Oblivion: Most dissapointing AAA ever IMHO. whats yours?

• 173 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
Read topic. What in your opinion is the worst AAA game you have ever played that you kept tracked of and hyped yourself.

How on earth can oblivion get AAA with the repetitive combat, horrendusly flawed level scaling, quest bugs (specially the annoying ones where you kill an npc not knowing he would be needed for a later quest), over rated a.i, repetitive looking dungeons ( omfg this is especially annoying) and the repetitive oblivion zones. Seriously gamespot, seriously... i have no idea how they did not run into a single one of these problems when they're staring you right in the face.

anyways please say what you think is the most dissapointing AAA.
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Darth_Stalin
Member since 2005 • 8681 Posts
That's why I think Morrowind>Oblivion. I wish they can remake Morrowind........the combat in Oblivion is pretty goo, once you get to be a master at a weapon, and a journeyman in acrobatics, and you can kinda run on water if you are a master of acrobatics.
Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Shirley_Temple
Member since 2006 • 5927 Posts

Halo 2,  Big fan of the original, waited with baited breath for 2, then really wondered what was so great about it.

Twilight Princess (Yeah I know 8.8, but AAA everywhere else) really deserves lower than 8.5 or so.  So little to do, new features aren't entertaining, story was half assed, horrible pacing problems I eventually returned it, and then replayed Wind Waker for the umpteenth time and loved it.  After playing ever Zelda in existence (save for the CDI crap) I can honestly say imo TP isn't that great.

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

I wouldn't even give it an 8. It was the worst Metroid game ever. Dull plot, bad multiplayer, music wasn't as good as MP1. I could go on. 

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
this thread is the most disappointing thing, IMHO.
halfnaked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 halfnaked
Member since 2005 • 1450 Posts
i know zelda twilight princess is not AAA here, but everywhere  else it is, this is by far the biggest dissapointment that i have ever played. The second most dissapointing game to me was metroid prime, i thought it was boring. It may sound like i hate nintendo but i dont, my favorite games of all time are all made or published by nintendo.
gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts
Warioware smooth moves.
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
Probably Halo 2. I don't get what people have against Oblivion. Personally I think it's a huge improvement over Morrowind, which was a little to big for me to get into. All I saw when playing Oblivion was Morrowind with prettier graphics and an easier way to travel.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
Yeah Oblivion got really old 100 hours into it. Its a beautiful looking immersive experience and all the whining in the world won't change that. I don't know what the most disappointing AAA game is to tell you the truth. There are AAA games I have no interest in like JRPG's and racing games. Any AAA game I bought has been excellent though. I think if I got R6 Vegas I would be disappointed but I already played the demo so I know its not my cup of tea.
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darth_Stalin
Probably Halo 2. I don't get what people have against Oblivion. Personally I think it's a huge improvement over Morrowind, which was a little to big for me to get into. All I saw when playing Oblivion was Morrowind with prettier graphics and an easier way to travel.pundog
But it has a worse story than Morrowind, and no sense of leveling progress. There is almost zero motivation to level up in Oblivion, since the game is scaled. Morrowind will have you beating crabs, till you are strong enough.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
PDZ is the most disappointing AAA ever.
crazyjames1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 crazyjames1080
Member since 2006 • 7377 Posts
I haven't played it. :(
FreedomReign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FreedomReign
Member since 2006 • 1178 Posts
Perfect Dark Zero.
PowerCharged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PowerCharged
Member since 2006 • 1402 Posts
PDZ
echelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 echelon
Member since 2002 • 1199 Posts
PDZ by far.
enduin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 enduin
Member since 2003 • 1364 Posts
DQ8, Oblivion and GTA:SA were all disappointing to me.
ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
and thats why i shall never play pdz lol.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
I think probably MGS2, no way that should've out scored MGS3 or MGS1.
Thug_Pikachu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Thug_Pikachu
Member since 2006 • 4725 Posts
this isnt even close. Dragon Quest 8, the story is crap, the visuals are way overrated, the battle system isnt deep, the music isnt that great . If anyone but Bethany reviewed it wouldnt have got AAA It doesnt even come close to FFX
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Spartan070
[QUOTE="pundog"]Probably Halo 2. I don't get what people have against Oblivion. Personally I think it's a huge improvement over Morrowind, which was a little to big for me to get into. All I saw when playing Oblivion was Morrowind with prettier graphics and an easier way to travel.Tulak_Hord
But it has a worse story than Morrowind, and no sense of leveling progress. There is almost zero motivation to level up in Oblivion, since the game is scaled. Morrowind will have you beating crabs, till you are strong enough.

You level because you can. I feel a small sense of pride in any game when I reach level 99 or in this case 100.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Spartan070
I may be the only non-uber-lemming who thinks that Halo 2 and PDZ were scored too low...
wiistation360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wiistation360
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts
Warioware smooth moves.gingerdivid
yes
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
[QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"][QUOTE="pundog"]Probably Halo 2. I don't get what people have against Oblivion. Personally I think it's a huge improvement over Morrowind, which was a little to big for me to get into. All I saw when playing Oblivion was Morrowind with prettier graphics and an easier way to travel.Spartan070

You level because you can. I feel a small sense of pride in any game when I reach level 99 or in this case 100.

Only reason I leveled was to get better armour and (with my mage) get better abilites. But I agree the scaled leveling was dumb.
Rockclmbr6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rockclmbr6
Member since 2004 • 3232 Posts
FFXII.  I guess I'm just not meant to play JRPGs.  I pretty much wish I had my 50 dollars back.  It is really frustrating when you are watching your character get killed when you know if YOU were playing you could win easily. 

And that's why I love Oblivion...I still haven't played Morrowind but I can't believe you didn't like Oblivion.  One of my favorite games ever.

Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Darth_Stalin
[QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"][QUOTE="pundog"]Probably Halo 2. I don't get what people have against Oblivion. Personally I think it's a huge improvement over Morrowind, which was a little to big for me to get into. All I saw when playing Oblivion was Morrowind with prettier graphics and an easier way to travel.Spartan070

But Oblivion doesn't have enough motivation to level up, since you can beat the game at almost any level you are in......In Morrowind, it's more realistic, I can remember punching a Khajiit, so I could kill him and steal his money......but I punched and he beat the tar out of my, and he literally chased me to Vivec, Ebonheart, Balmora and back to Seyda Neen, and I had to reload my game......
beldugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 beldugo
Member since 2003 • 2374 Posts
N64 games like 007 and Perfect dark.. the perfect dark for 360 was an ok game just as good as the 1st one thats why part 2 is overated. metal gear series is all overated except part 1 for psx everyone forget which metal gear made it that famous and why.
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts
I wasn't hyping it myself but the overall hype made me get GRAW. Why? It sucks and is just full of glitches.
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Darth_Stalin
Anyway, I have to give it to GTA:SA. I played it and I was soooo bored, not too long into the game. After I picked up some idiot from jail, in the beginning of the game.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 smokeydabear076
I may be the only non-uber-lemming who thinks that Halo 2 and PDZ were scored too low... Spartan070
What made PDZ AAA material?
jachichorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jachichorro
Member since 2004 • 3058 Posts
Metal gear Solid 2 of course. I still have nightmares with Raiden.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

[QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"][QUOTE="pundog"]Probably Halo 2. I don't get what people have against Oblivion. Personally I think it's a huge improvement over Morrowind, which was a little to big for me to get into. All I saw when playing Oblivion was Morrowind with prettier graphics and an easier way to travel.Tulak_Hord

But Oblivion doesn't have enough motivation to level up, since you can beat the game at almost any level you are in......In Morrowind, it's more realistic, I can remember punching a Khajiit, so I could kill him and steal his money......but I punched and he beat the tar out of my, and he literally chased me to Vivec, Ebonheart, Balmora and back to Seyda Neen, and I had to reload my game......

Level scaling is in most RPG's (its in Morrowind too!) but yea it went to a silly extreme in Oblivion. In Morrowind you could walk in a tomb or ruin and very quickly realise "oh crap I'm in trouble I better get out of here". Oblivion lacks those scares ... and the satisfaction of coming back and beating the tar outta those same guys a few levels later :D. Oblivion still good but Morrowind is great!

EDIT:Oblivion still an AAA IMO

Thug_Pikachu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Thug_Pikachu
Member since 2006 • 4725 Posts
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]I may be the only non-uber-lemming who thinks that Halo 2 and PDZ were scored too low... smokeydabear076

the fact that it came out in 2005 and the only other good shooter was FEAR. PDZ deserves AAA by default
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Spartan070

[QUOTE="Spartan070"]I may be the only non-uber-lemming who thinks that Halo 2 and PDZ were scored too low... smokeydabear076

I loved it, the online was great and competitive, the graphics were awesome for the first game of the generation, The weapons had variety and the usual welcome secondary functions, in co-op, you actually controlled two different characters woven into the story instead of just a mirror Master Chief, you could select which weapon you took into each mission, improving replay value and the cover and dodge roll actions were well implemented. 

I just don't see why people hate this awesome game.:|

slduncanlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 slduncanlaw
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts
Yeah Oblivion got really old 100 hours into it. JiveT
Wow, are your standards high.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 smokeydabear076
[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]I may be the only non-uber-lemming who thinks that Halo 2 and PDZ were scored too low... Spartan070

I loved it, the online was great and competitive, the graphics were awesome for the first game of the generation, The weapons had variety and the usual welcome secondary functions, in co-op, you actually controlled two different characters woven into the story instead of just a mirror Master Chief, you could select which weapon you took into each mission, improving replay value and the cover and dodge roll actionswere well implemented. I just don't see why people hate this awesome game.:|

Because PD was a lot better story wise and MP wise.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Read topic. What in your opinion is the worst AAA game you have ever played that you kept tracked of and hyped yourself.

How on earth can oblivion get AAA with the repetitive combat, horrendusly flawed level scaling, quest bugs (specially the annoying ones where you kill an npc not knowing he would be needed for a later quest), over rated a.i, repetitive looking dungeons ( omfg this is especially annoying) and the repetitive oblivion zones. Seriously gamespot, seriously... i have no idea how they did not run into a single one of these problems when they're staring you right in the face.

ice144
Pretty much any Final Fanstasy game... take your pick. And I couldn't disagree more with you about Oblivion. If you don't like it, I assert that you didn't understand how to create a character who would interact with the world in a way you would have enjoyed. No other console game offers as much freedom to choose who you want to be and what you want to do.
Dr_Evil_PhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dr_Evil_PhD
Member since 2006 • 1507 Posts
halo 2
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 donalbane

Greg Kasavin
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Spartan070
[QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]I may be the only non-uber-lemming who thinks that Halo 2 and PDZ were scored too low... smokeydabear076

I loved it, the online was great and competitive, the graphics were awesome for the first game of the generation, The weapons had variety and the usual welcome secondary functions, in co-op, you actually controlled two different characters woven into the story instead of just a mirror Master Chief, you could select which weapon you took into each mission, improving replay value and the cover and dodge roll actionswere well implemented. I just don't see why people hate this awesome game.:|

Yeah, it scored 9.9....this scored 9.0....thus the difference.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Spartan070
[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]I may be the only non-uber-lemming who thinks that Halo 2 and PDZ were scored too low... donalbane

Greg Kasavin

How about you read my points on the matter instead of using the ultimate cop-out and blaming the reviewer....
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 smokeydabear076
[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]I may be the only non-uber-lemming who thinks that Halo 2 and PDZ were scored too low... Spartan070

Yeah, it scored 9.9....this scored 9.0....thus the difference.

Thus the high expectations which lead to major disappointment.
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Darth_Stalin
Anyway, I have to give it to GTA:SA. I played it and I was soooo bored, not too long into the game. After I picked up some idiot from jail, in the beginning of the game.

[QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"][QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"][QUOTE="pundog"]Probably Halo 2. I don't get what people have against Oblivion. Personally I think it's a huge improvement over Morrowind, which was a little to big for me to get into. All I saw when playing Oblivion was Morrowind with prettier graphics and an easier way to travel.blue_hazy_basic

Level scaling is in most RPG's (its in Morrowind too!) but yea it went to a silly extreme in Oblivion. In Morrowind you could walk in a tomb or ruin and very quickly realise "oh crap I'm in trouble I better get out of here". Oblivion lacks those scares ... and the satisfaction of coming back and beating the tar outta those same guys a few levels later :D. Oblivion still good but Morrowind is great!

EDIT:Oblivion still an AAA IMO

I know its still a AAA, but it disappointed me.
Avatar image for A_LinkToThePast
A_LinkToThePast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 A_LinkToThePast
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts
PDZ, I was expecting a Halo. But I got a slow paced borefest. 7.8 at most IMO.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 donalbane
[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]I may be the only non-uber-lemming who thinks that Halo 2 and PDZ were scored too low... Spartan070

Greg Kasavin

How about you read my points on the matter instead of using the ultimate cop-out and blaming the reviewer....

Because I love PD0, and found it superior to the original in every conceivable way. Greg knew what was up, and I thought you'd respect his opinion more than mine.  Seems like your respect is hard earned, though... 'blame the reviewer?'  WTF?
crazyjames1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 crazyjames1080
Member since 2006 • 7377 Posts
I'd have to say MGS2. The boss's were very disappointing apart from the Vamp ones.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
[QUOTE="JiveT"]Yeah Oblivion got really old 100 hours into it. slduncanlaw
Wow, are your standards high.

Its SARCASM. I think it deserved a AAA easily. I found it a completley absorbing experience. The last game I played for 100 hours was DQVII.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="ice144"]Read topic. What in your opinion is the worst AAA game you have ever played that you kept tracked of and hyped yourself.

donalbane
Pretty much any Final Fanstasy game... take your pick. And I couldn't disagree more with you about Oblivion. If you don't like it, I assert that you didn't understand how to create a character who would interact with the world in a way you would have enjoyed. No other console game offers as much freedom to choose who you want to be and what you want to do.

Errr Morrowind? More factions and some truely great side plots (ie the dwemer)
skixwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 skixwolf
Member since 2004 • 4013 Posts
THPS3 is a disappointing AAAA for me, AAA? Umm, prolly Metroid Prime
rockstar183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rockstar183
Member since 2006 • 1637 Posts
halo2 by far , pdz, mp1 and 2 way over rated
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Spartan070
[QUOTE="donalbane"] Because I love PD0, and found it superior to the original in every conceivable way. Greg knew what was up, and I thought you'd respect his opinion more than mine.

I don't get it:( Did I goof:oops: