NEW Backward Compatibility patent filed Yesterday 02/21/2019 by Sony.

• 116 results
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#101 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@the-a-baum said:
@cainetao11 said:

@tormentos: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA Jim Ryan still said it. LOL

And he was just promoted to EU head of Sony Interactive. "also said they must protect the children from Crossplay" and other hits like " no one wants to play old games" " Old games look terrible" Don't forget Andrew house is gone now too, and they are running arrogant as ever.

If they don't at least do BC for PS4 would be a huge mistake.

I believe they will. I own my BC PS3 and will buy a PS5 and hopefully its BC.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Steppy_76 said:

@subspecies: I don't think lems care one way or another. I personally find it funny that it's assumed that the ps5 being able to play older games natively is being taken as a definite that it means bc for games you own. Im gonna laugh if Sony only uses it to run psnow games downloaded to the console.

Yes they do allot BC is one of those incredible few things lemmings now use to brag about.

In fact considering sony is using AMD for all its hardware again it should not even be a problem running PS4 games and even enhancing them,PS3 games are another thing those use an Nvidia GPU and will require licensing,PS2 and PS1 games is fair game for sony since they owned those components and use to make them then self.

Sony has a PS2 emulator for PS3 for years,i don't think they need that shit to emulate those games on PS5,neither PS1 games which sony also owns emulators to run,and i don't think they even need an emulator to run PS4 games,considering the high level of compatibility between hardware.

So maybe they are looking for a way to run all system under 1 umbrella.

Never the less i will not buy a PS5 to play PS4 games for that i have a PS4 which will not stop working the day the PS5 comes out.

If i learn anything from sony,when they are push they answer just look at cross play with the xbox and switch,so probably the cries about BC push them as well,remember sony is not a new comer to BC and they kicked the living ass of MS BC wise having more effect at the expense of losing almost all games is not a good trade off,if sony finds a away to support all those games all hell will break lose,and i see quite a few lemmings hiding their already newer alts on a cave and making new ones.

@i_p_daily said:

BC matters again I see to cows, stay hypocritical and alting lol.

Will laugh my arse off if Sony announce PS Now version 2 for PS5, if that happens it will be a glorious day.

So who is saying that?

PS now is not BC is a damn rental service,it even has PS4 games so the PS4 is BC with it self? Hahahaha

You fanboys are to blind.

Well if BC is supported on PS5 and with more than 1 system i can see quite a few of you running to the cave and opening a new alt..lol

@lundy86_4 said:

Tormentos ready with Google lol.

Well Lundy you are old enough here to know lemmings didn't care about BC and when in did the PS3 was BC with 2 full generation of games they didn't care,they were to busy playing a laggy and buggy gears of war to notice.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

@tormentos said:

Well Lundy you are old enough here to know lemmings didn't care about BC and when in did the PS3 was BC with 2 full generation of games they didn't care,they were to busy playing a laggy and buggy gears of war to notice.

Just so you know, you infer far too much... That being said, that's fanboys on both sides. Cows all of a sudden care now, but ridiculed the Xbox throughout MS' BC process. There's hypocrisy amongst all sides, but that's not to say that thos same individuals hold the same belief.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 tormentos

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Lol... he must have such a fulfilling life.

Yes because it take me so much time to find some of you owning your self..Hahahaa

@kingtito said:

Umm what do those links have anything to do with I've said about cows and BC? Did I argue about having no games? Ohhhhhh I get it, you didn't understand the conversation. It's that darn reading comprehension getting in the way again. Get that looked at el tormented

WTF does THAT have to do with THIS conversation and cows hypocritical 180 on BC? Nothing el tormented. Damn son you're a clown

Oh you're playing the victim card. I get it, the old trusty drumpf supporter argument "bbbbaabbbuuuuttt you did this" how sad is that. Stay on topic or create a cow circle jerk so you cry together.

Bullshit BC didn't matter period and the only reason a blind biased lemming such as your self used it as ammo is because is basically the only thing you have to brag about.

You are making seen as if cow say that they don't buy new systems for old games,i quoted people on 2007 stating the same that they didn't buy a new system to play old games but that time was use against the PS3..

So basically my point is quite clear is not my problem that your fragile mind can't COMPREHEND it. Hahahhahaaa

I backed my argument with links you have nothing,prove to me that you buy an xbox one to play 360 games..hahahahaa

You can't even admit paying for xbox live ahahahhahahaaa...

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#105  Edited By npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@son-goku7523 said:
@kingtito said:

"I don't buy new consoles to play old games" -said all cows

"Gamers don't care about BC, BC isn't needed" - Sony

"Rumble is last gen"settles lawsuit "meet next gen rumble" - Sony

"Online gaming should always be free" Sony starts charging "I'm ok with paying because Sony gives me free games" - all cows

Geez it's no wonder you're considered the clowns of SWs.

These consoles negate your argument.

PS3 had full BC with PS1 and PS2 (not emulation like XB1) last gen and no one from the Xbox camp was eager to buy one. What changed for you guys?

All PS3's weren't ps2 BC though. Only 2 models were at release. Then they wanted to cut cost and removed it. PS1 still worked but that was it. And if you still wanted a BC ps3, you'd worry about ylod and pay more for a second hand console than a brand new one.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

@npiet1 said:
@son-goku7523 said:

PS3 had full BC with PS1 and PS2 (not emulation like XB1) last gen and no one from the Xbox camp was eager to buy one. What changed for you guys?

All PS3's weren't ps2 BC though. Only 2 models were at release. Then they wanted to cut cost and removed it. PS1 still worked but that was it. And if you still wanted a BC ps3, you'd worry about ylod and pay more for a second hand console than a brand new one.

Plus, i'll add to this discussion... It didn't negate any point. Cows have said that BC was a waste ever since MS announced X1 BC.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@lundy86_4: Yeah that's true. I remember that on here when I first joined.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@tormentos said:

@i_p_daily said:

BC matters again I see to cows, stay hypocritical and alting lol.

Will laugh my arse off if Sony announce PS Now version 2 for PS5, if that happens it will be a glorious day.

So who is saying that?

PS now is not BC is a damn rental service,it even has PS4 games so the PS4 is BC with it self? Hahahaha

You fanboys are to blind.

Well if BC is supported on PS5 and with more than 1 system i can see quite a few of you running to the cave and opening a new alt..lol

And yet you can rent PS3 & PS2 games, so its BC only difference is that Sony charge you for it, the company that is "for the payers" lol.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18799 Posts

@subspecies: "Seems as though I've struck a nerve."

Not even close.

@Steppy_76:

Never had a Xbox system.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#110 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@ten_pints: a patent is the right to sell your product using said patent. Switch had to patent the controllers on the side and that was done before. Same reason xbox one and ps4 don't have access the 360 and ps3 digital library while the vita does. Vita has the patent while they don't.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Old games aren't worth playing unless I'm forced to Rebuy them. Well, that's what I Herd!!! :P

$500 consoles with full backwards compatibility can be a really hot item. A real game changer... since November, 2006.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@tormentos said:
@freedomfreak said:

Here's to hoping it will be better than their pitiful efforts this gen.

I don't think they could do much the PS4 CPU is incapable of emulating Cell at all,MS can because the xbox 360 CPU was a joke it was weak and can be emulated easy.

PS4 CPUs can emulate PS3 games equivalent to Xbox 360's 3X PPEs usage level. Not all PS3 games has used the full six SPE cores.

If PS3 game used SPEs to patch the old RSX GPU's features on top of PPE+ two SPE units workload, then it's problematic for PS4's CPU to emulate.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@tormentos said:

2-Thanks we all know BC was an after though of MS after they got their ass kick,but emulating the xbox 360 isn't complicated at all,the GPU inside the xbox 360 was already from AMD and the xbox 360 CPU is a joke that can be emulated even by a shitty jaguar.

Cell on the other hand isn't and if sony emulated GPU calls of Nvidia hardware they would have been force to pay for BC,just like MS had to do when they emulated original xbox game on 360 they had to pay a royalty to Nvidia.

Xbox One's BC with Xbox 360 wasn't after though since XBO's GPU has semi-custom FP10 handling and Jaguar CPU already has server grade virtual machine instruction set.

Xbox One's GPU ROPS behaves like Xbox 360's ROPS in relation embedded memory access, but extra memory access (read/write) feature to DDR3 memory. XBO hardware feature is removed from Xbox One X and it's emulated or translated.

X86 Bswap instructions are big-endian (e.g. PowerPC, 68K) to little endian (e.g. x86) data format conversion instruction i.e. X86 world have been dealing with big endian CPUs since 68K vs X86 CPU wars.

https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris/optimizing-byte-swapping-for-fun-and-profit-v2

AMD64's Bswap instruction is faster. This is important for X86 CPU emulating big-endian CPU like PowerPC.

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/10/23/229212/why-xbox-one-backward-compatibility-took-so-long

The fan-first feature has evolved from an experiment conducted by two separate Microsoft Research teams into a service planned for Xbox One's launch -- complete with hardware hooks baked into the Durango silicon -- until the well-publicized changes to the Xbox One policies (namely, stripping out the always-online requirement for the console) forced it to be pushed to the back burner. It's obviously back for good now, and expanding into original Xbox compatibility of select titles on Xbox One (the first batch of which we announced today). Even the Xbox One X is getting involved, with a handful of Xbox 360 games getting Scorpio-powered enhancements like 10-bit color depth, anisotropic filtering, and up to 9x additional pixel counts displayed on screen. [...]

It was 2007. One of [the research] teams was working on PowerPC CPU emulation -- getting 32-bit code, which the 360 uses, to run on the 64-bit architecture that the third-generation Xbox would be using. The other team, out of Beijing, started writing a virtual GPU emulator based on the Xbox 360 GPU architecture. "These were like peanut butter and chocolate," Microsoft VP of Xbox software engineering Kareem Choudhry recalled. "[So we thought,] 'Why don't we put them both together?'" Choudhry did just that, and so the first steps to Xbox One backwards compatibility were taken, long before the console had a name or anything remotely resembling final specifications. As Durango crystallized, so too did plans for Xbox 360 compatibility on the new machine. "This was primarily a software exercise, but we enabled that by thinking ahead with hardware," Gammill explained. "We had to bake some of the backwards compatibility support into the [Xbox One] silicon." This was done back in 2011. Preliminary tests showed that support for key Xbox middleware XMA audio and texture formats was extremely taxing to do in software alone, with the former, Gammill noted, taking up two to three of the Xbox One's six CPU cores. But a SOC (system on chip) -- basically an Xbox 360 chip inside every Xbox One, similar to how Sony put PS2 hardware inside the launch-era PS3s -- would've not only been expensive, but it would've put a ceiling on what the compatibility team could do. "If we'd have gone with the 360 SOC, we likely would've landed at just parity," he said. "The goal was never just parity." So they built the XMA and texture formats into the Xbox One chipset...

3rd generation Xbox design started back in 2007. Incidentally, this is a similar time period when Apple dumps PowerPC.

BC was NOT an after though of MS

Building PowerPC emulator is not easy.

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Son-Goku7523
Member since 2019 • 955 Posts
@npiet1 said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@kingtito said:

"I don't buy new consoles to play old games" -said all cows

"Gamers don't care about BC, BC isn't needed" - Sony

"Rumble is last gen"settles lawsuit "meet next gen rumble" - Sony

"Online gaming should always be free" Sony starts charging "I'm ok with paying because Sony gives me free games" - all cows

Geez it's no wonder you're considered the clowns of SWs.

No, it negates his point because Phat PS3 had BC and the same Xbox fanboys loving BC now were the ones spreading memes about PS3 having no games...

They didn't rush out and buy the system even though it was the only console to support such extensive BC. It wasn't until Sony dropped PS2 BC and were able to bring the price down that they started selling well. Xbox fanboys are only championing BC now because it's a feature the PS4 doesn't have. I bet next gen if PS5 gets BC, it will go back to not mattering any more for these guys. Xbox fanboys are major flip-floppers too.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By tormentos

@lundy86_4 said:

Plus, i'll add to this discussion... It didn't negate any point. Cows have said that BC was a waste ever since MS announced X1 BC.

Id doesn't negate the fact that lemmings didn't care for BC until MS was the only one with it.

And is documented here and you were HERE when that happen,the PS3 had the biggest BC ever for a console and lemmings didn't care.

Is a fact not my opinion.

@i_p_daily said:

And yet you can rent PS3 & PS2 games, so its BC only difference is that Sony charge you for it, the company that is "for the payers" lol.

You rent PS2,PS3 and PS4 games is not BC,saying something as stupid as that is like saying you are paying for backward compatibility with DVD,blu-ray and vhs when you pay for netflix or hulu.

It makes zero sense what so ever.

But hey MS charge you for xbox and xbox 360 games on gamepass so that means you are paying for BC as well,and is not my problem is you use the games or not they are included on a charge to play service.

Can't have it both ways you know.

@ronvalencia said:

PS4 CPUs can emulate PS3 games equivalent to Xbox 360's 3X PPEs usage level. Not all PS3 games has used the full six SPE cores.

If PS3 game used SPEs to patch the old RSX GPU's features on top of PPE+ two SPE units workload, then it's problematic for PS4's CPU to emulate.

Almost all PS3 games use cell SPE in one way or the other,again the Jaguar inside the PS4 not even the one inside the Pro can emulate Cell period it lack the power to do so.

Sony would have to move Cell process to GPU at least the ones that could not be emulated which mean it would be on a case by case and extremely cumbersome.

Just look at Naughty Dog article on how the ported The Last of US to PS4 they basically had to re write allot of the code to make the game run.

@ronvalencia said:

Xbox One's BC with Xbox 360 wasn't after though since XBO's GPU has semi-custom FP10 handling and Jaguar CPU already has server grade virtual machine instruction set.

Xbox One's GPU ROPS behaves like Xbox 360's ROPS in relation embedded memory access, but extra memory access (read/write) feature to DDR3 memory. XBO hardware feature is removed from Xbox One X and it's emulated or translated.

X86 Bswap instructions are big-endian (e.g. PowerPC, 68K) to little endian (e.g. x86) data format conversion instruction i.e. X86 world have been dealing with big endian CPUs since 68K vs X86 CPU wars.

https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris/optimizing-byte-swapping-for-fun-and-profit-v2

AMD64's Bswap instruction is faster. This is important for X86 CPU emulating big-endian CPU like PowerPC.

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/10/23/229212/why-xbox-one-backward-compatibility-took-so-long

3rd generation Xbox design started back in 2007. Incidentally, this is a similar time period when Apple dumps PowerPC.

BC was NOT an after though of MS

Building PowerPC emulator is not easy.

Stop the bullshit MS damage control will not change anything.

BC was an after though on xbox one and it wasn't announce until summer 2015,if it was a feature that would be set to go it would have been announce since launch,lets not forget that MS announced features that were not on the console on launch why was BC any different?

Anything that was add latter and announce after 2013 was an after thought as simple as that.

The article you are linking there is MS bullshit damage control it was an after thought it was late and it was totally broken and support very few games from the complete library of 360 games.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@tormentos said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Lol... he must have such a fulfilling life.

Yes because it take me so much time to find some of you owning your self..Hahahaa

@kingtito said:

Umm what do those links have anything to do with I've said about cows and BC? Did I argue about having no games? Ohhhhhh I get it, you didn't understand the conversation. It's that darn reading comprehension getting in the way again. Get that looked at el tormented

WTF does THAT have to do with THIS conversation and cows hypocritical 180 on BC? Nothing el tormented. Damn son you're a clown

Oh you're playing the victim card. I get it, the old trusty drumpf supporter argument "bbbbaabbbuuuuttt you did this" how sad is that. Stay on topic or create a cow circle jerk so you cry together.

Bullshit BC didn't matter period and the only reason a blind biased lemming such as your self used it as ammo is because is basically the only thing you have to brag about.

You are making seen as if cow say that they don't buy new systems for old games,i quoted people on 2007 stating the same that they didn't buy a new system to play old games but that time was use against the PS3..

So basically my point is quite clear is not my problem that your fragile mind can't COMPREHEND it. Hahahhahaaa

I backed my argument with links you have nothing,prove to me that you buy an xbox one to play 360 games..hahahahaa

You can't even admit paying for xbox live ahahahhahahaaa...

Of course it did but was anyone bashing the PS3 for having it like cows bashed MS? Did lems say "BC did't matter" and "no one buys a new console to play old games"? Show me a link to those that did cause I sure as hell never said it.

No I'm not making anything seem as if say they don't buy new systems for old games el tormented, they actually said it hahaaha.

Actually you can't comprehend anything, that much is evident with each and every post.

You backed to links proving what? That cows never said "they don't buy new systems to play old games" or that "BC wasn't needed"? I don't care what lems or anyone else said 10 years ago el tormented.

Why would I need to do that? I never made such a claim but what I did say was it's a nice UNEXPECTED feature to have while cows bashed it because the PS4 didn't have it.

Admit to paying for something I don't pay for? Why would anyone admit to paying for something they don't actually pay for? Oh I see, is it because you say you have a PS4 but don't actually have one? You posted pics of your friends I bet because you've yet to share your gamertag while many others have, including yours truly. I've always wondered why it's so hard for you to believe I don't pay for LIVE or PSN and now I know.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

I'm sorta expecting PS4 emulation on the PS5 at this point but if the PS5 is somehow BC with PS3 as well I genuinely fear for my wallet.