Oblivion: Most dissapointing AAA ever IMHO. whats yours?

• 173 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
[QUOTE="2FacedJanus"]Oblivion because it's not an rpg. Grive

Oblivion IMHO barleys counts as an RPG, but I still think it deserved AAAchaosX303

You both better be VERY experienced Hermits. Oblivion is one of the very, very, VERY few console videogames that can be truly be considered an "RPG".

Uhh...no. If anything its more of an action hack and slash than anything. Morrowind on the other hand, now THAT'S an rpg.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts
[QUOTE="Rockclmbr6"]FFXII. I guess I'm just not meant to play JRPGs. I pretty much wish I had my 50 dollars back. It is really frustrating when you are watching your character get killed when you know if YOU were playing you could win easily.fuzzysquash
lol, what?

He's right you know, I go outside and take down T-REX's all the time.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#153 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
MGS2 here. Loved the first, hated the controls in the second and the third was only marginally better.
Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="Rockclmbr6"]FFXII. I guess I'm just not meant to play JRPGs. I pretty much wish I had my 50 dollars back. It is really frustrating when you are watching your character get killed when you know if YOU were playing you could win easily.Dencore
lol, what?

lol, he said "playing." As in, if he could actually control the character in real time combat, then he would win. I agree 100%. Real time combat >>> turn based combat
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Dencore
[QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="Rockclmbr6"]FFXII. I guess I'm just not meant to play JRPGs. I pretty much wish I had my 50 dollars back. It is really frustrating when you are watching your character get killed when you know if YOU were playing you could win easily.-GeordiLaForge-
lol, what?

lol, he said "playing." As in, if he could actually control the character in real time combat, then he would win. I agree 100%. Real time combat >>> turn based combat

Oh my bad. That is pretty funny though. I personally like real-time but you are able to pause and change your characters motion. Star Ocean III is a PERFECT example of this.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts
[QUOTE="JiveT"]Yeah Oblivion got really old 100 hours into it. slduncanlaw
Wow, are your standards high.

Sarcasm or not, our standards should be high - Oblivion is probably the shortest of the Elder Scrolls games (excluding Battlespire, Redguard, and the other spin-offs).

And that's why I love Oblivion...I still haven't played Morrowind but I can't believe you didn't like Oblivion. One of my favorite games ever.Rockclmbr6

We didn't like Oblivion because we played Morrowind - if Oblivion has been like Morrowind only with better graphics/combat, then it would have probably deserved AAA. But it wasn't, it was like Morrowind Lite.

[QUOTE="ice144"]O and theres another problem in the game. Character creation. if you choose, mysticism, alchemy, acrobatics, or atletics as one of your major skills you're pretty much screwed right from the start. Go try it if you havent already and find out why.

Not necessarily true - I picked alchemy, for the first time ever in an Elder Scrolls game, and I breezed through Oblivion without any problems. Alchemt was just insanely overpowered - many areas contain the necessary reagents to make invisibility potions, meaning you can just run past 95% of the enemies in the game (and close Oblivion gates in 1-3 minutes).

As for Metroid Prime 2: Echoes...I wouldn't say that I enjoyed it more than Prime 1, but it wasn't much worse, either. The only thing I hated about it was that they didn't even attempt to hide the fact that you're just key-hunting for half of the game. The greatly increased difficulty, weapons, enemies, etc were probably all better than Prime's.
TheManOfChoice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 TheManOfChoice
Member since 2003 • 4148 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicare"]

[QUOTE="Spartan070"]I think probably MGS2, no way that should've out scored MGS3 or MGS1.super_mario_128

Yes, both of those games were much better than MGS 2.  The fact that MGS 2 score higher than MGS 1 and 3 is a travesty.

Why? MGS 1 IS the best MGS. But MGS 3 is not >> MGS2

Agreed, for me it goes MGS1>MGS2>>>>>MGS3. MGS3 was just pathetic, I lost motivation to keep moving forward just before I got to Granins facility because there is barely any damn story. The only thing anyone remembers about that game is the ending.

Sensui1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#158 Sensui1986
Member since 2005 • 390 Posts
There is only one reason why most people that liked Morrowind, didn't like Oblivion. And that reason is the arrow that points your way trough the game, a simple arrow that removes a lot of depth into the game, feels like you are not as involved as in Morrowind. but I still take Oblivion above any other title on Xbox360 right now.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Planeforger

Edit: I would also like to add that the news of Bethesda getting to do Fallout 3 is the saddest thing I heard all ye... ever. Now all the kids who play it are gonna be like "WTF were all those crazy hermits babbling about all these years, Fallout is WEAK!?". Somebody hand me a tissue.

trollop_scat

No they won't - they'll all be like: "Fallout 3 is the second bestest RPG ever, after Oblivion."
Either way, it's still extremely depressing....which reminds me, I have to finish that Fallout 3 vid I was making...
silverjiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 silverjiken
Member since 2005 • 2162 Posts

Metroid Prime

You just go around scanning stuff without any story

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Planeforger
[QUOTE="Sensui1986"]There is only one reason why most people that liked Morrowind, didn't like Oblivion. And that reason is the arrow that points your way trough the game, a simple arrow that removes a lot of depth into the game, feels like you are not as involved as in Morrowind.

Well, that and:
  •  the lack of content (compared to the other Elder Scrolls games)
  • even more linear quests
  • the horrible level scaling
  • the complete lack of exploration (all of the dungeons are the same, none of them have any special loot in them, clearing them out will only make you level up faster, making the game harder)
  • the emphasis on twitch gaming and minigames (in Oblivion, player skill is more impotant than character skill, which is stupid for an RPG)
  • the extremely dumbed down dialogue (having 1000's of lines of full voice acting just meant that characters had to keep their lines short and simple)
  • the generic medieval setting
  • the feeling that, once you've finished Oblivion, you've really just failed at everything you set out to do (hell, the 'final boss' is a guy that you've seen/heard of only once of twice during the game, and you fight him 4/5 of the way through the main quest)
  • depth, the lack of
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Dencore

Metroid Prime

You just go around scanning stuff without any story

silverjiken
Umm you do realize that when you scanned stuff it TOLD you what was going on which WAS the story.
Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts
[QUOTE="ice144"]Uhh...no. If anything its more of an action hack and slash than anything. Morrowind on the other hand, now THAT'S an rpg.

I do agree on Morrowind... however, "action hack and slash" and RPG are not mutually exclusive. The combat system, come to think of it, is completely irrelevant to a game's status as an RPG. Remember, most of the "characteristics" of RPGs in electronic RPGs are nothing but adaptations to the limitations of the medium.

Oblivion (or the elder scrolls series in general) is one of the few series that can be considered somewhat close to what an "RPG" is.
Nex_Ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Nex_Ownage
Member since 2004 • 4753 Posts
I thought WRPG's like NWN & BG2 were terrible..Also Gears of War wasn't as good as i was lead to believe.
wawowowoworr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 wawowowoworr
Member since 2007 • 172 Posts
once oblivion gets update for xbox 360 then we can properly compare ps3 vs 360, im willing to bet 360 will look better once terrain shader patch is enabled.
solidgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 solidgamer
Member since 2005 • 7542 Posts
far cry instincts pure crap
crashintome202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 crashintome202
Member since 2004 • 466 Posts
halo 2
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="ice144"]Read topic. What in your opinion is the worst AAA game you have ever played that you kept tracked of and hyped yourself.

How on earth can oblivion get AAA with the repetitive combat, horrendusly flawed level scaling, quest bugs (specially the annoying ones where you kill an npc not knowing he would be needed for a later quest), over rated a.i, repetitive looking dungeons ( omfg this is especially annoying) and the repetitive oblivion zones. Seriously gamespot, seriously... i have no idea how they did not run into a single one of these problems when they're staring you right in the face.

anyways please say what you think is the most dissapointing AAA.
ice144
Pretty much any Final Fanstasy game... take your pick. And I couldn't disagree more with you about Oblivion. If you don't like it, I assert that you didn't understand how to create a character who would interact with the world in a way you would have enjoyed. No other console game offers as much freedom to choose who you want to be and what you want to do.

go play morrowind and come back. O and theres another problem in the game. Character creation. if you choose, mysticism, alchemy, acrobatics, or atletics as one of your major skills you're pretty much screwed right from the start. Go try it if you havent already and find out why.

How come? I havent got the tv free so can somebody explain why you are screwed if you choose those as major skills?

her0_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 her0_54
Member since 2006 • 474 Posts
Wow, some people didn't like Halo 2, TP, MGS2, and Metroid Prime? You guys make me wanna throw up, seriously. Now for a real AAA dissapointment, PDZ is the perfect candidate. A complete borefest, yeah!
gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#170 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts
Morrowind = RPG
Oblivion = GTA with magic
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Dencore
Morrowind = RPG
gingerdivid
Yes Oblivion is just like GTA. I explore caves, fight knights, ride horses, and practice archery in that game all the time. IMHO GTA is in someways superior to Oblivion. For example in GTA if you get in trouble by the police they EVENTUALLY leave you alone. In Oblivion 3 weeks could pass and the second I go into a town that's literally 100 miles from where I committed my crime.....I get arrested :|.
gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#172 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts
[QUOTE="gingerdivid"]Morrowind = RPG
Dencore
Yes Oblivion is just like GTA. I explore caves, fight knights, ride horses, and practice archery in that game all the time. IMHO GTA is in someways superior to Oblivion. For example in GTA if you get in trouble by the police they EVENTUALLY leave you alone. In Oblivion 3 weeks could pass and the second I go into a town that's literally 100 miles from where I committed my crime.....I get arrested :|.

Oblivion and GTA are very simular actually, both have shallow stories and quests or missions. Oblivion was kinda enjoyable I just can't say its an RPG it just isn't
RAZZY_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 RAZZY_B
Member since 2005 • 1709 Posts

I may be the only non-uber-lemming who thinks that Halo 2 and PDZ were scored too low...Spartan070

You just crossed the line.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
[QUOTE="gingerdivid"]Morrowind = RPG
Dencore

lol that happened to me once. i had kill a lone beggar at chorrol with no witnesses at all to see it. I traveled up to Bruma(three in game days later) and i had to talk to a guard for a quest. "STOP! YOU VIOLATED THE LAW!" :P
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Dencore
[QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="gingerdivid"]Morrowind = RPG
ice144

lol that happened to me once. i had kill a lone beggar at chorrol with no witnesses at all to see it. I traveled up to Bruma(three in game days later) and i had to talk to a guard for a quest. "STOP! YOU VIOLATED THE LAW!" :P

I seriously think that Bethesda's mentally challenge for doing that. Seriously that is just totally unrelistic and not fun. Did Morrowind have this crap?