Nintendo's biggest problem is Nintendo

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

here's a pretty good opinion piece from polygon which sums up nintendo's recent failures and impending challenge with the switch. link to the article, full text below:

The video gaming world owes much to Nintendo, something that is easy to forget.

It was Nintendo which, following a crash of interest and sales in video games in the early 80s, managed to not only revive the industry, but reinvent it. The Nintendo Entertainment System brought with it a series of defining firsts. The NES did much to kickstart the medium’s steady rebirth and evolution from children’s hobby to sophisticated, meaningful medium.

But the Nintendo of today faces a seemingly endless stream of struggles. And the company’s biggest challenge as it fights to survive an epic console failure in the Wii U is, it seems, the company itself.

This year couldn’t be a more stark example of Nintendo versus Nintendo.

For each wonderful, innovative bit of tech Nintendo rolls out, Nintendo is right there to make sure there’s something to put people off.

Take just the last month.

Announced in July, the NES Classic Edition is a tiny, almost hand-sized remake of Nintendo’s original 1985 video game console. The perfect replica, only smaller, comes with 30 games built in, a single controller and the ability to plug into a television via HDMI to deliver the classic games in high definition.

The adorable retro remake was instantly embraced as a must-have for the holidays. Fans flocked to stores to pick up the $60 treat. Perhaps too many fans.

The device soon sold out everywhere, and quickly.

Nintendo stepped in to do what Nintendo does best these days: Get in the way of its own success.

The company declined to say how many of the devices were shipping to the U.S. They wouldn’t initially even say where you could buy them. Dedicated video game retailers and big box stories reportedly received as few as 10 or less of the consoles on launch day.

As the scarcity grew, so did the demand.

Nintendo remained diligently silent on where to pick up the consoles, when they would be coming or how many would be delivered.

A substantial grey market bubbled up in the vacuum created by Nintendo’s silence.

Soon, the only reliable place a person could buy the $60 remake was on eBay for $200 to $300 a pop.

As stalwart fans camped overnight in front of stores with hopes of paying the stock price for the tech, eBay was at one point selling one of the devices every 18 seconds.

In the final three weeks of November, Nintendo sold nearly 200,000 of the remakes in the U.S. alone. Or to put it another way, Nintendo sold nearly as many NES Classics in its first three weeks as it did the Wii U console in its last six months. While that might sound like a lot, it’s important to remember that it still doesn’t approach the numbers of a full console’s launch. For instance, Sony sold more than a million PS4s on launch day in North America.)

But what could have been, should have been, a wonderful moment for Nintendo was twisted into a marketing train wreck with fans and parents either having to wait in lines to find out they couldn’t buy the thing or pay four times the asking price on eBay.

Nintendo either greatly mismanaged the manufacturing and distribution of the console, or simply didn’t understand its own market. And it wasn’t the first time, the same exact issues befuddled the launch of Nintendo’s cute little Amiibo figures.

Earlier this week, Nintendo had another chance to win over fans.

The company, once famously reticent about bringing any of its games or characters to the smartphone, released its first full, real game to the iPhone.

Super Mario Run is a game designed to strip down to the basics, the elements of the classic Nintendo Mario games that have moved so many consoles and forged so many happy memories. Mario automatically runs to the right of your phone screen. Players simply have to tap on the screen to tell him to jump to collect coins, traverse the landscape and do little tricks.

It’s a fun, hard-to-put down nostalgia engineseemingly designed to bring Nintendo fans back into the fold. Unless you try to play it anywhere there isn’t a cellphone or WiFi signal.

Nintendo, it seems, showed up to rain on Nintendo’s parade.

The company, which has a history of allowing its fears of piracy to adversely impact the games it creates that dates back to the ’80s, decided the best way to prevent someone from stealing its $10 game was require an online check-in before and after after every little game you play. Don’t have a strong enough connection, or none at all because you’re on a subway, in an elevator, on a plane or simply live out in the country? Then you get a big error message that prevents you from doing anything with the $10 app you just purchased.

There always seems to be that little twist, the dulling of excitement built into Nintendo’s products and games these days. It’s the product, I think, of a company with one foot firmly nailed in the past and a company struggling internally to redefine itself.

And unfortunately, Nintendo needs the goodwill of fans, of players of everyone right now. Following the disaster of the Wii U, the company can’t release another failed console and remain an independent, platform creator. With the Switch, Nintendo’s still secretive hybrid portable and home gaming system, the company has a big chance to not just catch up, but leapfrog the competition.

They have the innovation, they have the games. I just hope that when Nintendo fully unveils its new system next month, and the price they’re asking people to pay for it, that Nintendo doesn’t show up to ruin everything.

Brian Crecente, writing for Polygon
KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

aint no body gonna read that sh*t

we already know Nintendo has been sucking balls for years now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

That was a good read. It highlights some of their frustrating decisions made this year.

They are very hard to understand, sometimes making decisions that just seem completely off the wall.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Nintendos biggest problem is they are constantly 20 years behind the other 2.

I am not even joking when I say this, but all they do is remake the same N64 games in gamecube graphics in HD with an added annoying gimmick claiming innovation.

And they appear to becoming even more lazy/cheap by doubling down on the switch. Instead of porting 2 games, now they can just make 1.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@stuff238:

"I am not even joking when I say this, but all they do is remake the same N64 games in gamecube graphics in HD with an added annoying gimmick claiming innovation."

That's a bit of a stretch... :/

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts
@jumpaction said:

@stuff238:

"I am not even joking when I say this, but all they do is remake the same N64 games in gamecube graphics in HD with an added annoying gimmick claiming innovation."

That's a bit of a stretch... :/

Not much of a stretch at all.

Nintendo will fail.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@doubutsuteki:

I don't think they remake the same games since the N64. Franchises will naturally have their similarities, of course.

Second statement has no relation to the type of games Nintendo create.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By doubutsuteki
@jumpaction said:

@doubutsuteki:

I don't think they remake the same games since the N64. Franchises will naturally have their similarities, of course.

Second statement has no relation to the type of games Nintendo create.

Nope, you're right: It'll fail regardless of games. But if it had some original and innovative games coming out for it, it could do less badly in the marketplace, but right now it seems it doesn't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@doubutsuteki:

We will have to wait and see. All we have to go on so far is a 3 minutes and 30 second demonstration video.

Personally, I'd like to see the Switch work out. I like gaming on the go.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By doubutsuteki
@jumpaction said:

@doubutsuteki:

We will have to wait and see. All we have to go on so far is a 3 minutes and 30 second demonstration video.

Personally, I'd like to see the Switch work out. I like gaming on the go.

Nothing except for a tablet or smartphone with built in buttons is going to cut it for me, I'm afraid. And certainly not something with a custom Nintendo OS on it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@doubutsuteki:

Well, I personally wouldn't know. I don't play many video games on a tablet or smart-phone. I do know there are excellent titles on those platforms but I get my portable fix on the 3DS. It has a blend of meaty games and quick games that I like and the attention it gets from game developers is something that I hope Switch can deliver on.

The OS doesn't matter to me.

What I look for in a portable gaming system is something I can play on the go but something I also want to invest time in even when I am at home.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Polygon, an organisation which declared us gamers dead. It's dead to me.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

Good article, and sums it up pretty accurately.

I wonder if it has to do with Nintendo Japan making too many of the big decisions... maybe they should let the American arm do most of the decision making. I don't know...

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

lol..we'll see. when switch is revealed and released.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@stuff238 said:

I am not even joking when I say this, but all they do is remake the same N64 games in gamecube graphics in HD with an added annoying gimmick claiming innovation.

Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, Link Between Worlds and Breath of the Wild (from what we've seen) are all vastly different games.

Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 & 2 and 3D World are all vastly different games.

I really don't understand how Nintendo has this stigma but Naughty Dog releases the same game with shinier graphics 4 times and people praise the games to kingdom come. Makes ZERO sense.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@stuff238 said:

Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, Link Between Worlds and Breath of the Wild (from what we've seen) are all vastly different games.

Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 & 2 and 3D World are all vastly different games.

I really don't understand how Nintendo has this stigma but Naughty Dog releases the same game with shinier graphics 4 times and people praise the games to kingdom come. Makes ZERO sense.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

The problem with Nintendo is the 120 years old people that are in charge of Nintendo

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@silversix_ said:

The problem with Nintendo is the 120 years old people that are in charge of Nintendo

lol yeah, they just care about money, which is understandable, but it won't sell anymore.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

So much ignorance in this thread...

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Surprisingly well written article especially when you consider the fact its from Polygon (lolPolygon). The Switch will most likely fail to catapult them to relevancy. I predict Western 3rd party abandoning it due to its extremely underpowered hardware. Diehard Nintendo fans will buy and love it but I think the rest of the gaming population will ignore it unfortunately. It's too bad, Nintendo have so many great IPs and innovative ideas when it comes to actual videogames but the people who run Nintendo are stupid as hell. They are too stubborn to change and evolve with the times.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Linked a Polygon article to back up claim.

Credibility instantly lost.

Anyway, Nintendo's market has always been everyone, they want anybody to be able to pick up a video game and have fun.

Good intentions, but video games are a niche market, so it's no wonder people have turned to Microsoft and Sony to cater to their hobby.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iandizion713

@xdude85: Hopefully Nintendo can save us, imagine a world where all the games cater to adult males. What a sad industry it would be. Games designed for everyone die on such devices.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I just want them to keep making their games. They may be few and far between but we still get an amazing game here and there.

People love to hate on NES Classic here. And I completely agree they suck at serving the consumers- they didn't ship enough units, they aren't telling us when there will be more or where to get them. And it's also missing a handful of games. But I'm happy to have mine since day 1. And I can't wait for the day SNES Classic arrives. The library that thing could have gives me goosebumps.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Nintendo is doomed

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 doubutsuteki
@jumpaction said:

@doubutsuteki:

Well, I personally wouldn't know. I don't play many video games on a tablet or smart-phone. I do know there are excellent titles on those platforms but I get my portable fix on the 3DS. It has a blend of meaty games and quick games that I like and the attention it gets from game developers is something that I hope Switch can deliver on.

The OS doesn't matter to me.

What I look for in a portable gaming system is something I can play on the go but something I also want to invest time in even when I am at home.

OK.

I happen to be playing Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma now which was released for PC in addition to the PS Vita and the 3DS.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 iandizion713

@doubutsuteki: That game is awesome on the 3DS cause you can take notes and post to Miiverse.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By doubutsuteki
@iandizion713 said:

@doubutsuteki: That game is awesome on the 3DS cause you can take notes and post to Miiverse.

Why'd you wanna do that?

Will it allow you to play the game in 1920x1080 with x16 MSAA? And in the original japanese dub with subtitles in the english version?

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I'm pretty tired of NIntendo's shitty distribution of their cool stuff. Missed out on stuff like the Majora's Mask new 3DS model and Fire Emblem Fates Special edition. Good thuing I didn't have much interest in the NES Classic or I might have gotten screwed over there too.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#29 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41560 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

I know I stopped taking them seriously after that bullshit Bayonetta 2 review.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iandizion713

@doubutsuteki: Cause its fun and doesnt need those other gimmicks?

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By doubutsuteki
@iandizion713 said:

@doubutsuteki: Cause its fun and doesnt need those other gimmicks?

Haha. You're fun-ny.

Apparently it looks really crappy on the 3DS even compared to on the PS Vita:

http://gematsu.com/2016/04/zero-time-dilemma-ps-vita-3ds-screenshots

There are frame rate dips on the 3DS version, as well, according to this review: http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/zero-time-dilemma-review/

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By princeofshapeir

@nintendoboy16 said:
@DocSanchez said:

I know I stopped taking them seriously after that bullshit Bayonetta 2 review.

@xdude85 said:

Linked a Polygon article to back up claim.

Credibility instantly lost.

Anyway, Nintendo's market has always been everyone, they want anybody to be able to pick up a video game and have fun.

Good intentions, but video games are a niche market, so it's no wonder people have turned to Microsoft and Sony to cater to their hobby.

so are we just going to ignore the article and bash the source? polygon isn't a monolith. they don't sit down the singular entity known as "polygon" and make it write every article. like other sites, including this one, they have some shitty reviews and articles, but it's telling that you aren't bothering to refute what's written in this piece.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 iandizion713

@doubutsuteki: Its still more fun on 3DS.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 doubutsuteki
@iandizion713 said:

I'll take the superior version on the superior platform, thanks.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 iandizion713

@doubutsuteki: Dont fall for the gimmicks mate, 3DS version is superior.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By doubutsuteki
@iandizion713 said:

@doubutsuteki: Dont fall for the gimmicks mate, 3DS version is superior.

And much more expensive, in fact: $39.99 for the game on 3DS - the poorest version. It hasn't even seen a european release on physical media for the 3DS: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/zero-escape-zero-time-dilemma-3ds

https://twitter.com/aksysgames/status/660213398949359617

Otherwise it means importing from the U.S., like if it was 1990.

Why would anyone do that when the game can be had much cheaper in its best version: http://store.steampowered.com/app/311240/

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@doubutsuteki said:
@iandizion713 said:

I'll take the superior version on the superior platform, thanks.

yup, me too. Havent bought a 3Ds game for a couple years now.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 iandizion713

@doubutsuteki: Cause its funner on 3DS, cant put a price on excellence.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 princeofshapeir

don't feed this troll.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 doubutsuteki
@iandizion713 said:

@doubutsuteki: Cause its funner on 3DS, cant put a price on excellence.

I think you meant to say "can't put a price on stupidity". Your stupidity is just that - priceless.

Avatar image for deactivated-587acdd100f19
deactivated-587acdd100f19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-587acdd100f19
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

If you don't like Nintendo, you don't like Nintendo. Wanting them to be like Sony or Microsoft is fucking dumb.

I like Sony for being Sony, I like Nintendo for being Nintendo, and I like Microsoft for being Microsoft.

This fanboy crying isn't getting anyone anywhere. In the time it took to type out your moronic opinions, you could be enjoying a game on a system you like.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17675 Posts

@Ghost_Dub: did you read the article? This is about Nintendo always doing something incredibly obtuse with each right move they make, not comparing them to Sony/MS. Though it'd be great if Nintendo WERE like them in this respect, then we'd have a gaming company that was actually competent in business as well as making games. Thank God for Nintendo's sake the talent of their developers can help offset the imbecility of their upper management. Though apparently, even that will not be enough if these executive dinosaurs don't remove their heads out of their asses and stop shooting themselves in the foot at every possible turn.

Next up:Switch has AO DRM.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@doubutsuteki:

I heard great things about that series but I haven't had the chance to play it yet.

Currently playing Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies and Pokemon Moon on 3DS.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-587acdd100f19

@MirkoS77: You're suggesting Sony and Microsoft are both perfect in the consumer's eyes? That's absolutely laughable. Boy, the things cows and lemmings say here are quite fantastical.

Those game companies have sold their soul to vicious third party companies who put out 90 percent crap these days. Now, I'm in no way saying Nintendo are any better, but are stupid in other ways. At least their first party titles (for the most part) are of much higher quality than their console competitors.

Sony and Microsoft have a large base of followers, and they can sell a lot of systems to these followers, but what have they actually done right, except tying software to accounts instead of systems? Nintendo have said they are changing to that formula with the Switch. Achievements and trophies? Those aren't necessary for gaming, most pc gamers think of Steam achievements as an afterthought. Paid online? Yeah, pc gamers have rejected that practice as well.

All you're really left with is a cultuistic following of semi-brainwashed consumers and fans who will buy whatever systems Sony and Microsoft put out. They sell well. Woohoo, a lot of things sell well that are crap, which proves consumers aren't always the smartest of people. They follow stupid trends and simply like what's popular. At any time their success could change overnight like any consumer brand.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

After seeing the shortlived but huge success of Pokemon Go I'm surprised Nintendo doesn't make their own version for phones ... one that actually has good gameplay in the long term. Would be a cash cow for them. Seriously, license Pokemon Go and make a sequel that mixes in the gameplay quality of actual Nintendo Pokemon games.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@Ghost_Dub: Where did he suggest they were perfect?

Everything you're saying about Sony and MS, Nintendo wants that crap, as you call it, on their console. Nintendo announced they same partners as the other two and hope they still around to make the Switch sell. Nintendo is selling it soul too by your definition. The PS4 and X1 are not crap, they are consoles and the Switch being portable isn't any different. Just a console, less powerful, but still just a console. I think Nintendo has the cult following out of the three. Hell, most Sony and X1 owners love Nintendo if I had to guess, but Nintendo let them down over last two generations. Gamers want Nintendo games and great third parties on one console.

Hipster, down with the establishment.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DocSanchez

@nintendoboy16: Infusing highly questionable politics into a review renders it void. There are things to say about morality but that review is like giving the review of a car to a person who objects to fossil fuels and spends the whole review discussing climate change. Stick to the game.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DocSanchez

@princeofshapeir: Yes I'm going to ignore everything polygon says because its official policy was to attack gamers and our culture. I don't need their opinions, and I don't need their site. I know games better than the majority of people especially the hipsters posing as serious reviewers on sites like these.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

For all the good Nintendo has done for the gaming industry, I don't think they are necessary anymore. They simply don't make products the majority of gamers care for and don't seem to have a desire to change. They peaked during the SNES era and have headed towards a downward spiral ever since. If Nintendo announced they were getting out of the video game industry tomorrow I think most would be able to move on quite fast.

The sad truth is that Nintendo is just a shadow of its former self. Its a hard reality to accept given how great they use to be.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-587acdd100f19

@flyincloud1116 said:

@Ghost_Dub: Where did he suggest they were perfect?

Everything you're saying about Sony and MS, Nintendo wants that crap, as you call it, on their console. Nintendo announced they same partners as the other two and hope they still around to make the Switch sell. Nintendo is selling it soul too by your definition. The PS4 and X1 are not crap, they are consoles and the Switch being portable isn't any different. Just a console, less powerful, but still just a console. I think Nintendo has the cult following out of the three. Hell, most Sony and X1 owners love Nintendo if I had to guess, but Nintendo let them down over last two generations. Gamers want Nintendo games and great third parties on one console.

Hipster, down with the establishment.

I'm always seeing Nintendo get heavy amounts of criticism, and outside of the cow and lemming war with each other, both Sony and Microsoft get free passes on the shit they do, especially in the mainstream media.

What you're saying makes no sense, because what I'm seeing from Nintendo absolutely is nothing like PS4 or XB1 with the Switch. They are doing something totally different, something desperately needed in this stagnating industry.

It's not surprising at all to see morons concerning themselves more with power than fresh games. If I'm a hipster for wanting change and originality, you're a corporate slave for licking the establishment's boots.

I mean, are you really content with games taking a decade to develop, or and endless sea of annual rehashes, sequels and remakes?