OG Tomb Raider trilogy remasters announced.

• 125 results
tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3741 Posts

This looks horrendous. Definitely not up to today’s standards. Remake them in the new engine, whatever we used for the last game. No thanks pass.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#102 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13055 Posts

Oh yes solid line up. I remember playing it when it debuted on Sega Saturn. I played the other two on PC.

Great memories.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 KvallyX
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

Cool for its time on the ps1. Couldn't care less about this IP nowadays. It needs a second reboot, and make it as dark/grim as TLOU, but in the treasure hunting setting. I think that could be pretty sweet.

Look, Tomb Raider was multiplat as it gets... But even I see it as an iconic PS One game.

lol wut? This was a Sega Saturn iconic game when the first one came out.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59215 Posts

@kvallyx said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

Cool for its time on the ps1. Couldn't care less about this IP nowadays. It needs a second reboot, and make it as dark/grim as TLOU, but in the treasure hunting setting. I think that could be pretty sweet.

Look, Tomb Raider was multiplat as it gets... But even I see it as an iconic PS One game.

The Sega Saturn was a poor seller. Tomb Raider become directly associated with PS1.

Some of the arguments in this thread are emotionally upsetting.

The aspect of the game/s primarily poor are the enemy AI, which is terrible.

The map design, exploration, and platforming is top notch for the most part.

Overall don't like this people and wish ill on them.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 KvallyX

@uninspiredcup said:
@kvallyx said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

The Sega Saturn was a poor seller. Tomb Raider become directly associated with PS1.

Stop. You’re drunk.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@kvallyx said:

Stop. You’re drunk.

My freind, I think you might have came from some sort of alternate dimension to be confident in that take.

Tomb Raider 1 Sold 1.5 million copies on Saturn.

-

Tomb Raider 1 sold 7 million copies on Playstation

Tomb Raider 2 sold 6 million copies Playstation

Tomb Raider 3 sold 3 million copies Playstation

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation sold 2.5 million copies Playstation

Tomb Raider Chronicles (2000) Sold 1.5 million copies Playstation

To Saturns credit, those sales are good, for Saturn. But the console itself was decimated by PS1, and all association with Tomb Raider came from Playstation, even if at the time it was actually still a multiplatform title. To put it simply - that was the bread and butter, the PS1 was a cultural phenomenon that changed the gaming landscape. And Lara Croft likewise, which was directly associated with it.

In retrospect Saturn is viewed as a cult console, a curio.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#107 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34713 Posts

How to discern a casual from a gaming connoisseur.

Look at this thread.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 KvallyX

@Litchie said:

Look at this thread.

Agreed.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

@kvallyx said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@kvallyx said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

Stop. You’re drunk.

He's not wrong. I played Tomb Raider on the PC at the time, but in terms of image, Tomb Raider became very close to the PS1. Both TR and the PS1 kind of became iconic together.

That said, the retro lover part of me, wants a Sega Saturn.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 HalcyonScarlet
@Litchie said:

Look at this thread.

This is a big deal for me. Being from the UK, my options are, play the 50Hz PS1 version or try and get a quality experience on the PC version which runs in dos box.

I loved the atmosphere of TR. The short draw distance really helps, then those sounds echoing in the background.

I'm really hoping they tweak the controls a bit too. I'm excited for this.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By KvallyX

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@kvallyx said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@kvallyx said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Stop. You’re drunk.

He's not wrong. I played Tomb Raider on the PC at the time, but in terms of image, Tomb Raider became very close to the PS1. Both TR and the PS1 kind of became iconic together.

Well not during my time and others I knew was it seen as a PS game. In fact we got it on our Sega first.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

@kvallyx said:

Oh yes solid line up. I remember playing it when it debuted on Sega Saturn. I played the other two on PC.

Great memories.

Right on bro. Good to see others still appreciate these classics.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts
@Litchie said:

Look at this thread.

Yuuuuup

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#114 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1175 Posts

Reading about this, first seeing it on PSN as pre-order, I'm reminded of Tomb Raider Anniversary. That was a remake of the first game, I think?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#115 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19653 Posts

The original Tomb Raider trilogy are still among the best 3D puzzle-platformers of all time, along with the Prince of Persia and Portal games. However, the clunky controls have aged poorly. If they can somehow update the clunky controls, then it would be worth it.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Jag85
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@kvallyx said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@kvallyx said:

Stop. You’re drunk.

kvallyx is right that Tomb Raider debuted on the Sega Saturn. But uninspiredcup is right that Tomb Raider became more strongly associated with the PS1. The Saturn original didn't sell that much compared to the hugely successful PS1 port, so that's what most people associated TR with.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 HalcyonScarlet

@Jag85 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@kvallyx said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@kvallyx said:

Stop. You’re drunk.

kvallyx is right that Tomb Raider debuted on the Sega Saturn. But uninspiredcup is right that Tomb Raider became more strongly associated with the PS1. The Saturn original didn't sell that much compared to the hugely successful PS1 port, so that's what most people associated TR with.

Absolutely. Started on the Sega Saturn, I played it on the PC. But even I see the strong PS association.

I'm really excited to get this.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Jag85
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Jag85 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@kvallyx said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Stop. You’re drunk.

Absolutely. Started on the Sega Saturn, I played it on the PC. But even I see the strong PS association.

If you had a 3dfx Voodoo card, then PC port was the best version at the time, better than the PS1 version. Ironically, despite being the original, the Saturn version was the worst one. They made graphical improvements to the PS1 port, which made it look better. And then the 3dfx Voodoo card further improved the PC port.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 HalcyonScarlet

@Jag85 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Jag85 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@kvallyx said:

Stop. You’re drunk.

If you had a 3dfx Voodoo card, then PC port was the best version at the time, better than the PS1 version. Ironically, despite being the original, the Saturn version was the worst one. They made graphical improvements to the PS1 port, which made it look better. And then the 3dfx Voodoo card further improved the PC port.

Not sure what graphics card we had on that computer.

I tried to recently build a retro computer. I have an Ati Rage 128 and a GeForce 2Ti, because the GeForce 256 is really expensive and hard to get second hand.

I wanted it for retro PC games. It just doesn't post. The old PSU is REALLY loud.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#120 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2956 Posts

@tjandmia said:

This looks horrendous. Definitely not up to today’s standards. Remake them in the new engine, whatever we used for the last game. No thanks pass.

Yeah, the remake looks like a PS2 game at its best. And have people forgotten how difficult the original Tomb Raider was? Check points (Save crystals) were scarce, but maybe the Remake will change that? Otherwise I refuse to believe that modern gamers will have the patience to complete the game.

I think I will pass on this trilogy. I had rather replay Uncharted 4.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Jag85
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Jag85 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Jag85 said:

Not sure what graphics card we had on that computer.

I tried to recently build a retro computer. I have an Ati Rage 128 and a GeForce 2Ti, because the GeForce 256 is really expensive and hard to get second hand.

I wanted it for retro PC games. It just doesn't post. The old PSU is REALLY loud.

ATI Rage 128 is from 1999 and GF2 Ti from 2000, so that would be representative of a 1999-2000 era PC. And yeah, old PCs back then were quite noisy and had troubleshooting issues. PCs eventually became quieter and user-friendly, hence the subsequent growth of PC gaming.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@pmanden said:
@tjandmia said:

Yeah, the remake looks like a PS2 game at its best. And have people forgotten how difficult the original Tomb Raider was? Check points (Save crystals) were scarce, but maybe the Remake will change that? Otherwise I refuse to believe that modern gamers will have the patience to complete the game.

I think I will pass on this trilogy. I had rather replay Uncharted 4.

1. Not remake

2. PC can save anywhere

3. The Crystals in OG Tomb Raider were vastly superior to Legend+ where it auto-saved every 20 feet, section, to section (like modern games) that any danger, tension, risk/reward is non existent.

The original Tomb Raider (specifically the peak 1/3) where designed that platforming was an engaging experience, where how well you played mattered. Meticulously so from ledge to ledge. A puzzle, essentially.

Uncharted games and similar ilk (including later Tomb Raiders), aside from frequency of saves making tension non-existent, used "fake tension" on top. Scripted sequences of animations to go off with sound-bites. Where in reality it's actually nigh on impossible to hit a fail state. Thus "shitty movie game"

Manual saves are generally always better, you can decide how you want to play rather than a developer scared to actually punish a player. Or vice versa, being too prude, which isn't really a thing these days.

Even something like Quake 2, which in reality, didn't have that complex level design and really, isn't that a hard a game compared to Quake had to put a bunch of options in for "le modern gamer", thankfully, these are optional and can be ignored.

Peak remaster, something Tomb Raider should actively ape.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@Jag85 said:

ATI Rage 128 is from 1999 and GF2 Ti from 2000, so that would be representative of a 1999-2000 era PC. And yeah, old PCs back then were quite noisy and had troubleshooting issues. PCs eventually became quieter and user-friendly, hence the subsequent growth of PC gaming.

I want it 90s based, so I got the Geforce 2Ti first because I couldn't get hold of a Geforce 256, but in the end went with an Ati Rage 128, so it's 1999 based and it's going to be designed for the 90s.

I'm only interested in 5th gen and older PC gaming. I'm not overly fond of the 6th gen for this build.

I don't remember PSUs being THIS loud, I think something is wrong with it. It sounds like a jet engine.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Jag85
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Jag85 said:

I want it 90s based, so I got the Geforce 2Ti first because I couldn't get hold of a Geforce 256, but in the end went with an Ati Rage 128, so it's 1999 based and it's going to be designed for the 90s.

I'm only interested in 5th gen and older PC gaming. I'm not overly fond of the 6th gen for this build.

I don't remember PSUs being THIS loud, I think something is wrong with it. It sounds like a jet engine.

GeForce 256 was the best PC GPU available in 1999. If that's not available, then ATI Rage 128 and 3dfx Voodoo 3 are the next best options.

What about the CPU? The best CPU available in 1999 was the Pentium III at 800 MHz.

In that case, you might want to get your PSU repaired.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 HalcyonScarlet

Just pre-ordered this. :-)