NEW Backward Compatibility patent filed Yesterday 02/21/2019 by Sony.

• 116 results
BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

New Potential PS5 Backward Compatibility Patent Filed By Sony Tries To Emulate Bus Operation Of Legacy Devices

Sony has registered a new patent in Japan that just screams PS5 Backward Compatibility.

The patent was published yesterday and is registered to Sony Interactive Entertainment. It further lists one of the inventors to be Mark Cerny, the lead architect of the PS4. Cerny is assumed to be leading development of the PS5 as well.

The title of the patent is “Simulation of legacy bus operation for backward compatibility”, which when you put all the clues together means just one thing. The patent was registered alongside the previously reported “CPUID impersonating” method but was published almost a month later.

A “bus” in technical terms refers to the communication system between the different components inside electronic or computer devices. When reading in detail, the patent mentions Sony using the method to deal with bus interface related issues when executing a legacy application on a new device. The method that Sony patented helps emulate the bus operation of the device the legacy application was designed for. Furthermore, the method can possibly adjust bus performance as well, which could result in “enhanced remasters” something that we covered back in October.

The two patents mentioned, CPUID and Bus Interface, go hand in hand and we expect both of them to be part of the overall Emulation process. PS5 Backward Compatibility is almost a given right now going by the amount of patents that have showed up already and industry people commenting on the possible existence of the feature.

https://gearnuke.com/new-potential-ps5-backward-compatibility-patent-filed-by-sony-tries-to-emulate-bus-operation-of-legacy-devices/

This method of BC seems slightly different than MS's which requires each game to be individually coded to enhance performance and graphics.

This method appears to enhance games at a base operation level without the need to individually code each game. This would remove the need to limit the library of backward compatibility games based on man-hours and additional cost of resources.

Any fears or speculation that Sony would be forcing PS4 remasters on PS5 or trying to hide the BC games behind PSNow looks to be dead in the water.

Sony looks to be trying to re-establish what backward compatibility is supposed to be like. If they somehow manage to extend this feature to PS2 and PS3, you'd literally have to be a non-gamer to pass it by.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

Here's to hoping it will be better than their pitiful efforts this gen.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

Vert interesting.

If this is true, I'll buy PS5 at launch.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

Old games aren't worth playing unless I'm forced to Rebuy them. Well, that's what I Herd!!! :P

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BoxRekt

@freedomfreak said:

Their efforts weren't pitiful they simply couldn't do it.

PS4's CPU was not powerful enough to emulate PS3 and the PS3 Cell tech was too expensive to put in PS4

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2131 Posts

If Sony does PS3 emulation on the PS5, be sure that the software will be ported to PC by moders. No emulation needed for PS4 games, of course, as these are built on same hardware/software as the PS5 will have.

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Utensilman
Member since 2006 • 1571 Posts

Well if it didn’t have BC, theirs no chance in hell I would ever buy it. So far so good but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Sony loves the “remaster” money they’re raking in, no doubt

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#8 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Thanks Microsoft!

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Old games aren't worth playing unless I'm forced to Rebuy them. Well, that's what I Herd!!! :P

It's true! :0

Loading Video...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SecretPolice

@sancho_panzer:

Gluttons for punishment I tellz ya.

lolol :P

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#12 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Who wants to play old games?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69359 Posts

Old games are cool now?

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BoxRekt

@cainetao11 said:

Who wants to play old games?

Gamers apparently, and so do I.

Not sure you know this or not but "old games" somehow didn't matter last gen to a certain demographic you're affiliated with.

It's cute to pretend MS has done something special this gen with their limited BC but let's pretend that Sony didn't have the best BC implementation generations before and actually was at 100%.

But I'm sure "old games" wont matter to you anymore once Sony shows how it's properly done.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BoxRekt

Indeed

@sts106mat said:

New Delivery required

Xbox gamers are quite the flip floppers

But this isn't anything new. You guy are already preparing to flip flop.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

New PS5 Backward Compatibility Patent Filed By Sony Tries To Emulate Bus Operation Of Legacy Devices.

I like the word (Tries), LOL

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

This would significantly improve my enthusiasm for the ps5.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@boxrekt said:
@freedomfreak said:

Their efforts weren't pitiful they simply couldn't do it.

PS4's CPU was not powerful enough to emulate PS3 and the PS3 Cell tech was too expensive to put in PS4

BS

Sony didn't even try because they are charging you to play old games.

FlawlessPoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FlawlessPoop
Member since 2017 • 168 Posts

that doesn't mean that you wont have to buy the game again.

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts

@boxrekt said:

New Potential PS5 Backward Compatibility Patent Filed By Sony Tries To Emulate Bus Operation Of Legacy Devices

https://gearnuke.com/new-potential-ps5-backward-compatibility-patent-filed-by-sony-tries-to-emulate-bus-operation-of-legacy-devices/

This method of BC seems slightly different than MS's which requires each game to be individually coded to enhance performance and graphics.

This method appears to enhance games at a base operation level without the need to individually code each game. This would remove the need to limit the library of backward compatibility games based on man-hours and additional cost of resources.

Any fears or speculation that Sony would be forcing PS4 remasters on PS5 or trying to hide the BC games behind PSNow looks to be dead in the water.

Sony looks to be trying to re-establish what backward compatibility is supposed to be like. If they somehow manage to extend this feature to PS2 and PS3, you'd literally have to be a non-gamer to pass it by.

We'll see just how well things get "enhanced" by mere dumping the game into a future system without doing any modifications to the code or emulation settings. I would say these patents could lead to more accurate emulation without coding, but certainly not enhanced without tinkering.

In what way does this make SONY hiding behind remasters or PSNow dead in the water? IMO this would tie in perfectly to SONY's move to allow PS games to be downloaded from PSNow to play natively. This is no way dispels the notion that PSNow would still be required for older games.

I think the cell is still going to be too difficult for the PS5 CPU to be able to emulate well as well. The cell architecture is different enough due to originally be tasked as the GPU in the PS3(and needed more floating point power as a result). So I wouldn't hold your breath on PS3 emulation either.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts
@SecretPolice said:

Awww, Microsoft's actually going to have to rely on making new QUALITY games to get attention away from Sony instead of bragging about old games this time. Too bad. ?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SecretPolice

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@SecretPolice said:

Awww, Microsoft's actually going to have to rely on making new QUALITY games to get attention away from Sony instead of bragging about old games this time. Too bad. ?

With all the free Mighty X1X 4K BC and GP and megaton insta-hits sure to be viewed as classics and played for the next decade or two like Sea of mofo Thieves and Crackdown 3, my cup it runneth over.

Thank you MS, for the gamerzzz... Jazz. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Not surprised, the upside of having bc next gen is much higher than downsides for Sony

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

I was never too worried about them achieving BC on a technical level, I am more concerned about how they plan on carrying over digital rights and whether they'll honor PS3 user rights for PS1 and PS2 classics, PS4 too for that matter, nice they can take one aspect of BC publishing that's time consuming out of the picture, but I still imagine the publishing bit might still be a drag, like negotiating with publishers to make things available between platforms, this I imagine will be a time consuming endeavor, which is why I hope they hit the ground running next gen building up their BC catalog.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#25  Edited By Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

It would be a game collector's wet dream if the PS5 could play PS1-5 games all in one console!

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

I fully expect it to be BC with PS4 but if it adds PS1,2 and 3? That would be amazing.

Ps: look at my posting history I always wanted BC and it's the one thing Xbox has done right this gen.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I have 300 PS2 games and 180 PS3 games. I would love an all in one system with enhancements. The only thing stopping me at the moment from playing them is I don't have room to hook up all my systems.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DEVILinIRON  Online
Member since 2006 • 8762 Posts

Do you think there will be trophies?

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BoxRekt

@DEVILinIRON said:

Do you think there will be trophies?

If the trade off to having trophies is a limited BC solution like MS has then F that.

I prefer to have a complete collection of titles to choose from rather than a silly feature that really only amounts to saying "good job" for playing your own games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44099 Posts

Well I fully expect the PS5 will be backwards compatible with the PS4 but if they can also make it backwards compatible with the PS1, 2, and 3 then that will be fantastic. However as they say the proof is in the pudding so let’s see how this all pans out.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

How can you even patent something like that. Sony didn't invent emulators.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

meh cool for those who want it. I'm not going to buy a PS5 to play PS4 games I've already played. Don't have that kind of time anymore.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56033 Posts

PS4 not having BC never bother me since I always keep my previous consoles and I bought PS4 to play new games, not going backwards. That said, I hope this happens for PS5 getting BC but for me, I'm happy with my PS4, there's still so much to do and will just remain with PC/Nintendo Switch from this point on.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Man, if this is true I'll be so pumped! Greatness Awaits lol

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

Will be getting a Ps5 but couldn't care less about BC.

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Son-Goku7523
Member since 2019 • 955 Posts

Looking more and more likely that PS5 will dominate next gen.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

"I don't buy new consoles to play old games" -said all cows
"Gamers don't care about BC, BC isn't needed" - Sony
"Rumble is last gen"settles lawsuit "meet next gen rumble" - Sony
"Online gaming should always be free" Sony starts charging "I'm ok with paying because Sony gives me free games" - all cows

Geez it's no wonder you're considered the clowns of SWs.

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Son-Goku7523
@kingtito said:

"Online gaming should always be free" Sony starts charging "I'm ok with paying because Sony gives me free games" - all cows

These consoles negate your argument.

PS3 had full BC with PS1 and PS2 (not emulation like XB1) last gen and no one from the Xbox camp was eager to buy one. What changed for you guys?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@kingtito said:

It's simple. Most gamers keep their consoles like PS2/PS3 so why even bother BC in the first place?

@kingtito said:

So you can now predict the future?

@kingtito said:

Ummm Sony been doing that since PS3 with it's PS+ which was just a loophole cause they couldn't cut off online for turning it into a paywall.

@kingtito said:

I was about ask you the same thing. You are a Joke!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#41 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69359 Posts

It's always funny when people make the argument that they keep their old systems so they don't care for BC. ? Its almost as if they prefer to have more redundant junk laying around with 30 connector hdmi hub.???

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

^I still have my N64 to play Goldeneye cause it never got a port nor a remake. You should know, I'm also a Retro Gamer Pedro.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Regardless of what others say I enjoy playing old games that have received a proper face-lift. I'd love to see some older Rockstar titles be remastered or Legend of the Dragoon but that is doubtful...lol.

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Son-Goku7523
@davillain- said:

^I still have my N64 to play Goldeneye cause it never got a port nor a remake. You should know, I'm also a Retro Gamer Pedro.

I'm a retro gamer as well but even then his argument doesn't make sense. If Sony had a long standing policy of no BC he would have a point but the PS4 is the only console Sony has made without BC. All their previous consoles had BC and even better BC than Xbox since they didn't do emulation but actually had hardware built into them specifically for BC. It's obvious the PS4 didn't have BC with PS3 because the CELL chip was impossible to emulate with the Jaguar inside the PS4. They also had PS Now making revenue for them and didn't want to jeopardize that but with digital libraries becoming a big part of this gen it's obvious that BC with PS5 will be important moving forward.

A lot of people with huge digital library of PS4 games will easily transition to the PS5 if you tell them that all their games will be playable on PS5. It's a huge win for Sony if they can transfer the userbase from PS4 to PS5 easily since they have such a huge advantage there this gen. BC is clearly not a big factor this gen otherwise the XB1 wouldn't be struggling to stay relevant against 2 consoles without BC (PS4 and Switch) but moving forward into next gen it could be an important factor for Sony.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kingtito

@son-goku7523 said:
@kingtito said:

PS3 had full BC with PS1 and PS2 (not emulation like XB1) last gen and no one from the Xbox camp was eager to buy one. What changed for you guys?

How so? Cows have been saying all gen BC wasn't needed and didn't buy new consoles to play old games. Those console in no way invalidate what I've said here. Nice try though

X1s BC wasn't even supposed to happen due to the differences between the 360 and X1 architecture. It was a bonus that cows tried to shit on but now you're all for it.

Yeah, clowns of SWs

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BoxRekt

@davillain- said:

Xbox fanboys seem to be delusional living in a bubble where somehow they are the only true gamers and try to post as if they are speaking from a moral high ground to other gamers.

I don't know where they got this idea that they can speak as representatives of all gamers when the only things you ever hear them stand up for and make noise about is whatever gimmick or marking advantage MS happens to have at the time.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kingtito

@davillain- said:
@kingtito said:

It's simple. Most gamers keep their consoles like PS2/PS3 so why even bother BC in the first place?

@kingtito said:

So you can now predict the future?

@kingtito said:

Ummm Sony been doing that since PS3 with it's PS+ which was just a loophole cause they couldn't cut off online for turning it into a paywall.

@kingtito said:

I was about ask you the same thing. You are a Joke!

Proof to back that up? I don't keep my old consoles and I don't know a single person that did unless they're a game collector. I would bet the large majority of gamers, you know those casuals, don't.

The rumble reference was pointing to Sony's hypocrisy with rumble then and BC now. It was Sony that BC wasn't a feature it's gamers wanted or cared about. How is that claiming I can tell the future?

No, Sony didn't charge to play online games unlike this gen. Cows were saying all gen how online gaming should be free like it is on PC. You cows constantly trashed LIVE and MS because they charged to play online. Funny how that all changed once Sony starting charging on the low. They couldn't even bother to let gamers know ahead of time.

And you're a clown and hypocrite. Guess that makes us even huh cow? Go cry in your corner son.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

PlayStation always playing catch up with PC features.

Our GFX and Performance (always behind), Online Gaming (far far behind), E-sports (miles behind), Mods (light years far behind), and now BC (will probably stay behind as well).

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Son-Goku7523
@kingtito said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@kingtito said:

How so? Cows have been saying all gen BC wasn't needed and didn't buy new consoles to play old games. Those console in no way invalidate what I've said here. Nice try though

X1s BC wasn't even supposed to happen due to the differences between the 360 and X1 architecture. It was a bonus that cows tried to shit on but now you're all for it.

Yeah, clowns of SWs

Post evidence of cows "shitting" on BC, I'll wait.

You can't just sit down here and be posting crap you made up, you need evidence to back up such a claim.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7219 Posts

I've had no problem with the way they went about bc this generation the only problem is the PS3 support which has proved very difficult to emulate. The ps2 games even had trophy support which was another plus.