Nintendo: We region-lock because Japanese games aren't for you

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

So what if it was region free? What am I gonna do, import a bunch of games from other countries that I dont want?

Its a wii u, it isnt like the system has good games out there anywhere in the world.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]The DS was region free, wasn't it? They do this because they think it protects profit margins of particular releases.Nintendo_Ownes7

All Nintendo handhelds were region free until the 3DS I believe. Nintendo are full of ****.

Actually the DSi wasn't region free; But the DSi was the first Nintendo handheld with an online store to download DSiware titles.

That is an interesting observation.

If it was region-free, couldn't you just make an NA account as a European to take advantage of the weak US dollar? And avoid tax?

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]The DS was region free, wasn't it? They do this because they think it protects profit margins of particular releases.Nintendo_Ownes7

All Nintendo handhelds were region free until the 3DS I believe. Nintendo are full of ****.

Actually the DSi wasn't region free; But the DSi was the first Nintendo handheld with an online store to download DSiware titles.

Those were only certain games that featured DSI enhanced features. The vast majority of DS games weren't region locked. I don't remember my DSI system being fully region locked for retail titles. Online stores are a completely different beast.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

They are right, japanese culture does trump our inferior way of life

Sweenix

I know right?

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

Deal with it

SuperFlakeman
Blackbond was right. :o
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

They are right, japanese culture does trump our inferior way of life

GD1551

I know right?

Dude, they have vending machines for underwear and boxers...what do we have...freedom? :?
lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts

They region lock possibly due to laws in different countries. For example in Japan, little girls getting violated (or something like that) in video games are totally okay, meanwhile in EU or US it's not. I think that's the reason.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#58 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"] All Nintendo handhelds were region free until the 3DS I believe. Nintendo are full of ****.FlamesOfGrey

Those were only certain games that featured DSI enhanced features. The vast majority of DS games weren't region locked. I don't remember my DSI system being fully region locked for retail titles. Online stores are a completely different beast.

I'm talking about the online store where you can download titles like Mighty Flip Champs, Flametail, X-Scape, and some other games that were only available through the Nintendo Shop Channel.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#59 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i-dont-give-a-shit-morgan-freeman-gif.jp

bravely defualut and project x zone were localised...just need fantasy life.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]Actually the DSi wasn't region free; But the DSi was the first Nintendo handheld with an online store to download DSiware titles.

Nintendo_Ownes7

I'm talking about the online store where you can download titles like Mighty Flip Champs, Flametail, X-Scape, and some other games that were only available through the Nintendo Shop Channel.

Yes, I know. I was talking about retail titles. Sony and Microsoft don't have region free online stores either (You can get around this though). It's completely different issue then retail titles being region free.
resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

So they can't get games from Japan to America but instead make them Japan exclusive. No wonder why Nintendo is on a set of failure

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#62 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Once again Nintendo lags behind. I'm surprised their computer systems aren't using punch cards. clyde46
I don't think many of these guys know what punch cards are.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#63 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Honestly, the real reason they region lock is that titles in Japan are ridiculously over priced and locking their console is the best way they can prevent the Japanese Citizens from importing cheaper versions.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Region locks blow. I hope somebody cracks the 3DS and Wii U to enable me to import games. I have over 150 PAL/Japan imports in my collection for various systems and am not happy about that option being taken away for new systems.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#65 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Honestly, the real reason they region lock is that titles in Japan are ridiculously over priced and locking their console is the best way they can prevent the Japanese Citizens from importing cheaper versions.

Lionheart08
I would take that answer over parental and cultural BS
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
The DS was region free, wasn't it? They do this because they think it protects profit margins of particular releases.foxhound_fox
But in reality, 3rd party developers left the platform due to poor sales, which then in turn led to even worse sales. It's a downward spiral, unfortuantely. If they had just sold more units from the beginning, the system would have more games, and the console would have a much larger presence in the market. Of course, the price didn't help, either. Which is something that Microsoft should've noticed. I imagine that mandatory Kinect is going to kill console sales...
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
Seems like a load of horseshit to me. Nintendo has always made their handhelds region free until the 3DS, and every Sony system since the PSP back in 2004 has been region free. Nintendo is using archaic logic to justify this when they themselves have already set a precedent for not having it so I'm not buying this at all.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

"Cultural acceptance"...

If you want "cultural acceptance", start pumping out CoD clones...

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 nameless12345

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

He really needs to go. 

SuperFlakeman

Because his successor would instantly get rid of legion lock, bring back exploration to Mario/Zelda, order EAD/Retro to create new AAA IPs, put Pokemon on iOS and of course F-Zero + Starfox for our selfish needs.

Totally.

Selfish needs?

Star Fox 64 sold over 4 million and F-Zero X over 1 million...

Also, Twilight Princess sold twice more than Skyward Sword did, despite being a launch title with relatively low install base. (whereas SS sold half less on a system with 100 million users...)

MajorPain10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 MajorPain10
Member since 2007 • 524 Posts

Of course, all of this is being taken out of context.  The interview with Iwata took place before the Xbox Team reversed its policies on region locking, as stated by IGN (the article on Gamespot is quoting that article).  This "defending" took place before Nintendo became the only manufacturer with region locked systems.  We should wait to hear NEW feedback on whether or not these policies will change.

Edit:

"During E3, I had a chance to ask Nintendo global president Satoru Iwata about region-locking. My question was bundled with our discussion of digital rights management and used games, coming at the last minute during our wide-ranging conversation, which also covered Nintendo's future, struggles and more."

"Unfortunately this conversation came before Microsoft completely reversed its restrictive digital rights approach, which now leaves Nintendo as the most conservative hardware manufacturer."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/nintendos-president-discusses-region-locking

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

That's a little silly. I'm glad that the DS was region-free, since I own at least two games from other regions, with one of them being my favorite DS games. Hopefully, they will change their mind about it (but I'm not banking on it).

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#72 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

bbkkristian

I would take that answer over parental and cultural BS

It's the same reason why Anime is so ridiculous over priced. In Japan, they're typically released in 2 episode sets at a time for an insane price. By time they come to America, they also have to be heavily priced in order to combat importing. So yeah, it doesn't surprise me that a Japanese company that also produce all their first party games would region lock their console.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#73 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

"From some people's perspective, it might seem like a kind of restriction. However, we hope people can appreciate the fact that we're selling our products worldwide," Iwata said. 

I interpret Iwata's statement as be grateful for what you get, which is a rude and stubborn thing to say because A) Nintendo is not a perfect game company or the only one and B) There are region-free systems which use rating systems by region like the ESRB for America and the ACB for Austrailia. I also do not consider the rest of his explanation good enough because he talked as if Nintendo's Japanese-only games would not be accepted worldwide because of the effects of Japanese culture influencing those games. At best, it is being timid or paranoid and at worst it is a remnant of Japan's former isolationism.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

He really needs to go. 

SuperFlakeman

Because his successor would instantly get rid of legion lock, bring back exploration to Mario/Zelda, order EAD/Retro to create new AAA IPs, put Pokemon on iOS and of course F-Zero + Starfox for our selfish needs.

Totally.

Wanting a new Star Fox and F Zero isnt selfish. Fvck off with that nonsense
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"][QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]He really needs to go. nameless12345
Because his successor would instantly get rid of legion lock, bring back exploration to Mario/Zelda, order EAD/Retro to create new AAA IPs, put Pokemon on iOS and of course F-Zero + Starfox for our selfish needs.Totally.

Selfish needs?Star Fox 64 sold over 4 million and F-Zero X over 1 million...Also, Twilight Princess sold twice more than Skyward Sword did, despite being a launch title with relatively low install base. (whereas SS sold half less on a system with 100 million users...) 

So what you are saying is that EAD should ignore their own creative vision for Zelda, make it more in line with your taste, as it will sell better that way. Yeah ok, that makes perfect sense.

You just say that as it suits your agenda, but when Resident Evil & others changed (dumbed down, hollywood-ified) in order to increase their fanbase, I bet you didn't like that.

Man up and just accept that Aonuma's Zelda is different from your ideals. Don't use the sales threat argument like a spoiled brat. It's immature.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
It's ****ing BULLLLLL ****
DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#77 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts
Region lock, region free, doesn't matter, no one's gonna buy it.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"][QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]He really needs to go. Capitan_Kid
Because his successor would instantly get rid of legion lock, bring back exploration to Mario/Zelda, order EAD/Retro to create new AAA IPs, put Pokemon on iOS and of course F-Zero + Starfox for our selfish needs.Totally.

Wanting a new Star Fox and F Zero isnt selfish. Fvck off with that nonsense

There are fans of Pikmin, Donkey Kong Country, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion, Punch Out etc. that had been ignored for over a decade before new entries came along.

Nintendo is rotating their IPs. Be less selfish, let us fans of these games get what we want, then maybe in 5-10 years it's time for F-Zero.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"][QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]Because his successor would instantly get rid of legion lock, bring back exploration to Mario/Zelda, order EAD/Retro to create new AAA IPs, put Pokemon on iOS and of course F-Zero + Starfox for our selfish needs.Totally.SuperFlakeman

Selfish needs?Star Fox 64 sold over 4 million and F-Zero X over 1 million...Also, Twilight Princess sold twice more than Skyward Sword did, despite being a launch title with relatively low install base. (whereas SS sold half less on a system with 100 million users...) 

So what you are saying is that EAD should ignore their own creative vision for Zelda, make it more in line with your taste, as it will sell better that way. Yeah ok, that makes perfect sense.

You just say that as it suits your agenda, but when Resident Evil & others changed (dumbed down, hollywood-ified) in order to increase their fanbase, I bet you didn't like that.

Man up and just accept that Aonuma's Zelda is different from your ideals. Don't use the sales threat argument like a spoiled brat. It's immature.

No, I didn't say that at all.

I'm just tired of all the "it wouldn't sell" comments because that clearly wouldn't be the case if the games are good and advertised well.

You have to set your priorities straight - do you play games for your enjoyment or do you play them because they happen to be popular?

I know which side I'm on but you decide yourself...

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

Weaboos, top that nintendo, lots of weaboos

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

LOL, they either expect us to believe that crap or they believe it themselves. Both are sad.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"][QUOTE="nameless12345"] Selfish needs?Star Fox 64 sold over 4 million and F-Zero X over 1 million...Also, Twilight Princess sold twice more than Skyward Sword did, despite being a launch title with relatively low install base. (whereas SS sold half less on a system with 100 million users...) nameless12345

No, I didn't say that at all.I'm just tired of all the "it wouldn't sell" comments because that clearly wouldn't be the case if the games are good and advertised well.You have to set your priorities straight - do you play games for your enjoyment or do you play them because they happen to be popular?I know which side I'm on but you decide yourself...

You don't seem to have the capability to comprehend the meaning of subjectivity.

SS is my favorite Zelda game, the one closest to my ideals. I would also put Spirit Tracks as the best handheld entry of the series.

I think ALttP is flat out boring to re-play as the sense of discovery is gone, meanwhile I'm having just as fun replaying the modern Zeldas as the first time.

You, like me, have an opinion, that's it. Stop painting your view as somehow more superior. Even if I'm outnumbered 1:10 on message boards; that doesn't mean I'm less right. We have equal standing.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

LOL, they either expect us to believe that crap or they believe it themselves. Both are sad.

Whiteblade999

Nintendo doesnt care if we believe it or not, they have their way of doing things and they arent going to change unless they have absolutely no other choice. Thats the biggest reason why Nintendo is losing money right now, no respect for their customers and a failure to adapt to a changing industry.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]LOL, they either expect us to believe that crap or they believe it themselves. Both are sad.crimsonman1245
Nintendo doesnt care if we believe it or not, they have their way of doing things and they arent going to change unless they have absolutely no other choice. Thats the biggest reason why Nintendo is losing money right now, no respect for their customers and a failure to adapt to a changing industry.

1. 3DS adapted better than PSV, wouldn't you say?

2. The main factor for loosing money was the strong Yen, due to the economic crisis. All Japanese companies suffered from the effect of currency rates.

3. Second factor for loosing money was Nintendo's massive R&D investment that took place during the transition period. Nintendo has exponentially expanded the number of employees, meanwhile Sony is closing/merging studios left & right.

You are just another clueless being.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 SuperFlakeman

Inb4 "lol Wii U"

Its furst year library, both 1st and 3rd party, is ten times better than 3DS'. Just wiki it if you don't believe me.

Pilotwings, Steel Diver, OoT 3D, Starfox 64 3D, Nintendogs... + cats

If 3DS is a beast, then Wii U is godzilla.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"][QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]LOL, they either expect us to believe that crap or they believe it themselves. Both are sad.SuperFlakeman

1. 3DS adapted better than PSV, wouldn't you say?

2. The main factor for loosing money was the strong Yen, due to the economic crisis. All Japanese companies suffered from the effect of currency rates.

3. Second factor for loosing money was Nintendo's massive R&D investment that took place during the transition period. Nintendo has exponentially expanded the number of employees, meanwhile Sony is closing/merging studios left & right.

You are just another clueless being.

They were profitable from NES-Wii, they never had a single year where they lost money, now they've lost money two years in a row. You can spin that however you want, and a clueless being? Thats not very nice.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"][QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

Man up and just accept that Aonuma's Zelda is different from your ideals. Don't use the sales threat argument like a spoiled brat. It's immature.SuperFlakeman

No, I didn't say that at all.I'm just tired of all the "it wouldn't sell" comments because that clearly wouldn't be the case if the games are good and advertised well.You have to set your priorities straight - do you play games for your enjoyment or do you play them because they happen to be popular?I know which side I'm on but you decide yourself...

You don't seem to have the capability to comprehend the meaning of subjectivity.

SS is my favorite Zelda game, the one closest to my ideals. I would also put Spirit Tracks as the best handheld entry of the series.

I think ALttP is flat out boring to re-play as the sense of discovery is gone, meanwhile I'm having just as fun replaying the modern Zeldas as the first time.

You, like me, have an opinion, that's it. Stop painting your view as somehow more superior. Even if I'm outnumbered 1:10 on message boards; that doesn't mean I'm less right. We have equal standing.

I don't mind if you like SS.

Infact, I would agree it's a well-made game.

Of course, my ideal Zelda game would look different. (more in line with MM)

I'm simply poiting out that if sales are priority, they should take the series in a different direction, more akin to TP as that sold more than SS.

If they wanted to attract a broader audience with SS, they did a poor job.

But if SS is the direction they feel suits best their vision with the franchise, then so be it.

I never said that they should make something because *I* would want so.

I'm simply expressing my views regarding the series and the direction it is taking, which, I think, is nothing wrong with.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts
Bring back the power glove and Robbie
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#91 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

Nintendo knows what we want.

Michael0134567
and what we don't want.
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#92 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

As i see it if some one wants to play a Japanese game in NA they would be able to. I know a guy whos been learning Japanese from grade school and he wont be able to play japanese games on wii u unless he buys a japanese console as well.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#93 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

What the f*ck is that supposed to even mean?

Plenty of westerners love that Japanese flavor, The fact it's so off the wall and weird most of the time is part of the charm!