Planetside 2 launches on PC, featuring up to 2000 players in each battle...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#401 icyseanfitz
Member since 2006 • 2493 Posts

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

how someone can play an hour or two and form any sort of valid opinion on a game as big as planetside 2 is beyond me

MBirdy88

What is big about this game exactly? other than its scale? its just like battlefield only it takes many more hours to do simple things. it takes, battlefield and makes it an even bigger time sink. I have no doubt its fun when you FINALLY organize that giant raid group. but just like EVE.... 90% tedioum, 1% big fun times.

its more like an mmo + battlefield tbh, you cant unlock anything worth unlocking in the first few hours of playing same as say guild wars, its a completely different game to the likes of cod and battlefield other than the fact that both have guns and vehicles

icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#402 icyseanfitz
Member since 2006 • 2493 Posts

First impression are important.

And PS2 does a very poor job of that

its definitely not a hand-holder game thats for sure, but you shouldn't jump into any massively multi-player game expecting to have all the cool stuff straight away , they just dont work like that

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#403 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
Man, Im really bad at this game. lol
BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#404 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

yea bigger is not better...

sure world of warcraft is an rpg with tons more players, but i much prefer single player rpg games... because more players /= better.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#405 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

how someone can play an hour or two and form any sort of valid opinion on a game as big as planetside 2 is beyond me

icyseanfitz

What is big about this game exactly? other than its scale? its just like battlefield only it takes many more hours to do simple things. it takes, battlefield and makes it an even bigger time sink. I have no doubt its fun when you FINALLY organize that giant raid group. but just like EVE.... 90% tedioum, 1% big fun times.

its more like an mmo + battlefield tbh, you cant unlock anything worth unlocking in the first few hours of playing same as say guild wars, its a completely different game to the likes of cod and battlefield other than the fact that both have guns and vehicles

So a slower progression, longer fights, and more tedius work make it a better shooter than say bf3? Its not a bad game but it's definitly a tedius shooter, you spend all the extra time in fluff or just boring segmants of the game, and once your finally hit a big fight it's like playing battlefield but the map is saturated with opponents. Mechanically it's just not as much fun as a game like bf3, and the slower progression makes it far more imbalanced. At least it's free :)
Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#406 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
any of you spent money on it yet?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#407 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

any of you spent money on it yet?GamingVengeance

Me.

Bought alpha squad and im a tier 1 premium member.

Mrcod11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408 Mrcod11
Member since 2003 • 3059 Posts

[QUOTE="GamingVengeance"]any of you spent money on it yet?Wasdie

Me.

Premium here as well.

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#409 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Tried it, and the best thing I've done was using the Uninstall.exe.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410 mems_1224

[QUOTE="GamingVengeance"]any of you spent money on it yet?Wasdie

Me.

I got Alpha Squad too. Thinking about the premmium membership but Im gonna wait on that for now.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

MBirdy88

Took me about 10sec to find action at most.

2012-11-24_00015.jpg

2012-11-24_00022.jpg

2012-11-24_00017.jpg

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

Game is growing on me, but the lag is horrible. Hard to do anything when everyone is warping all over the place.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413 Wasdie  Moderator

Game is growing on me, but the lag is horrible. Hard to do anything when everyone is warping all over the place.

FPSfan1985

That must be on your end. They've really done a good job of getting rid of that.

What server are you playing on?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414 mems_1224

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"]

Wasdie

That must be on your end. They've really done a good job of getting rid of that.

Nah, I've seen a lot of lag too since launch.
AktionJakson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#415 AktionJakson
Member since 2005 • 337 Posts

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

OB-47

It's a F2P shooter. It does the best thing it can, which is throw you into a battle and let you figure things out. First impression will vary depending on intelligence/comprehension level of whos playing. Seriously people, stop needing games to hold your hand and use your brain.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416 FPSfan1985

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"]

Wasdie

I'm on a 30MB down and 5mb up connection its not me at all. I play on Mattherson.
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417 FPSfan1985

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

AktionJakson

It's a F2P shooter. It does the best thing it can, which is throw you into a battle and let you figure things out. First impression will vary depending on intelligence/comprehension level of whos playing. Seriously people, stop needing games to hold your hand and use your brain.

How hard is it to have a pop up showing people how to deploy. Thats all that is really needed. Once I learned how and where to deploy the game became much more enjoyable.
AktionJakson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418 AktionJakson
Member since 2005 • 337 Posts

[QUOTE="AktionJakson"]

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

FPSfan1985

How hard is it to have a pop up showing people how to deploy. Thats all that is really needed. Once I learned how and where to deploy the game became much more enjoyable.

LOL, no way.. a tutorial is needed for deploying?!!? I figured people are getting frustrated over the actual gameplay, not the most basic feature!

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"]

FPSfan1985

I'm on a 30MB down and 5mb up connection its not me at all. I play on Mattherson.

Upload and download speeds have nothign to do with interruptions with your connection.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420 FPSfan1985

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="AktionJakson"]

AktionJakson

LOL, no way.. a tutorial is needed for deploying?!!? I figured people are getting frustrated over the actual gameplay, not the most basic feature!

Took me a good 3 hours of gameplay to figure out I could jump straight to the action and not drive there.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#421 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

Upload and download speeds have nothign to do with interruptions with your connection.

It's happening with a lot of people, regardless of server, connection speed and health. Read the forums.

From what I understand, Connery has it quite bad at certain times.

Mrcod11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422 Mrcod11
Member since 2003 • 3059 Posts

[QUOTE="AktionJakson"]

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] How hard is it to have a pop up showing people how to deploy. Thats all that is really needed. Once I learned how and where to deploy the game became much more enjoyable.FPSfan1985

Took me a good 3 hours of gameplay to figure out I could jump straight to the action and not drive there.

Seriously? It's as simple as opening up the map and clicking deploy. That took you 3 hours to figure out?

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423 FPSfan1985

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="AktionJakson"]

Mrcod11

Seriously? It's as simple as opening up the map and clicking deploy. That took you 3 hours to figure out?

No took me 3 hours to figure out where to deploy and when. Simply clicking the deploy button will 9 times out of 10 spawn you into hell.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
Having so much fun with this game. Played for about an hour with my sniper and got a nice 17 kill streak , then flew around with some people talking and taking over small bases. Then meet up with a huge squad of people with about 20 tanks and I can't even count the amount of ground troops
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425 FPSfan1985
Having so much fun with this game. Played for about an hour with my sniper and got a nice 17 kill streak , then flew around with some people talking and taking over small bases. Then meet up with a huge squad of people with about 20 tanks and I can't even count the amount of ground troopsultraking
Nothing like rolling up on a base well defended with like a 200 player zerg. You know you're going to be in for a good fight. If they can fix the lagginess and decrease the unlock time for weapons the game would be perfect.
homeboylizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426 homeboylizard
Member since 2010 • 1289 Posts

One of the best FPS games of this gen IMO!Yesterday made a convoy of around 25 tanks and 5 transports with a bunch of randoms. Needless to say...it was epic!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24001 Posts

Man, Im really bad at this game. lolmems_1224

So am I :(

Then again, I am really bad at FPS overall.

But hey, realizing that you are not the best can be a good thing. Makes you self critical and through that, you always seem to be better at spotting your own mistakes (and hopefully learn from them).

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24001 Posts

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

MBirdy88

The scale and how it incorporates strategy elements into the action elmenets is what makes this game big, and no it does not take hours to do simple things. Not too long ago, I logged on. Warped for some instant action and there I was, gunning down (and getting gunned down just a minute after I started the game.

And after an attempt to capture an outpost, I go for another base. Usually there are battles in between here that involve tanks, airplane and infantry.

Point is, there is always action when I play. And I am sure the same can be said for a lot of other people here.

Asfor the 90% tedium 1% big fun times bit. The same goes for those gear treadmill themepark instance grinders as well, dont they ;)

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

OB-47

and for some games it takes more then an hour to make a rational first impressions. I would never post my first impressions of WoW, Skyrim, and Boderlands 2 after only an hour of play.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#430 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Man I feel so overwhelmed.:P Just sticking with medic for now till I get the hang of some things at least, but otherwise it looks to be a very good game.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

By far and away the greatest game ever released, objectively speaking.

So many "holy &$%!" moments. For example last night I launched my .50 cal equipped 4wheeler off a mountain side and landed in the middle of a Sunderer (spawn vehicle) deployment, crushed 3 people and proceeded to spinout while firing the .50 for another 3 kills before I was detonated.

Sometime after that some friends and I were flying around in a Zephyr equipped liberator (tank buster) peppering a Biolab with 200+ people on the air craft landing area, the XP from kills was insanity and I can only imagine what was happening to the people on the landing area. It was hilarious and extremely cool.

What a game ... only problem is staying up til 3 AM every night playing it.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432 FPSfan1985

So many "holy &$%!" moments. For example last night I launched my .50 cal equipped 4wheeler off a mountain side and landed in the middle of a Sunderer (spawn vehicle) deployment, crushed 3 people and proceeded to spinout while firing the .50 for another 3 kills before I was detonated.

Sometime after that some friends and I were flying around in a Zephyr equipped liberator (tank buster) peppering a Biolab with 200+ people on the air craft landing area, the XP from kills was insanity and I can only imagine what was happening to the people on the landing area. It was hilarious and extremely cool.

haberman13
Still prefer Guild Wars. This game is far too grindy.
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

FPSfan1985

PS2 is grindy? In what sense?

The fun is in the battle, not the 'grind' for certs.

Basically you don't like FPS games, despite your name :)

GW2 is fun ... but by lvl 60 or so the luster is worn out and you realize you're just fighting AI mobs or participating in the zerg of WvWvW, which pales in comparison to the fun of PS2 combat.

I would argue that PS2 is the most fun you can have while gaming, assuming you are playing with an outfit or friends. And if you aren't it's still superior to every other shooter out there.

However, if you prefer WoW style MMOs, then sure, GW2 is 'better'. PS2 is the BF / CoD / Halo fans dream game. My dedicated MMO-friend won't play PS2 either... can't handle the aiming / interaction / level of focus required.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#434 FPSfan1985

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="haberman13"]

haberman13

GW2 is fun ... but by lvl 60 or so the luster is worn out and you realize you're just fighting AI mobs or participating in the zerg of WvWvW, which pales in comparison to the fun of PS2 combat.

I would argue that PS2 is the most fun you can have while gaming, assuming you are playing with an outfit or friends. And if you aren't it's still superior to every other shooter out there.

PS2 is far more grindy than GW2. GW2 they hand you a max toon with max gear and everyone is on an even playing field it all comes down to skill. It took me 2 hours just to get a damn scope on my gun in PS2, let alone better ammo, utility and armor upgrades ect. Would take me like a month to max out a character. I don't find that enjoyable at all. I hate games with senseless grind.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#435 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
Installing as we speak... Is gameplay similar to Tribes Ascend, in that most weapons aren't hitscan and surfing on terrain is important?
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Installing as we speak... Is gameplay similar to Tribes Ascend, in that most weapons aren't hitscan and surfing on terrain is important? princeofshapeir
This is better than Tribes.
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#437 FPSfan1985
Installing as we speak... Is gameplay similar to Tribes Ascend, in that most weapons aren't hitscan and surfing on terrain is important? princeofshapeir
Craps all over tribes.
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#438 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] Still prefer Guild Wars. This game is far too grindy.FPSfan1985

Far more than GW2. GW2 they hand you a max toon with max gear any everyone is on a even playing field it all comes down to skill. It took me 2 hours just to get a damn scope on my gun in PS2, let alone better ammo, utility and armor upgrades ect. Would take me like a month to max out a character. I don't find that enjoyable at all. I hate games with senseless grind.

Case in point: you're going for upgrades / gear rather than combat.

I would reverse the argument and say GW2 combat is dull and lacks interaction or a sense of connectedness. It's just spamming through skill rotations like WoW basically, but even more easy and limited than WoW. In PS2 you can immerse in a realized world where physics and your prowess in the environment are key factors.

Basically PS2 is a player skill based game rather than a spreadsheet style EVE/WoW gear competition. (though GW2 definitely improves from those games)

(not trying to slight GW2 as a game, it's definitely awesome, I just prefer the connectedness of PS2's combat)

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439 haberman13

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]Installing as we speak... Is gameplay similar to Tribes Ascend, in that most weapons aren't hitscan and surfing on terrain is important? clyde46
This is better than Tribes.

Even putting them in the same sentence is an insult to PS2.

PS2 == gaming miracle (for an FPS fan especially)

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#440 FPSfan1985

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="haberman13"]

haberman13

Far more than GW2. GW2 they hand you a max toon with max gear any everyone is on a even playing field it all comes down to skill. It took me 2 hours just to get a damn scope on my gun in PS2, let alone better ammo, utility and armor upgrades ect. Would take me like a month to max out a character. I don't find that enjoyable at all. I hate games with senseless grind.

Case in point: you're going for upgrades / gear rather than combat.

I would reverse the argument and say GW2 combat is dull and lacks interaction or a sense of connectedness. It's just spamming through skill rotations like WoW basically, but even more easy and limited than WoW. In PS2 you can immerse in a realized world where physics and your prowess in the environment are key factors.

Basically PS2 is a player skill based game rather than a spreadsheet style EVE/WoW gear competition. (though GW2 definitely improves from those games)

(not trying to slight GW2 as a game, it's definitely awesome, I just prefer the connectedness of PS2's combat)

Saying GW2 is just spamming through a rotation is a gross oversimplification. Thats like saying PS2 is nothing but point and click. I agree PS2 is a very fun game, I simply don't like how the progression system works. And of course I'm playing for upgrades, everyone is. If you say you aren't you're lying to yourself. Or else you would never upgrade a damn thing.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#441 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I still haven't gotten into the game yet (maybe next weekend), but I do notice something: For a planet that is supposedly inhabited by people, it seems odd that there are no major cities, just an endless expanse of military installations.

It would be awesome if the game actually featured urban areas. This is not a criticism of the game, just something I noticed.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442 clyde46

I still haven't gotten into the game yet (maybe next weekend), but I do notice something: For a planet that is supposedly inhabited by people, it seems odd that there are no major cities, just an endless expanse of military installations.

It would be awesome if the game actually featured urban areas. This is not a criticism of the game, just something I noticed.

The_Capitalist
I believe it was a green world that was being colonised when they started to fight over it. But dont quote me on that.
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#443 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

The_Capitalist
From Wikipedia: "Later, the expedition discovers the planet Auraxis, and exactly 175 years later, the war between the Terran Republic and the New Conglomerate breaks out. Following this, a group of combatants calling themselves the Vanu Sovereignty join the conflict." Three factions have recently discovered this new planet and each are trying to claim it. So it makes perfect sense that there aren't any urban areas but only a ton of military bases.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#444 clyde46
Man the servers are laggy tonight.