Nvidia Shield Console Could Crush PS4 & Xbox One

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

I have spent hours watching videos and reading up on this console, and it is very impressive, especially watching it in action at the 2015 GDC conference.

The new Grid gaming service by Nvidia combined with the new Tegra X1 processor allows this baby to play both older and the newest games, Witcher 3, for example looked and ran great, and it was streaming.

I think Nvidia has really thought of everything, just buy the console for $200, then pay for the Grid online streaming service and buy your games and stream and play.....it's genius that blows away such unrealized ideas like PlayStation now, and I for one hope it really takes off in sales.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

So you pay $200 for an Android console, and then you pay money to get into the streaming service, and then you pay more money to stream individual titles that you do not own.

Do you see the problem yet?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Streaming? Too much lag. There's already too much lag as is.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

This sounds like when you hyped the OUYA

You couldn't handle an Alienware prebuilt, and now you want to dick around with streaming games?

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Nope

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Slimmin360

@charizard1605 said:

So you pay $200 for an Android console, and then you pay money to get into the streaming service, and then you pay more money to stream individual titles that you do not own.

So you pay $400 for an Xbox One and PS4 then you pay for Xbox Live and PSN Plus, then you pay for games via Live or PSN or PSN Now, or your local game store.....Do you see the problem yet?

No? Exactly there is no difference, except of course you don't need to worry about hard drive space or mandatory installs on the Nvidia Shield, just select the game you purchased it starts streaming and your playing.......So even if after the $200 for the Nvidia console, and lets say another $80 for the Grid service, even though Grid's service price wasn't announced yet, then $60 for Witcher 3, that still comes in less than buying a PS4 or X1 with no games and no online service.

By the way Nvidia did a live start up and Streaming gameplay walkthrough of such games like Grid 2 and Witcher 3 running at 60fps, in 1080p at 60hz, and there was no lag, even the guy from CD Projekt could not believe it was streaming Witcher 3 with those settings........IT WORKS!!!

Any disbelievers go to Youtube and watch the Nvidia Shield presentation at GDC for yourselves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Slimmin360 said:
@charizard1605 said:

So you pay $400 for an Xbox One and PS4 then you pay for Xbox Live and PSN Plus, then you pay for games via Live or PSN or PSN Now, or your local game store.....Do you see problem yet?

No? Exactly there is no difference, except of course you don't need to worry about hard drive space or mandatory installs on the Nvidia Shield, just select the game you purchased it starts streaming and your playing.......So even if after the $200 for the Nvidia console, and lets say another $80 for the Grid service, even though Grid's service price wasn't announced yet, then $60 for Witcher 3, that still comes in less than buying a PS4 or X1 with no games and no online service.

By the way Nvidia did a live start up and Streaming gameplay walkthrough of such games like Grid 2 and Witcher 3 running at 60fps, in 1080p at 60hz, and there was no lag, even the guy from CD Projekt could not believe it was streaming Witcher 3 with those settings........IT WORKS!!!

Any disbelievers go to Youtube and watch the Nvidia Shield presentation at GDC for yourselves

So essentially you are okay with giving up COMPLETE control of owning a game? You are okay with laggy gameplay, inconsistent visuals, and spending money on the console, streaming service, AND internet? That is taking one big shot in the mouth.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Slimmin360

@Heirren said:
@Slimmin360 said:
@charizard1605 said:

So you pay $400 for an Xbox One and PS4 then you pay for Xbox Live and PSN Plus, then you pay for games via Live or PSN or PSN Now, or your local game store.....Do you see problem yet?

So essentially you are okay with giving up COMPLETE control of owning a game? You are okay with laggy gameplay, inconsistent visuals, and spending money on the console, streaming service, AND internet? That is taking one big shot in the mouth.

First of all I have great broadband internet service paid for and provided to me by my land lord, so it's free, Secondly Nvidia has visibly shown multiple super computers and servers set up all over the globe to run these games with little to no lag what so ever.

So I am ok with spending money on a console and their Grid gaming service and games sold on that service...YES.

However hypothetically even if all I had to put up with from a console was some occasional lag and glitchy visuals, that is far more tolerable then PSN and Live service hackings or maintenance, and mandatory disc installs and limited hard drive space by a country mile.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Slimmin360:

Little to no lag when there is already monitor and controller lag? And this service....this is pay by cash?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69524 Posts

The logic for why this service is great is disturbingly illogical. It almost reads like an add and an informercial add.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Service fees for GRID are said to be competitive with Xbox Live or PlayStation Now membership. There will be two levels of membership, one allows for streaming at 720p and another at 1080p. It is unclear at this time what the price difference will be between them. It is also unknown the level of content each membership would grant a user access to. For example, membership might include some free games a user can stream for a particular month.

When you buy a game on GRID, you also receive a Steam code for the game (ie. you're purchasing a PC copy of that game).

The console can also stream games on a local network from a PC with an NVIDIA GeForce graphics card.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

...I want to say, off the top, there's no way in heck the Nvidia Shield could ever crush PS4 and One.

That said, Nvidia's shield console is a lot more than meets in the eye. It's an Android console, yeah, but it also will get native (locally playable) versions of games like Metal Gear Rising and Crysis 3. According to Nvidia, it's about twice as powerful as an Xbox 360... which is probably a stretch, but it is more powerful than last gen consoles.

For the games which it is too underpowered to play, it does do this GRID streaming thing, which is a lot like PS Now. This is actually the feature I care least about in the device. I don't think GRID requires you to pay money to get into the streaming service, though. GRID and PS Now are like mirror images of each other, the only difference is GRID plays modern games and Now plays old games (Now will probably play new games, too, eventually).

The third thing Nvidia Shield does is Chromecast. Literally, it's a Chromecast with much faster wifi, so you can beam anything you want to it from your phone or tablet.

The fourth thing the Shield does is stream any PC games you own from your gaming rig, as long as you use an Nvidia graphics card. Hermits always say you can just put your desktop next to your TV, but in reality, most people put their PCs far away from their TV on a desk and don't want to run gigantic HDMI cords across several rooms (at least, I don't). The Gamestream tech is actually the biggest draw for me, being able to stream my PC games to a TV wirelessly anywhere I want.

I'll probably pick one up when it comes out, but not for GRID honestly.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

Alienware Alpha

/thread

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Slimmin360:

NVIDIA X1 has 1 TFLOPS for 16bit FP or 500 GFLOPS for 32bit FP performance.

FLOPS numbers quoted for XBO and PS4 are for 32bit FP.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@lostrib said:

This sounds like when you hyped the OUYA

You couldn't handle an Alienware prebuilt, and now you want to dick around with streaming games?

We've established TC is a helpless moron.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

Lol........wait, you're serious?

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

You probably are one of the few nuts who was on board when MS first came out and announced xbox one with the always online DRM, Kinect always on always watching, personal information collection for sell to 3rd party and no used games policies as well. This looks like something MS would have dreamed up anyway.

I am not going to pay for minute to minute gameplay that is the worst idea ever, that means you'll have to pay any time you want to pay any game. Some people are that stupid but most understand how bad that can turn out. Never give up THAT much control.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

lolno.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Slimmin360

@Heirren said:

@Slimmin360:

Little to no lag when there is already monitor and controller lag? And this service....this is pay by cash?

No monitor or control lag was already stated and proven to be true, and the service is pay by either redeemable cards or credit card.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Slimmin360

@playharderfool said:

You probably are one of the few nuts who was on board when MS first came out and announced xbox one with the always online DRM, Kinect always on always watching, personal information collection for sell to 3rd party and no used games policies as well. This looks like something MS would have dreamed up anyway.

I am not going to pay for minute to minute gameplay that is the worst idea ever, that means you'll have to pay any time you want to pay any game. Some people are that stupid but most understand how bad that can turn out. Never give up THAT much control.

You don't have to pay every time you want to play, just go to the Grid service pick the game you want to buy, then purchase it and start streaming...and from that point on that game will be on your account as being owned and always playable by you....simple as that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Slimmin360 said:
@Heirren said:

@Slimmin360:

No monitor or control lag was already stated and proven to be true, and the service is pay by either redeemable cards or credit card.

I'm not speaking about this device, only, but just in general. Modern display tech has lag. Modern controllers have lag.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@Slimmin360: If you honestly think you are going to consistently get those settings then you have no clue how streaming works. Do you think Nvidia is going to test it in the public then anything other then perfect conditions?

Most people will see massive fluctuations and that's even if they get the 60fps gameplay to begin with.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:

I have spent hours watching videos and reading up on this console, and it is very impressive, especially watching it in action at the 2015 GDC conference.

The new Grid gaming service by Nvidia combined with the new Tegra X1 processor allows this baby to play both older and the newest games, Witcher 3, for example looked and ran great, and it was streaming.

I think Nvidia has really thought of everything, just buy the console for $200, then pay for the Grid online streaming service and buy your games and stream and play.....it's genius that blows away such unrealized ideas like PlayStation now, and I for one hope it really takes off in sales.

lol how can someone possibly be this out of touch with reality? ****.. really makes you wonder

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

Too bad it'll sell like a bucket of aids

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29825 Posts

lol slimmin360 thread.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Multiplayer would be absolutely garbage.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@Heirren said:
@Slimmin360 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Consoles cost more so lets break down costs:

Nividia shield:

• $200
  • $GRID- estimated to be $10-$15

The GRID is setup like Netflix. You are not paying for streaming service then paying again for individual titles. You spend a monthly fee of $10-$15 and have access to its entire library of games. As for lag, it plays Witcher 3 and Crysis 3 max PC settings with little to no fps related issues. Now to be able to play games with minimal lag, you need 15mpbs while I believe 50mbps was the optimal number. Nividia known for overstating requirements and some say even 8 Mbps would work. Regardless, if your internet service provider suffers from down times (mine rarely does) it will lag.

It's in early stages so of course GRID wont get updated frequently whenever ever new titles come out, but if it intends to copy Netflix's business model, after a couple weeks, it will be part of the streaming service. That's what is indicated when you see the words, "Buy Now & Instantly Play" next to Witcher 3.

Consoles well PS4:

• $400-$530 (US-EU-UK)
  • PS plus and PS Now streaming service are separate
  • $60 for PS Now to just play online
  • PS Now streaming service (the equivalent to GRID) is $19.99 a month

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

@Slimmin360: If you honestly think you are going to consistently get those settings then you have no clue how streaming works. Do you think Nvidia is going to test it in the public then anything other then perfect conditions?

Most people will see massive fluctuations and that's even if they get the 60fps gameplay to begin with.

So even at it's worst it'll run better than consoles.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

Android has no games. If I wanted emulation, i'd use my laptop or phone.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Slimmin360:

No, Microsoft has other ideas for Xbox One (far right hand side machine).

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@-God-: No it won't and it will look worse.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56128 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:
@charizard1605 said:

So you pay $400 for an Xbox One and PS4 then you pay for Xbox Live and PSN Plus, then you pay for games via Live or PSN or PSN Now, or your local game store.....Do you see the problem yet?

You miss his point.

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Rikusaki, is that you? I thought Onlive's failure had silenced you forever!

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29825 Posts

@milannoir said:

Rikusaki, is that you? I thought Onlive's failure had silenced you forever!

Nah, Riku is actually fairly intelligent compared to this guy.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Streaming?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#38 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@inb4uall: Chill out with the insults

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

This shit is gonna crash and burn right out of the gate.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

A PC in your living room would be much better than a streaming box.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@flashn00b said:

A PC in your living room would be much better than a streaming box.

Especially now with Steam streaming. Hell, you don't even need the PC in your living room, just the adapter.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@Blabadon said:

@inb4uall: Chill out with the insults

Hilarious coming from you.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#43 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@inb4uall: Whatever, just stop tossing insults like calling people "fucking morons" like those words have no weight behind them. That's tormentos level shit. Don't be so adolescent.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lostrib

@Blabadon said:

@inb4uall: Whatever, just stop tossing insults like calling people "fucking morons" like those words have no weight behind them. That's tormentos level shit. Don't be so adolescent.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@lostrib said:
@Blabadon said:

you're definitely a high level stalker bruh. XD

tonyleo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tonyleo01
Member since 2004 • 2255 Posts

Sounds like a great service on paper like OnLive now known as OffLive. But if it includes Steam key then I don't see a harm in trying it out. Hope there's a free trial.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@Gue1 said:
@lostrib said:
@Blabadon said:

LostRibs is a professional e-stalker.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lostrib

@Jankarcop said:
@Gue1 said:
@lostrib said:
@Blabadon said:

LostRibs is a professional e-stalker.

well that's simply not true

reported for defamation

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Reported as I feel threatened in real life from your behavior and e-bullying.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#50 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

It's not doing s*** to consoles!

Also, lol streaming.