Paying to play online is just a scam.

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#51 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
It's not a scam. It's a business model that's proven to work over the years and for MMOs it helps keep the game's community afloat. If you don't like it you're not forced to pay it, there's other content out there and other options that allow you to do the same without paying a fee.
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"]People pay for what they want.. People use the money they have to do with as they see fit. KungfuKitten

This. People clearly find value in these services and are willing to pay for them, just because you dont see the value, it doesnt mean the person that does is getting scammed/being silly with their money etc.

Don't know about that. If I look back at how much money I spend on WoW I feel a little nauseous.

Well thats you and of course not everyone will be the same, but i've thoroughly enjoyed the time i've played WoW (and still play) and used XBL Gold, so as far as i'm concerned its money well spent.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#53 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

I agree with TC. This pay to play stuff developers are doing has always sickened me.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Snugenz

I agree with TC. This pay to play stuff developers are doing has always sickened me.

Demonjoe93

"How dare you charge me for something you created and maintain!, you sicken me Blizzard!!!"

There's very few things in this world that "should" be free, entertainment certainly isnt one of them. Go and be sickened by costs for health care, you know, something that should be a basic human right.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23920 Posts

For 15 dollars a month you pay the devs to do the following: Give plenty of free content in return and maintain those expensive servers.

Btw, I have actually spent much less money once I started playing mmos. Despite getting most if not all games I am interested in.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
MY 2 cents. MMO had always been this way,reason why they had not been a hit on consoles and are just on PC,the games run on dedicated servers,which are maintain heavily,i don't like MMO RPG not because they are a scam or anything like that,because i don't like paying a fee for ever,but many MMO this days are free to play,you will just not get a great character with great stats,and you have to pay for upgrades which is more or less the same,except that you can play free and choose not to pay for premiums. Online play is free every where but on the xbox line of consoles,last gen it was basically friend list and still was $50 and people defend it,live was created with the only purpose of getting MS some money back from since they were loosing billions on the original xbox,who ever claims that MS can't give this service free just doesn't want to admit it. MS is a multi billion dollar company this company can loss billions like no body's business and still go on and on like the Energizer rabbit,people will pay because they always find a justification for it,PSN next gen can match Live feature for feature and still people will find a lame excuse to justify that fee,in the end is worst because it will not get better,you see it already Now MS actually apply this scheme to Gears of War 3,the game has content inside the game that is lock,and which you have to purchase,skin colors... So not only are they selling a 4 pack DLC for the game,they also have skin which are been sold apart even that they are inside the disc,now this is XBL scheme at a maximum level,while some companies have already done this as well with their games,and been heavily flame like EA for selling guns that were inside the disc already,Gears 3 hasn't been flame for this,is this attitude that is MS does it it most be good and we most accept it. While some may think this scheme that has also been done by EA,capcom and some other is not from MS invention,the truth is that the scheme works in the same way xbox 360 games work with live,you pay $60 dollars for a game,yet you can't play it online even that the multiplayer is inside the game,you have to pay a fee to be allow to access multiplaying,and live unlock it when you pay,the scheme other companies are doing of charging you for unlocking things you already pay for,works just like live and it will get worst as years go by.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#57 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I pay to play MMOs because they give a unique experiance you can't get anywhere else and usually have anywhere from 100x to 1000x the content of a standard game.

Also you get what you pay for. A pay to play MMO is better than a free to play MMO in every single way possible. From content, stability of the servers, and development support to basic things like gameplay and production values.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts
Why do people fail to mention MMO subscriptions? Why do people fail to mention that PC servers are paid for by generous donators (gamers)? Because it doesn't suit their argument. This is a fanboy forum, so you should expect this kind of stuff.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 tormentos

For 15 dollars a month you pay the devs to do the following: Give plenty of free content in return and maintain those expensive servers.

Btw, I have actually spent much less money once I started playing mmos. Despite getting most if not all games I am interested in.

Maroxad
That is one of the biggest difference between live and MMO,you can keep playing those games for years,so you can play long time for $15 a month,the time you spend on that game,is less time you spend buying 1,2,3 or even 4 games on a single month. Core gamers in 1 month of play in a MMO could get more hours of gameplay than you probably would get out of 4 or 5 games,that is a ton of money save so MMO are compare to normal games,is how much you will get from those $15 a month compare to other games what should really matter. Like i say i don't like MMO,but savings are there when you compare it with regular games,something XBL lack vs PSN and online play on PC.
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Snugenz

I pay to play MMOs because they give a unique experiance you can't get anywhere else and usually have anywhere from 100x to 1000x the content of a standard game.

Also you get what you pay for. A pay to play MMO is better than a free to play MMO in every single way possible. From content, stability of the servers, and development support to basic things like gameplay and production values.

Wasdie

Completely agreed that P2P is better than F2P. Atleast in P2P MMO's (like WoW) paid services and extra subscriptions have no in game effect so everyone has the same oppertunities.

With F2P MMO's, there's no balance between the haves and have nots, the haves will progress in the game much easier due to premium game enhancments (like double exp, much better gear etc.), plus every F2P MMO i've tried (which isnt many tbh) have been terribly unstable and very poorly maintained compared to most P2P mmo's.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
I agree and that's why I don't or never will pay to play any game.
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Snugenz

I agree and that's why I don't or never will pay to play any game. Heil68

So you borrow all your games then?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Heil68

[QUOTE="Heil68"]I agree and that's why I don't or never will pay to play any game. Snugenz

pay a monthly fee to play a game on top of the cost of the game itself. I'll buy games, I'm just not going to pay a monthly subscription fee.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 tormentos
[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]Why do people fail to mention MMO subscriptions? Why do people fail to mention that PC servers are paid for by generous donators (gamers)? Because it doesn't suit their argument. This is a fanboy forum, so you should expect this kind of stuff.

They did. But $15 a month will get you more enjoyment than many other $60 games combined,since those games get tons of content basically what you pay is nothing,the game get tuns of stuff,not just 5 over priced maps for $15,i prefer to pay $15 for a month of MMO than $15 for 5 maps. Not all games on PC run on servers which are pay by donators,but that excuse is pathetic to say the least,are you actually trying to tell me,that joe gamers on PC can donate to keep servers running,and MS a multi billion dollar company can't donate for its own console to maintain the service free.? If average Joe gamer can donate for a server,and keep them running is impossible that MS can't do the same,more when they are actually making tons of cash out of every single transaction on XBL,and had tons of adds running making them money,that without counting game royalties,in the end i don't care who is donating the money for servers on PC,what matter to me is that when i buy a game for PC i am allowed to play it free,who pays for then i don't know but it sure wasn't me i haven't pay in my life to play a game online on PC.
games5522

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#65 games5522
Member since 2005 • 2909 Posts

Why do people fail to mention MMO subscriptions? Why do people fail to mention that PC servers are paid for by generous donators (gamers)? Because it doesn't suit their argument. This is a fanboy forum, so you should expect this kind of stuff.Ly_the_Fairy

I mentioned MMO subscriptions.

A fair chunk of PC servers are also run by ISPs. With the servers run by individuals you can get a very unique game experience, with custom maps and mods and such (like prophunt!). The only servers that Microsoft and Sony really need to run are those that serve the downloads of content and the servers that hold all of the user accounts and stats, which is paid for by the ads you see on Xbox Live and magic fairy dust on PSN. I can't really comment much on PSN because I haven't paid much attention to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

Look, im not the biggest fan of MMO's, but do you actually realize how much money is put into maintaining the servers? The company would go bankrupt if they didn't have an income to pay for the hardware and the for people who's job is to maintain the servers.

Also, free MMO's from my experience are horrible and they are not "free". Instead they do stupid little micro transactions so certain items are locked for me unless I'm willing to open my wallet. That creates a divided player base while everyone paying 15 bucks a month to get access to the entire game creates a much more fair game.

Also, when you buy a MMO they usually come with one month free, I know WoW does, and I know The Old Republic is doing this as well.

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts
[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"]I agree and that's why I don't or never will pay to play any game. Heil68

pay a monthly fee to play a game on top of the cost of the game itself. I'll buy games, I'm just not going to pay a monthly subscription fee.

So you've never purchased any downloadable content ever on any platform? That would be paying more after already paying for a game.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Heil68
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="Snugenz"]So you borrow all your games then?Frostbite24

So you've never purchased any downloadable content ever on any platform? That would be paying more after already paying for a game.

Last DLC I bought was a map pack for Halo3, haven't since. I shouldn't of bought that either as it was free after 6 months.
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#69 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

The $25 a year I spend on Xbox Live is completely worth the Party Chat alone I use nearly every day. As for the MMO crap, aint in to that stuff.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 tormentos

The $25 a year I spend on Xbox Live is completely worth the Party Chat alone I use nearly every day. As for the MMO crap, aint in to that stuff.

shawn7324
Were can i buy XBL for $25...?
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i like xbl and don't mind the fee since it's just $30 to re-up anyway but i still don't think a comparason to mmos is very good.

i play alot of games and through the mid point of this gen was buying like 1 new one and 2 or 3 used ones or 1 or 2 arcade titles per month.

when i played wow for a couple of years i bought next to no games so i went from spending $100 or so per month to wows measily $15 a month.

mmos are the absolute cheapest gaming experences that exist and the moment you hear anyone talk about how much of a ripoff paying their monthly fee is you know they have no clue what they are talking about.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#72 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
With online passes most games are not even free online anymore. If you buy it used then you have to buy a pass.
kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

If you have played WoW since it came out you have paid Blizzard:

$50 for Original

$40 for 1st expansion

$40 for 2nd expansion

$40 for 3rd expansion

$15 per month for 83 months

Or $1415 in total.

That's a lot for one video game.

peterw007

When I played Wow for around two years, I played nothing else. That's very VERY cheap. Now I buy 2-3 games each month depending on the releases each month, that is at least $100+ each month. This was the case for most of my friends aswell.

If you can't spend $1415 on a hobby during a time period of 6 years, I can't see how you can be gaming at all. Hell, I spend a lot more than $1500 annually on my other hobbies.

svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

$50 for Original

$40 for 1st expansion

$40 for 2nd expansion

$40 for 3rd expansion

Or $1415 in total.

peterw007
1415 dollars is a lot for 83 months of fun ?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#75 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="peterw007"]

$50 for Original

$40 for 1st expansion

$40 for 2nd expansion

$40 for 3rd expansion

Or $1415 in total.

svenus97

1415 dollars is a lot for 83 months of fun ?

In the past 7 years I have bought a PS3, 360, two seperate gaming computers (first one kid of died on me and wasn't worth salvaging), and about 30 console games and 150 PC games. I've spent a total of about 10k on video games in the past 7 years.

Some people have played WoW for that entire time and maybe have picked up a handful of new games and a new PC. They paid probably half I have.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

$50 for Original

$40 for 1st expansion

$40 for 2nd expansion

$40 for 3rd expansion

Or $1415 in total.

peterw007
And thats litterally years of daily entertainment.... This thread is just dumb. XBL charges you for peer to peer things that dont need to cost. oh sure premium content is fine, but paying to play online which costs nothing in the first place is MUCH worse tan paying for MMO Servers + Customre Support + Ongoing development of the game.... a really silly topic indeed.
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 PC360Wii
Also yes ok, you dont own the game .... I go to the cinema and pay to watch do I own the film? so what if I dont "own" it.... who cares? im getting my entertainment out of it. I own that server space and character until the end of the games life (like 20 years?)..... really REALLY weak arguement.
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
I read through this thread and nobody came up with a reasonable answer to why MMOs get a free pass but XBL always gets trashed on here. These are the arguments: - "It's entertaining for me so I will pay for it." - Well so what? I did not argue against your enjoyment. I don't care. That doesn't answer my question though. - "It costs a lot of money to maintain the servers." - Again, I'll refer you back to my OP, there are lots of good MMOs out there that are free and their only source of money is microtransactions. - "You're getting more content than 3 full games a year." - That's arguable, and totally depends on the game. If were just talking about WoW then I might agree, but then again I don't believe that at all. The amount of content in the game right now is pretty intimidating, but for the people who have always been there since day 1 is less than a new game. There wouldn't be a need for expansion packs if the content is as consistent as the monthly charges.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#79 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

In the past 7 years I have bought a PS3, 360, two seperate gaming computers (first one kid of died on me and wasn't worth salvaging), and about 30 console games and 150 PC games. I've spent a total of about 10k on video games in the past 7 years.

Some people have played WoW for that entire time and maybe have picked up a handful of new games and a new PC. They paid probably half I have.

Wasdie

Then you think to yourself...Have I really spent that kind of money on games

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 PC360Wii

I read through this thread and nobody came up with a reasonable answer to why MMOs get a free pass but XBL always gets trashed on here. These are the arguments: - "It's entertaining for me so I will pay for it." - Well so what? I did not argue against your enjoyment. I don't care. That doesn't answer my question though. - "It costs a lot of money to maintain the servers." - Again, I'll refer you back to my OP, there are lots of good MMOs out there that are free and their only source of money is microtransactions. - "You're getting more content than 3 full games a year." - That's arguable, and totally depends on the game. If were just talking about WoW then I might agree, but then again I don't believe that at all. The amount of content in the game right now is pretty intimidating, but for the people who have always been there since day 1 is less than a new game. There wouldn't be a need for expansion packs if the content is as consistent as the monthly charges. percech

1) "F2P MMOs" - Microtransactions work well financially but ironically ends up costing more than the monthly fee on those MMOs, since pretty much ALL of them demand that you pay for power in the higher tier areas of the game.... so your point is moot.... and due to a lack of consistency in the profit, the content doesnt develope to the same quality ... nowhere near.... what does xboxlive do FOR MULTIPLAYER GAMING that the other systems cant do equally or in PC's case better? oh right ... nothing.

"lots of good free mmos" oh please... if you have bad standards and will play anything with a cheap label then maybe....

2) "Debatable on games life" no it isnt... oh sure some people may play an FPS for years ... game doesnt update anywhere close to as often as a good MMO.... not to mention maps are effortless in comparison.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 percech

[QUOTE="percech"]I read through this thread and nobody came up with a reasonable answer to why MMOs get a free pass but XBL always gets trashed on here. These are the arguments: - "It's entertaining for me so I will pay for it." - Well so what? I did not argue against your enjoyment. I don't care. That doesn't answer my question though. - "It costs a lot of money to maintain the servers." - Again, I'll refer you back to my OP, there are lots of good MMOs out there that are free and their only source of money is microtransactions. - "You're getting more content than 3 full games a year." - That's arguable, and totally depends on the game. If were just talking about WoW then I might agree, but then again I don't believe that at all. The amount of content in the game right now is pretty intimidating, but for the people who have always been there since day 1 is less than a new game. There wouldn't be a need for expansion packs if the content is as consistent as the monthly charges. PC360Wii

1) "F2P MMOs" - Microtransactions work well financially but ironically ends up costing more than the monthly fee on those MMOs, since pretty much ALL of them demand that you pay for power in the higher tier areas of the game.... so your point is moot.... and due to a lack of consistency in the profit, the content doesnt develope to the same quality ... nowhere near.... what does xboxlive do FOR MULTIPLAYER GAMING that the other systems cant do equally or in PC's case better? oh right ... nothing.

"lots of good free mmos" oh please... if you have bad standards and will play anything with a cheap label then maybe....

2) "Debatable on games life" no it isnt... oh sure some people may play an FPS for years ... game doesnt update anywhere close to as often as a good MMO.... not to mention maps are effortless in comparison.

1. I'm not about to argue the same crap and repeat myself here as to why XBL is worth the $60 A YEAR price. I don't know about the microtransaction thing though, doesn't that depend on the player? Also, there are plenty of good MMOs out there. My little brother plays them all the time. They are free to play after all, so it's not like they need to be worth the price since you know...THERE ISN'T ONE. 2. Of coures an fps game doesn't update as much...THERE ISN'T A MONTHLY CHARGE TO PLAY IT. You don't even have to play them online. I mean come on, this isn't even a good argument, I don't know why I'm even responding to it.
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 PC360Wii
[QUOTE="PC360Wii"]

[QUOTE="percech"]I read through this thread and nobody came up with a reasonable answer to why MMOs get a free pass but XBL always gets trashed on here. These are the arguments: - "It's entertaining for me so I will pay for it." - Well so what? I did not argue against your enjoyment. I don't care. That doesn't answer my question though. - "It costs a lot of money to maintain the servers." - Again, I'll refer you back to my OP, there are lots of good MMOs out there that are free and their only source of money is microtransactions. - "You're getting more content than 3 full games a year." - That's arguable, and totally depends on the game. If were just talking about WoW then I might agree, but then again I don't believe that at all. The amount of content in the game right now is pretty intimidating, but for the people who have always been there since day 1 is less than a new game. There wouldn't be a need for expansion packs if the content is as consistent as the monthly charges. percech

1. I'm not about to argue the same crap and repeat myself here as to why XBL is worth the $60 A YEAR price. I don't know about the microtransaction thing though, doesn't that depend on the player? Also, there are plenty of good MMOs out there. My little brother plays them all the time. They are free to play after all, so it's not like they need to be worth the price since you know...THERE ISN'T ONE. 2. Of coures an fps game doesn't update as much...THERE ISN'T A MONTHLY CHARGE TO PLAY IT. You don't even have to play them online. I mean come on, this isn't even a good argument, I don't know why I'm even responding to it.

It is a good arguement, and you just dropped yourself in it.... to uphold the quality of a game like world of warcraft you NEED the monthly fee.... so if you need it and it provides a quality service... how is it the sameas being forced to pay for features found free to the same or better quality elsewhere like xboxlive does? Oh I bet your little brother like most kids would play bloody anything if its free... really not a good example.
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 percech
He played games like Vindictus and Guild Wars. I really don't see much of a difference...other than WoW's having uglier graphics. Btw, nobody is being forced to do anything on XBL. Most of the features are available for free, but there are lots of added features and there is one huge update that adds and changes many things once a year. $180 a year is not the same thing as $60 a year. Back to your "forced" argument; I can argue that people are being forced to pay $15 a month for stuff they don't care for/want...shouldn't they have the option?
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 PC360Wii
He played games like Vindictus and Guild Wars. I really don't see much of a difference...other than WoW's having uglier graphics. Btw, nobody is being forced to do anything on XBL. Most of the features are available for free, but there are lots of added features and there is one huge update that adds and changes many things once a year. $180 a year is not the same thing as $60 a year. Back to your "forced" argument; I can argue that people are being forced to pay $15 a month for stuff they don't care for/want...shouldn't they have the option?percech
You are FORCED to pay to play online.... and thats what everyone complains about.
cloudman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 cloudman5
Member since 2006 • 81 Posts

Over 11 million gamers disagree. The sheer amount of content added to wow is many times that of a standard run of the mill game. Take that into account and your getting many times the play. Sure its not for everyone, and if the content is not to your tastes or the cost to high to justify play something else. I have had 2 long stretches of wow during both of those it actually saves me money, since i did not bother to game on anything else. Using this same logic you could say its a rip off they charge $60 bucks for each retail copy. Even being done with wow now it was highly enjoyable for the time i played it and well worth the money to me. Xbox live is another story for me. I have all the consoles and i had to fork out another $60 dollars to enjoy some multiplayer on gears 3. After i have played killzone and other games on the ps3 the experience minus the party chat is not any differant, infact all my friends have switched this year to ps3 on the sports game front, as its been cheaper, and everyone i know finnally has one due to the nice exclusive content they have been pushing. Alot of them used to be diehard lemmings but they all secretly got on board the ps3 bandwagon.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 tormentos
He played games like Vindictus and Guild Wars. I really don't see much of a difference...other than WoW's having uglier graphics. Btw, nobody is being forced to do anything on XBL. Most of the features are available for free, but there are lots of added features and there is one huge update that adds and changes many things once a year. $180 a year is not the same thing as $60 a year. Back to your "forced" argument; I can argue that people are being forced to pay $15 a month for stuff they don't care for/want...shouldn't they have the option?percech
Most of the features free on XBL.? Do you have XBL.? or have you ever pay for it.? Almost all the good features are hide under live gold,facebook,twitter,netflix and several other,if you don't pay you can't use those features,those are free on PC by the way,and done like they should be on a real browser. If you don't pay you don't play is simple,you pay the same for a game that PS3 and PC gamers do,but you don't have access to online,pretty big rip off if you ask me. But paying $15 a year for a game you will be playing for a long time,save you allot, how much in a year is $15 a moth.? $180 dollars,when on 360 alone is $60 a year for online and 2 games already match those $180,i am sure most 360 fans buy more than 2 games a year. So in the long run paying for something you play daily is actually more cheap that buying 4 or 5 games with XBL.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
Free content patches.
speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#88 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Great topic. I mean it... Every time I see the name World of Warcraft then I think like :"Why is it so expensive?" Same as those other "free" fps'es on the pc were you need to pay for new weapons or membership.

The problem here is that there are much but I mean much people that only play on the ps3 or prefer it cus they don't want to pay for xbox live.

Most people of them don't play WoW (or not anymore)cus they are ps3/360 players if they did then we saw much more topics about WoW...

Still people bought that superhero mmo game on the ps3 and payed for it to play online... and argue about the 360 online service.

About that paying for a mmo and you don't own it is tru. Why would you pay full pricefor a game when you know that you will not own it and still need to pay for it after you buyed it? "Cus it has much content...", "Cus it gives me much play time...". Its like paying for a second life in a virtual world.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I just don't like MMOs because they tend to be such grindfests. I remember back in 8th grade I used to play Runescape, looking back at that game now I don't know how I could have ever thought that was fun.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

The thing that I don't get about MMOs is the initial charge for the game. I get the monthly sub, because the game develppment continues, but the initial charge is a rip off more than anything else.

Either way, I wouldn't pay sub fees for any game, they just aren't worth it. Live charge is even worse because you pay one company for the game and another company to play it.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 percech
[QUOTE="percech"]He played games like Vindictus and Guild Wars. I really don't see much of a difference...other than WoW's having uglier graphics. Btw, nobody is being forced to do anything on XBL. Most of the features are available for free, but there are lots of added features and there is one huge update that adds and changes many things once a year. $180 a year is not the same thing as $60 a year. Back to your "forced" argument; I can argue that people are being forced to pay $15 a month for stuff they don't care for/want...shouldn't they have the option?PC360Wii
You are FORCED to pay to play online.... and thats what everyone complains about.

You are FORCED to pay to play online for MMO's as well and that's why I'm making this argument. You're also arguing that it's justified because you get content, well you get free content in games like TF2 all the time.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

[QUOTE="PC360Wii"][QUOTE="percech"]He played games like Vindictus and Guild Wars. I really don't see much of a difference...other than WoW's having uglier graphics. Btw, nobody is being forced to do anything on XBL. Most of the features are available for free, but there are lots of added features and there is one huge update that adds and changes many things once a year. $180 a year is not the same thing as $60 a year. Back to your "forced" argument; I can argue that people are being forced to pay $15 a month for stuff they don't care for/want...shouldn't they have the option?percech

You are FORCED to pay to play online for MMO's as well and that's why I'm making this argument. You're also arguing that it's justified because you get content, well you get free content in games like TF2 all the time.

You are NOT forced to pay for all MMO's. There are free to play ones. They have a small playerbase and usually subsidize their income by having either ads in-game (that people complain about) or aspects of the game itself that you can buy with real money. WoW is not one of those games due to it's high playerbase. Blizzard would crumble turning WoW into a free to play game based on the number of players and thus the number of servers they need to maintain and the high costs of bandwidth for those servers. I did some research a couple of years back when WoW hit the 9 million player mark and found that they were paying close to 3 million a month on servers and bandwidth alone. That's not including salaries of support personel, rent on the server enclosures (buildings that house the server banks), and other day to day expenses.

So you can make a MMO like Anarchy Online that now has 5-10000 players and make it free to play and still pull in a marginal profit from ads, or a really successful one where the actual numbers of players are going to force a pricing structure that makes it pay to play. But you cannot have both.