Next generation console hardware.

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dynafrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Dynafrom
Member since 2003 • 1027 Posts
[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="Phazevariance"]

Considering that the process for MS and SOny is just beginning, i'd say they will have technology that is top of the line today, and release it in 2014, which by then it will not be top of the line. This is what they did with the 360 and PS3, especially in terms of the video cards. I'd be satisfied with a 580gtx in my console (or dual 580's!) PCs are always going to be more advanced but consoles seem to control the gaming graphics limitations.

CwlHeddwyn
360 had the best single gpu at the time of it's release >.>

it did but it was nerfed by a 128-bit databus on the RAM.

The 128bit bus is fine when you consider that games were rendered @ 1280x720.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#102 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Considering that the process for MS and SOny is just beginning, i'd say they will have technology that is top of the line today, and release it in 2014, which by then it will not be top of the line. This is what they did with the 360 and PS3, especially in terms of the video cards. I'd be satisfied with a 580gtx in my console (or dual 580's!) PCs are always going to be more advanced but consoles seem to control the gaming graphics limitations.

Phazevariance
A single GTX 580 consumes a little over 500 watts, lulz.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#103 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]

You know what I want in the next-gen systems?

NO OVERHEATING!

rpgs_shall_rule

Then don't expect top of the line hardware. Also, I think some people underestimate how powerful cards around the 5770 range really are.

Is it too much to ask for a console whose CPU and GPU won't become desoldered after a few years (or months) though? The failure rate for the fat Xbox 360s and fat PS3s this gen was more than a little alarming. The very least they can do is at least design cases that have efficient intake/output airflow. With the fat 360 you essentially had these 2 dinky little fans doing all the work, and with the fat PS3 you only had one big fan doing all the work. Open up a well ventilated gaming PC though, and there are fans everywhere. Is it too much to ask for dedicated fans on the CPU and GPU heatsinks on the next batch of systems?