Official Bioshock Review Discussion Thread - 9.0 (POST HERE OR BE SUSPENDED)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#401 kansasdude2009
Member since 2006 • 11802 Posts

Gears of War - 9.6 >>>>>> Bioshock - 9.0

WHAT IS THIS PLACE!?!?!??!

Sorry for those who really liked GeOW... but I personally thought it was all flash, while Bioshock seems to have much more content and overal gaming impact upon the player.

I don't know... just seems fishy to me. Oh well... I'm getting it for my PC! Can't wait! :D:D:D:D:D

Avatar image for Unbeatable-boss
Unbeatable-boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#402 Unbeatable-boss
Member since 2006 • 609 Posts

[QUOTE="Unbeatable-boss"]Can't wait for the PC version!:D SgtWhiskeyjack

I'm getting it for both :D

Good for you!:D

Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#403 Trading_Zoner
Member since 2007 • 4100 Posts

this is a pretty amusing thread

and i'm glad to see a review that actually cast a critical eye over the game. The rest of the reviews are just a bunch of fanboyish drivel being spewed over the game, just like Zelda TP

bulletmath

Yeah really.

That's the reason I think GS is the best review site, it doesn't buy into the hype.

eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#404 eastside49er
Member since 2002 • 19559 Posts

[QUOTE="eastside49er"]It must just be GS's 360 because every other review doesn't mention it at all. Bansheesdie

Thats the thing though, it was played on multiple systems and it kept occurring. Thats not eventhat big of a dealbig, because it wasn't the reason BioShock scored a 9.0

Then you have to think that it could be a bad copy of the game. No one mentions this problem besides GS and considering it happens at a certain point every time, then it could be something wrong with that copy.

It is also mentioned in the bad things about the game so they obviously took away some points because of it so it did affect the review.

Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#405 Yellow_Rose
Member since 2002 • 16739 Posts

The reason why I ask if this game flopped is because many people were hyping this as the GOTY.

Zhengi

Review score has nothing to do with GOTY.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#406 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts

and i'm glad to see a review that actually cast a critical eye over the game. The rest of the reviews are just a bunch of fanboyish drivel being spewed over the game, just like Zelda TP

bulletmath

Yeah, the only legit review is the one that gives it the lowest rating. And you're talking about "fanboyish drivel"?

kittykatz5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#407 kittykatz5k
Member since 2004 • 32249 Posts

If (And probably when)metroid prime 3 gets 9.0, I'll be so pissed off with the sheer ammount of "OMG! Wii standerdz are so lows!" post. Maybe you people will come to your senses and realise this score is what the game deserved, but chances are likly no. Hell, chances are liklymost of you will even read the full review.

Reminds me of the time loco roco was hyped AAA (though bioshock actualyl got it's AAA score), people were so wowed by the dem oand initial shock value... but by the end, it wore off and you could see a bunch of flaws. Bioshock you won't see as many flaws, seeing as it's freakin AAA as is, but hopfully you people will come to see what these flaws are as you complete it.

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#408 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts

[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="bulletmath"]is anyone else worried about this game being too easy? after the comments from Jeff i'm thinking this might not offer a sufficient challengeZor

Play it on hard?

Any game where you have to play it on "hard' for it be 'normal' is too easy.

Well the devs said it's harder on PC and that's what I'm getting so I don't care.

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#409 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

[QUOTE="Unbeatable-boss"]Can't wait for the PC version!:D SgtWhiskeyjack

really? just wondering, why?

Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410 Trading_Zoner

Sorry for those who really liked GeOW... but I personally thought it was all flash, while Bioshock seems to have much more content and overal gaming impact upon the player.

I don't know... just seems fishy to me. Oh well... I'm getting it for my PC! Can't wait! :D:D:D:D:D

kansasdude2009

Have you played the game all the way through though?

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

Several things:

1) All you kids getting your panties in a bunch over a friggin review score (especially a 9.0 AAA) need to stop taking SW so seriously. You kids are acting like someone called your momma "ugly". How insecure can you get.

2) It seem Sony fanboys didn't learn from 2004 as they attenpt to call a 9.0+ game a flop only to have it blow up in their face with MGS3. Hard head makes a soft behind.

3) I'm pleasantly surprise to see the sheepboys refraining from hyping Super Mario Galaxy AAA since SMS got 8.0 here.

Why do some people never learn from their mistakes?

Yellow_Rose

**Checks the forum for current topics**

On the contrary....sheep are going outta control with SMG now

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Man, I love Jeff sometimes. His reviews can get fanboys mad at him.

9 is a good score. Maybe it would of got a 10 if it had a chainsaw.

Chaos_HL21
Best post of the day! Well lems, now you know how sheep felt on TP day! You have been Jeffed!
h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts
i think its funny that no other review ive read mentioned this two or three minute freeze ups. something strange is going on with that. either way, it sounds patchable.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#414 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I just finished reading the review again. I'm still a little surprised. AAA is great. That review text was not. Very disappointing. That actually made me want to play the game less. Then I checked gamerankings and felt better about the world. It is indeed not backwards.
eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415 eastside49er
[QUOTE="bulletmath"]

Trading_Zoner

Yeah really.

That's the reason I think GS is the best review site, it doesn't buy into the hype.

So then I guess you agree that Gears of War is the best game to come around in the last 2 or so years. High five! ;)

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
[QUOTE="bulletmath"]

Trading_Zoner

Yeah really.

GOD i so hope jeffe gives MGS4 a 8.5 right now...
cyprus646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#417 cyprus646
Member since 2004 • 4070 Posts
Wow I was thinking this game would get a 9 :D
SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#418 SgtWhiskeyjack
Member since 2004 • 16364 Posts
[QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"]

[QUOTE="Unbeatable-boss"]Can't wait for the PC version!:D istreakforfood

really? just wondering, why?

I play mny 360 at home at weekends and I work and stay 470miles away during the week, then I use my uber laptop :D

bulletmath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419 bulletmath
Member since 2007 • 1339 Posts

Depends on your skill level. If grannies can play the Wii...

SgtWhiskeyjack

well metroid was no picnic, and from the sounds of it this was

Tamarind_Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420 Tamarind_Face
Member since 2007 • 2270 Posts

[QUOTE="maabus99"] A.) The frequent stuttering issue. First off, NO ONE else has reported this. Why didn't he investigate if he had an issue that was obviously reported as a negative in a professional review. Is he too lazy to even make a phone call or discuss it with other professional contacts in the review world?Bansheesdie

But the visuals aren't without flaw--the game has an annoying seizure problem that almost looks like a correctable bug. On some consoles, the game hitches up and totally freezes for anywhere from one to five seconds at a time, then proceeds as if nothing happened. It doesn't seem to be tied to any particularly noteworthy parts of the game, and it happened only after playing the game for hours; but once it started, it didn't stop happening--even after we began an all-new game--and it can freeze up two or three times a minute. It's not the end of the world, but it's extremely frustrating and one of the few knocks this game has against it.

Its more then just a glitch. And Jeff played on multiple systems and the glitch kept coming up.

So this game is broken and it still got a perfect score from other sites and reviewers?hmmm...
mwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#421 mwa
Member since 2003 • 2639 Posts

kansasdude2009

oh that's not all. according to jeff: Warioware > Bioshock

Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422 Trading_Zoner
[QUOTE="Zhengi"]

The reason why I ask if this game flopped is because many people were hyping this as the GOTY.

Yellow_Rose

So Hour of Victory is a GOTY contender then?
Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts

Zhengi
There were quite a lot of people that hyped it AAAA GOTY ,I believe those are the same ones who are now stating 'I will never trust another GameSpot review'.
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424 nintendo-4life
[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]

[QUOTE="maabus99"] A.) The frequent stuttering issue. First off, NO ONE else has reported this. Why didn't he investigate if he had an issue that was obviously reported as a negative in a professional review. Is he too lazy to even make a phone call or discuss it with other professional contacts in the review world?Tamarind_Face

But the visuals aren't without flaw--the game has an annoying seizure problem that almost looks like a correctable bug. On some consoles, the game hitches up and totally freezes for anywhere from one to five seconds at a time, then proceeds as if nothing happened. It doesn't seem to be tied to any particularly noteworthy parts of the game, and it happened only after playing the game for hours; but once it started, it didn't stop happening--even after we began an all-new game--and it can freeze up two or three times a minute. It's not the end of the world, but it's extremely frustrating and one of the few knocks this game has against it.

Its more then just a glitch. And Jeff played on multiple systems and the glitch kept coming up.

So this game is broken and it still got a perfect score from other sites and reviewers?hmmm...

what's the point with this post?
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
[QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"]

Several things:

1) All you kids getting your panties in a bunch over a friggin review score (especially a 9.0 AAA) need to stop taking SW so seriously. You kids are acting like someone called your momma "ugly". How insecure can you get.

2) It seem Sony fanboys didn't learn from 2004 as they attenpt to call a 9.0+ game a flop only to have it blow up in their face with MGS3. Hard head makes a soft behind.

3) I'm pleasantly surprise to see the sheepboys refraining from hyping Super Mario Galaxy AAA since SMS got 8.0 here.

Why do some people never learn from their mistakes?

MikeE21286

**Checks the forum for current topics**

On the contrary....sheep are going outta control with SMG now

The game looks epic IMO. And it's nothing like SMS. Please stop comparing them, it's just as bad as comparing it to NSMB .

Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426 Trading_Zoner
[QUOTE="Trading_Zoner"][QUOTE="bulletmath"]

nintendo-4life

Yeah really.

fanboy much?

Why would you HOPE a game gets a lower than expected score?

SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427 SgtWhiskeyjack
[QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"]

Depends on your skill level. If grannies can play the Wii...

bulletmath

well metroid was no picnic, and from the sounds of it this was

The discription of the difficulty level is quite obvious when you select it, it only says that it's slightly challenging. I wouldn't expect anyone on here to play it at normal - we are too hardcore :D

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

I wonder when the PC version will even be reveiwed.

I also wonder if Gamespot has even gotten a chance to play it on PC yet.....because of the whole internet activation things.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429 nintendo-4life
[QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"][QUOTE="Zhengi"]

Trading_Zoner

no, but that's probably the REVIEW ITSELF wasn't full of praise? :|
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#430 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
What is it with Gamespot and trying to be edgy by giving games lower scores? I think it's because they're always the last people to review games... they must try to get traffic by going against the grain.
Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431 Dualshockin
[QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"][QUOTE="Zhengi"]

Trading_Zoner

Oh that was a good one.
kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#432 kansasdude2009
Member since 2006 • 11802 Posts
[QUOTE="bulletmath"]

Trading_Zoner

Yeah really.

Gears....... of........ War - 9.6

Bioshock - 9.0

huh...

eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433 eastside49er

I wonder when the PC version will even be reveiwed.

I also wonder if Gamespot has even gotten a chance to play it on PC yet.....because of the whole internet activation things.

MikeE21286

They are probably in the same boat as you and me. Waiting.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#434 nintendo-4life
[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"][QUOTE="Trading_Zoner"][QUOTE="bulletmath"]

Trading_Zoner

Yeah really.

fanboy much?

just for a few laughs. wow people here really are very serious i always seem to forget that when coming here :P
and i just want to see if you're going to twist your words or not.
bulletmath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#435 bulletmath

Yeah, the only legit review is the one that gives it the lowest rating. And you're talking about "fanboyish drivel"?

Zeliard9

Creaming themselves over the game before they'd even played it. oohing and aahing over every minute detail and ignoring any and all deficincies

cowards like that make me sick. If i am getting a review i want to know everything. That's why Gamespots reviews of Zelda TP and Bioshock should be treasured

Natural_Mystic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436 Natural_Mystic
Member since 2003 • 4117 Posts

ughhhhh, I just read the Jeff's review. It was about as enjoyable as a rocksalt enema, terrible. Jeff writes with the flare and eloquence of an instruction manual.

I love reading BioShock reviews because of the wonderfully expressive writing this game seems to inspire. You must read the reviews from Eurogamer, Game Informer, 1up, IGN, and Gamespy, they do a great job of capturing the passion and exitement of BioShock. I've read every single one of its reviews and I have noticed that the reviews with boring, least vivid (Gamespot and Team Xbox) writing style gave BioShock its lowest scores. Maybe this speaks to the appeal of Bioshock, will it apeal to everyone or to just those whom appreciate more esoteric entertainment? Will it sell as well as halo 3? Only time will tell but I have a feeling that BioShock will have a lasting impact on gaming and forever influence the way stories are told.

Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#437 Trading_Zoner
[QUOTE="Trading_Zoner"][QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"][QUOTE="Zhengi"]

nintendo-4life

no, but that's probably the REVIEW ITSELF wasn't full of praise? :|

Neither was Bioshocks'.

SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#438 SgtWhiskeyjack

Why are people saying we are in pain over the review? We do have other great titles to look forward to unlike the sheep that just had Zelda.

Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439 Yellow_Rose
Member since 2002 • 16739 Posts
[QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"]

[QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="MARIOSDAD_basic"]It really got an 8.7 luckily the new rating system bumped it up to a 9.0 FLOP :twisted:Dualshockin

I'm still looking for the people that said Mario Galaxy had no chance against it for AAAA GOTY lol

Remind me what did Super Mario Sunshine score here again?

I'll only do so once you tell me what System Shock 2 scored here.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/systemshock2/review.html

Your turn

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#440 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts
bottom line is somethings fishy when no other site has mentioned these hiccups. whats the problem with the GS copies or systems? its very strange
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

Why are people saying we are in pain over the review? We do have other great titles to look forward to unlike the sheep that just had Zelda.

SgtWhiskeyjack
doesn't make it impossible for you to be in pain.
-Xeno-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#442 -Xeno-
Member since 2007 • 454 Posts

Great game, though obviously not as great as many people were hoping.

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443 Dualshockin
What is it with Gamespot and trying to be edgy by giving games lower scores? I think it's because they're always the last people to review games... they must try to get traffic by going against the grain.Ninja-Vox
So now GameSpot don't score a game AAAA because they want more traffic :roll: ? Honestly,Bioshock scored 9.0,I don't see a problem with it.
Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#444 Trading_Zoner
[QUOTE="Trading_Zoner"][QUOTE="nintendo-4life"][QUOTE="Trading_Zoner"][QUOTE="bulletmath"]

nintendo-4life

Yeah really.

fanboy much?

just for a few laughs. wow people here really are very serious i always seem to forget that when coming here :P
and i just want to see if you're going to twist your words or not.

You hoping that a game would flop makes me think the same about you.

DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts

What is it with Gamespot and trying to be edgy by giving games lower scores? I think it's because they're always the last people to review games... they must try to get traffic by going against the grain.Ninja-Vox

Not only are they usually one of the last to review; but they almost always give one of the lowest scores. They are the antagonist. :P

bulletmath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#446 bulletmath

and i just want to see if you're going to twist your words or not.nintendo-4life

the funniest thing that could possibly happen would be for halo and metroid to flop and a Wii/DS game to get GOTY

Fanboys would be in tears. But teh casuals!!! but teh Wii is killing gaming!!!

poor little kids wouldn't know what had hit them
SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#447 SgtWhiskeyjack
[QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"]

Hewkii

doesn't make it impossible for you to be in pain.

Yeah, I hate getting AAA games :roll:

eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#448 eastside49er

bottom line is somethings fishy when no other site has mentioned these hiccups. whats the problem with the GS copies or systems? its very strange
h575309

Not only that, but I have yet to hear about these hiccups from people who have played and beaten the 360 version. Sounds like the GS version is FUBAR.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#449 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

Yeah, I hate getting AAA games :roll:

SgtWhiskeyjack
and sheep hate getting AA games.
Avatar image for distrbdslipsoad
distrbdslipsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#450 distrbdslipsoad
Member since 2004 • 17458 Posts

"Its weak link is its unsatisfying no-skill-required combat, which might aim this one just over the head of the average Halo fan."

WTF? :|