OG Tomb Raider trilogy remasters announced.

• 125 results
Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

@TheEroica: Lol, well, let's just say that a shit ton of people disagree with you.

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#52 pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 363 Posts

@nod_calypse:

What are the gold editions? Do they have extra content and how can I get them?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#53 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41568 Posts

Ironic they first announce this at a Nintendo gig. Like, I know TR has been on Nintendo in the past (sans Wii U), I have Legend and Anniversary on GCN and Wii. But this was when TR was associated most with PlayStation.

Still playing PlayStation games on the same system we play Mario 64, Goldeneye, and Pokemon Stadium is unreal.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#54 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70100 Posts

@nod_calypse said:

@TheEroica: Lol, well, let's just say that a shit ton of people disagree with you.

A shit ton of people also believe the world is flat.🙃

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@pixievalerie said:

@nod_calypse:

What are the gold editions? Do they have extra content and how can I get them?

The Gold editions were for 1 and 2, and were free PC-exclusive extra content packs. They each have a number of new levels, and expand the story. As for TR3, the expansion went beyond the Gold editions, and was actually a full on standalone game, which served as a kind of immediate sequel to the events of TR3. All the content is great, as it really expands the lore, and offers more of what makes the games great in the first place, puzzle solving, exploration, immersive atmosphere, etc. You can dl them from.....places....and get them to run on modern machines, but it's a bit of a headache, especially with Lost Artifact. Possible, though. I did it. Head over to tombraiderforums.com to learn how to dl and install. The community there has got you covered.

Basically, the expansions are for those that aren't obsessed with female anatomy, and realize that these games are not about booba, but rather a unique kind of acrobatic gameplay, deep puzzle solving, intriguing plots, and exotic locale exploration.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

I was hoping it was a remake, not a remaster. I hope it plays as good as the Tomb Raider series on PS4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@nintendoboy16 said:

Ironic they first announce this at a Nintendo gig. Like, I know TR has been on Nintendo in the past (sans Wii U), I have Legend and Anniversary on GCN and Wii. But this was when TR was associated most with PlayStation.

Still playing PlayStation games on the same system we play Mario 64, Goldeneye, and Pokemon Stadium is unreal.

True, but I'm just happy it got announced, period. The more platforms, the better imo. Everyone that wants to enjoy old school TR should be able to easily, and that's exactly what this does.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7272 Posts

Will be interesting to see how it sells on switch I'll probably go xbox or playstation.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#59 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59227 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Hope there is a modern control scheme, even if this would break the gameplay somewhat, it seems like a must.

I absolutely 200% disagree.

Edgy take here - but the controls in Tomb Raider 2+ are PERFECT.

The maps are designed around it, every single camera angle you can and cannot see if deliberate. And it the player has the ability to quick turn.

The levels from top to bottom are explicitly designed around it's mechanics. It's a lot more than Ass Creed where you "hold down button" to auto-do everything with lazy cunty copy-paste whatever design. Every 20 feet of these maps generally have thought put into them.

Which is probably why game journos will hate this cause of them can't make toast without burning the house down.

Yeah exactly, not having modern controls would mean the same people that couldn't get into it so many years ago, will not be able to get into it now. What is stopping the game from receiving updated controls that work with how the game plays?

Using modern controls would basically break the game. Which, guessing they will do.

If anything needs fixed it's the dog-shit AI. Always been terrible in these games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@robert_sparkes said:

Will be interesting to see how it sells on switch I'll probably go xbox or playstation.

I expect big numbers, overall. Tons of people have been asking for this a long time, which is the sole reason why the effort was put out to make it.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 nintendoboy16

@uninspiredcup: If it worked for REmake and Onimusha when they were Remastered. And I always thought tank controls were awkward in a platformer in a post Mario 64 world.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@nintendoboy16: Apples and oranges. TR old school had a very precise acrobatic platforming setup. Changing the controls would ruin the scheme.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@nod_calypse: Correct.

And in fact, we do have an example of this happening.

This is a Tomb Raider clone. The PC version uses similar tank controls, the N64 version uses updated controls. And it completely fucks up the pacing the game. The first level can finish in about 1/7th of the time, it was never designed for that kind of control scheme so all the design laid down around slower methodical pacing becomes absolutely moot.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46512 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Using modern controls would basically break the game. Which, guessing they will do.

If anything needs fixed it's the dog-shit AI. Always been terrible in these games.

Yes, I always remember the combat and AI in these games to be awful.

But ok, I guess if they can't apply modern controls for these games it's not a deal breaker.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22859 Posts

@nod_calypse said:

I'd love to watch someone play the first tomb raider and tell me it's worth their time. That generation has notoriously dated games due to the first attempts at many widely perfected genres... I remember playing tomb raider when it came out and thinking it was a chore to play. Years later it was just an easy pass.

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#66 pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 363 Posts

@nod_calypse:

Oh that sounds great and like really substantial content. I will look into that for sure, thank you. I think I only ever installed fix packs and graphics tweaks for them that I found on Steam. I hope they will also remaster the other games in the future too. And yeah I don't play these for the boobas lol, I'm here for the satisfying gameplay experience.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@TheEroica said:
@nod_calypse said:

I'd love to watch someone play the first tomb raider and tell me it's worth their time. That generation has notoriously dated games due to the first attempts at many widely perfected genres... I remember playing tomb raider when it came out and thinking it was a chore to play. Years later it was just an easy pass.

You've gotta be kidding me, dude. Tons of people still play them. There's a huge community. The original engine was made free to the public, for example. Collectively the community has developed literally over 5,000 games using that engine; these games play exactly like old school TR, as it's the same engine. To this day games are being developed independently and uploaded to places like TRLE.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@uninspiredcup said:

@nod_calypse: Correct.

And in fact, we do have an example of this happening.

This is a Tomb Raider clone. The PC version uses similar tank controls, the N64 version uses updated controls. And it completely fucks up the pacing the game. The first level can finish in about 1/7th of the time, it was never designed for that kind of control scheme so all the design laid down around slower methodical pacing becomes absolutely moot.

Yeah, it's not hard to see. Don't understand why people can't understand this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@pixievalerie said:

@nod_calypse:

Oh that sounds great and like really substantial content. I will look into that for sure, thank you. I think I only ever installed fix packs and graphics tweaks for them that I found on Steam. I hope they will also remaster the other games in the future too. And yeah I don't play these for the boobas lol, I'm here for the satisfying gameplay experience.

Right on. Yeah, I tend to defend these games to the death, lol. Big time fan.

Oh yeah, and tombraiders.net is a really good site run by Stella Lune. It links to all the downloads you need, and has instructions on how to make it all work. She does not support piracy. The dl's are for abandonware/free content, or else she'll point you to where to go to purchase. Personally, for The Lost Artifact I bought a copy off ebay, then went through hell getting it to work on my PC, lol.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#70 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4581 Posts

Unless they update the gameplay, it is a hard pass. Those games play terrible by modern standards.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@iambatman7986 said:

Unless they update the gameplay, it is a hard pass. Those games play terrible by modern standards.

Modern 3D-action platformers involve pressing X and pushing forward without the ability to fall of the ledge.

If this is modern standards it's time to go back, back to the past.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@uninspiredcup said:
@iambatman7986 said:

Modern 3D-action platformers involve pressing X and pushing forward without the ability to fall of the ledge.

If this is modern standards it's time to go back, back to the past.

Lol, it's a losing battle.

Gamers these days don't like to die.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22402 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Cool for its time on the ps1. Couldn't care less about this IP nowadays. It needs a second reboot, and make it as dark/grim as TLOU, but in the treasure hunting setting. I think that could be pretty sweet.

Pffft, no thanks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@hardwenzen said:

Cool for its time on the ps1. Couldn't care less about this IP nowadays. It needs a second reboot, and make it as dark/grim as TLOU, but in the treasure hunting setting. I think that could be pretty sweet.

Pffft, no thanks.

Yeah, that's a big No from me, too. A Hell No, actually. The vibe of TLoU, and anything like it, is utterly foreign to the original TR games.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#75 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58444 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@nod_calypse: It really isn't. Dream come true would be three full remakes.

Yup.

I don't want to pay for the literal same game again I can already play on PC [probably].

@nod_calypse said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Seems like a cheap cash grab. Would rather get a proper remake. Remasters are pretty lame for the most part.

This is exactly what the old school community wanted. A simple dress-up of the originals, changing next to nothing. Just a solid port that works, eliminating the need to jump through hoops. The added PC editions are a huge thing. The Lost Artifact being remastered and released with the trilogy is a dream come true.

I'll take your word for it, then, because I just don't see it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#76  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58444 Posts
@TheEroica said:

Those games are from a gameplay standpoint abysmal to play. Can't imagine wanting to go back for more.

What, you don't like tank controls?!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@mrbojangles25: Haha, fair enough. If you want proof, just head over to the official Tomb Raider forums. Fans by the boatload are over there popping champagne.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 nintendoboy16

@nod_calypse: Doubtful when Lara Croft's Persian predecessor pulled it off in it's second 3D attempts back on PS2, GCN, Xbox.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By iambatman7986

@nod_calypse: I grew up during the Atari Era. I don't like modern games due to their cinematic nature. The issue with the older games is the tank controls aren't intuitive anymore. I agree with the no falling off cliffs, and how most of Uncharted 4 can literally be beat with 1 hand on the controller. No arguments here, but an old game with dated controls isn't the answer to a game being difficult. My favorite games are From soft games because they remind me of the games of old in difficulty but modernized.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 iambatman7986

@uninspiredcup: see my response to nod above. The response was to you a well. U lived these games on the ps1, but they didn't agree well control wise. I wish that had because I have many fond memories of the series. I spent hours just playing around in the mansion.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#81 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39530 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@hardwenzen said:

Pffft, no thanks.

Always disagreeing with me. Not cool. Not cool at all tbh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@iambatman7986 said:

@nod_calypse: I grew up during the Atari Era. I don't like modern games due to their cinematic nature. The issue with the older games is the tank controls aren't intuitive anymore. I agree with the no falling off cliffs, and how most of Uncharted 4 can literally be beat with 1 hand on the controller. No arguments here, but an old game with dated controls isn't the answer to a game being difficult. My favorite games are From soft games because they remind me of the games of old in difficulty but modernized.

Yeah, I mean, I guess what's going on here is that I never stopped playing those old games, so I never got out of touch with the controls, really. I play a lot of TR level editor levels/campaigns. As far as being hard because they're dated, I don't agree. I think old school TR has phenomenal control. I just think it is demanding of you, which is to say, it requires that you play by its rules. You can get into a zone with those old TR controls, and when you do, everything flows smoothly, like a damn ballerina or something. As far as the old TR games go, though, a big part of the challenge is in the puzzle solving, which is to a degree separate of the controls often.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Last_Lap  Online
Member since 2023 • 6499 Posts

@nod_calypse said:
@last_lap said:

I played Tomb Raider on the Sega Saturn about 6 months ago. Finished it back in the day. However I got about an hour in and couldn't force myself to keep playing.

People are in for a real shock if they go back to playing these.

Yeah, this is strictly for the fans. There's an undying cult following of old school TR. So undying that we have a website where we post new games built with the old engine. There are thousands of titles in the catalogue, it's nuts. For the community, there is no shock. This is precisely what we've been asking for for years.

I've been a TR fan from the beginning. That doesn't change the fact that the gameplay is clunky af.

If you're happy with that then more power to you, I just can't get over how bad they play, nostalgia is a good drug lol.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#84 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70100 Posts

@TheEroica said:
@nod_calypse said:

The game controlled like ass before but it was a fascinating and new experience.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Nice! I still poke at the originals from time to time. The facelift looks good - I’ll probably bite

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By iambatman7986

@nod_calypse: The puzzles were amazing. That was my favorite part of the series and what I miss most about the new trilogy. I still love playing some older games, but a lot of early 3d stuff with tank controls throw me off now because I'm not used to them anymore. Most games I play are indie because they remind me of the challenge of when I was younger. I may hook my ps1 up and break out Tomb Raider to see how I like them these days. Maybe if I play for a while the controls will become natural again like you said.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@iambatman7986 said:

@nod_calypse: The puzzles were amazing. That was my favorite part of the series and what I miss most about the new trilogy. I still love playing some older games, but a lot of early 3d stuff with tank controls throw me off now because I'm not used to them anymore. Most games I play are indie because they remind me of the challenge of when I was younger. I may hook my ps1 up and break out Tomb Raider to see how I like them these days. Maybe if I play for a while the controls will become natural again like you said.

Oh, it'll be rough for sure, lol. Going back to it after having been away for a long time can be frustrating. But yeah, if you stick with it, the "feeling" will come back, like riding a bike.

For what it's worth, old school TR controls only feel like ass if the player is ass at using them. Once you get good at it, everything flows smoothly. All the clunkiness disappears. That's how it was designed.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#88 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39530 Posts

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 robert_sparkes

Looking forward to locking the butler in the freezer. So many memories flooding back from TR 2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@hardwenzen: Gotta wonder why you're even posting in here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@robert_sparkes said:

Looking forward to locking the butler in the freezer. So many memories flooding back from TR 2.

Such memories. Remember figuring that out, then walking away and you could still hear dude in there clunking around with his tray.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#92  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26112 Posts

I love how you can switch to the original graphics; but the new graphics don't seem that much better.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 uninspiredcup  Online

@Willy105: They look abit souless to me. Be playing with the OG's pointy tits.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 uninspiredcup  Online

@robert_sparkes said:

One of the things love about TR2, think the games over and then just jumps back to the mansion with a epilogue level with a classic 90s cheese ending.

Fun stuff. Instead of this.

Has the expansion packs as well. Most of them are really good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@uninspiredcup said:
@robert_sparkes said:

One of the things love about TR2, think the games over and then just jumps back to the mansion with a epilogue level with a classic 90s cheese ending.

Fun stuff. Instead of this.

Has the expansion packs as well. Most of them are really good.

The expansions are far beyond the icing on the cake, yeah. The Lost Artifact being included in the package is dope as hell. It's a perfect conclusion to TR3.

As for the new Lara, it just ain't Lara, and that's all that needs to be said, really. There is no reconciling that person to the old Lara. Two different people. One common, teary-eyed, soft. The other bitchy in the best way, subtly sarcastic, and dry-eyed. True ice queen.

Take the latter any day.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@Willy105 said:

I love how you can switch to the original graphics; but the new graphics don't seem that much better.

It's a simple update, cleaned up environments and face. Actually looks like Lara, perfectly. All in one package with expansions. That's all that's needed.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 robert_sparkes

I cant wait to jump into some old school tomb raider really like the new games but don't have the puzzles of the old games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46512 Posts

Players can experience the journey their own way, with the ability to toggle on the fly between enhanced and original graphics, as well as switch between classic and modern joystick control schemes. Fans will also discover a variety of quality-of-life improvements, including camera lock-on and achievements.

Gonna wait until February at least but the 20% loyalty discount does sound good, along with updated controls.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By robert_sparkes

Think I'll have to use the updated controls would find it hard going back to the d pad.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44206 Posts

Rise of the Tomb Raider 2 >>>>> This. :P