xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#101 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@nintendoboy16: sure - but that's their problem. It's their job to offer us products that are competitively priced. We aren't obligated to buy something that's a bad deal to us just because it's a good deal to them. Hence the grumbling in this thread you're ridiculing

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#102 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Get the **** out of here Nintendo 😂

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#103  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts
@goldenelementxl said:

@nintendoboy16: Yeah. I posted one of those tweets in this thread, and everyone who posted after just ignored it and continued bitching.

Nintendo likely had to play nice with Sega if they wanted to expand the library in the future. They’ll likely see how this goes, and if the expanded service does well, maybe we’ll see Saturn and Dreamcast games in the future. And who knows, maybe Nintendo didn’t like the sales of their own VC titles? Everybody saying “why won’t they just let me buy the games I want?” are likely full of shit. If they actually bought the games they wanted in the past, we wouldn’t be where we are today. We know NSO is pulling a good revenue number. From what we know so far, NSO is making more revenue than Game Pass ffs…

Just another example of crying on message boards not matching reality.

I saw this from someone who supported VC and still does until it dies and NEVER bought into NSO. This meme will never NOT be relevant!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#104 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69474 Posts

@nintendoboy16: If VC succeeded, do you honestly believe Nintendo would have allowed gamers access to their previously purchased games?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#105 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@goldenelementxl: The reason people ignored it and continued bitching is because it doesn't matter one bit to me how much Sega was paid or others, what matters to me (and everyone else) is how nintendo is raping their customer base and yet a few fanboys (you, Nintendoboy, meso, etc) are all like, please Nintendo no lube this time!!!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Pedro

@vfighter said:

@goldenelementxl: The reason people ignored it and continued bitching is because it doesn't matter one bit to me how much Sega was paid or others, what matters to me (and everyone else) is how nintendo is raping their customer base and yet a few fanboys (you, Nintendoboy, meso, etc) are all like, please Nintendo no lube this time!!!

No lube this time? 🤔 You mean, don't EVER use lube Nintendo. 😈

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 nintendoboy16

@Pedro said:

@nintendoboy16: If VC succeeded, do you honestly believe Nintendo would have allowed gamers access to their previously purchased games?

Likely not. But that's dead and NSO lives. Once NSO dies, don't be surprised if Nintendo never bothers with classics ever again.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Pedro

@nintendoboy16 said:

Likely not. But that's dead and NSO lives. Once NSO dies, don't be surprised if Nintendo never bothers with classics ever again.

So, whether VC succeeded or not, Nintendo would have screwed over gamers.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#109 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

@Pedro: Nintendo is smart to limit access on previously purchased games. Just look what happens on PC majority of my old games don’t work anymore. Sure I have them, but that shit broke.

Look at Microsoft. Still don’t have access to all my old Xbox games? Wtf you doing Microsoft, you had one job. Where the heck is my 100% BC?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By nintendoboy16
@Pedro said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

"Likely", who knows, but again, irrelevant because VC is dead! And that is how we're here now.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#111 pillarrocks  Online
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

Hard pass for me, I own Sega Genesis Classics Collection and Rare Replay on Xbox One. I have Nintendo Online membership and to be honest, I hardly use it so cancelled it. For $20, I enjoyed playing SNES and NES games though wish the library for those games was better.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#112 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44166 Posts

That excuse of the cost being due to licensing from Sega is bs. If Sega wanted that much money to justify this cost then Nintendo should have told Sega to go **** themselves. No one was expecting Genesis support, it would have never been missed. If they wanted to charge this much then they should have added support for a bunch more of other systems such as Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, GameCube, etc. right out of the gate.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#113 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@Pedro: Nintendo is smart to limit access on previously purchased games. Just look what happens on PC majority of my old games don’t work anymore. Sure I have them, but that shit broke.

Okay.... So you don't know the difference between old PC games and how emulators work. No worries, but the reason old PC games don't run on a modern OS would not affect how Nintendo delivers these games via emulation. We have proof because plenty of people have modded their Switch for homebrew and the games work just fine.

Nintendo should have just put the effort in to rebuild their VC front end for ARM so it can run on the Switch. They should have honored their customers past purchases and allowed them to download the games they already have a license for. Instead they pull this shit and you wonder why it's getting harder for people to take them seriously.

This is just Nintendo's typical disconnect from their fanbase.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@Pedro said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Screwed over gamers? This is a business. And consumers, “vote with their wallets.” The market is dictating these moves, and what Nintendo does makes money. Lots of money. If consumers didn’t want these things, they wouldn’t buy them. Just because you value $50 the way you do, doesn’t mean a Nintendo fan with disposable income has an issue with paying $50 to play these games on Switch.

This is a topic for another thread, but look at the services and subscription revenue of the big 3. Game Pass is clearly the most “consumer friendly,” yet it brings in the least revenue. (Most likely due to install base. The PC and mobile adoption of Game Pass doesn’t seem to be moving the needle yet). And this is before the costs are figured in. Profit margins are in the red for Game Pass, while PS and Nintendo are making money on their less “consumer friendly“ services.

So ultimately, gamers need to respond to these “consumer friendly“ services, or they will be abandoned. See Nintendoboy‘s meme above. It rings true generation after generation. You all love to preach, “vote with your wallet.” Well the message board community seems to be absent at the polls… Spend money or watch the hobby continue to change in a way that “screws over gamers.”

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Pedro
@goldenelementxl said:

Screwed over gamers? This is a business. And consumers, “vote with their wallets.” The market is dictating these moves, and what Nintendo does makes money. Lots of money. If consumers didn’t want these things, they wouldn’t buy them. Just because you value $50 the way you do, doesn’t mean a Nintendo fan with disposable income has an issue with paying $50 to play these games on Switch.

This is a topic for another thread, but look at the services and subscription revenue of the big 3. Game Pass is clearly the most “consumer friendly,” yet it brings in the least revenue. (Most likely due to install base. The PC and mobile adoption of Game Pass doesn’t seem to be moving the needle yet). And this is before the costs are figured in. Profit margins are in the red for Game Pass, while PS and Nintendo are making money on their less “consumer friendly“ services.

So ultimately, gamers need to respond to these “consumer friendly“ services, or they will be abandoned. See Nintendoboy‘s meme above. It rings true generation after generation. You all love to preach, “vote with your wallet.” Well the message board community seems to be absent at the polls… Spend money or watch the hobby continue to change in a way that “screws over gamers.”

Stating "this is business" does not negate being screwed over and nor does it justify it. I am not sure what was the point of the first paragraph. It is not like it is uncommon for people do things that are not in their best interest. Just look at the support for exclusives and the need for having multiple systems. In addition to the nonsense behind "consoles need identity" as a validation to the anti-consumer practices that is just the norm in gaming. Don't get me wrong, I get your point that was laid out in the sequential paragraphs which I hold no issue with. 😊

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
@xantufrog said:

@nintendoboy16: sure - but that's their problem. It's their job to offer us products that are competitively priced.

What? Since when? This is the entitlement so many point out when discussing gamers.

Don’t want it, don’t buy it. That’s the only way to make a change. But hey, gamers have like a .001% success rate after saying that, so I get the frustration. But Nintendo makes compelling hardware and software. THATS their job. The pricing just increases or decreases their profits. Consumers have shown that they’ll pay a premium for things they want. Being competitively priced has little to do with success.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Mesome713

@goldenelementxl: We’ll said. This person gets it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Archangel3371

The concept of “voting with your wallet” has an inherent flaw. When the goal is making the most money then you don’t necessarily need to cater to the most people.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#119  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@goldenelementxl: that's LITERALLY the job of a business. Wtf is your problem? What do you care if some of us find that a terrible value?

You keep talking about "don't like it, don't buy it" - I completely agree and that's the point of my post. Meanwhile you're on here yelling at people in the same breath for "not liking it and not buying it"

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@goldenelementxl: So no lube for you and wrapped in sandpaper, got that Nintendo?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Mesome713

@vfighter: Hey, what’s fun is fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@xantufrog said:

@goldenelementxl: that's LITERALLY the job of a business. Wtf is your problem? What do you care if some of us find that a terrible value?

You keep talking about "don't like it, don't buy it" - I completely agree and that's the point of my post. Meanwhile you're on here yelling at people in the same breath for "not liking it and not buying it"

Apple makes products with competitive prices? Tesla? Rolex? Hell, forget the premium products. Sony, LG, Samsung? The biggest, most successful companies make compelling products and they push the boundaries of what consumers will pay. They can do this because they are things consumers want. And the prices they charge allow them to reinvest and continue to push the boundaries of what is possible with their products

We know the driving force behind the pricing is licensing. Don’t care about Sega and N64 games you already own? Great! You can ignore the expanded service. If your $4.17 a month is more valuable to you than what’s being offered here, then you do you. But many folks will pay that $4.17 a month, or $50 a year to entertain themselves.

But the job of a business is to competitively price their products? I couldn’t disagree more. I would argue it’s not in the top 3 things they need to do. They set out to prove to consumers that they need them. Not the other way around.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 nintendoboy16

@Archangel3371: Capitalism 101

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Archangel3371

@nintendoboy16: Umm, ok? And?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#125 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Just reading some damage control/justifications to why the price is what it is, is melting my brain. Nintendo fans are really something.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Archangel3371 said:

The concept of “voting with your wallet” has an inherent flaw. When the goal is making the most money then you don’t necessarily need to cater to the most people.

Exactly. And even then, Nintendo is catering to more people than they’re not. The price isn’t the driving force. It’s the content. More people than not are gonna see the N64 and Genesis games and that’s gonna be their reason to purchase. Not the price tag. Nostalgia is a hell of a marketing tool. And the folks that grew up on those systems are of the age to be able to afford a few bucks a month.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Archangel3371

@goldenelementxl: I grew up playing all those games, I’m as nostalgic as anyone going and have purchased numerous games based on nostalgia and will continue to in the future. I can also most certainly afford this price, I very much believe that most can also. It’s not about being able to afford this, it’s about the value for what you get here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Archangel3371 said:

@goldenelementxl: I grew up playing all those games, I’m as nostalgic as anyone going and have purchased numerous games based on nostalgia and will continue to in the future. I can also most certainly afford this price, I very much believe that most can also. It’s not about being able to afford this, it’s about the value for what you get here.

And taking N64 games in the car, bathroom, or outside, is more than worth it for most. Some of these games appeared on the DS and/or 3DS. But the Switch screen provides a worthy upgrade. I’m not sure if I’ll get it or not. But the price won’t be the reason I don’t.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 nintendoboy16

@Archangel3371: That's all how the companies will listen to unless there's a better tactic.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 nintendoboy16

@hardwenzen: There are those who understand it, but still won't buy it. I'm one of them. I personally HATE NSO.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

30 dollars more a year for mario kart 64 star fox 64 and OOT bunch of crap genesis games and I already own mario 64 with the all stars collection

THIS IS CRAP nintendo i could buy those 3 64 games for 30 bux and not have to rent them every year.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 hardwenzen

I am pretty excited to see what kind of BS Nintendo will offer us with the launch of the Switch 2. Their overconfidence as of late is destroying EVEN Sony.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

screw them.

like really hard.

back up game save bs they do to.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Archangel3371

@goldenelementxl: Well you’ll get no disagreement from me about value to different people being subjective.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Archangel3371

@nintendoboy16: Agreed which was kind of my point in the flaw in the concept of voting with your wallet.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@goldenelementxl said:

So you’re all gonna ignore the reason the cost is what it is, just so you can bitch and call Nintendo greedy? Got it…

It's like people forgot the bigger reason than an Animal Crossing DLC: licensing. SEGA and Microsoft probably wanted a pretty big sum.

From Emily Rogers:

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand NSO, but this is likely the bigger reason for the huge hike.

I agree with your conclusion, but then that raises the question: how much smaller would the price increase have been if the Genesis platform wasn’t included. I don’t think anyone was really calling for it, considering the existence of that Genesis collection and sundry a la carte Sega Ages releases.

Of the initial batch of N64 titles, only Winback is 3rd party, meaning Koei Tecmo would get a taste. Even including Banjo in the “coming soon” titles wouldn’t force jacking up the price so much.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1853 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Said it one million times, and will repeat it once more. Nintendo is the Japanese EA, and with a different strategy of milking their playerbase.

I need to know what the cultist @luxuryheart thinks of this😊

??? Well since you care so much about my opinion, I'm not getting this. But I've always criticized Nintendo's online because I find it to be the worst thing about them. But since you're so obsessed with me, you knew that already.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:
@Archangel3371 said:

And taking N64 games in the car, bathroom, or outside, is more than worth it for most. Some of these games appeared on the DS and/or 3DS. But the Switch screen provides a worthy upgrade. I’m not sure if I’ll get it or not. But the price won’t be the reason I don’t.

Eh, doubtful.

I doubt any of these games will be optimized for 16:9 screens, like any two-bit emulator would do.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 hardwenzen

@luxuryheart said:
@hardwenzen said:

Said it one million times, and will repeat it once more. Nintendo is the Japanese EA, and with a different strategy of milking their playerbase.

I need to know what the cultist @luxuryheart thinks of this😊

??? Well since you care so much about my opinion, I'm not getting this. But I've always criticized Nintendo's online because I find it to be the worst thing about them. But since you're so obsessed with me, you knew that already.

I thank you very much for your very humble opinion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

:P

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

No thanks. I see no reason to pay an extra $30 a year to rent games from 1997 when I can play N64/Genesis/Game Boy and GBA games for free right now if I actually wanted to play them.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

emulation ftw

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#143 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
@mesome713 said:

Sold! I need all of it. I love Animal Crossing and old games.

You can buy the Animal Crossing expansion as a standalone purchase, no subscription needed.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#144 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Good to see N64 classics coming to their online. Its very ironic to see Sega in bed with Nintendo considering all the mud slinging in the generation 4 days. Nintendo has the Switch sales to justify the price hike. Seems their annual price is higher than PlayStation Plus annual rate.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#145  Edited By Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

And they will pay. On mass.

No arguments here. They will pay for it.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#146 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I do not care about the licensing fee's Nintendo is paying for the Genesis games. Have an option to not get the Genesis games since they are available in collections. My problem isn't the games they are offering, it is that they charge for their awful service in the first place. I played prior to them starting to charge and it was garbage. I figured it would get better after the paywall went up. Tried the free trial and it was exactly the same. Swiftly cancelled. At least MS and Sony offer good services for the price and give games that aren't 5-7 generations old. I wish people wouldn't subscribe to this so Nintendo would have no choice but to restructure their online. Unfortunately, there are people who are actually defending this.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Shieeeeeeet, 75$ for the family plan... don't know about that.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

hard pass here.