More info validating that Nintendo NX will be cartridge based

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1238179

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/06/trademark_listing_adds_fuel_to_talk_of_nintendo_nx_using_cartridges

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/06/23/nintendo-nx-cartridge-rumor-evidence-trademark/

Didnt see a thread for this.

Back in early May the Nintendo NX rumour mill produced an interesting bit of chatter, with suggestions that the new system could utilise cartridges as media for its games, likely instead of discs. Like all rumours it was treated with a healthy dose of scepticism, but it wasn't entirely illogical - cartridge and memory card media is cheaper, smaller and has more storage than in the past (as seen with 3DS and Vita), and would suit hardware that potentially has both home and portable components.

Well, now there's extra fuel to the fire. Eagle-eyed NeoGAF user Atheerios noticed interesting wording in the US trademark filing for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In the goods and services category it lists 'video game cartridges' and 'video game memory cards':

Downloadable electronic game programs; downloadable electronic video game software; electronic game programs; electronic game software; video game cartridges; video game discs; video game memory cards; video game programs; video game software

This is interesting as, of course, it's a dual release on Wii U and NX. We checked multiple listings for Wii U games, and they only list discs and downloadable methods, while 3DS games naturally reference cartridges as a core category. As a note of caution some of these listings do try to cover bases for the future - in some cases 3DS games only list cartridge media and variations, while others (like for Ever Oasis and Monster Hunter Generations) also reference other media types.

With that cautionary note acknowledged, this is nevertheless an interesting spot. With Wii U and 3DS listings typically distinct in this area, the fact Breath of the Wild includes cartridges and memory cards does add an extra dynamic to the conversation over the distribution methods Nintendo will use with its NX hardware. With media such as cartridges and cards now supporting plenty of space and dropping in price, it's not an outlandish idea.

Let us know what you think below. Do you think it's feasible that we'll play the likes of Breath of the Wild off a small cartridge or card-based media on NX?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#2 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Its a good way to make sure people dont give a crap about your console. Games are mostly digital these days. "Screw Bluray, I have my vhs!!"

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69548 Posts

@hillelslovak said:

Its a good way to make sure people dont give a crap about your console. Games are mostly digital these days. "Screw Bluray, I have my vhs!!"

Cartridge is significantly faster than blu-ray.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@hillelslovak said:

What's wrong with carts? Also you'll still have the option to download games if you want.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@hillelslovak said:

What's wrong with carts? Also you'll still have the option to download games if you want.

I dislike them more on a resource scale. Too much wasted plastic. CDs too, Im not some laser writing fanboy or anything.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FireEmblem_Man

@hillelslovak said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@hillelslovak said:

I dislike them more on a resource scale. Too much wasted plastic. CDs too, Im not some laser writing fanboy or anything.

Well, at least digital download is still an option. I prefer carts because I hate having to install games and have my HDD get more wasted space. But it's different strokes for different folks I guess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@hillelslovak said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@hillelslovak said:

Well, at least digital download is still an option. I prefer carts because I hate having to install games and have my HDD get more wasted space. But it's different strokes for different folks I guess.

Weren't cartridges phased out because they could not hold nearly as much information as discs? Has the technology improved, because I have heard nothing about cartridges in 15 years.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FireEmblem_Man

@hillelslovak said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@hillelslovak said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@hillelslovak said:

Weren't cartridges phased out because they could not hold nearly as much information as discs? Has the technology improved, because I have heard nothing about cartridges in 15 years.

If you have been following the handhelds, the highest capacity holds in 8 GB, and SanDisk has helped Nintendo with increasing memory. I expect 32 GB to be the norm or even higher for storing uncompressed data.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Awesome, if true. Performance wise, they'll run circles around discs.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Nintendo is fucked

A regular console cannot compete with PS/Xbox

A gimmick console will be a gamble and most likely fail

Handhelds are dying because of smartphones

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@hillelslovak said:

There are plenty of people who prefer cartridges (I'm one of them). And cartridges have many advantages over blu-ray such as better durability, no load times, and saves and updates can be permanently written to the cartridge. In fact, there is nothing that a disc can do that a cartridge can't do better, except be produced cheaper. I would be excited if the NX uses cartridges.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69548 Posts

@magicalclick said:

I do not believe it is as cheap as HDD or much faster than HDD, which can be used to store different digital content.

It may not be cheaper than standard HDD per GB but it would be faster.

SuperClocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SuperClocks
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

I would much rather the NX use cartridges. Not only are they much faster, and therefore no game installs would be required, but I am beyond tired of my kids scratching every disk that they get their hands on...

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#15 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

Manufacturing wise this would mean they wont have to make their own disc reader which the market is lacking for a company that cannot produce one for itself.

I've already asked people why they would switch to cartridge and one of the reasons is those readers are going out of style and the new thing in is digital thus making it hard to find a way to produce them.

Sony and Microsoft have a million ways to do it but Nintendo is only a gaming company.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@me2002 said:

Nintendo is fucked

lol another non-informed consumer/fanboy that thinks if the comp doesn't do exactly like their precious Sony or Microsoft, they're doing it wrong.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I love this so much. I love Nintendo being weird and doing things in ways you did not expect. All the consoles used to be interesting in a way. These generations it's only Nintendo who is interesting. Their open mind makes me excited about their next console. There is zero excitement in me for the Scorpio or Neo. They are a known quantity.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:
@me2002 said:

Nintendo is fucked

lol another non-informed consumer/fanboy that thinks if the comp doesn't do exactly like their precious Sony or Microsoft, they're doing it wrong.

please, inform me on how Nintendo can make successful consoles and handhelds from here on

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44574 Posts

I'm still holding out hope for hybrid capabilities, hearing rumors like this strengthens my resolve.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17662 Posts

I'm down for cartridges.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

Most people that play these consoles are majority kids and teenagers they don't know about cartridges

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#22 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Seems interesting. Loading times for Nintendo consoles is short as it is, this could make them lightning fast.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Cartridges are excellent. Plus this promotes the idea of console/handheld cross play. Moving from the console to the handheld will be as easy as popping out the cart from the console, and putting it in the hand held and there you go. Faster load times, and the storage issue isn't an issue anymore. I wouldn't be shocked in the least if the carts have a max storage of 64 GB. Plus less moving parts and no worries about disc drives breaking down, scratched discs or one wrong move cracking a disc.

Plus it will most likely get that hipster vibe that will get people into it because they haven't seen carts in forever.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#24 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@StrongDeadlift:

Peops keep forgetting that cartridges are just another form memory storage. Like memory sticks and cards or hard drives. The cartridges could have any amount of memory Nintendo wants, it won't held them back at all. And in retrospect, it's a pretty cool nostalgic gimmick! ?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44087 Posts

Like the N64, will you sometimes need to blow into the cartridge to get them to work? lol :P

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bunchanumbers

@SecretPolice said:

Like the N64, will you sometimes need to blow into the cartridge to get them to work? lol :P

I never had that problem since the NES. Plus that I don't think that'll be a issue. Cartridges are in Nintendo's wheelhouse. Its like the only thing they couldn't mess up.

......hopefully.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SecretPolice

@bunchanumbers said:
@SecretPolice said:

I never had that problem since the NES. Plus that I don't think that'll be a issue. Cartridges are in Nintendo's wheelhouse. Its like the only thing they couldn't mess up.

......hopefully.

We and many I've talked to had to do that now & then with N64, perhaps dusty homes is all. lol

BTW, I was mostly just kidding around.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@SecretPolice:

Was I only one who actually enjoyed blowing dust out of carts? To me it became gaming routine every time I plug in the ol' SNES. With early ps1 cd's, it was kind of unsatisfying. It's hard to describe why... ?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SecretPolice

@killered3:

Yep, is was almost like a reflex, pull game out and before plugging new game in, give a blow just for good measure, and LMAO at that last part.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#30 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@hillelslovak said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@hillelslovak said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@hillelslovak said:

I think it was price. It was too expensive to make a cartridge that could compete with disc.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Back to actual console plug and play..yes please! :P

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nepu7supastar7

@SecretPolice:

I must've blown Earthworm Jim a thousand times by now! LOL Seriously, it was a damn good game!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SecretPolice

@killered3:

lol... You a funny guy/gal. :)

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

O yeah, please have cartridges NX, please do.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: 32 gb max is it? So NX will not be getting games the size of metal gear 5 or the witcher 3 then

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By iandizion713

@jcrame10: Just download the 30g patch.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts
@me2002 said:
@Bigboi500 said:
@me2002 said:

Nintendo is fucked

please, inform me on how Nintendo can make successful consoles and handhelds from here on

just do what microsoft/sony do ;)

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 iandizion713

@Sphensen: O please no, i dont want no rehash console with just improved graphics.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

I can't wait!

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Sphensen said:
@me2002 said:
@Bigboi500 said:
@me2002 said:

Nintendo is fucked

just do what microsoft/sony do ;)

Uh huh, because Microsoft is having a grand ol' time being PS4's younger less interesting console twin.

Go big or go home.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

@killered3 said:

@SecretPolice:

I must've blown Earthworm Jim a thousand times by now! LOL Seriously, it was a damn good game!

I read that wrong lol

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Games are getting more complex and require more space...I don't know how this will be a good thing as far as 3rd party goes when bigger mainstream games like GTA and The Witcher ect come out.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iandizion713

@casharmy: Youll just have to play the game while it downloads the rest. And since its on a cartridge, will be super fast.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bunchanumbers

@casharmy said:

Games are getting more complex and require more space...I don't know how this will be a good thing as far as 3rd party goes when bigger mainstream games like GTA and The Witcher ect come out.

If rumor is true the base version of the cart will be 32 GB. I'm sure that there will be an expanded space version that holds 64 GB. It won't be that bad.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56137 Posts

@shadowchronicle said:

Manufacturing wise this would mean they wont have to make their own disc reader which the market is lacking for a company that cannot produce one for itself.

I've already asked people why they would switch to cartridge and one of the reasons is those readers are going out of style and the new thing in is digital thus making it hard to find a way to produce them.

Sony and Microsoft have a million ways to do it but Nintendo is only a gaming company.

Companies would have to purchase the cards, which more likely than not is more expensive than discs are now especially if Nintendo reverts to their old-school policies, where companies had to buy cartridges from them and couldn't return any surplus; you wouldn't think Nintendo would be that silly nowadays, but, well... who knows.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SecretPolice

@davillain- said:
@shadowchronicle said:

Companies would have to purchase the cards, which more likely than not is more expensive than discs are now especially if Nintendo reverts to their old-school policies, where companies had to buy cartridges from them and couldn't return any surplus; you wouldn't think Nintendo would be that silly nowadays, but, well... who knows.

They'd never get away with that these days, they don't have that kind of muscle in the market place like back in those days.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#47  Edited By Star67
Member since 2005 • 5169 Posts

Why are people citing scratched discs as a negative? Do you know how hard it is to scratch a BluRay disc? You have to take a knife to it and do it on purpose. Heck it could still play even after that.

It's why GameStops new damage coverage covers full on breaks like from being stepped on.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Man I really hope it's true, carts would be awesome. Industry should've never gone away from them.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@Pedro said:
@hillelslovak said:

Cartridge is significantly faster than blu-ray.

Why the heck you are full of excuses , you sheep ?

Cartridges mean 2 things.

1) Way more costly , both for Nintendo and the 3rd party developers.

2) which will lead to make 3rd parties rethink if they want to jump on NX

The same issue 3rd parties had with N64. It was so pricey to have your game on cartridges and GUESS how many units you gonna sold so you wont have a significant loss over the unsold ones. ITs a big mess!

If this rumor is true then Nintendo is playing with fire here.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I'm sure they could use basic USB type technology for expanded size in the cartridge. It's far faster than bluray. If they go the cartridge way, at least there's a great chance that you won't have to "install first" for over an hour before playing your games.