xbones now actually has a bit more

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 timbers_WSU

We all know why Sony's OS has to be 3.5 gigs. So they can try and copy everything Microsoft and Nintendo does.